Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Y2KSVT New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 03:03 PM
Well, I'm not going to get everyone's hopes up, or start a thread in the Group Buy forum; but I will tell you that I'm looking at a new custom hood possibility for atleast the 98+ Contours.

Lastnight, I emailed Terry Delong of Profinish-Proglass(www.profinish-proglass.com), asking him about the possibility of creating and/or producing a hood for the 98+ Contours. If you've never heard of Terry Delong, just look him up in Google. You'll find some links to some of the dodge trucks that he's done work on, that have been featured in magazines. He's done work on Explorers, F150's, and I believe I saw him recently in a badass Pontiac Solstice, with a 2-tone paint job.

Basically, this guy does things right! His work is always tasteful, and gets attention. He's located just an hour north of me, so getting a hood to him wouldn't be a problem for me.

Like I said, I just emailed him lastnight, asking him if he'd be interested in this. I know he's a busy guy, so I'll give him some time to respond. What I'm asking now, is what you all would like to possibly see done? Another cowl hood with no "bird bath," an OEM replacement, something totally different? I don't believe he does anything with Carbon Fiber, so it would most likely be in fiberglass. I'll get more info from him, hopefully soon!

Mark
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 03:13 PM
This type hood needs to be done so it looks stock on our cars:

What needs to be different is this: Instead of a rectangular shape, it needs to be a wide parabolic curve. If it's curved, it will flow with the lines of the car rather than compete with them. The vents can still be placed in pretty much the same place.

This hood done correctly would be absolutely smoking hot!
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 05:26 PM
I agree with IringTwice. I never liked how the cowl on that hood was so squared off. Would look better if made as more of a parabola shape. Still a little flat on the front, but not as much as that one.

Cowl hood with no birdbath would be cool too.

Or what about a stock hood with some rear facing vents like this:

I imagine the vents being smaller, and more towards the back corners. Dont know how it would look. Photoshop anyone?
Posted By: starjammir Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 05:41 PM
Cowl FTW. Id be down for a cowl hood.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 06:30 PM
I've never thought that any style hood other than stock looked good on the contour. I'd personally want an oem style hood.
Posted By: starjammir Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 08:31 PM
You can still buy OEM CF ones I believe. Someone correct me if I am wrong
Posted By: Jason43 Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 08:35 PM
Originally posted by starjammir:
You can still buy OEM CF ones I believe. Someone correct me if I am wrong

You can find the 95-97 ones all over the place. The 98-00's are a little tougher to come by without getting raped on the price.
Posted By: starjammir Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 08:40 PM
Thanks for correcting me on this
Posted By: Jason43 Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 08:51 PM
If nothing works out with profinish, I contacted this place the other day about their hood: 95-97 CF hood . They dont carry hoods for later model cars, but said their supplier can do a group buy. They would be the same price as the 95-97 hoods and can do them in oem, evo or cowl. They would need 10 people and a hood.
Posted By: BigBEN_dup1 Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 10:44 PM
id say just take the OEM hood and add a VERY small cowl to it..that would look SWEET

COWL FTW!!!
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/23/06 11:58 PM
Originally posted by BigBEN:
id say just take the OEM hood and add a VERY small cowl to it..that would look SWEET

COWL FTW!!!

x2
Posted By: CSVT.UA.SHO Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 12:36 AM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:

COWL FTW!!!

x2

x3........sorta like the SRT-4 has in its hood.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 12:48 AM
Originally posted by CSVT.UA.SHO:

COWL FTW!!!

x2

Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 03:24 PM

COWL FTW!!!

x2

That's not a cowl...that's a hood vent.

This is a cowl:

notice how the raised area goes all the way to the "cowl"...the vent is just that, a vent. In the olden days the area in the rear of the hood was open, to allow for "cowl induction"...you young'ins

Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 04:42 PM
maybe something like a 03/04 cobra hood?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 04:47 PM
oem cf hood

Posted By: debos99csvt Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 04:58 PM
Originally posted by PeppermintPatty:

COWL FTW!!!

x2

That's not a cowl...that's a hood vent.

This is a cowl:

notice how the raised area goes all the way to the "cowl"...the vent is just that, a vent. In the olden days the area in the rear of the hood was open, to allow for "cowl induction"...you young'ins

x4
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
oem cf hood

They are already produced, and.....

Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
I don't believe he does anything with Carbon Fiber, so it would most likely be in fiberglass.

Mark
Posted By: KerryKool Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 06:54 PM
I like the SRT-4 scoop. And with the way are hood is designed, it would look OEM.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 07:17 PM
pepper, i know the dif between scoops and cowls...I posted a pic of the srt-4 hood because someone mentioned it. It's nicer to have all the pictures here to sort of brainstorm.

What this thread really needs is someone who can do a decent job at photoshop. Then we can get some sort of real image and see how everything would flow with the hood and body lines.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 07:43 PM
If somebody could get a good pic (larger is better) of the hood of their car, I could do my best to photoshop the scoop(s) into the hood.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 10:10 PM
I think this hood would look really good on our cars w/ or w/out the "central vents" (I tend to like the vents). The double cowl looks awesome in person on stangs whether it be the fox bodies or this more curvy body style (which is why I think it would look good on the tour).

It looks really good on this stang w/ the splitter...I can imagine how good it would look on a SVT w/ a Mirko

side view

front view

Posted By: posthuman63t Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/24/06 11:04 PM
Originally posted by KerryKool:
If somebody could get a good pic (larger is better) of the hood of their car, I could do my best to photoshop the scoop(s) into the hood.

Here's some old pics of my car....hopefully they'll help

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/25/06 02:25 AM
We should have Chris @ CTA just put his stock SRT-4 silver hood on his silver CSVT.

If I have anything to say about the design, then I'd rather it not be a direct copy of another hood, unless it's atleast a Ford. I almost had a body guy make me a Saleen hood, but I never kept up with it. An 03/04 Cobra hood would look pretty cool as well. Otherwise, I think something aftermarket looking would be best.

Mark
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/25/06 01:14 PM
If he's good and can modify w/o detracting from the lines of the car that would be cool. I'd rather have FG because unpainted CF is not cool unless it's a black car or some of the hood has paint on it.
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/25/06 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
We should have Chris @ CTA just put his stock SRT-4 silver hood on his silver CSVT.

HAHA I don't think Chris would want to take his CF hood off .

I can't wait to see what hood ends up being available .

Aaron
Posted By: BigBEN_dup1 Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/25/06 01:57 PM
u all know how the oem hood has the 2 "creases" in it, i think that if we made a small cowl out of that it would look good, nothing too drastic but enough to catch someones attention!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/25/06 02:02 PM
Originally posted by todras:
If he's good

I wish you could see his work in person. Perfection is the only word that comes to mind.

I still haven't heard back from him, but I don't know how often he checks emails, or if he's possibly out of town. If I don't hear back from him by middle of next week, I'll just give him a call. Who knows if he'll be up for this. I'll definitely keep everyone posted! Just getting ideas right now.

Mark
Posted By: Sl33stak Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/25/06 07:36 PM
u all know how the oem hood has the 2 "creases" in it, i think that if we made a small cowl out of that it would look good, nothing too drastic but enough to catch someones attention!

+1
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/25/06 09:41 PM
I agree with big ben here. At the creases if i got raised to a cowl hood so that by the cowl itself, the hood was an inch or so higher...it would be a nice subtle change, but noticable to those who look.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: New hood ideas!! - 08/25/06 11:07 PM
I agree with big ben here. At the creases if i got raised to a cowl hood so that by the cowl itself, the hood was an inch or so higher...it would be a nice subtle change, but noticable to those who look.

Even more so on the pre-98's...

© CEG Archives