Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Berkel Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 03:18 AM
Photoshopped them, wanted to see whether or not people thought they looked good or hideous.

I love them on black SVT's and wondered how it looked on mine

Also, does anyone know how to access the inner side of the body behind the sideskirt? Had a big misshap while jacking up the car and bent the body beneathe the sideskirt, you can barely see it but I still wanted to bend it out best I could
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 04:00 AM
As long as you can still see some red through them, go for it
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 04:25 AM
Tinted tails look smokin' if you've got your windows tinted dark. The all-over blacked out look is sah-weet! I think it looks good on all colors, but bestest(sic) on silver and other light colors where the contrast is more pronounced.
Posted By: Berkel Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 04:27 AM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Tinted tails look smokin' if you've got your windows tinted dark. The all-over blacked out look is sah-weet! I think it looks good on all colors, but bestest(sic) on silver and other light colors where the contrast is more pronounced.

Well within the next year I do have planned: darker tint, eyelids, 19's, and mirko

But the list stops there. Time to search the forums how to tint them
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 04:34 AM
Search for "nightshades."

This is on my to-do list for my silver SE. Already have the dark tint (20% doors, 5% back window). Once you get the dark tint, you should seriously consider blacking out the b-pillar. It makes a world of difference in the look of the car, and is a dirt cheap mod! Thought I was getting 18s this week, but legal matters have forced me to use the money for other things.

Don't forget before and after pics!
Posted By: Berkel Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 04:40 AM
Search for "nightshades."

Thanks
Posted By: jtour Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 01:54 PM
I say no. The car looks like with the red reflector.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 03:16 PM
Josh's (Pole120) prolly has the best tinted tails I have seen! they are a medium coat and extra glossy
Posted By: Frosty Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 04:01 PM
MLuko has tinted tails on his T-Red SVT. Here's his cardomain:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/635463/7
They look hawt in person, trust me
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 04:41 PM
See? Just needs tinted windows to complete the look!

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 05:19 PM
he does have tinted windows now..

here's mine

went from this

to this

Posted By: bradSVT Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 06:20 PM

I know this is off subject but really fast. What size tips are those? 4 inch?
Posted By: Berkel Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/21/06 07:26 PM
Originally posted by bradSVT:

I know this is off subject but really fast. What size tips are those? 4 inch?

They are the 4" magnaflow tips. Back when I was about to get Trubendz I was going to get those same tips. I think the trubendz come with the 3" of the same tip but you have to order the 4" special.

And yeah, my windows ARE tinted, but only 50% and I want them a lot darker. Thanks for the pics, it looks even a lot better than I thought on a TRed
Posted By: MLuko Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/22/06 12:18 AM
you posted an old pic.. I have tint now..

Enjoy
:edit: brake light visibality is also good during bright days
Posted By: BenC Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/22/06 07:41 PM
I tinted mine, and I think they look fine. Be better if I didn't do them at night, so I need to redo one of them since it's a little light, but they look great. NiteShades and a clear coat. Make sure you get a good clear coat. I did mine and it started to come off. Not sure what caused it. Cougar lights still looked fine when I sold it over a year later. And then when my brother sold it 2 years later, except for this part:

Here's the Cavalier and Bronco lights, the clear is coming off both, so you wanna get a different kind. I think the Krylon Fusion has worked for others I've seen. A Krylon Clear Glaze was used here. Still looks fine on the Contour after a couple months. Car isn't here to take pics, though.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/23/06 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
Josh's (Pole120) prolly has the best tinted tails I have seen! they are a medium coat and extra glossy

Thanks Goonz!

Originally posted by MLuko:

Perfect pic Mark!

Left: Pole120 - single coat glossy no clear(old niteshades forumla, went on like butta)
Center: MLuko - two coats and clear(new niteshades formula required clear and was a PITA to use...i did them for him)
Right: Stock
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/23/06 05:03 PM
Pole, you think u can do a set for me! I want mine EXACTLY like yours but I messed up with mine..bah!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/23/06 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
Pole, you think u can do a set for me! I want mine EXACTLY like yours but I messed up with mine..bah!

I'd have to seriously think about it....i'm not at all impressed with te last can of niteshades i used and i'm not 100% sure i can recreate what i did on mine....at the very minimum you'ld have to have them clear-coated after i tinted them...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/23/06 06:42 PM
Can anyone post pictures of the 2 different cans to figure out which one I have?

I bought can of Niteshades off eBay a while ago, brand new, but the can itself looks old as hell. Not sure which one I have.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/23/06 08:09 PM
From my experience:

Old: small spray can
New: normal size spray can

The little can lasted longer than the big one. I could ahve done 2 sets of tails with the little can VS. one with the big can

Remember i'm only speculating they changed something in their product...i could have just gotten a bad can or something else....
Posted By: MLuko Re: Tinted Taillights, yay, or nay? - 08/23/06 11:53 PM
I can clear them for an extra 10 bucks if Pole does them and no.. it wont be rattlecan clearcoat..
© CEG Archives