Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tourige Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 03:59 AM
Well as most of you know the Contour SVT's have some WICKED bumper sag, i was sick of mine looking stupid and ghetto so i decided to make something up.

Basically all i did was take some 2"x1 1/2" Wood, Cut it to an appropriet length, wrap it with some Carpet foam and then shove it inbewteen the bumper and the body.

If you look up bewteen the bumper and the bodywork you'll notice that there is nothing in the way to push the bumper sag out, my mod pushes it out so it looks nice.

I've had these on my car for over 5 months, they have not ever fallen out, and i've been to the track and on open track days and nothing, they have not even moved.

Here are some pics:
Before:

After:

Posted By: Berkel Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 04:41 AM
Gonna have to try this out
Posted By: Tourige Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 05:30 AM
Edit: no text
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 01:19 PM
I'd say good job, but that didn't really fix the bumper sag. That gap isn't any smaller than the original picture.

If you looked around, there is a how-to for this. Where the bumper bolts on, there is enough room in the bolt holes, to thread a 2nd bolt in, from the other side. This lifts the bumper to its original position, and leaves no room for the bumper to slide/sag.

Mark
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 01:24 PM
It looks to have closed the gap some. What I can't figure out is the need for rubber gloves to handle wood and foam. Are we mysophobic or something?

Posted By: Tourige Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 07:04 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
It looks to have closed the gap some. What I can't figure out is the need for rubber gloves to handle wood and foam. Are we mysophobic or something?

I was doing some other mods that day, i think they were something internally like engine work.

It fixes the sag IN not down. The bolt-fix does not fix the movement inwards of the bumper.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 07:15 PM
I see. By the thread title, and the way your pics were taken, I was under the impression that you were fixing the bumper sag. Sag = down. What is making the bumper cave in? The weight of the back bumper, and the crappy design of the bolt holes is what makes it sag downward, but I'm not sure what would make it cave in like yours is.

Mark
Posted By: Tourige Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 07:22 PM
My Brother has a SVT contour, my buddy has one, and i know a girl who has another one and they ALL do it.

Go otuside to yours and feel from the body to the bumper, if there is a dip then that is what im eliminating.
Posted By: Berkel Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
My Brother has a SVT contour, my buddy has one, and i know a girl who has another one and they ALL do it.

Go otuside to yours and feel from the body to the bumper, if there is a dip then that is what im eliminating.

Mine has that too. No sag, but the bumper sinks under the rear fender like your car.

Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/14/06 08:33 PM
Mine does both sag, and sinks in. The sinking in is from flaring the fenders a bit tho.
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/15/06 04:20 AM
my old bumper was fine, but when i put pole120/joshes on i got the same thing only worse and i have an se. i'll have to try this
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/15/06 04:46 AM
There is a regular How-to in the how-to section on this.

Ross was the model for the pictures...

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=14
Posted By: svtavino_dup1 Re: Bumper Sag Fix How-to - 08/15/06 04:35 PM
My car has the same thing. I was thinking of sticking a tennis ball up there but might try this. My bumper is also popping up in the center and the trunk is just barely hitting and is now leaving marks.
© CEG Archives