Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tourige Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 03:28 AM
alright, im starting on my retrofit change pod guage for my wideband 02 sensor.

Ive got everything i need, the bezel, the guage, the pod im using as a base, bondo glass, bondo hair, and bondo body filler.

Anyone got any super suggestions? im thinking ill dremel out what needs to be removed for everything, then sand the base down. Then ill start with the bondo, first with the hair, then glass, then body filler. After that it should be good for a prime and a paint.

Posted By: Steeda. Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 03:36 AM
Dude your a Douche!!!!!!!

Pudmunkie told you what to do i was right there. Now your acting like its your ingenius idea?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Decepticon:

Pudmunkie told you what to do i was right there. Now your acting like its your ingenius idea?

Thanks.. Please tell me where i said it was my smart idea.

and yes, i asked Pudmunkie, and he gave me some VERY good information, im just looking to see if anyone else knew anything. Calm the [censored] down.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 03:45 AM
Just take your time.

You shouldnt have any issues with cracking, but be careful when you flex the thing. Hair will only grip to a point then it will left unless its wrapped around surfaces.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Just take your time.

You shouldnt have any issues with cracking, but be careful when you flex the thing. Hair will only grip to a point then it will left unless its wrapped around surfaces.

is Bondo glaze necessary? They didnt have any at Canadian tire.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 05:20 AM
Good luck, I finished mine a while ago but I did it with a oil pressure guage. It's really easy to do.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 03:30 PM
got it all cut out, so that the "pod" sits in snugly.

In case someone dosent know, im using some plumbing connecter as my base for the guage, i found a piece that fits the guage PERFECTLY so its really nice.

Just need to put it in the car to see how i like the position.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 04:10 PM
No pictures?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Pole120:
No pictures?

camera is at Nikon getting a new lens.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

and yes, i asked Pudmunkie, and he gave me some VERY good information, im just looking to see if anyone else knew anything. Calm the [censored] down.

Pud has finished working on mine and has provided pics, and let me tell you, just take his advice and take your time and it'll end up great.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 06:29 PM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:

Pud has finished working on mine and has provided pics, and let me tell you, just take his advice and take your time and it'll end up great.

yea ill probably work on it for a couple hours a night for this next week.

Any idea on how long the Bondo should take to harden?
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 06:40 PM
It should say on the can, but its usually around 30min IIRC. Not very long at all.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 06:44 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
It should say on the can, but its usually around 30min IIRC. Not very long at all.

Im at work, just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks!
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 07:15 PM

Any idea on how long the Bondo should take to harden?

It all depends on how much hardener you add. If it is Mixed properly (which I seem to never be able to do) i would agree with about 30 min.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 08:14 PM
Working time on bondo filler, glass, and hair is only about 5 minutes. It takes 20 minutes to fully cure.

I ussually start sanding after 15 mins....

The putty glaze is not necessary, but it helps. You will have all these tiny little divets when you finish with the glass. most of those will fill with bodyfiller. However some tiny ones will be left as well as some of the deeper sanding lines. It just means you need to use more filler primer and more wetsanding.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 09:57 PM
Working time on bondo filler, glass, and hair is only about 5 minutes. It takes 20 minutes to fully cure.

Maybe I have been mixing it right...
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 10:36 PM

I ussually start sanding after 15 mins....

The putty glaze is not necessary, but it helps. You will have all these tiny little divets when you finish with the glass. most of those will fill with bodyfiller. However some tiny ones will be left as well as some of the deeper sanding lines. It just means you need to use more filler primer and more wetsanding.

im only doing the single pod so i dont think it will be as labour intensive as the tri-pod you and steeda did.

But thanks for the tips, im starting the moulding tonight, should be hella fun.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 10:43 PM
that lazy bastard steeda didnt really do any labor. Unless you count telling me to read a book labor ;p I keep him around for motivation....
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/25/06 11:42 PM
that lazy bastard steeda didnt really do any labor. Unless you count telling me to read a book labor ;p I keep him around for motivation....

Motivates you to ram a screwdriver through your skull im guessing.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/26/06 02:26 AM
He tells me to drink more beer, have more unprotected encounters with various females, and to read more books. Anything a good mentor would do!
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/26/06 02:31 AM
Yup!

I don't do work!! I get paid alot to supervise
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/26/06 02:35 AM
haha.

Alrighty, so i started today, did a good coating of Bondo Hair, i used to much adhesion crap and it got hard FAST, i got the general shape down but man that stuff is HARD to be precise with. Sanded it down to a better shape and went at it again with the Bondo Hair, this time i used less of the adhesion crap and it worked a lot better, sanded it down and it looked pretty badass. Now i just did a layer of Bondo Glass to get a better shape, fill in some of the bigger holes, and get the shape even better.

Its about 1000000 times easier to use the Glass than the Hair.

Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/26/06 03:55 AM
Hair is for strength thats the whole point. I use hair to get everything solidified, glass to fill that up a bit, then hair again, but stretched out and around the glass. then comes the body filler, which yes is easier to work with :P
Posted By: Tourige Re: Starting on Change Pod Guage. - 07/26/06 04:13 AM
Hair is for strength thats the whole point. I use hair to get everything solidified, glass to fill that up a bit, then hair again, but stretched out and around the glass. then comes the body filler, which yes is easier to work with :P

I sanded down some of the glass, and did a test mount of the guage, didnt like how far it sat out, so i dremeled a bit around it to make a lip so the base dosent stick out so far. Now i just need to figure out how to mould the rest so that the gaps are filled perfectly, im guessing another layer of glass, then ill sand everything down so its perfect, go onto the filler, do some small batches of that, then ill be ready for primer.
© CEG Archives