Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Does this increase the chances that it might chip or could be a barely different color? I know the previous owner said the driver side door has been repainted.

If anyone could shed some info on this that'd be great.
If I were you, I wouldn't risk it. If you know in fact, that the front door has been repainted, I doubt any body shop would remove the door moldings just to repaint the door. They would probably just tape them off and paint accordingly. If the paint job wasn't too long ago, find out what shop did it and tell them what you want to do and ask them if they removed painted then reattatched the ding gaurds...
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
If I were you, I wouldn't risk it. If you know in fact, that the front door has been repainted, I doubt any body shop would remove the door moldings just to repaint the door. They would probably just tape them off and paint accordingly. If the paint job wasn't too long ago, find out what shop did it and tell them what you want to do and ask them if they removed painted then reattatched the ding gaurds...

It was at least a year ago and I bought the car an hour away, I probably shouldn't risk it
Peel a bit away, if it looks bad stick it back on there....
Originally posted by BK4293:

dont even bother, the risks outweigh the benefits.
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by BK4293:

dont even bother, the risks outweigh the benefits.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm keepin the ding guards

[edit] I emailed the previous owner and he says it was the quarter panel that was repainted, not the door, so I might be in business.
i only took mine off because i knew I was getting my entire car repainted. a door panel was painted and oh does it look like shiaaaat when you take the ding gaurd off! dont risk it!!!!
Originally posted by blu_fuz:
i only took mine off because i knew I was getting my entire car repainted. a door panel was painted and oh does it look like shiaaaat when you take the ding gaurd off! dont risk it!!!!

If I get off work early tomorrow I'm doing it. I get my Porter Cable tomorrow and will be polishing up my car sometime this weekend.

PS, i found out it was the front quarter panel that was repainted, not the door.
Update: sooo, I had nothing to do tonight so I decided to do it. Turns out the whole side of the car has been repainted, both doors. I have a nice racing stripe on the side, while the other side is FLAWLESS, mirror-like.

Is it possible to sand down and repaint only part of it, or will I have to get both doors entirely repainted? It's not THAT visible but it sucks.

Pics tomorrow.
What a cock so the previous owner lied? or what...
when i changed my speaker i discover that both driver side door where black inside (i got a t-red) and the corner of the mirror begin to peel of.. but nothing mention on the carfax
Originally posted by Berkel:
Update: sooo, I had nothing to do tonight so I decided to do it. Turns out the whole side of the car has been repainted, both doors. I have a nice racing stripe on the side, while the other side is FLAWLESS, mirror-like.

Is it possible to sand down and repaint only part of it, or will I have to get both doors entirely repainted? It's not THAT visible but it sucks.

Pics tomorrow.

put the ding guards back on..

Pics tomorrow.

Pretty bent up. It would look worse with those things on

It's not that bad, I'm just real picky about my car. From 10 feet away you can't notice it but when you get close you can see the line of where the new paint stopped and the clear is starting to chip.

And the new paint looks like [censored]. Now I know why the whole one side of my car is orange peeled

Oh well, I'll figure somethin out

Pics tomorrow.

Pretty bent up. It would look worse with those things on

It's not that bad, I'm just real picky about my car. From 10 feet away you can't notice it but when you get close you can see the line of where the new paint stopped and the clear is starting to chip.

And the new paint looks like [censored]. Now I know why the whole one side of my car is orange peeled

Oh well, I'll figure somethin out

sand it all down, prep it so that the costs will be cheap when you want it repainted.

sand it all down, prep it so that the costs will be cheap when you want it repainted.

Sounds good. I'll look into it since I'm repainting my hood and bumper when I get a Mirko.

But here's the pics:
Right side, turned out spectacular

Then here's the left side. It's not bad at all but I hate it when [censored] like this happens. And see you can barely notice it from far.

I probably could leave it but I'm too picky
Originally posted by SVT3Rivieres:
when i changed my speaker i discover that both driver side door where black inside (i got a t-red) and the corner of the mirror begin to peel of.. but nothing mention on the carfax

That sucks

That's weird he only told me he repainted the front quarter panel. Now that I find out he repainted the whole side.. I wonder what else was repainted Carfax was completely clean.
© CEG Archives