Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 99 Silver SE New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:28 AM
My headlights are very very foggy looking, and I have been searching, but I don't feel that 100 dollars for one is a very reasonable price.. what do you think?

Any ideas on where I can buy non stock ones for a better or more reasonable price?
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:33 AM
Originally posted by 99 Silver SE:
My headlights are very very foggy looking, and I have been searching, but I don't feel that 100 dollars for one is a very reasonable price.. what do you think?

Any ideas on where I can buy non stock ones for a better or more reasonable price?

$100 for one headlight? Where did you find this, because even getting a good deal, they are more than that. If you think $100 is a lot, check with your local Ford dealer and see how much they want for one headlight...
Posted By: 99 Silver SE Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:34 AM
Serious? I thought that was quite a bit, but I guess I'll have to settle with that :P

But, maybe someone has some old ones that are in decent shape around somewhere?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:47 AM
Or you could try polishing them first for $10.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=aesthetics&Number=1223101&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

and this
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=aesthetics&Number=571871&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1
Posted By: 99 Silver SE Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:48 AM
Alright, Ill look into that, Thanks

Also, I found some headlights for 100.

http://www.partstrain.com/products/AutoBody/Lights_(Front)/1999~FORD~Contour~4~2.0.html?sku=20-5166-00&source=gproducts
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 05:08 AM
your best bet is to either sand them and re clear coat them. my headlighst had busted mounts so i baught a new set through bill jenkins they were $236. shipped for the set. well worth it my car looks like its brand new.
Posted By: rubn3_dup1 Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 09:42 AM
100 bucks is pretty cheap. I paid a little over $150 for each of my mystique lights last summer. It was from someone off of ebay. Btw, does anyone know how to keep them from fogging up when their new? I've just been polishing them every so often with Meguiars SCRATCH X.
Posted By: m4gician Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 02:53 PM
just wet sand, wax, plastiX, and clear coat if you want. It'll keep that WET clear look.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:21 PM
Originally posted by m4gician:
just wet sand, wax, plastiX, and clear coat if you want. It'll keep that WET clear look.

Don't clearcoat after a fresh application of PlastiX. Bad mistake on my part.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:28 PM
Originally posted by rubn3:
Btw, does anyone know how to keep them from fogging up when their new? I've just been polishing them every so often with Meguiars SCRATCH X.

Why would you polish brand new headlights?!

Protect them with a sealant!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:42 PM
New Headlights for just under $100
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 04:56 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
New Headlights for just under $100

Holy crap! I had no idea his discounts were that much lower than Bills!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 07:46 PM
Doesn't Rockauto offer OEM headlights for less than that with the promo code? Or do they ONLY offer the aftermarket lights?

Mark

EDIT: Okay I just looked. They are $91.00, but there is no guarantee on which manufacturer you'll get. Could be the TYC lights which I've heard fit well, or the Depot lights which don't fit so well. I'd pay the extra $20 and get 2 new OEM lights from Ford.
Posted By: rubn3_dup1 Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 07:54 PM
So, polishing bad, sealant (wax) good?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Doesn't Rockauto offer OEM headlights for less than that with the promo code? Or do they ONLY offer the aftermarket lights?

Mark

EDIT: Okay I just looked. They are $91.00, but there is no guarantee on which manufacturer you'll get. Could be the TYC lights which I've heard fit well, or the Depot lights which don't fit so well. I'd pay the extra $20 and get 2 new OEM lights from Ford.

Last time I heard about somebody getting Depot lights they didn't fit, but were sent a replacement set. I've gotten lights from depot for 2 of my Contiques, both times they were fine.
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: New Headlights - 07/13/06 10:21 PM
you can get one headlight on ebay for around 80$-- i'm also in the market for new ones
Posted By: Berkel Re: New Headlights - 07/14/06 03:23 AM
Anyone have any suggestions about what sealant to use? I wetsanded mine down a few weeks ago and they looked pristine after some PlastX but I can already see them starting to yellow.
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: New Headlights - 07/14/06 01:17 PM
i would also liek to know of a good sealant protector. i would liek to keep my new headlights looking new.
Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: New Headlights - 07/14/06 11:25 PM

Mark

I work at RockAuto... if you order the more expensive ones you will get the TYC GENERAS -- if you order the cheaper or "economy brand" you will get the DEPO's

I've bought 2 sets of TYC GENERAS from work and they are awesome.. 100% crystal clear and look 100% OEM or better.

Also there is a 5% discount code that I have provided to you all in the Duratech sections that GTO Pete updates all the time.

here is the listing.

VARIOUS MFR Part # FO2503145
RH composite {#XS2Z13008AA} $91.99

VARIOUS MFR Part # FO2502145
LH composite {#XS2Z13008BA} $92.79

ECONOMY LINE Part # FO2502145
LH composite {#XS2Z13008BA}
**Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 7 business days** $83.79

VARIOUS MANUFACTURER = TYC
ECONOMY LINE = DEPO
Posted By: fordman302 Re: New Headlights - 07/16/06 05:01 AM
I got my new headlights for my 98 svt for about 145 for both shipped to me brand new oem..
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: New Headlights - 07/16/06 05:05 AM
Originally posted by fordman302:
I got my new headlights for my 98 svt for about 145 for both shipped to me brand new oem..

Care to tell where?

NVMYSVT - Thanks for that update! I was hoping you'd chime in. I guess I didn't see a place on the Rockauto website, that allows you to choose which quality you want. Thanks for that bit of info!

Mark
Posted By: fordman302 Re: New Headlights - 07/16/06 03:51 PM
Not at all i got them off Ebay..Just search for 98 ford contour headlights i paided 70 somthing per headlight plus 7 bucks per headlight to ship them..Awesome deal
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: New Headlights - 07/16/06 06:13 PM
Not at all i got them off Ebay..Just search for 98 ford contour headlights i paided 70 somthing per headlight plus 7 bucks per headlight to ship them..Awesome deal

Then they aren't OEM I'll bet. They are probably Depot headlights, and they suck a nut.

Mark
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: New Headlights - 07/16/06 06:33 PM

Then they aren't OEM I'll bet. They are probably Depot headlights, and they suck a nut.

Mark

If they are depo lights, they won't fit (I know, I have them) perfectly... and mark, I think its more like a couple of nuts, not just one. Pisses me off every time I walk by the front of my car.
Posted By: fordman302 Re: New Headlights - 07/16/06 07:05 PM
Nope these fit my car perfect came with original brackets..Just like factory..And new bulbs..I have had them on for about 600 miles now and look great no fading or fogging..

Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: New Headlights - 07/16/06 07:11 PM
Nope these fit my car perfect came with original brackets..Just like factory..And new bulbs..I have had them on for about 600 miles now and look great no fading or fogging..

Close up pictures? Depot headlights stick out on the side where it meets with the fender.
Posted By: fordman302 Re: New Headlights - 07/16/06 10:15 PM
Yeah i hae some pictures but i couldnt figure out how to post them..No they dont stick out at all..If someone could help me out with posting some pictures i would post some..
Posted By: gooserex Re: New Headlights - 07/18/06 04:52 AM
I wouldn't bother with a sealant to protect your new headlights, simply grab 2 sheets of 6"x24" Lamin-x, comes in 20 or 40 mil clear, yellow, blue, smoke and black (Colors are 17mil.)!

Check out the demo of the scratched 5 series...
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: New Headlights - 07/18/06 01:43 PM
im just going to keep them clean and when they start to haze ill take them to a body shop and have them refinish them with a good clear coat.
Posted By: SniperUML Re: New Headlights - 07/20/06 09:12 PM
This might sounds stupid, but before I go and buy brand new headlights and all might as well see if i'm right. When I go to buy new headlights, does the assembly come with the mounting bracket that bolts onto the headerpanel? All of the clips on my headlights broke so its kind of retrofitted on there... if someone could please let me know it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
~Dan
Posted By: fordman302 Re: New Headlights - 07/20/06 10:01 PM
Originally posted by SniperUML:
This might sounds stupid, but before I go and buy brand new headlights and all might as well see if i'm right. When I go to buy new headlights, does the assembly come with the mounting bracket that bolts onto the headerpanel? All of the clips on my headlights broke so its kind of retrofitted on there... if someone could please let me know it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
~Dan

Yeah they come with the brakets..But no hardware..You can call your local ford and order some..Shouldnt be no more than a few dollors
© CEG Archives