Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: my98SVTturbo krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 02:30 AM
i was considering on saving my self some money. instead of sending all 3 grilles(front oval,lower bumper,rear bumper grilles) to the body shop to painted i figured why not spend 5 bucks on sum krylon fusion and paint them silver my self. any one do this?how did it turn out? is this a good idea? any pictures?
im open to any postive or negative comments about this so lets here it
Posted By: RawBurt Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 02:33 AM
From my experience, it'll start chipping.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 02:52 AM
Originally posted by RawBroken:

Regardless of who paints it, it will start chipping at some point.

Prep properly, use primer, use enough coats, use clear, use enough coats and it can be equally as good as bodyshop. It's about how much time and effort you want to put into it.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 02:55 AM
I've been thinking about powder coating mine.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 03:12 AM
I did it to my gutter gaurd without any prep work and it started chipping (obvious.) It was just a temporary solution to clean up the front of the car while I run around without a chrome oval.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 08:10 PM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:

Regardless of who paints it, it will start chipping at some point.

Prep properly, use primer, use enough coats, use clear, use enough coats and it can be equally as good as bodyshop. It's about how much time and effort you want to put into it.

with the right time effort and prepping , even rattle can paintjobs can look as good as the bodyshop
Posted By: Matty K Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 08:53 PM
I've been thinking about powder coating mine.

Plastic....?
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 10:03 PM
any pictures of silver painted grills? they dont have to be krylon fusion but anyu silver in general.
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 10:19 PM
i did mine with krylon fusion silver-- came out pretty well-
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/13/06 11:31 PM
I did mine with the krylon fusion as well. I did no prep but a good wash, and no clearcoat over it. It looks great and doesn't chip or wear badly at all. Plus it is so easy to do that it's nothing to repaint them if they start showing signs of wear. Seriously it takes all of a half hour to do all three.
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: krylon fusion grilles - 07/14/06 01:40 AM
i also did not do any prep or anything-- just washed and did not add a clearcoat-- still haven't had to repaint at all
© CEG Archives