Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CSVT1214 Another broken fog - 06/27/06 12:43 PM
So I've been running PIAA for only about 2 months, and passenger side shattered yesterday. No idea how but when I got home it was all cracked. That is much longer than the Hellas lasted for me. I only got about 1 week on drivers side, and 2 weeks on the passenger side.

I'm going back to stock fogs after I order some new ones from Bill. I'll hopefully get warranty on the PIAA and then they won't be installed till maybe next summer when I have a beater, the car gets repainted and becomes a garage queen.

Anyone ever get warranty on PIAA? Easy to deal with or just not worth it?

I won't be able to send it out till I get a new one from Bill because I am not driving around with no fog in there.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 12:46 PM
I'm still running my proburners for well over a year now. One does have a slight crack on the lense. But its been there for awhile.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 12:53 PM
I think alot of it depends on location. Looks like plenty of people can run aftermarket for a long time with no problems and others a few months.

My car is a daily driver and I get to drive through downtown Hartford everyday. Not exactly good for my paint and lights.

My front bumper was repainted 1.5 years ago, and before SZ it was trashed so I got it done like 4 days before SZ.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 12:58 PM
Originally posted by SVT4STD:
I think alot of it depends on location.

Certainly is. If a rock is going to hit a foglight the PIAA will withstand a harder hit. At least they lasted longer than your previous ones.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 02:07 PM
Ive had my Hellas for like 9 months, no cracks or breaks. And i live in Canada, the land of the idiot city workers who dumb 10000000 pounds of gravel a year on the roads..
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Ive had my Hellas for like 9 months, no cracks or breaks. And i live in Canada, the land of the idiot city workers who dumb 10000000 pounds of gravel a year on the roads..

ALLRIGHT!!!! We're not the only town that has that problem!!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 02:35 PM
im goin back to stock svt fogs, cant take this anymore
Posted By: Tourige Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

booo, they looks so crappy.

How many foglights have you gone through?
Posted By: ElKy Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 04:47 PM
c'mon Goonz is the resident i cant make up my mind which lights i like better dude.
he's gone thru more lights than steedas mom has gone thru CEg'ers
haha
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 05:26 PM

He replaced his Hellas like 2 times already, and the new PIAA projectors rattle around too much and one burnt out.

I agree the stock fogs are not the nicest looking, but at least they won't break. I think 893 SilverStars in stock new fogs, and 4300k HID will do the job just fine for me.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 05:29 PM

lets see..I believe 5 sets..

1 used set of SVT fogs (hmouta) then sold to TexasRealtor
3 sets of Hella's (all 3 cracked) paid for the first one, the other 2 were re-sent due to warranty and all that from Hella..PITA
1 current set of PIAA 959 Projector fogs, they jitter like hell and are useless cause my main projectors are soo bright

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 05:42 PM
I have a new idea for you Goonz.

1. Install foglights of choice
2. Have this custom cut to fit over each foglight

Now you're good to go.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 05:52 PM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
I have a new idea for you Goonz.

1. Install foglights of choice
2. Have this custom cut to fit over each foglight

Now you're good to go.

.44 Mag should do the trick.

Seriously though, if something like this were made, I'd be a happy camper.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 05:59 PM
looks awesome but im goin back to stock, im sick of jittery fogs..
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 08:29 PM
Mine are sorta jittery too, but it's because we modified the housing so they'd fit. As far as stock goes , they're useless and embarressingly dim. I'll put up with the PIAA's cause they do the job and look great doing it. So far, I'm still using the Silverstar 9005's in the low beams. I'd like HID's but no money equals no HID's....at least for awhile.
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 09:34 PM
What bulbs do you have in your piaa's?
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Another broken fog - 06/27/06 09:59 PM
like rawburt, I also had proburners... They looked hawt in there, were mega bright, and I ran them for about 3 months and never cracked or burned one out. They were only like $20 at wal mart.

Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 01:24 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
like rawburt, I also had proburners... They looked hawt in there, were mega bright, and I ran them for about 3 months and never cracked or burned one out. They were only like $20 at wal mart.

You had a non-SVT bumper, and not lowered.

SVT bumper and lowered 1.6 inches for me and a min. of 40 miles through the highway and city each day.

Just food for thought.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 03:04 PM
Me = 1.6" lower + 50 mile round trip for work each day... No broken fogs...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 03:11 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt...:

You = old lady driving.

That is the only possible explanation.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 03:36 PM

You = old lady driving.

That is the only possible explanation.

Me = stupid driver

Didnt you see me at SZ06 making like 10 passes at the strip?

Or dont you remember me getting a 23 over ticket on the way back from the strip.

Proburners FTW!!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 04:41 PM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
Mine are sorta jittery too, but it's because we modified the housing so they'd fit. As far as stock goes , they're useless and embarressingly dim. I'll put up with the PIAA's cause they do the job and look great doing it. So far, I'm still using the Silverstar 9005's in the low beams. I'd like HID's but no money equals no HID's....at least for awhile.

Tom I have no use for fogs which is why im going back to stockers. I wanna be able to use fogs say like during the day so that I can drive around with my fogs/DRLs..and at night, my projectors put out such a strong beam that even an H3 fog bulb would not be noticable..look below to how soon the light hits the pavement ahead of my bumper, Im dammn sure the stock fogs will fill in the gap before that

Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 04:49 PM
use the stock brackets and install proburners on top of the bracket. They look better than stock, and I get no jitter at all. If you break them you can buy another pair for $20. I can hit a bump or pothole and not get any jitter. Maybe you guys aren't tightening the fogs in place enough.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 04:52 PM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
use the stock brackets and install proburners on top of the bracket. They look better than stock, and I get no jitter at all. If you break them you can buy another pair for $20. I can hit a bump or pothole and not get any jitter. Maybe you guys aren't tightening the fogs in place enough.

do they have a fog light pattern or a driving light pattern?
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 05:12 PM
PIAA 510 FTW

Mine don't jiggle AT ALL. You can tighten the side screws of th PIAA to the fog light housing super tight so this eliminates the jiggle.

Look great,look stock and are very bright. 55w bulb rated at 85W

Glass lens is ALOT thicker and more heavy duty than other glass lenses

Warranty was very good. After about a year one lens had a hair line crack in it. A week later the bulb went out. Most likely due to moisture seeping in. All I did was send PIAA my original receipt (didn't even buy them through PIAA. I bought them from some retailer for about $75-$100 less than what PIAA wants for them). And they sent me a brand new lens and a new bulb. Got it w/in a week. Very good Cust. Serv.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 05:48 PM
It's a fog light pattern, but when you have HID's it makes no difference. Fog lights are just there to look pretty, because they dont add any significant light output to the HID's

These look good and only cost $20. Put your yellow H3 bulbs in these and it will be perfect.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Another broken fog - 06/28/06 05:48 PM
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
PIAA 510 FTW

Mine don't jiggle AT ALL. You can tighten the side screws of th PIAA to the fog light housing super tight so this eliminates the jiggle.

Look great,look stock and are very bright. 55w bulb rated at 85W

Glass lens is ALOT thicker and more heavy duty than other glass lenses

Warranty was very good. After about a year one lens had a hair line crack in it. A week later the bulb went out. Most likely due to moisture seeping in. All I did was send PIAA my original receipt (didn't even buy them through PIAA. I bought them from some retailer for about $75-$100 less than what PIAA wants for them). And they sent me a brand new lens and a new bulb. Got it w/in a week. Very good Cust. Serv.

Nice! Exactly what I wanted to know. Now I have to find a "receipt" for them.

Anyone have one they want to share with me?
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Another broken fog - 06/30/06 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Bridge:
What bulbs do you have in your piaa's?

PIAA 510's. I think, I'm not sure, but maybe H3's.
Posted By: TGO Re: Another broken fog - 06/30/06 12:39 AM
both my piaa's are cracked in the middle...i always figured it was to do with using them in extreme cold...the quick heating and cooling. Which, i don't do anymore...and viola! no more cracks!

i can't believe you shattered one though...i've run over a radial tire, which took out my mesh, foglight bracket, and lots of paint on my bumper- but no damage to the fog itself.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Another broken fog - 06/30/06 12:57 AM
Originally posted by TGO:
both my piaa's are cracked in the middle...i always figured it was to do with using them in extreme cold...the quick heating and cooling. Which, i don't do anymore...and viola! no more cracks!

so are you saying you don't use them in the winter AT ALL anymore?
Posted By: TGO Re: Another broken fog - 06/30/06 01:20 AM
I really don't drive the car much in the winter anymore, but I's say if it's significantly below freezing, no i do not use them. It could just be coincidence, but that's what i do. I really don't need them anyway, they're more for show than anything.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Another broken fog - 06/30/06 12:19 PM
Damn!!! One of my fogs is cracked to hell... I guess I should of knocked on wood.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Another broken fog - 06/30/06 12:37 PM
Damn!!! One of my fogs is cracked to hell... I guess I should of knocked on wood.

OWNAGE!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Another broken fog - 06/30/06 05:55 PM

OWNAGE!!

© CEG Archives