Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: jtmccann81 Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 01:21 AM
I've been haveing great luck in making my own custom molded sub enclosures for friends and for my car.

I was wondering if anyone has done a custom molded center console? and yes I did seach the forums first.

I wanted to make a real unique center console that would look good and function well. I will be taking photos of the process step by step to post if it works out. I will be using a 99 SE center console for the basic form then moddifying the new molded form to something I like that looks good and funtions well.

Next question is what did all of you hate about your center consoles? Bad storage, not tall enough cup holders, etc.? Any special requests?

I have 2 gallions worth of resin ingrediants and about 15ft of Light weight fiberglass cloth left over after my last sub project. That I will be useing for the new console fabrication.
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 01:32 AM
Well I guess you could call this custom but its a pre 98...

I just picked this up from Swazo...

Posted By: dpa43_dup1 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 01:53 AM
Here's one that SpeedDemon from here had done.

Posted By: KerryKool Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 02:03 AM
SpeedDemon did an awesome job molding everything in. Did he do it himself? If he did, that is some major kudos.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 02:26 AM
Im going to need to pick up one of those consols for some upcoming goodies...
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 04:58 AM
Originally posted by dpa43:
Here's one that SpeedDemon from here had done.

hadnt seen this before. awesome job
Posted By: Augi Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 07:32 AM
I may have to get another console to modify. Where do you get the material for all of this? My complaint is the cupholders for th pre '98 console ( I have actually considered buying a post '97 console because of the cup situation.)
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 11:36 AM
Complaints cup holders, arm rest not high enough.
Good luck man, I am getting in to fiberglass my self its great stuff.
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 01:38 PM
I custom order my fiberglass stuff offline from a lot of places. the best trick I found for good smoth surfaces is to cover the fiberglass enclosure with speaker grill fabric and coat it in resin. I get a nice smooth sand able/paintable surface every time.

I too have noticed the cupholders, the arm rest, the very low 12v acsessory plug and the lack of places to put other goodies.

so here it is the current complaint list
our cup holders.
the arm rest must be higher.
move the 12v plug higher and add a second one for the passanger.
and more storage for cds and other in car items.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Augi:
Where do you get the material for all of this?

I get my fiberglass from fan8 on ebay here is the link to his store fiberglass , they sell the scrap pieces that are pretty big squares for a lot less then rolls or sheets of fiberglass.

Resin I get from auto parts stores because I think you have to pay extra on shipping since its considered hazardous.
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 02:00 PM
I know this is off topic for the thread I posted but. How many of you guys would like to see a set of map lights where they belong up front not behind your head?

This is another project I've been toying with is building of a new map light and location for a small items tray right behind the visors.
If they look good I would be willing to make them for us but I would charge enough to cover the expense of the build up and shipping. I would make it a very simple install for tapping the power in the headliner.

So what do you say guys and ladies?
Posted By: 94ex Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 02:08 PM
Look up chris carr or i think his name on here is carraudio, he does some amazing stuff with molding and whatnot. He's usually in the Southwest forum, but I haven't seen too much of him lately, he's got a website and everything showing his work. Hope this helps.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 02:12 PM
IMO, you're not going to be able to create a center console that has what each person wants:
- cupholders, yes/no
- gauge pods, yes/no
- higher armrest, yes/no
- accessory tray, yes/no
- etc. the list goes on and on.

You're really better off taking orders and custom building them for each person.

Originally posted by Augi:
post '97 console

FYI: "Pre-98" and "98+" are the terms used.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 02:28 PM
Originally posted by jtmccann81:
How many of you guys would like to see a set of map lights where they belong up front not behind your head?

I bet you don't have a sunroof since you have a post 98 ...

as the pre 98s have the dome light and map lights up front at the leading edge of the headliner, the post 98 cars have the dome and map lights in the center of the roof but if you have a sunroof they are up front like the pre-98s. All mystiques have the rear dome light and therefor I believe have the front dome/lap light up front.
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 02:31 PM
I'll take that advise, but my point of asking what people hate about our center console was to help me in making a new one for my car. I planned on showing with pics and a howto how it can be done.
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/20/06 02:36 PM
I unfortunatly dont have a sun roof in this car. That is why I was asking this off thread question.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/21/06 07:19 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:

as the pre 98s have the dome light and map lights up front at the leading edge of the headliner, the post 98 cars have the dome and map lights in the center of the roof but if you have a sunroof they are up front like the pre-98s.

My '98 has no sunroof, and my dome/map lights are up front between the visors. Maybe it was a 99+ change.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Custom molded center consol - 06/21/06 07:34 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Originally posted by BrApple:

as the pre 98s have the dome light and map lights up front at the leading edge of the headliner, the post 98 cars have the dome and map lights in the center of the roof but if you have a sunroof they are up front like the pre-98s.

My '98 has no sunroof, and my dome/map lights are up front between the visors. Maybe it was a 99+ change.

good to know, I only have our 95 and 99s to judge by
© CEG Archives