Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Augi I was recently told about - 06/17/06 05:53 AM
putting vinegar on my car after I wash it, then wax it after that and that the paint would look brand new, so I tried it on my and my moms cars and OMG!!! I can see an exact reflection of everything in my paint.

Anyone else know of some weird remedies of detailing or anything else car related.

I also use peanut butter to remove tar.
Posted By: Reebs Re: I was recently told about - 06/17/06 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Augi:
so I tried it on my and my moms car

Good thinking. Try it out on someone else car!!!
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: I was recently told about - 06/17/06 01:28 PM
putting vinegar on my car after I wash it, then wax it after that and that the paint would look brand new, so I tried it on my and my moms cars and OMG!!! I can see an exact reflection of everything in my paint.

Anyone else know of some weird remedies of detailing or anything else car related.

I also use peanut butter to remove tar.

Weird. Do you let it dry on or towel it off? Do you just pour it on? Wet a rag?

What is it supposed to do?
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: I was recently told about - 06/17/06 02:32 PM
That's interesting. We need more details please.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: I was recently told about - 06/17/06 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
We need more details please.

x2
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: I was recently told about - 06/18/06 01:22 AM
Vinegar is very acidic. It absolutely cannont be good for the paint. At minimum, it will strip off the wax, and not in a good way. Bird crap is acidic too, and look what happens when it sits on the paint for awhile...
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: I was recently told about - 06/18/06 01:35 AM
It acid is probably taking off all of the deposits (along with a few other things). Probably like a more agressive clay bar, except this can dry in tight spaces and slowly damage the paint.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: I was recently told about - 06/18/06 01:58 AM
As mentioned, vinegar = acid, acid = corrosion. It light coating and wipe might eat off the top layer of old wax and or partially the clear coat. I won't not go overboard as mentioned acid + paint =

But hey if it works, go for it. I would try it in a small spot and give it a while and see what happens in the 2 weeks. If it seems like nothing seriously horrible. Go for it.
Posted By: Berkel Re: I was recently told about - 06/18/06 02:47 AM
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
It acid is probably taking off all of the deposits (along with a few other things). Probably like a more agressive clay bar, except this can dry in tight spaces and slowly damage the paint.

I wouldn't try doing this a lot. Use a polish to strip off the old wax and marks.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: I was recently told about - 06/18/06 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Berkel:
Originally posted by ExDelayed:

I wouldn't try doing this a lot. Use a polish to strip off the old wax and marks.

I agree, claybar is a much more proven product.
Posted By: Augi Re: I was recently told about - 06/19/06 06:44 AM
Yes, claybar is WAY more proven. Vinegar is used to take out calcium and other minerals in the paint. I lightly rub it on and then right back off. I know it's acidic. That's why you don't do it every time you wax, more like every year or so. I used it on my car and I'll try to show some pics...(can't right now because they are at home.)
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: I was recently told about - 06/19/06 12:37 PM
That's why you don't do it every time you wax, more like every year or so.

Once a year? No way. This is another case of using a product when it's not necessary. Vinegar is one of those "last resort" types of products. Clay bar followed by a paint cleaner/cleanser will give you the same end results - clean paint. Once the paint is clay barred, cleaned, polished and sealed you should never have to use vinegar, let alone once a year.
Posted By: Tourige Re: I was recently told about - 06/19/06 02:16 PM
if it was something you should do, then everyone would be doing it. No one is, so its probably not the best idea.
© CEG Archives