Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: m4gician How to remove clearcoat from headlights? - 06/15/06 03:23 AM
Okay well here's the thing, I had the hazy headlights that apparently now after searching I can bake open. I used PlasticX to shine and clean them the best I could then when they were at their peak clearness I put a coat of clear on there, but now the clear coat is starting to haze or fade a bit and I think im obscuring the nice coloured light. I guess what I'm trying to say here is what is the cheapest way to clear away that clearcoat so I can have a fresh start at making those headlights look brand new again? TIA
what kind of clear coat did you use?
some cheap spray paint stuff by motormaster, It was the cheap clearcoat for about $8. Do I use a paint thinner or do I wetsand?
I would try wetsanding. 1000, then 1500, then 2000 grit. Then finish off with a polish like plast-x
Originally posted by cannondalemtb:
I would try wetsanding. 1000, then 1500, then 2000 grit. Then finish off with a polish like plast-x

I started with 800, ended with 2000, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: How to remove clearcoat from headlights? - 06/16/06 01:17 AM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Originally posted by cannondalemtb:

I started with 800, ended with 2000, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound.

+1

There are still some rock chips but...

hey thanks, wet sanding really worked, though the INSIDES are dirty at some spots, i can deal with that when i bake them open and put projectors thanks for the help CEG.
Bake????
If your gonna paint the entire inside maybe. The chrome inside really doesnt like the oven too much.Some people have done it successfully, but other wish they would have gone the dremel route.
I used a heat gun to separate the lense on mine and it worked like a charm. I started on a junk yard piece so that I didn't screw up a good headlight.
I baked mine, it came out fine, nothing got damaged. The hardest part is getting the glue crap out of the stock channel.
© CEG Archives