Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: my98SVTturbo opinions - 06/14/06 05:27 PM
ok ive been calling all kinds of body shops around where i live localy and theyve been giving me overpriced prices

i need to paint:
Front bumper
Hood
Rear bumper
both side skirts
just oem paint..base coat and clear coat...."Silver frost"

how much do you guys think it should cost to repaint those items silver. these body shops have been telling me from $1000-$1500 which i think is really over priced.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: opinions - 06/14/06 05:28 PM
Just get the whole car repainted, in whatever color you want.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: opinions - 06/14/06 05:29 PM
no that I have looked into it but I don't see why that isn't a fair price, that is near 50% of the car and there would be alot of prep work to do
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: opinions - 06/14/06 05:38 PM
That's a damn good price IMO.
I paid $1,000 to have a fiberglass hood sanded, filled and repainted OEM paint (previous owner did a crappy job).
Posted By: ElKy Re: opinions - 06/14/06 05:42 PM
yeah thats a great price for all of that.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: opinions - 06/14/06 05:43 PM
prep everything yourself.. that would reduce the cost substancially..
Posted By: RawBurt Re: opinions - 06/14/06 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Just get the whole car repainted, in whatever color you want.

x2
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: opinions - 06/14/06 06:05 PM
Originally posted by my98SVTturbo:

i need to paint:
Front bumper($200)
Hood
Rear bumper ($200)
both side skirts ($240)
just oem paint..base coat and clear coat...."Silver frost"

I filled in the prices that I have paid. $640 then add another 2-300 for the hood. $1000 seems very fair to me.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: opinions - 06/14/06 09:05 PM
It would have to be blended into the rest of the body to look right...no matter who mixes it, the silver will not match.

That's a very fair price.
Posted By: m4gician Re: opinions - 06/15/06 12:42 AM
Wait are you getting 3 coats? Like a primer, base and a clearcoat? If so, and you prep it yourself, I believe you can get it for around $800 maybe, and even less if you pay cash? These guys love cash.
Posted By: elraido Re: opinions - 06/15/06 05:23 AM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
That's a damn good price IMO.
I paid $1,000 to have a fiberglass hood sanded, filled and repainted OEM paint (previous owner did a crappy job).

sounds like my hood. Wait, i did that myself. Time to sand and paint again.

Send it to me, I will paint it for you....for only $500.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: opinions - 06/15/06 11:04 PM
Originally posted by m4gician:
Wait are you getting 3 coats? Like a primer, base and a clearcoat? If so, and you prep it yourself, I believe you can get it for around $800 maybe, and even less if you pay cash? These guys love cash.

Any respectable, established, and PROFESSIONAL QUALITY location will accept major forms of payment just as readily. Cash doesn't "talk louder" to an established business.

Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: opinions - 06/15/06 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
Originally posted by m4gician:

Any respectable, established, and PROFESSIONAL QUALITY location will accept major forms of payment just as readily. Cash doesn't "talk louder" to an established business.

If it's a small business it will. Credit Card processing costs the business money. Yeah, it's not a lot, but I know I'm happier when I'm paid in cash or check than a CC, because I know I get to keep it all (minus what the state gets for sales tax, but then again that's not mine to begin with).
Posted By: MazTour Re: opinions - 06/17/06 02:37 AM
A typical proper respray will run around $3000(CDN)at a reputable bodyshop,and what you're asking for is basicallt half the car to be painted,so that estimate,which is half of $3000,is justifiable IMO.
Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: opinions - 06/17/06 12:49 PM
1k - 1500.00 for what you quoted is fair as well.. I've gotten alot of things painted over the past 6 years with the Cougar and lastly a full two tone repaint..

if you find a place cheaper than that for all those parts your going to be sorry with the results later.. if you skimp and go with a shotty job you'll end up paying 2-3 times that much later getting it fixed.

don't use price as a gauge of where you will go, you need to go off of word of mouth and by examining samples of their work.
© CEG Archives