Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: my98SVTturbo door gaurd help!!! - 06/13/06 04:14 PM
well i just finished removing the door gaurds or what ever you call them and was a pain but the car looks really good and it was worth it. But, i washed the car like two times now and there is a drit outline of where they used to be and i cant seem to get it off. has any one else ever had this problem? what should i do to get rid of it?

Thank you
Alex
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/13/06 04:16 PM
Searching would of found it, but I guess you don't know how.

Claybar should take care of that. I'll let you find the rest.

Also, no need for !!!!! every thread you start!!!!!!
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/13/06 04:20 PM
im new to this whole froum thing so i didnt know so thank you

and my bad about the !!!!!! its a bad habit.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/13/06 04:45 PM
Yes claybar it right away... You can pick up a claybar kit for about 20 bucks at any local automotive store
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/13/06 04:49 PM
Originally posted by my98SVTturbo:
im new to this whole froum thing so i didnt know so thank you

The platform has been around awhile and most modifications/problems have been discussed numerous times.

Read the Stickies pinned at the top of most forums starting with the ones that say **Read first before posting***.

Search User Guide
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/13/06 06:20 PM
thank you guys
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/13/06 06:28 PM
thank you guys

I like this noob. He takes advice and uses it to learn from instead of arguing and running away like a little baby like other ones do. You know the "This forum sucks and I hate Ford Contours!" guys.
Posted By: Contour1998 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/13/06 10:00 PM
claybar $20 or more OR paint thinner $2. Claybar will take 20+ mins of your time to remove or 2 mins of the other.Your choice.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 02:59 AM
Originally posted by SVT4STD:
thank you guys

I like this noob. He takes advice and uses it to learn from instead of arguing and running away like a little baby like other ones do. You know the "This forum sucks and I hate Ford Contours!" guys.

tony u like men
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
thank you guys

tony u like men

Want a kiss? Or should I call your mother?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
thank you guys

tony u like men

Want a kiss? Or should I call your mother?

no, call ur gf to give me one
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 03:43 AM
That'd be aiding and abetting a brownie!

She can kiss my wife, Jenna, instead!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Ray:
That'd be aiding and abetting a brownie!

results in deportation without trial
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Contour1998:
claybar $20 or more OR paint thinner $2. Claybar will take 20+ mins of your time to remove or 2 mins of the other.Your choice.

paint thinner????
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 04:42 PM
Originally posted by csvtjohnga:

paint thinner????

I'm not sure about paint thinner, but that will probably work. A quick wipe on wipe off and then good wash, should be fine.

I used a Goof off type of product, and that worked fine. Just don't let products like that sit on the paint.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 04:48 PM
Originally posted by csvtjohnga:

paint thinner????

You never start with the extreme product.

Start with the least abrasive/potentially harmful products first and use progressively stronger products if needed.

Goo Gone
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Clay bar
Cleaner Wax
Polish
Acetone/mineral spirits
etc.
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 05:42 PM
ok i just finished using the Meguirs clay bar and it worked really good on 3 of the doors but there is still a dirt outline of where the strip is on the door. Any ideas?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 05:45 PM
ok i just finished using the Meguirs clay bar and it worked really good on 3 of the doors but there is still a dirt outline of where the strip is on the door. Any ideas?

yeah read the previous post made by GTOPete...
Posted By: Tourige Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 06:28 PM

are you sure its not a clearcoat ridge?
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 07:06 PM
it could be...whats left is like a darker silver...should i just use sum touch up paint then?
Posted By: J3SVT Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/14/06 07:08 PM
it could be...whats left is like a darker silver...should i just use sum touch up paint then?

no.

do this...
Originally posted by GTO Pete:

You never start with the extreme product.

Start with the least abrasive/potentially harmful products first and use progressively stronger products if needed.

Goo Gone
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Clay bar
Cleaner Wax
Polish
Acetone/mineral spirits
etc.

Posted By: Contour1998 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/15/06 01:45 AM
Ive used paint thinner or was it laquer thinner. It really works and wont harm your paint as long as you got a good amount of shiny clearcoat. I do this when everything else wont work. Yes, it needs a good wipe with water or with soap afterwards. Best thing to remove hard water spots on your sunroof I use high acid but very carefully and quickly. I learned and do these tips from pro detailers around here.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/15/06 01:56 AM
To recommend such a harmful product as the first thing to try to the general populous - especially ones that do not know what a clay bar is, how to use it, what it's for, the difference between a polish and a sealant, etc. is not smart.

Doesn't matter what success you have had or who you have learned it from - it doesn't make it right. A good detailer always uses the least abrasive product and works his way to more abrasive products. Period.
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/15/06 02:43 AM
GTO pete is right...always wanna use the least harful up to most powerful type of chemical....

what it looks like to me is that the previous owner had reapainted the door at one time becuz the whole ou line and insde where the strip was is a differnt color silver...and it only happensd to be on that one door.....so im thinkin on just getting the door re painted
Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 01:33 AM
is it the drivers side door? I peeled all mine off and only that door was evil... when I carefully pulled the strip about 8 inches of paint came with it..

apparently alot of others have had bad experiences with removing the moldings and having problems with just 1 door.. the rest of my car looks fine..
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 03:34 AM
Originally posted by NVMYSVT:
is it the drivers side door? I peeled all mine off and only that door was evil... when I carefully pulled the strip about 8 inches of paint came with it..

apparently alot of others have had bad experiences with removing the moldings and having problems with just 1 door.. the rest of my car looks fine..

same here except mine is the rear drivers side door
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 01:33 PM
+1 for the
"one door only" group.

Front passenger.

Which door/doors were your overspray on?
DF ONLY
DR ONLY
PF ONLY
PR ONLY
More than one but not all
all doors had it

There we go.. make it easy.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 02:12 PM
thank you guys

Most people don't respond well to harsh, condescending, sarcastic Advice.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 03:50 PM
GTO pete is right...always wanna use the least harful up to most powerful type of chemical....

what it looks like to me is that the previous owner had reapainted the door at one time becuz the whole ou line and insde where the strip was is a differnt color silver...and it only happensd to be on that one door.....so im thinkin on just getting the door re painted

You can always try wet sanding the area w/ warm soapy water & 1200 grit paper to knock the ridge down (use a sanding block)...then change to 2000 grit (wet) & then polish w/ a wheel & finish polish by hand.

Do that first if you are seriously considering paint. Silver paint will never match exactly & need to be blended into other panels to look right, since it's such a small area I'd try the sanding/polishing trick first.

thinner is a bad idea period.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 04:05 PM
Or you can just put the door moldings back on

I personally think the contour doors like too plain with no door moldings. And as an avid mini trucker i appreciate a smooth line more than most. Ive shaved nearly everything of my truck and was considering removing the body line. I just dont like the look. i think its one of those mods ppl do because its a mod and its free...but then again im sure some ppl like how it looks

anyways.. go buy some tape and put them back on and save yourself having to get your door painted.. and then the paint not matching due to fading..then you dealing with all of that.

i mean is having no door moldings worth that much????
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 04:10 PM
I agree. I think removing the moldings gives the car a cheap look you see on some econoboxes. Now if I were to choose between 99-00 gaurds or no guards, I'd say prolly no gaurds. The 99-00 gaurds look like poop.

I'm debating wether or not to remove them from my 2000, but don't want to risk damaged paint.

They are staying on my 98 for sure though.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 06:41 PM
these would be hawt on a silver frost imo...

Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 06:49 PM
i think mine looks so much beter with the molding s gone IMO so thats done. I was gonna get the door repainted any way becuase there are some scratcehs on it any way , so it kinda works out.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 06:52 PM
how bad are the scratches..buffing is a lot cheaper and failsafe than painting..

but if you like em off thats your thing

also if you go to a commuter college.. YOU WANT DOOR GUARDS!

parking garages are made to fit as many cars as possible. this leaves very little room in spots. My 86 f-150 was as wide as a parking spot if you went from outside of trailer hauling mirrot to the other.

just a suggestion. it was one of the determining factors for me in deciding to keep them.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 06:55 PM
i think mine looks so much beter with the molding s gone IMO so thats done. I was gonna get the door repainted any way becuase there are some scratcehs on it any way , so it kinda works out.

With the amount of body parts you are repainting though, you are better off repainting the whole car. You mentioned tons of parts in another thread, and now this.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 07:00 PM

With the amount of body parts you are repainting though, you are better off repainting the whole car. You mentioned tons of parts in another thread, and now this.

i followed this philosophy and my car went from t-red to pearl white. If you are going to paint it a diferent color keep in mind it is way easier to stick to a color near your original color than to do something like i did.
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:
how bad are the scratches..buffing is a lot cheaper and failsafe than painting..

but if you like em off thats your thing

also if you go to a commuter college.. YOU WANT DOOR GUARDS!

parking garages are made to fit as many cars as possible. this leaves very little room in spots. My 86 f-150 was as wide as a parking spot if you went from outside of trailer hauling mirrot to the other.

just a suggestion. it was one of the determining factors for me in deciding to keep them.

i go to high school

and yeah i minus well just repaint the whole car becuse itll be arounbd the same price and i would have differnt shades of silver all over it
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 08:04 PM
Now if I were to choose between 99-00 gaurds or no guards, I'd say prolly no gaurds. The 99-00 gaurds look like poop.

Ding-ding-ding!

Especially on silver. Mine turned a nasty shade of gray and really looked like . 98 ones are very nice and I wouldn't think about removing those.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 08:31 PM
well ill be a monkey's uncle.. never knew there was a difference.. and i agree.. the 99-00's are fugly

mine are nice tho
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: door gaurd help!!! - 06/16/06 08:35 PM
Mine are nice with out them
© CEG Archives