Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: teamSVTour Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/07/06 08:03 PM
I've been looking to replace the stock bulbs to give the license plate a cleaner more modern look. I've tried a couple different bulbs but none of them were what I was looking for. Anyone know of a bulb that will get me this look. I dont want to have to mess w/ LEDS (by this I mean soldering,resistors,etc.) I'm looking for plug and play. Check out the pic for a reference.

Thanks
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/07/06 08:34 PM
I just got two 3610-W4 Festoon bulbs(two cones on either end) from Superbrightleds.com. I'll take pics of it, when it gets dark. There are 4 white leds in it so I hope it looks good.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/07/06 08:38 PM
nice! I would def like to see the pics. The Lexus's look really nice, hopefully yours turn out that good.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 01:46 AM
Kerry lets see them pics!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 04:57 AM
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
nice! I would def like to see the pics. The Lexus's look really nice, hopefully yours turn out that good.

why would anyone want brighter license plate lights?

Posted By: KerryKool Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 05:06 AM
I'm loading them now, some are a bit blurry cause I could find my tripod.

Edit: Here we go;

The last image is the most still. I should have taken before pics, but I was just too excited to get rid of the yellow look. I'm going to aim them a bit more torward the license so the "ground effect" going on will go away.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

why would anyone want brighter license plate lights?

Your missing the point. It's not for brightness, its to get rid of the ugly stock yellow light for a cleaner look.

Kerry, yours look good. Is it me or are yours more like bright white, where as the lexus have a very slight tint of blue/purple...almost like HID lighting.

Those are way better than stock, good find. I still want to try to get closer to the lexus pic though.

Has anyone else tried or are currently running blubs to get this look?
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 06:59 AM
It is a bit bright, but they(superbrightleds.com) only had one option for white. Still though, I love the new look, I even got blue courtesy lights, and red cluster bulbs for my needles, I'll take more pics when I finsh my needle lights.

I did find BMW lights online somewhere, not sure if its blue-ish, but I'll post the link when I find it.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 07:12 AM

Old picture but yes?
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 04:19 PM
Anyone know if these will work for the license plate???

http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=PIA19223/353.0
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 04:59 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:
Anyone know if these will work for the license plate???

http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=PIA19223/353.0

It should, but that is almost $5 more expensive than the LED Festoon bulbs I have. I'm not sure if that will produce a blue look, if thats what your looking for.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 05:15 PM
They are supposed to be extreme white...
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 05:16 PM
Tour racer, looks good. Yours and Kerry's are about the same, nice bright white.

But the Lexus have a little more a purplish/blue hue...not a purple or blue bulb but instead like the HID lighting. Lexus did an awesome job at pulling through the HID color from the headlights into the back for a clean look. Thats what I am aiming for. I've tried several bulbs and either they did not light bright enough at all or they were too blue (basically just a blue bulb).

I know I've seen site's that sell LED's that have "white" and also "cool white" LEDS, I just can't think of them off hand. I think the "cool white" might be closer to what I'm looking for. I will try to see what I can find.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 05:24 PM
im not gonna lie, but after looking at those and then going back out and looking mine, stock do look like crap
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 05:29 PM
teamSVTour, have you tried the ones that I posted a link to?
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/08/06 06:11 PM
Rawburt, No I have not tried any PIAA brand. Brands I have tried were no name brands but they were cheap so I figured what the hell. Should have known by how cheap they were that they were not going to look good. PIAA generally speaking has very good products I have the PIAA 510's w/ both the White bulbs and Ion Fog and I really like them. However, PIAA is usually rediculously expensive (great warranty though, it came in handy once). Those PIAA's might look great but I'm sure they also cost alot.

I'm not sure if the Lexus uses a bulb or LED's but in order to get that look I'm sure you need to use what that car is using.

Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
im not gonna lie, but after looking at those and then going back out and looking mine, stock do look like crap

Haha see told you. I mean the stockers are aweful. The yellow light is worse then the stock headlights. Being that you are running HID's I'm surprised you have not jumped on this sooner.
Posted By: blakjak Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/09/06 09:38 PM
why don't you go to the store and get the bulbs that go in the lexus. if they don't plug and play and your really adament(sp?) about it, go to the lexus dealership and pick up the right connectors.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/09/06 10:09 PM
Couple problems with that and I've thought about it but the only "store" that would probably have them since it is off the new lexus's are the dealership and I am not going to spend what would probably amount to an exorbitant amount of $ for 2 OEM bulbs and connections to make it work and then later find out it fries my electricals somehow b/c it is not the correct wattage/current/ or something.

I'm trying to get "the look" from an aftermarket bulb that would only cost a few bucks.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 02:11 PM
I've been looking to replace the stock bulbs to give the license plate a cleaner more modern look. I've tried a couple different bulbs but none of them were what I was looking for. Anyone know of a bulb that will get me this look. I dont want to have to mess w/ LEDS (by this I mean soldering,resistors,etc.) I'm looking for plug and play. Check out the pic for a reference.

Thanks

the forum with that picture had the following quote..
Quote:

I bought those white bulbs for my car too (Polarg M4 wedge bulbs). They look so much better than the stock yellow ones. Here is a pic. Blurry pic I know, but I didn't have a tripod. It looks awesome in picture.

{this is where that picture is}

I personally think it looks a lot better on light-colored cars. Mine is the 5w bulb because I didn't want to risk my electrical wire with the higher watts bulb.

the bulbs on that car are these

polarg 5w

polarg has an m16 dome light bulb.. i dont know what kind of blub our cars take
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:
the bulbs on that car are these

polarg 5w

polarg has an m16 dome light bulb.. i dont know what kind of blub our cars take

Found it.

Polarg M28 Super White Dome Light 10W

Factory bulb is 6418. I'll be getting the Polarg instead of the LED type from superbrightleds.com. LEDs can be a pain since the light doesn't always spread out evenly. The Polarg is just a standard type of bulb.

EDIT: Just found on the a Focus forum, someone was running them there also and loves it. Same M28 bulb. These can also be installed into the dome and map lights. Factory is 6411 and Polarg shows it on the list for the M28.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 03:12 PM
Good find Tony... I'ma buy em'
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 03:49 PM
thanks for the credit rawburt..

just kidding ima gonna get em too.. how many do i need to cover the dome and map lights.. 3?? do we have 2 license plate lights??
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 03:58 PM

just kidding ima gonna get em too.. how many do i need to cover the dome and map lights.. 3?? do we have 2 license plate lights??

Yup, so 3 packages will do it and leave you an extra bulb.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 04:13 PM

Haha, sorry man... Tony gave the direct link
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 05:34 PM
Awesome. I saw the Polarg reference a while ago but I did not have success finding a reputable place to buy (although I'll admit I did not look very hard). Good find guys. Thats what I will be buying

P.S. post pics when you have them installed

P.S.S These bulbs are rated at 10w. Is the stock wattage for the lisence plate and dome lights 10w?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 06:11 PM

P.S.S These bulbs are rated at 10w. Is the stock wattage for the lisence plate and dome lights 10w?

5w

I searched up and down for a Polarg 5w in the same 36mm x 10mm size and they apparently don't make it.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Look of the new Lexus license plate - 06/13/06 08:23 PM
I dunno do you think 5 additional watts would hurt anything? I mean its not like we would be jumping from 5 to 25 or something even higher

edit: Alot of ppl have done the Silverstar mod where you put the 65W hi-beam bulb in the low beam socket (low beam supposed to be 55w) and have been ok w/ it.

In fact what is the fog lights rated at? I have PIAA 510's in there that IIRC are 50w and they are fine. I dont think a 10w bulb in the license plate and dome lights etc. should hurt. Maybe someone can chime in.
© CEG Archives