Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RawBurt DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 04:19 PM
So I won the Mirko from the SZ raffle and think I'm going to try to paint it myself. I know the body shop will quote something ridiculous for a piece that will get chipped to hell anyway. So I'm going to give this a shot anyway... Can you guys provide me with a process to do this.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 04:21 PM
Just scuff it up with some fine sand paper, shoot some primer, couple coats of spray paint going light and even a couple times, finish with some clear coat.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 04:25 PM
Ill paint it for you $50 including paint
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 04:26 PM
Originally posted by tod "choco vag" ras:
Just scuff it up with some fine sand paper, shoot some primer, couple coats of spray paint going light and even a couple times, finish with some clear coat.

What grit?
Any sanding or anything in between coats and what not?

Originally posted by Decepticon:
Ill paint it for you $50 including paint

Did you paint yours?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 04:31 PM
I used duplicolor base and clear on mine....i've had it on for about three weeks and it's got so many paint chips that i'm going to take it off and re-paint it every couple weeks.

You are a bit more fortunate however, a paint chip on a white mirko with silver paint won't show much if at all so you may not ahve to worry. I know the duplicolor clear left an awesome gloss finish while it lasted.....
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 04:36 PM
Josh, how do you have yours secured?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 05:05 PM
Mark painted his right before SZ since I fixed a few chunks that were missing. Looks great. Just painted it with some paint and clearcoat in a can. I must warn you though, the clearcoat in a can has pretty terrible durability. I think even bugs will chip the clear, so give it 6 coats or so.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 05:48 PM
use duplicolor base coat but get some good heavy rustoleum enamel clear coat, enamel is VERY tough once it drys.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 05:49 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:
Josh, how do you have yours secured?

A bolt through each side.....
Posted By: Swazo Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 05:50 PM
Also, leave the Mirko off of the car for 30 days after spraying it. That way the paint/clear is fully cured and will be durable. Considering that it's the most damage prone area of your car, it's more than just a good idea.... it's the only way IMO. Then you can color sand it and buff it to a glass like surface and not worry about it developing a texture. Sometimes if you color sand before it's totally cured it will get a texture or an orange peel look because it hasn't fully release it's solvents.

Use tons of clear! Spray one nice and even coat on the light side, let it flash, repeat upwards of 10 times. Rattle cans don't lay down a lot of material like HVLP guns, so the more coats you can get down without sagging, dripping, crazing or the like.....the better.

Sand with 600 grit inbetween coats if you need to (crap in the finish or any minor fixes), but other wise as long as it's cleaned with a tack cloth you shouldn't need to do anything else besides let the clear flash.

DuPont makes a really good trim/door jam clear coat that comes in a rattle can. It flashes very quick and flows out very nice. You could easily get 10 coats on with this stuff. I used it the lasttime I did my front bumper/mirko and loved working with it and it's results
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 06:02 PM
30 days, I dont know if I can wait that long Thanks for the advice swazo.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 06:03 PM
Nothing too harsh, as to avoid having scratch marks.

Get a nice coat of primer on there. It shouldn't take long at all to dry. Apply a thin coat of paint to avoid running. Wait until it's a little tacky, and spray another coat. Coat the Mirko until it's covered. Let it dry completely. Spray with clearcoat in a little thicker layer, as you'll be able to tell when it starts to shine that you've got enough on there. Let it dry, and apply another coat. Keep doing this until you're happy.

Mark
Posted By: Steeda. Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 06:06 PM
Yes i painted my Rawburt. I need to do it again as there is a huge chip now
Posted By: Swazo Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 06:21 PM
In all honesty, I think I only waited 2 weeks. But 30 days would be ideal.

No matter what, if something nasty enough actually removes fiberglass when it hits it..... it doesn't matter how much clear is on there or how cured it is. But for 99% of what's going to hit it will have a lot harder time in chipping it if you do let it cure.

Look at the bigger picture. How much time do you want to spend in repairing your mirko and/or it's paint? If you do it right the first time, you'll save a lot more time in the long run.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/22/06 07:06 PM
Lots of helpful hints here guys. I'm planning on tackling my sideskirts and this thread will definitely help. Thanks!
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/23/06 11:20 AM
I sanded the mirko with 400 grit then shot some primer. Should I sand the primer, and if so what grit?
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/23/06 04:03 PM
Wetsand w/ 400 grit & soapy water (carwash), put your paper in the bucket & use a sponge to keep the surface wet & soapy & wipe after you sand to check the smoothness...hose off, let dry. Wipe down w/ a tack rag & paint.

If you can still see deep sanding marks, repeat until smooth

FYI...make sure the primer's heavy enough not to sand completely through, you want a good surface for adhesion, and lightly sand around the edges...it's easy to sand right through those areas.

...and this is where you will get many different opinions
Posted By: Swazo Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/23/06 04:39 PM
First off, what kind of primer? Etching primer is what you should have started with. Filler primer is what you should spray next, and that can be block sanded with 400 & 600. A sealer primer is purely optional, it'll give your top coating process come out that much better.

Second, 600 grit is fine enough to where you won't see the sanding marks when painted and clear coated.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/23/06 04:40 PM
Filler primer is what I used.
Posted By: GreaseyMonkey Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/23/06 04:51 PM
Yes i painted my Rawburt. I need to do it again as there is a huge chip now

ewwwwwww..

i knew it...
Posted By: m!key Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 01:36 AM
i cant wait to see this. you won the damn thing for 5 bucks, go get a pro to do the job right.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 01:52 AM
Originally posted by m!key:
i cant wait to see this. you won the damn thing for 5 bucks, go get a pro to do the job right.

agreed

it is silver however so you might get away with the imperfection

my mirko is due for another paint job, it got beat badly on the drive to and from SZ..
Posted By: Harrry Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 07:12 AM

Agreed, i got mine painted. 110.00 They used flex in the paint. Which helps the paint from spider cracks and chip marks.

Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 11:56 AM

Haha, I actually dropped 40 bucks on it and my second raffle ticket was the winner. So in reality I should of only dropped 10 bucks! I dont have the money right now to have it professionally painted because of my ticket, so im giving it a shot myself until and only if I need to get it done at a body shop.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 11:59 AM
????
Last night I wet sanded the primer with 800 grit and it turned out great. Its smooth as glass.

1. Can I use ONLY the mounting hardware for the sides with out the brackets that go up front?

2. What grit for wet sanding do I use in between coats of paint?

3. Do I wetsand the clear coat?
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 12:32 PM
I probably would've used something w/ a little courser grit to give the paint something to grab onto...not that it won't work w/ 800. I have very little experience w/ rattle can jobs, but if your paint goes on pretty smooth & flows well, there shouldn't be any sanding of the paint, only the final clear. If you are seeing alot of orange peel in your coats use 1000-1200 grit in between (wet) & finish your final clear w/ 1200-2000 grit & polish (a bit more to it than slapping on some finishing polish, but I think you can handle that part).

My dad has had a body shop for 50 yrs, and my being 36 gives me a bit of experience in cheap labor...
Posted By: Pole120 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 01:34 PM
I'm not running the aluminum brackes, just two bolts through the side.

~Josh
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 01:35 PM
I'm going to need to wet sand the paint I have a feeling. The mirko is not easy at all to spray, its no flat surface thats for sure. The wet sanding wont take away from the silver frost shine will it? I shouldn't have to worry about it dulling or anything?

Originally posted by Jager-bud120:
I'm not running the aluminum brackes, just two bolts through the side.

~Josh

Thats what I tried asking you earlier. Are they the two side bolts that were provided with the mirko?
Posted By: stocksvtcontour Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 01:53 PM
In my experience you will have to wet sand. I would use 1500-2000 because if you go any lower when wet sanding it is hard to get the scratches out. same concept I used The only thing I would do differently is I would hand polish because it is not such a big project.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 02:07 PM
I just have a button head cap screw on each side, i didn't use whatever is included wit hthe splitter....in fact i don't think i've even taken the brackets out of the box....The splitter came wit hside fasteneres??
Posted By: Steeda. Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 02:35 PM
I got some screw/nut combo from Aco.

Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 02:38 PM
O rly?
Please elaborate.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 02:44 PM
i would have to show you, its flathead screw with like a 1/4-1/2" head with a washer/nut behind it.

Works well
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 02:58 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'm going to need to wet sand the paint I have a feeling. The mirko is not easy at all to spray, its no flat surface thats for sure. The wet sanding wont take away from the silver frost shine will it? I shouldn't have to worry about it dulling or anything?

No it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have enough material built up...if you can try to get a good smooth coat on before you clear that would be best, just make sure you're overlapping wet areas.

Don't paint in direct sunlight & as long as it's not too hot where you are painting, you shouldn't have a problem w/ it drying too fast on you (which is where you'll have problems blending each pass & creating orange peel)...once it's dry enough to handle, you can move it into the sunlight to hasten drying/curing & evaporating the solvent.

1000-1200 grit is fine for in between coats. I'd finish w/ 2000 on your final clear. Just remember all sanding once you've begun painting is all wet sanding. If you can get ahold of an orbital or PC to do the initial buffing, do it. You'll be surprised at how quickly the finish brightens. Yes, it's a small piece in relation to the entire car, but a polisher will work...low speed

Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 03:01 PM
Thanks SVZETEC, this has been very helpful.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 03:03 PM
Im not sure how much paint you plan to have built up using a spray can, but generally rattle cans do not build up well at all. Anything under probably 10 freaking coats will come right off with wetsanding.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 03:06 PM
when i painted mine and the bike i sprayed 2 primer then sanded, 4 layers of color, 2 clear 1000(wet), 2 clear 1500 wet, 2 clear let sit then wax
Posted By: Pole120 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 05:11 PM
when i painted mine and the bike i sprayed 2 primer then sanded, 4 layers of color, 2 clear 1000(wet), 2 clear 1500 wet, 2 clear let sit then wax

What brand of pruduct did you use for paint?
Posted By: Steeda. Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 05:42 PM
duplicolor
Posted By: Pole120 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 06:03 PM
duplicolor

I'm not happy with the durrablility of the Duplicolor finish on my splitter.....i'll keep looking i guess.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 07:27 PM
i would have to show you, its flathead screw with like a 1/4-1/2" head with a washer/nut behind it.

Works well

hmmm... sounds like a good idea. where'd you come up with that?
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 07:30 PM
Originally posted by MxRacer:

Works well

Ahh, If this is what you did Mx can you please tell me. I searched and found that you went around the dzus fastener route. What store can I get this from, I need to pick this up TODAY.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 07:37 PM
ace hardware. do you have the pic of them, or do i need to dig it up?

edit... nevermind, i found them.

ignore the bottom parts of the pics where it shows it with a nut on it. i was using the nut as a spacer (which you may need to do as well, depending on the length of the bolts they have).

this is the top half of the nut/bolt setup...

and this is the bottom half...

Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 07:38 PM
I dont have a close up, if you could dig some up. I'd love you forever
Posted By: Steeda. Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 07:49 PM
Originally posted by MxRacer:

Works well

Mine is slightly different!

Pole i don't like the durability either of duplicolor
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 08:48 PM
What Jim and myself used, are torx bit bolts with a rounded head, with a locking nut on the back. They're small and unnoticable, and easy to remove.

Mark
Posted By: Harrry Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/24/06 10:05 PM
I just used the bolts that came with the kit when i put my mirko on.

1 on each end. Easy to put it on and off the car.

Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/25/06 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Rickson:
I just used the bolts that came with the kit when i put my mirko on.

1 on each end. Easy to put it on and off the car.

Yup this is what I ended up doing. It would be nice to have quarter or half turn fasteners, but its not a big deal. It takes me no longer the 60 seconds to remove the installed mirko.

Anyway, last night I got a coat of paint on. Tonight, I'll wetsand with 1000 grit, shoot another coat of paint on and let dry for the night.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/25/06 09:53 PM
What good id that splitter if your UIM isn't honed?????

PM me for a fix....
Posted By: RawBurt Re: DIY Mirko Paint Job - 05/26/06 12:25 PM
Your a funny guy, save it for your contour...
© CEG Archives