Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Goonz SVT Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 06:29 AM
ok ok..I was wondering if all the people that made their own projector headlights for post-98 wanna share HOW they did it?? did you guys cut open the headlight (hoping for no as an answer) What did you guys have to modify to stick the projectors in??? where and what kind of projectors were used?? and the final one..is it possible for anyone to do it?? thanks!
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 06:34 AM

I went outside one day and they were just there.....
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 06:54 AM
That is the most beautiful things I have ever seen

Now I just have to hear about how he got em there
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 08:34 AM
Originally posted by skrilla187:

seriously, howd you do it?
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 09:43 AM
I do believe you have to rip the light open and just cut away til you can fit a projector in there, then seal...in general terms.
Posted By: tropictour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 12:37 PM
A picture of the rear of the headlight housing would be helpful.
-tropictour
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 02:47 PM
Well if anyone will donate a pair of old used 98+ headlights I can do a How-To on it. I have a pair of OEM Acura Integra headlamps (both include a removable projector - how convienient) and it just takes like 4 screws to secure it.

Once I get a headlamep, I will do it and post it.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
Originally posted by skrilla187:

seriously, howd you do it?

They were made buy a guy that was on the CEG before. He stopped making them because some people did'nt like the quality.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 03:12 PM
Swazo's setup is just like Skrillas. You could probably install them from behind without ever having to seperate the clear lens from the reflector assembly. Dion installed both lowbeams and highbeams onto a carbon fiber backing plate for his (looks very hot). Josch put OEM HID (A6, IIRC) into his pre-98 housings and had to clear the lens out so the fluting wouldnt throw the light everywhere. Mine are installed into modded OEM lenses. To my knowledge, I am the only one (Contour/Mystique) who has the Hellas exposed to the elements. If you want to talk to either Swazo or Dion they are in Utah or So.Cal. Milan doesnt hang around here anymore, and I doubt he would help the CEG community with this info.

If you are looking for a place to buy the projectors, 90mm DOT Hellas, the most common lamp, they even have a matching foggie. 120mm DOT lamp, this is what, IIRC, Milan used in his personal setup. P.U.M.A. doesnt list their Hellas on their website, but you can get the 90mm ECE lamps, and most likely the 120mm ECE units from them. Having gone through two sets of DOT 90mm pieces, and one set of ECE 90mm lamps, IMHO, the ECE pieces are the way to go for our cars, 98+ included. The beam pattern in tighter and the cutoff is razor sharp. Both the ECE and DOT versions will (should have) a new, flat cutoff shield created when they have HID installed.
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 03:47 PM
Yah the Integras have the cutoff shield and the _/- look in side the projector so you dont blind the left traffic.
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 04:06 PM
Also anyone thought about putting in Halos? Those are tight when at night!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 04:51 PM
Originally posted by CSVT985:

i think halos are only legit on BMW's
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 05:24 PM

oh?

Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 05:27 PM
Now thats what I am talking about, but I will be using white halos instead of blue.
Posted By: rthoman Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 05:37 PM
Whos car is that with the halos? They are sweet, I would pay to have a set of lights like that made!
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 05:45 PM
Originally posted by rthoman:
Whos car is that with the halos? They are sweet, I would pay to have a set of lights like that made!

$1200 is what I remember they went for. Most if not all balked at the cost, especially when the quality was suspect. I have seen some great examples and some really crappy examples.
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 05:52 PM
i have halos in my fog lights...thank you Pilot Fog Lights 1069:)
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 06:32 PM

I agree. Too many riced-out Civics and Accords running around with halos, too.

ebay search for "Honda halo" resulting in 451 items confirms it.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy:
Most if not all balked at the cost

I would say when you consider he only had ~$250 in lamps inside them, throw in roughly another ~$200 in HID parts and, IIRC the buyers lamps there was a good profit made on them.

Those prices arent for bulk purchases either, which he would have done.

A one-off setup can get the price up there quickly, but mass producing them is something completely different.

Halos are easy, some clear acrylic rods, heated and bent around a tube the size you want. Notched either on the inside (facing the lamp) or on the front (facing out) and lit with two LEDs. Not hard to build knock-offs. OEM BMW pieces go for a bit more.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 07:48 PM
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
Halos are easy, some clear acrylic rods, heated and bent around a tube the size you want. Notched either on the inside (facing the lamp) or on the front (facing out) and lit with two LEDs. Not hard to build knock-offs. OEM BMW pieces go for a bit more.

ANGEL EYES
They came on the 2001 BMW and has been a popular design to copy. Here is a few examples of how to make them:

* 3/8 inch acrylic rods can be heat bended in a circle. In each end insert a high brightness white LED. For double the light, make 2 half circles and insert 4 LEDs instead of 2. To get the light to hit the rod, it need something to light up: Create small vertical cuts on the back with 2-3mm spacing. A dremel with a circular cutting blade is excellent to do this job. To create the best optical contact between the LED and the rod, use a 100% transparent glue or silicone.

* White 12" spaced white LED flexible arrays from Radiantz.com can be mounted around a projector headlight to make a similar appearance. Picture shows a Audi A6 projector unit embrased by the LED array inserted into a Nissan Maxima headlight. Thanks to multi talented "MGB" for these pictures.

* Home made LED array. In general, any kind of LED will do. There is a few things to consider. Colorwise, I would choose white and not the blueish white to keep the cops happy. I'd say the more LEDs you solder in there, the better will it look like a continous circle. Look for LEDs that have as high opening angle - at least 30 degrees. LEDS tend to be bright straigth ahead and very dim to the side. Also note the maximum current you can send through a LEDs at certain tempratures. A typical hi-power LED can take a max 30mA of load at room temp. On a hot summer day, inside temp of a headlight can go up to maybe 50-100 degree Celsius, all depending. At that temp, max load is maybe 10mA. So look for LEDs that can run as high current as possible at elevated temperatures. If its labled for automotive purposes, its usually a high temperature span on it.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 08:13 PM
DIY angel eyes

i tried. came out like this:

the heat from the actual headlight bulbs ended up killing the LEDs. looked hot for a while though
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 09:16 PM
Originally posted by LancasterSVT:

those look nice..clean job

and how did you do all that?!?
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/05/05 09:27 PM
I would love to know myself. I actually just did a quick search for quicksilver and remembered he had them. Those images are taken from http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=picsvids&Number=289299&Forum=picsvids&Words=halo&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=250&Old=allposts&Main=289273&Search=true#Post289299

I suggest you PM Quicksilver for answers =)
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 12:18 AM

You will have to do more them a PM, his last post was April of last year.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 01:48 AM

You will have to do more them a PM, his last post was April of last year.

yea I was gonna say, what the hell. I really want projectors just for the lows for when i get HID's. I need to have some idea of what I'm doing.

*edit* actually his last post was like earlier 2004
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 04:21 AM
other than replacing the glass on pre98 lights, is there any other way to clear them? (Using the existing lenses)
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 09:22 AM
Take the lenses off and go over them *very* slowly with a Dremil to take the fluting off. Take your time and be very patient and you will eventually get them smooth.

Dont do it unless you are adding projectors because all your work will be for nothing. The insides of a pre-98 lamp arent that impressive either, I wouldnt want to show them off.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 04:43 PM
I remember someone saying that in order to put in projectors, you DONT have to cut into the headlights, just wondering if that still holds in true, cause if I do hafta cut into the headlights, eff it I'll just buy HID's and aim them low
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 04:49 PM
I remember someone saying that in order to put in projectors, you DONT have to cut into the headlights, just wondering if that still holds in true, cause if I do hafta cut into the headlights, eff it I'll just buy HID's and aim them low

hehe i just ordered new light housings, and will be ordering HIDs on the 15th. I am so excited. Finally to know what the road looks like again.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 04:54 PM
Originally posted by auiotour:

hehe i just ordered new light housings, and will be ordering HIDs on the 15th. I am so excited. Finally to know what the road looks like again.

what you gonna do with the old ones?? and just a suggestion, if you are buying HID's, buy them from this guy, he has the Phillips brand that are sooooo hard to find

Phillips HID Xenon Kits
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 06:24 PM
what you gonna do with the old ones??

Yah I want to know as well, I need a used pair of headlights so I can do a How-To on installing Projectors. Are ya will to see them??

BTW good luck with the HID's I hear the glare is still horrible even if aimed down. Just watch the law enforcement, they might think you have your brights on.
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/06/05 08:24 PM
Wow I totally screwed that post up

Are you willing to sell them?

lol
Posted By: Swazo Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 01:36 AM
Swazo's setup is just like Skrillas.

Well..... they did other than my HL's were hightower'ized. But I now have 90mm highbeams added in along with some more mods

When people were shelling out too much $$$$ for this mod to be done for them, I did it myself for $125 I would not do this without cutting the lense off mainly because of all the debris that is made from the mods needed to allow the 90mm Hella units to be installed. Though, if one felt they could remove all of the plastic/dust particles and they weren't looking to paint their bezels....... it'd be worth attempting to avoid sealing issues some have encountered. Though I have only had one very minor leak that was easily fixed by double checking/touching up the black silicone used to seal them.

I decided against doing a how-to for this mod. Anyone that should be dabbeling in something like this should have a general idea on how, and if they needed help (there have been many who have asked me for a little info here and there...) they can ask me. I'm always willing to help out where I can....
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 01:59 AM
The HIDs i am getting are from www.plasmagarage.com, same ones loco has. they are 398shipped. And the ebay auction list doesn't have the right size of lights listed right now.\

As for the old housings, i was thinking about sanding them down (slightly yellowed as of now) and then putting some protectant on it that my dad's work uses (can't buy it). And then install projectors in them and selling them. Not sure yet. How much you guys thinking you were gonna spend? I don't even know what a used set would go for.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 02:06 AM
Well, I think I'm gonna attempt this now, I will try to fit in Hella 90mm projectors ONLY to the low beams. I will NOT be cutting the headlights, as swazo said, there will be debri's but I'll manage somehow to get all that out.

These are what I'm getting
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 04:36 AM
so far I found it in this web-site

Hella 90mm low beam
Posted By: Swazo Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 06:05 AM
This is where I got my ish
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 07:52 AM
okay so if I get the 90mm hella projector, do I need these accessories for mounting?

this is what the projector is

mounting plates??

adjuster kit??

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 02:04 PM
Please keep sales and WTB type of posts out of the forums and to PMs.
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 02:38 PM
Sorry Steve, I didnt mean to.

Its just so freaking hard to find a cheap pair of headlights just to practice on.

I went and found just 1 drivers side lamp at a junk yard that was COMPLETELY yellowed over (no transparency whatsoever) and they wanted $100 for it!

It couldnt even be used!!

Anyways...sorry. Ill shut up now.

-Brian
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 02:46 PM
Sorry Steve, I didnt mean to.

Why do people call me Steve every once in awhile?

No worries - just a friendly reminder. I like to keep the forums I moderate as "clean" as possible. Posting back and forth goes OT and clutters the thread.

Your best bet to find used headlights:
- local junkyards
- Ebay
- Classifieds

HTH
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 03:46 PM
I dont know why I called you Steve....Pete.

Isnt Steve just another way of saying Pete?

Bill - Dick
Will - Bill
Steve - Pete
Michael Jackson - Child Molestor
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 04:55 PM
Originally posted by SVT PETE:

I dont think its a sale type of post, Its not only for my information, but for others who are wondering the same as me. Its the whole idea of forums isn't it?
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 05:09 PM
Originally posted by SVT PETE:

I dont think its a sale type of post, Its not only for my information, but for others who are wondering the same as me. Its the whole idea of forums isn't it?

Please re-read the entire thread. There are 3 posts asking auiotour if he's going to sell his old headlights.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 06:38 PM
okay so if I get the 90mm hella projector, do I need these accessories for mounting?

this is what the projector is

mounting plates??

adjuster kit??

anyone?
Posted By: carraudio Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 06:40 PM
I would think you would have to have it.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/07/05 10:44 PM
Those plates are extra, but the adjustment "screws" or whatever you want to call them come with the housings. The ears that mount the adjusters, I actually cut off to fit deeper into the OEM housing. Dion mod'ed the housing to retain them and keep them adjustable.

I adjust my whole housing as my HL's were set to where I wanted them and then perminatly epoxied into place. My theory was anything that was going to knock them out of alignment would destroy the lense, ect. A good amount of adjustment still can be made, but I have never needed to.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/08/05 01:57 AM
The housings are just ABS plastic and can easily be modded. I used the set of lowbeams that I had originally purchased for highbeams in my foggies. They now sit (or will when I finish the next step, missing $) in clear 5.75" housings.

Anyway, I didnt use the mounting plates either. Mine are mounted to an aluminum sheet that is mounted to the car. It wouldnt be hard to mount them to the lamp instead. You could aim everything up and -then- seal the space. Just an idea.

And, coming from one who has used both, get the highbeams as well. They are well worth it, and it gives you the full assortment of matching Hellas. It looks better and, at least on the pre-98s, performs much better then the OEM highs.

Like I mentioned, the ECE lowbeams give a crisper cutoff and a slightly narrower beam pattern when compared to the duller cutoff and almost 180 degree coverage of the DOT lowbeam. The coverage might sound like its a disadvantage, but the lamps are stuffed into the housing, cannot give their full coverage because the light will bounce off the internals of the OEM housing. The ECE lamps use an H7 which has a lot more bulb choices/availability then the H9 equipped DOT lamp. Granted, lumens are down slightly with the H7 but the light on the road is brighter because of the pattern. The ECE lamp will also give a razor sharp cutoff which is better if you want HID.

The bad part of the ECE lamps, they will cost you about $80 more. I didnt check with Susquehanna to see if they have the ECE lamps.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/08/05 02:15 AM
You know what, I haven't posted a pic of my car in some time so...

Posted By: weasel Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/10/05 05:32 AM
Quote:

Like I mentioned, the ECE lowbeams give a crisper cutoff and a slightly narrower beam pattern when compared to the duller cutoff and almost 180 degree coverage of the DOT lowbeam.

I thought the DOT lights were the narrow beam and the ECE lights were wider. Well it certainly is that way when I added ECE lights to my Jetta. I went from having two little spots on the road to a full width from ditch to ditch. Now they are not projectors, but that shouldn't make a difference. Anyone thought about using the 90mm foglight module ? Looks a bit easier to install and its a bit cheaper too ...
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/10/05 04:01 PM
Thats how it has been in all the other cars that I have put the ECE lamps in. I guess this is the oddball though.

From what I have found, it has to have more light in the center due to the lamp having the ability to rotate 15 degrees to work for both RHD and LHD. It would need equal amounts of light for both a right hand flare or a left hand flare. If the DOT lamp has the same cutoff shield as the ECE (I have tried) it would be downright dangerous to rotate the lamp because it creates a dim spot in front of the car.

This thread has got me thinking about modding the truck...
Posted By: weasel Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/10/05 04:11 PM
So I guess in this case, I should go for the DOT's. I really like that extra width ( makes great deer detectors ) The ECE's in the Jetta have saved my bacon more than once. Best $500 I ever spent on that car ....
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/10/05 05:29 PM
Originally posted by weasel:

I thought the DOT lights were the narrow beam and the ECE lights were wider. Well it certainly is that way when I added ECE lights to my Jetta. I went from having two little spots on the road to a full width from ditch to ditch. Now they are not projectors, but that shouldn't make a difference. Anyone thought about using the 90mm foglight module ? Looks a bit easier to install and its a bit cheaper too ...

hmmm, wouldn't the module look a little smaller then the regular low beam projector?? And since its a fog light, it wouldnt go that far??
Posted By: weasel Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 12:27 AM
They are the same diameter as the low beam projectors. As far as distance, you can only have things reach so far before you start to blind people. They come with H7 bulbs, so they can't be that bad .... You know something ? I just noticed that they are not projectors. Still, I wonder how well they work ?
Posted By: weasel Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 12:33 AM
Does anyone have a pic of the back of their headlamp housing with the projectors installed ?? I just got another set of headlights and the Minister of Finance said I could go ahead and order the projectors ( and the FF75 fogs )
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 12:55 AM
Does anyone have a pic of the back of their headlamp housing with the projectors installed ?? I just got another set of headlights and the Minister of Finance said I could go ahead and order the projectors ( and the FF75 fogs )

this was a picture PM'd to me by swazo..where are you getting your projectors from?? u going with the regular 90mm low beams?
Posted By: weasel Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 04:39 AM
Well I have a connection that I was going to order them through ( Canadian source ) but their site shows that they are out of stock. I have no idea when they will be getting more. I will most likely be going through www.rallylights.com. unless someone points me to a place with much better prices, I just assume go with them. Haven't hearn any complaints! Price seems to be reasonable and yes it looks as though I will be getting the regular, DOT projectors. I just don't have the cash for the ECE's and if what ExDelayed said is true about the differences in the beam pattern, the DOT's will suit me better anyway.
Posted By: weasel Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 05:09 AM
I just thought of something. Those H9 bulbs. That's not something I am familiar with. Are they hard to come across ?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 05:35 AM
I just thought of something. Those H9 bulbs. That's not something I am familiar with. Are they hard to come across ?

umm..dont think so.. PIAA H9's
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 07:09 AM

umm..dont think so.. PIAA H9's

so the hella's use h9 bulbs? what do they use for the brights?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 08:02 AM

so the hella's use h9 bulbs? what do they use for the brights?

I think we were only talking about the Hella Projectors for the low beams, I'm not sure about the highs though if thats what u meant
Posted By: weasel Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 04:17 PM
The high beam projectors use the same bulb.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 09:50 PM
FYI, Milan used H7's for my lows and H9's for my highs. He said that when using HIDs, the H7's were the better choice
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 09:53 PM
Its been, I think, about two years and I have yet to have one burn out, for safetys sake you could always pick up a spare or two from rallylights. In my case, Checker Auto and Pep Boys can special order Hella, so if worse comes to worse, I could always get another H9 with their shipping delay. Another reason for the ECEs, the much more common H7.

Weasel, keep in mind there is only about a 200 lumen difference between the H7 and the H9 (H9s favor). The extra spread, IMHO, made the DOT lamp dimmer. However it is still night and day compared to the stock lamp so dont worry.

And FWIW, deer look like sticks sticking up out of the road since their bodies are dimmer above the cutoff. Its kinda strange when you realise what your seeing.

There are no high beam projectors. Just the reflector based foglamp and highbeam, then the projector lowbeam. Contrary to what Milan had everyone believe, the true highbeam is considerably better then the modded lowbeam for the highbeam, especially if you plan on using them on the freeway at night.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 10:25 PM
I'm ordering mine tonight..Hella 90mm projectors for lows..here we go!
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 10:39 PM
Good luck and post how they turn out!!

Are they ribbed or smooth - I know that sounds like Condom types....but Acura integras are smooth, Ribbed show off more color right?

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/11/05 11:10 PM
Good luck and post how they turn out!!

Are they ribbed or smooth - I know that sounds like Condom types....but Acura integras are smooth, Ribbed show off more color right?

I have no idea what you mean..lol, I bought these

Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/12/05 09:48 AM

I assume you are refering to fluting on the lens itself (the black lens in the pics above). The DOT lamps have some very small ribs to blur the cutoff slightly. The cutoff isnt so sharp so you are less likely to have someone bright you when you go over a small bump in the road. The ECE lamps have a clear (unfluted) lens.

The fluting on the lens doesnt always effect color. If you push the cutoff shield towards the bulb about 1mm, your lamp will appear more blue. The colors in the center by the small step will have a lot more blue and purple in it. Since these colors can stray somewhat, you appear to be running a higher color temperature lamp. The opposite also holds true, and you will get more reds and yellows. I did this on my foggies that I built. Push in or pull out the shield too much and it will be too far past the focal point bluring your cutoff somewhat.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/12/05 05:11 PM
So how much are the high and low projectors, and how much are the adjusting plates.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/12/05 06:11 PM
So how much are the high and low projectors, and how much are the adjusting plates.

I only got the lows, those were $57, mounting bracket like $15.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/12/05 06:38 PM

The highbeams were the same price when I bought mine.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 06:23 AM
Where can I buy them from. Also, I got my new head lights in from the depo $219 with shipping. Installing them tomorrow afternoon, and uninstalling the old one for the projector/hid project.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 06:39 AM

I decieded that I would do the following, install new head lights, remove old ones. follow the haze removal how-to's, install projectors in both high and low sockets. Possibly change the corner light... not sure how, just some ideas. Then install HIDs, sell them on ceg or ebay for about $750-850. Then do it again for my car on a new set of depo lights, and then take the ones i just got out and do the same and sell them for a bit more since they will still be in mint condition. this will be a fun project. I am gonna buy the projectors friday instead of the hids. gonna wait to see how much money i will have @ paycheck, and then possibly get the hids at the end of the month. I hope the pics above will be useful to decieded the quality of depo's lights, as I am trying to get something in the works with depo.

Edit: I noticed the depo's headlights have a soft sealer and can possibly be pried apart, using heat, or something else. I may just try it.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 09:20 AM
check the fitment on those new depot's. I can bet you the drivers side headlight is gonne be off from the sides.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 02:46 PM
Get the lamps from either Susquehanna or P.U.M.A. both are listed in this thread (by me).

And, do me a favor, when you call to buy the lamps, please do not ask for highbeam projectors. They do not exist. IIRC, all Milan did to the lowbeams was remove the shield inside the lamp for the ones he built. When I tried to copy his I was very unhappy with the results. I noticed a big, nasty, overpowering blob of light when I did it to mine. I believe I still have a pic of the effect, I will look. The pattern is way to wide for high beam useage. Either you have basically another lowbeam with the blob shooting upwards, or a more filled in upper with the blob directly in front of you, which gives way too much foreground lighting, overpowering your eyes, so you cant see far anyway. I even went so far as to install them upside down, with the shield in place, but then there were two dim spots in front of the car. Granted I could light 180 degrees side to side, and up and down but it was dim on highs and I was unhappy. Now I can spread about three lanes (at about 60 feet) before the pattern becomes too dim to notice. The correct highbeams, even without HID fitted, had the OEM lamps their ass. The low for high mod had a dimmer pattern and too much coverage and no long range light to speak of. Im sure it would be the same for 98+.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 06:02 PM
check the fitment on those new depot's. I can bet you the drivers side headlight is gonne be off from the sides.

didn't think it would be that bad. but it was. I am getting ready to upload some pictures. I will have after shots tonight when its dark.

here are some more pictures of the old ones versus the new ones. and the bad fitment.

Big different between the old and the new

Left is depot, and the right is oem. sorry couldn't see bad lighting in picture wheni took it.

the bad fitment on the drivers side. absolutly horrible. gonna try to get refund.

here is the passenger side looking up. ugly.

Much better. lol that big dent in my parents expidition made me just run out and check to see if that was there.... it wasn't luckily. I was where did that come from.

don't unplug in below freezing whether, it doesn't come out to cool, and my hands sting now.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 06:04 PM

I am confused, no high beams, but these are two different projectors. are aren't the same ones. only thing i can think of is they are a different size or something, cause they don't look like you just take the shield off and there yea go.
Posted By: carraudio Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 06:09 PM
One is high and the other is low.

Do you think it would be hard to fit them on a pre 98 housing? I would like to make my own lights.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 07:54 PM
I am confused, no high beams, but these are two different projectors. are aren't the same ones.

HTH. I dont know why this picture wasnt posted in this thread until now.

Originally posted by carraudio:
Do you think it would be hard to fit them on a pre 98 housing? I would like to make my own lights.

You could probably squeeze the lowbeam into the lamp. The highbeam would run into clearance problems if it was installed into the stock lamp, thats why mine are mounted to a panel and the old headlamp is just there as a filler piece (the top of the high barely hides behind the hood). You would also need to remove all of the fluting on the lens so the projector would illuminate the things it is supposed to. PM me for pics of how I did mine, or search for a thread from me (around August) in Pics and Videos, the pics are still uploaded and still load. FWIW, Hella is supposedly coming out with a 50mm unit this year that would fit into the early lamps a lot easier. I dont know anything else about it though.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 08:35 PM

the bad fitment on the drivers side. absolutly horrible. gonna try to get refund.

here is the passenger side looking up. ugly.

I'm sorry

I knew this was gonna happen, return the headlights..
you still have time..return them for a refund and buy origional Ford ones..THey will be a bit more expensive..but they'll atleast fit
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad fitment of the "Depot" lights. I had a problem with them as well, a gap on the d/s one but heres what I did. I went up to PepBoys and got some thin vacumn line and made my own "gasket". Ofcoarse, I had to do the other side as well, hope this helps someone out
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 10:32 PM
I know my car is dirty, but the weather here has sucked lately.

Anyway, since I thought that the pic that I posted earlier didnt do the highs justice, here is a pic of the highbeams installed. They have quite a few different angles inside of them and reflect quite nicely in the day. You will also spot the D2S inside of them.

Chris, this gives you part of an idea on how they fit behind the pre-98 hood. Since I was supposed to get some other pics when I was doing the trans swap, I can provide more tomorrow if you want.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 11:16 PM
sweeeeet..that looks very nice. Do u have xenons in both highs and lows?
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/13/05 11:47 PM
Right now just the highs. With it being my first attempt at adding HID, I wanted to do it in such a way that the car would still be driveable if I ran into problems, which I did. The bulb placement was wrong and I got some nasty effects with the pattern. After I correct that issue, the difference was amazing.

Now I just need a bulb/ballast set, along with some cash to buy said set, and Ill have them in the lows as well.

It will look nicer when I get my new covers built. They will flow with the car's curves better then these. And, since it will all be built with one type of plastic, the weather/temperature changes wont cause cracking between the plastics, which can be seen.
Posted By: weasel Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/14/05 04:14 AM
Ordered my projectors on the 11th and already got a new set of lights from the wreckers. A bit faded, but I got some Plast-x and hopefully some free time. At least the mounts are in tact !
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/14/05 05:16 AM
i just emailed them to get an address to ship them back. Hopefully, i am still very disgusted at them, I recommend nobody buy their lights. I knew they were cheaper for a reason. They must have had a car that had gotten into an accident, and then fit the lights for that car using almost exact same style as the oem head lights.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/14/05 05:40 AM
i just emailed them to get an address to ship them back. Hopefully, i am still very disgusted at them, I recommend nobody buy their lights. I knew they were cheaper for a reason. They must have had a car that had gotten into an accident, and then fit the lights for that car using almost exact same style as the oem head lights.

I agree with you, the guy you bought it from is just a ditributor, he's a really good guy and I think its about time we all contact DEPO themselves and alert them of this problem, actually BIG problem! (hopefully a recall). They need to get new measurments in order to gain back the contour headlight market. I have nooo idea how to contact them though.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/14/05 05:43 AM

I agree with you, the guy you bought it from is just a ditributor, he's a really good guy and I think its about time we all contact DEPO themselves and alert them of this problem, actually BIG problem! (hopefully a recall). They need to get new measurments in order to gain back the contour headlight market. I have nooo idea how to contact them though.

I tried doing a search on yahoo and google, not bringing anything up to contact them directly.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/14/05 05:48 AM

I tried doing a search on yahoo and google, not bringing anything up to contact them directly.

ask oemqualityparts, I'm sure he'll tell u cause he knows this is a huuuge issue
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/14/05 09:48 AM
hmmm, in the picture where it shows the back of the depot lights, it kind of looks like u just do a little shaving around the lamp holes and you can just pop a projector right in there. Is it that easy?
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/14/05 02:19 PM
Basically. Keep in mind you must have the light clocked correctly so your right hand flare wont turn into a left hand flare. If its hard mounted everything must be perfect and aimed right. If you let the Hella's adjusters do their job you must find a way to seal the elements out of the lamp but still allow movement.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/14/05 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
hmmm, in the picture where it shows the back of the depot lights, it kind of looks like u just do a little shaving around the lamp holes and you can just pop a projector right in there. Is it that easy?

nope..there are 2 holes you need to shave, one where the headlight gets in (the one you are seeing) and also another hole where the reflecter stuff is (thats a b)
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/15/05 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:

nope..there are 2 holes you need to shave, one where the headlight gets in (the one you are seeing) and also another hole where the reflecter stuff is (thats a b)

I was at home depot, I think Im just gonna get those hole drillers, they look like a wide cup and are used to drill perfect holes..yea..I don't know how thats gonna go though

plus the projectors use H9's, that means I'll also hafta get those special H9 connectors/seals. Does silverstar make H9 bulbs?? Its gonna take me a looong time after this project to afford HID's..lol
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 01:15 AM
Susquehanna sells the special H9 connectors. Sylvania does not make SilverStars. They are unneeded anyway, if you want more blue, bend the shields.

Since you cant get SilverStars, that will mean that you will just *have* to get HID.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 01:26 AM
Susquehanna sells the special H9 connectors. Sylvania does not make SilverStars. They are unneeded anyway, if you want more blue, bend the shields.

Since you cant get SilverStars, that will mean that you will just *have* to get HID.

how would I "bend" the shields? plus what would be needed to connect on the special H9 connectors?
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 02:08 AM
how would I "bend" the shields? plus what would be needed to connect on the special H9 connectors?

Take the front cover off (the black piece) its held on by, IIRC, philips screws. With that out of the way you will see the cutoff shield, push it in about 1mm. No need to loosen anything. Power up the lamp with the cover off and check your results. Push it too far and your cutoff will get fuzzy, if that happens you have gone too far.

Ive done this on my E-codes and have done the opposite on my DOT lamps. Good results both times.

As for the H9 connectors, remove your old sockets and connect the new ones on. Quite simple, as long as you bought them when you bought your lamps. A temporary fix would be some small spade connectors but I wouldnt leave it that way because corossion would eventually occur.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 02:26 AM
btw the dist for depo. said that some were bad, and some where good but there is no way of telling which is and which isn't until installed. Since i just bought a 99 svt I am gonna just get a refund and try again later. I could use the extra $220 right now.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 02:56 AM
btw the dist for depo. said that some were bad, and some where good but there is no way of telling which is and which isn't until installed. Since i just bought a 99 svt I am gonna just get a refund and try again later. I could use the extra $220 right now.

yupp..thats what he told me too, thankfully my 4th pair that I got from him fit..kinda..the passenger side fit perfectly, the driverside stuck out, but only a little. Congrads on the new SVT though, use the 220 towards projectors
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 06:55 AM
Sylvania does not make SilverStars.

Then who does?

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/default.htm
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Kane:

Then who does?

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/default.htm

he meant H9 silverstars
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Kane:

Then who does?

he meant H9 silverstars

Oh... I get it now, thought he was sayin they don't make them at all.
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 07:57 AM
Okay, okay, my turn!

As Jon pointed out, the H7's are a better choice than H9's. Had I known that back then (over a year ago), I would've ordered H7's. My friend with a WRX has a Prodrive headlight conversion with H7 projectors, and the cutoff is so much sharper, and the light seems brighter (on the road)than on my H9's.

With that said, I installed both low beam H9 projectors and high beam H9 reflectors. I had to separate the lenses from the rear housings, and then cut up the rear housings to get the modules to sit just how I wanted them. I truly almost gave up a couple of times, but Jon kept me going. Here are the pictures I have on my little web area.

As you can see, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to mount these suckers! I was on PM a lot with Jon about how to do "this and that." I even saved an email that I created which generalized the installation of these lights.

Quote:

Generic instructions:
1) Split the housing anyway you can. If you can heat them up in a oven at a low temp and soften the glue, that's the best way to do so. Other than that, you'll have to cut them on the seam.

2) Get four lights from a place that you want them from. Mine came from Susquehana Motorsports. www.rallylights.com
You will need two low beam projectors and two high beam reflectors, four H9 plugs, and I don't remember if I needed bulbs or not, but if they don't come with bulbs, four H9 bulbs.

3) You'll need to figure out how to mount the bulbs to the back of the housing, I drilled the three necessary holes for the Hella adjusters per the instructions. You'll need to be creative here in mounting the lights, and you'll have to be creative in cutting the rear of the housing in order to clear the rear of the lights. Also, when you mount the lights, make sure you mount them "correctly" because if you don't, the cutoffs for the low beams will not be level. Look at my little use of webspace http://groups.msn.com/contourstuff and look in the SVT Contour photo album for pictures of my headlights. The pictures are somewhere in the middle.

4) I obtained a pair of carbon fiber "license plates" from a friend who makes CF things. I cut those down for plates to cover up the adjusters.

5) Before you seal everything back up, you have to level the lights. Look to the internet and search for a "how to" on leveling the lights.

I had to purchase rubber caps for drainage pipes and modify them to create a seal between the rear of the housing and the rears of the H9 modules. I gutted the lights completely (removed the original, stock reflectors and all related hardware). I used rubber plugs and black silicon everywhere I thought I could, trying to plug and cover any hole left over from removing the old hardware. It stayed dry for the first year, but I now get leaking/fogging when it rains out. It takes a good day or two for the lights to air out once the weather dries. I used carbon fiber plates to hide the mounting hardware, but did not use carbon fiber to mount the lights. I just drilled the appropriate holes and JB Welded the mounts onto the housings. If needed, I can still completely adjust the aim using the Hella supplied adjusters, the lights just have to come forward to do so. Was it a pain in the A55? Yes! Was it worth it? Yes. Would I do it again? Only for myself, and then mod them to accept HID's (which I may do with these).

Swazo's setup is just like Skrillas. You could probably install them from behind without ever having to seperate the clear lens from the reflector assembly. Dion installed both lowbeams and highbeams onto a carbon fiber backing plate for his (looks very hot). Josch put OEM HID (A6, IIRC) into his pre-98 housings and had to clear the lens out so the fluting wouldnt throw the light everywhere. Mine are installed into modded OEM lenses. To my knowledge, I am the only one (Contour/Mystique) who has the Hellas exposed to the elements. If you want to talk to either Swazo or Dion they are in Utah or So.Cal. Milan doesnt hang around here anymore, and I doubt he would help the CEG community with this info.

If you are looking for a place to buy the projectors, 90mm DOT Hellas, the most common lamp, they even have a matching foggie. 120mm DOT lamp, this is what, IIRC, Milan used in his personal setup. P.U.M.A. doesnt list their Hellas on their website, but you can get the 90mm ECE lamps, and most likely the 120mm ECE units from them. Having gone through two sets of DOT 90mm pieces, and one set of ECE 90mm lamps, IMHO, the ECE pieces are the way to go for our cars, 98+ included. The beam pattern in tighter and the cutoff is razor sharp. Both the ECE and DOT versions will (should have) a new, flat cutoff shield created when they have HID installed.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 08:07 AM
Dion

I love you

thats my instruction manual
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 08:20 AM
Recheck it, as I made some adjustments and edited it a little.

And don't let my wife find out about your feelings for me, as she will kick your ass!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 08:25 AM
Originally posted by dion:
Okay, okay, my turn!

3) You'll need to figure out how to mount the bulbs to the back of the housing, I drilled the three necessary holes for the Hella adjusters per the instructions. You'll need to be creative hear in mounting the lights, and you'll have to be creative in cutting the rear of the housing in order to clear the rear of the lights. Also, when you mount hte lights, make sure you mount them "correctly" because if you don't, the cutoffs for the low beams will be be level. Look at my little use of webspace http://groups.msn.com/contourstuff and look in the SVT Contour photo album for pictures of my headlights. The pictures are somewhere in the middle.

I didnt find the pics
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 08:29 AM
Recheck it, as I made some adjustments and edited it a little

the problem with my project is that I'm keeping the highs and only having projectors in the lows, I dunno how thats gonna work out cause you totally took off the reflectors
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 08:35 AM
Okay, okay, my turn!

3) You'll need to figure out how to mount the bulbs to the back of the housing, I drilled the three necessary holes for the Hella adjusters per the instructions. You'll need to be creative hear in mounting the lights, and you'll have to be creative in cutting the rear of the housing in order to clear the rear of the lights. Also, when you mount hte lights, make sure you mount them "correctly" because if you don't, the cutoffs for the low beams will be be level. Look at my little use of webspace http://groups.msn.com/contourstuff and look in the SVT Contour photo album for pictures of my headlights. The pictures are somewhere in the middle.

I didnt find the pics

You have to click on "pictures" which is located on the left side of the screen. From there, scroll down to "SVT Contours" and click on that album.

As for keeping the stock highbeams, you'll have to follow Swazo's way of installing the Hella's rather than mine. I wanted to do both because the Hella highbeams just completely blow away the stock highbeams.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 09:22 AM
k got it, thanks!
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 03:06 PM
the problem with my project is that I'm keeping the highs and only having projectors in the lows, I dunno how thats gonna work out cause you totally took off the reflectors

Then look into mounting the projector into the reflector area of the lowbeam. You would have to aim the lights once without having the covers on, and you would have to aim your highbeams and correct the lowbeams to that (assuming you are able to keep the stock aiming mechanism).

I really need to get me a 98+ lamp to mess around with so I can say what will and wont work at lot easier.

And Dion, I found out about the H7s when a rock took out one of my H9s last winter. I was just curious and wanted to see that the ECE pattern was like, gave up the extra cash and was pleasantly suprised. They can be changed later as they have the same footprint (adjuster mounts) as the H9s. I popped the old ones off and the new ones went on.
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 05:04 PM
nice pics dion, As others are saying i really need to get these done now.
Posted By: louisw_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 07:22 PM
a modified license plate cover.. genius. I was stuck in the planning stage for a long time because I couldn't figure out a way to hide all that hardware. I'll have to revisit this again when I have $$
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/16/05 07:54 PM
I finally have enough info to do some HIDs and projectors!!

I've found so much mixed info in the past, incomplete how-to's, and search nazis saying nothing but "search" as a response when I ask about them. Dion is the man!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 03:11 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

I've found so much mixed info in the past, incomplete how-to's, and search nazis saying nothing but "search" as a response when I ask about them. Dion is the man!

do it up dude..we can maybe work together on this since we are kinda in the same area
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 05:06 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

do it up dude..we can maybe work together on this since we are kinda in the same area

Sounds like a plan. Time for me to start gettin some funds together though.
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 05:28 AM
For what its worth, I am getting a phillips 4100k kit over spring break and really thinking of installing projectors as well. I have an extra set of headlights sitting around =)

If I can figure out exactly what projectors and what is including with the kit I am getting (buying it from a friend for a really good price) I'll help put together a how-to as well.
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 07:28 AM
For what its worth, I am getting a phillips 4100k kit over spring break and really thinking of installing projectors as well. I have an extra set of headlights sitting around =)

If I can figure out exactly what projectors and what is including with the kit I am getting (buying it from a friend for a really good price) I'll help put together a how-to as well.

WERD!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 02:45 PM

yupp..Phillips 4100k is the way to go!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 05:18 PM
GREATTT!!!

I cant buy projectors cause an un-expected espense has come up yet AGAIN!! yepp INSURANCE! I hate this Projectors are gonna hafta wait till spring break since school starts next week

I was gonna get my projectors like tommorow too in the mail..gonna have to return them
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 09:31 PM
Tip of the cap to all you guys who've made your own projectors, nice job
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 09:43 PM

This could be helpful. Hopefully they arent rebased bulbs, as that would just add time to your project.

Click Me!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 01/17/05 10:02 PM

This could be helpful. Hopefully they arent rebased bulbs, as that would just add time to your project.

Click Me!

that was very usefull as well! thanks!
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 02/16/05 07:10 PM
Just to let everyone know, I am here and more than happy to help anybody with their projector mods. Please post any questions here or PM me. Thanks.

-Milan
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 02/16/05 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
Just to let everyone know, I am here and more than happy to help anybody with their projector mods. Please post any questions here or PM me. Thanks.

-Milan

yay!!

your finally here!! you'll be getting a lot of pm's in the summer from me
Posted By: auiotour Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 02/18/05 12:01 AM

-Milan

yay!!

your finally here!! you'll be getting a lot of pm's in the summer from me

haha when i get back from SZ05, Quad projectors with hids is my goal! But right now, i wanna fix the charged for sz05.
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 02/18/05 05:11 AM
It has been suggested that the H7 is a superior projector. This is not entirely true.

What makes the H7 projector good is that it has Euro spec regulations on it. What this means is that you get a crystal clear optical lens, projecting more light with a razor sharp cut-off beam.

The H9 Projector is better designed and it actually has A BIGGER REFLECTIVE area to compensate for the ribbed lense that it has. This is US DOT bull.

Now, the best combo is to have the H9 projector fitted with a lens that comes with an H7 projector. You get the most light, and the cut-off is razor sharp. That is what I have on my car.

Take a look:

Of course I also did modify the cut-off shields too...

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 02/18/05 05:25 AM
we had the new Lexus RX330 as a loaner once and the cutoff on that was sooooo sharp on the road, you can see where it was totally dark ahead and then suddenly light, it was unbelievable! Not even our ES has that sharp of a cutoff, I dont even think it has a cutoff

so the 90mm projectors that hella sells, those hold H7's I believe, anyway u can put an H9 to make it better or it would require major modifying??
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 02/18/05 06:24 AM
No my friend. They make both H7 and H9 projectors and their designs are totally different inside out... But the front lense is the same.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 02/18/05 06:28 AM
No my friend. They make both H7 and H9 projectors and their designs are totally different inside out... But the front lense is the same.

oh ok, I just checked and the projecters by Hella are H9's.
Posted By: vpogv Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 07/23/05 04:51 PM
Okay, okay, my turn!

As Jon pointed out, the H7's are a better choice than H9's. Had I known that back then (over a year ago), I would've ordered H7's.

Bringing this back from the dead - are the H7's worth the extra ~$100 or so for both the left and right side low beams? Looking through rallylights.com (http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp) there are the low beam lamps with H9 bulbs for $59 or H7 equipt lamps for $112.

Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 07/23/05 09:10 PM
If you want the H9s, try http://www.puma-access.com/ call them up and ask for prices on the H9 Hella projectors...last time I called they told me like ~ $85ish I believe.
Posted By: vpogv Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 07/24/05 12:20 AM
Originally posted by amarv12:
If you want the H9s, try http://www.puma-access.com/ call them up and ask for prices on the H9 Hella projectors...last time I called they told me like ~ $85ish I believe.

Is that for both housings? If not then the $56 from rallylights.com is a better deal.
Posted By: OB1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 07/24/05 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Digital Slacker:

That is just so beautiful!

I've got to have some!
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 07/24/05 01:47 AM
H9 Projectors are better designed so I recommend you go for them.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 07/24/05 04:38 AM
Originally posted by vpogv:
Originally posted by amarv12:

Is that for both housings? If not then the $56 from rallylights.com is a better deal.

My bad, I meant H7. That's the price for one.
Posted By: Strictlyfocused7 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 08/26/05 01:45 PM
What we need is to get somebody to do some plasitic molding so we can get these headlights made for the contour and paint match them to the body, that would be sweet
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 08/26/05 02:44 PM
If those are the Ebay specials don't bother. Hector tried and IMO the light output was horribley scattered.

Check out the group buy section for the Morrettes, I think you'll be very very pleased....

"]Milans Sexy HID Projectors With Halos video
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 08/26/05 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Strictlyfocused7:
What we need is to get somebody to do some plasitic molding so we can get these headlights made for the contour and paint match them to the body, that would be sweet

Mikey Boys car...
Posted By: Strictlyfocused7 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 08/26/05 03:27 PM
how do i get my hands on some of those?
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 08/26/05 03:34 PM
There are many of us wanting to get our hands on those!

Morettes Check out that link for more info.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Projector Headlight Owners! - 04/14/06 03:12 PM
back on topic..last december I decided I wanted projectors and started researching different retrofit places. I came accross a sight www.hidtech.com and started talks with them about retrofitting projectors onto contour headlights, the labor/projectors totall were only $630..I sent my new OEM set to them and they got started on it..The projector we used was the Valeo becuase its one of the most colorful projectors out there..The project took 3 months, the whole headlight had to be re-chromed due to damaged while baking them. In the end the result was truely amazing and worth the 3 month wait..

© CEG Archives