Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: weasel Illuminated rear reflector - any successes ? - 10/18/04 05:23 AM
I searched and found a few people experimenting with led's and neon. Just wondering if anyone's complete their projects yet and how it looks. I always wondered why there was all that red plastic and none of it lights up. My dad's old '91 T-Bird was the same thing. What a waste ...
I've never had the reflector off, so I don't know if this would work or not, but I've always thought it would be a good idea to put Indiglo type paper beneath the clear reflector.
yeah that would be cool. except el glow paper is $$$$!!! maybe you could just put a few of those little while neon sticks at autozone behind there or something, im sure it would take some dremeling.

so do you want it like completly lit up all the time? or just dimly lit...?

its a reflector, it reflects the light from other cars!
I have one, but not in my possession. We are still trying to find a dual voltage power regulator for the neon. So the cars reflector functions like a Mark VIII.
I'd like it to light up as bright as the tail lights if possible. In all honesty, anything is better than having it completely dark ! I'd also like rear fogs, but that should be another post ....
Why the hell do you want rear fogs?

Most jags that i know of come with rear fogs standard, and they are friggin bright when you're driving behind them. You only need them if you live in really foggy places, or similar areas.

Don't be like the dumb MFers in the jags that keep them on all the time.

...Sure i've added upgraded fog lamps in the front; but only as an accent, and i have aimed them low as to not hinder any other drivers' vision.
do you just want the rear reflector to light up when you are braking? that would be sorta cool.
Originally posted by amarv12:

...Sure i've added upgraded fog lamps in the front; but only as an accent, and i have aimed them low as to not hinder any other drivers' vision.

fogs are SUPPOSED to be aimed at the ground.......
Originally posted by Lee:
I have one, but not in my possession. We are still trying to find a dual voltage power regulator for the neon. So the cars reflector functions like a Mark VIII.

Oh, I like that. Please post results and if you think this is doable for less than 2 bills.
Having the third brake light would be interesting, if we could get it bright enough.

Reason I want rear fogs ? I live near a river and it gets very foggy, that and the fact that winter is coming and I'll have snow for about 4 months. I have them in my Jetta and if possible I'll put them in the Mystique as well. Unlike some, I am smart enough to know when to turn the switch off ...
I had an Opel GT when I was in the Army in Germany with one. It was on the left side and really came in handy when there was alot of fog. This was like 30 years ago so they're nothin new.
In my Jetta. all I had to do is drill out a hole for the bulb to fit and run the wire. I already had the socket and lens for it. It was nice that it was already integrated into the taillight lens. Too bad we didn't get the Mondeo taillights ...
it would defiantly look good if it looked like the Mark VIII. I think it would look even better it it worked as a 3rd break light too. Break lights going all the way acrss the back would be different plus there would be no chance of someone rearing you
oh it's possible. just not as likely...depending on whether the idiot behind you is actually watching the road
ofcourse, anyhting is possible (Murphy's Law) however it would be big upgrade in safety but most of all it would look really good. Give the car a more luxury appearance from the back, and why not, with items such as leather, powered seats, doors windows, etc. moonroof etc. the SVT is as much luxury as it is sporty. A great mod none the less.
So, can it be done, and for a reasonable cost?
Anyone own a Mark VIII or have a firend or know someone who owns one who will let you open it up and see how it is done...best bet of trying to figure out how to run it in our tours.
Originally posted by chill1110:
ofcourse, anyhting is possible (Murphy's Law) however it would be big upgrade in safety but most of all it would look really good. Give the car a more luxury appearance from the back, and why not, with items such as leather, powered seats, doors windows , etc. moonroof etc. the SVT is as much luxury as it is sporty. A great mod none the less.

I've never really thought of doors and windows as a luxury.
ha good 1
Anyone own a Mark VIII or have a firend or know someone who owns one who will let you open it up and see how it is done...best bet of trying to figure out how to run it in our tours.

IIRC The Mk VIII Uses FiberOptics....Dont Quote me...Could Be Wrong...But If Its Not That Is Definitely The Hottest Look For The Rear Reflector Someone FigureIt Out!!!
Chris Hightower looked into way long ago, the MK VIII piece is lit using Mercury Vapor, and i think he was going to attempt it or something or maybe ran into issues, i dunno i can't remember, perhaps search .
I saw a tour the other day which had been rear ended...
and the rear reflector was busted up,
looks like there is plenty of room.
Why not a sheet of EL GLo material? MIght be expensive though.
mecury vapor or El Glow paper sounds expensive....might be well worth it thought b/c i think this mod would look REALLY good.
mecury vapor or El Glow paper sounds expensive....might be well worth it thought b/c i think this mod would look REALLY good.

Mercury vapor was actually not bad. I think I got the thing made for $20. Getting a transformer for it is something I haven't looked into too much.
el glow paper is like $20 for like a index card size (i thought), and what is mercury vapor?

i saw this on a buick the other night, and i just had to drive behind the slow gramma to get a good look at what it looked like. also, it didnt light up when she stepped on the brakes, would you guys want it to? or just always stay dimly lit?
I was just thinking like a circuit board to fit just inside the reflector that had the entire surface covered in LEDs. Then just wire them in parallel and tap into the license plate lights and/or third break light (spoiler equiped) for the electric source.
If my wife leaves me the car tomorrow, I think I'll take the reflector off and see if I can think of something ... I wonder if one of those slim neon's or led light bars would project enough light ? If there's space to mount them at the bottom of the reflector and aim them up ...
Originally posted by Booger:
I was just thinking like a circuit board to fit just inside the reflector that had the entire surface covered in LEDs. Then just wire them in parallel and tap into the license plate lights and/or third break light (spoiler equiped) for the electric source.

that would be one hecka lotta leds! lol. it would look good though. could you make a circuit full of leds to make a brake light?
It just depends on what you wire them to. I don't know if you can vary the output of them by varying current or volts, but if so, wire them to both the 3rd and tails and have them run and get brighter with the brakes.
i think it would definatly look good working as a 3rd break light as well as lit dim for parking lights so it would match the rear tails. IMHO i think this is the only way to go. In fact, if this becomes a reality, I might think of disconnecting the stock 3rd break light and only use the rear reflector as the 3rd. Having both the factory 3rd and the reflector all lighting up at the same time might take away from the asthetics of the mod (i.e. too many breaklights). Someone needs to figure it out though b/c it would make the back of our cars look really good.
There is a picture out there somewhere that has the reflector reflecting back from the flash of the camera. If you could get your car like that... I would be amazed!!!

Steve
talk to auiotour (sp) see what kind of leds you could use to give off a bright light with a large area.
About the rear fogs, i did put in a rear fog light in the left rear light housing. There is enought room there to run another bulb ( a 1157 with a single fillament). Just dremel a hole on the inside, vacum out the plastic pieces, and stick a bulb on there in a 2 wire hook up bulb holder ( i bought a GM one from Autozone for like $3 bucks, a Ford one was a bit more expesive and they were out of stock of that one at the time anyway). I ran the wires throught the left side of the backseat and tucked them under the side plastic that runs along the side doors and ran it to a cheap 3 prong switch underneath the radio. There is a pick of it lit up compared to the right side on my profile. Let me know if you need help.
I was thinkin about doin this when I seen on cardomain.com that people were painting over the reflector or getting rid of them I really don't like that idea as much as the lights I think a brake light would look cool too and put the neon stick lights on them I did think of that too I bet it could be done I'll do some tinkering I got a spare trunk lid I could probably look at, and hey leave the stock one in the back window....you can never have to many brake lights.
Since fst4dr put a pre98 trunk lid on my car, I've wanted to make the reflector part around the reverse lights light up with LED's... I can get the resistors for the huge number of LEDs it will take, but the actual wiring will suck (but hey, I can probly work on it while I'm at work... we do fire/security alarms, so we have a TON of small electronic parts lying around).

I was thinking of hooking them up to the regular fog light switch, so whenever needed, both are on 1 switch (plus it'll make it look sorta factory).

Someday I can do this... maybe it can be done before I redo my plans for the computer, more than likely cheaper...

Something I was thinkin about for the post98's... were you guys talking about the small push in bulbs (like what light up the footwells on ours and most sidemarker lights on others), or full size bulbs like turn signals?

I think using a small bulb with the twist in housing (like they use for side markers on most GM's) would work well as long as you have clearance. It would end up something like a Buick rear end (with a zillion bulbs), but shouldn't be too hard.
Maybe design a whole new refelector that would spread out the light more, then you could put 5 or 6 footwell lights behind it. You have to have a way to mold plastic though.
© CEG Archives