Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Doug Christman For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/05/03 04:49 PM
Me and the g/f will be spending the 17-19 of this month in Chicago. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Chicago-City Center. Which is two blocks from Michigan Ave. and 4 blocks from Navy Pier.

So I figured I should ask you guys what are the must see places around the city? I havent actually been to chicago since I was little, only driven around it. And my g/f has never been there. So I am kind of clueless on what to do and where to go.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Doug C.
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/05/03 06:43 PM
If that's the one I think it is, its right at the fork of the Chicago river... so look forward to some great views out your window (if you're on the right side of the building)... just a few blocks away from there on Wells St. (dont' remember the cross though) is Ed DeBevics... its a 50's themed restaurant... good food and fun atmosphere, you should check it out. Also at Sedgwick and North, there is a bar called the Twin Anchors that will have some of the best ribs you've ever tried. I personally think Navy Pier is overrated, but i'm not in to knick knacky stuff. Try and take a riverboat cruise if the weather is nice. Leave from one of the places in town on the river, not from navy pier, and they'll take you down the river through town, out on Lake Michigan for a skyline tour, and then back. It was a lot of fun when i did it. Shedd Aquarium is fun too, or the Museum of Science and Industry down by Hyde Park/U Chicago. Oh yeah- go check out Cabrini Green!!! You'll love it!!
Posted By: Doug Christman Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/05/03 09:36 PM
Hopefully my room has a good view its a executive king not a standard. What is Cabrini green a park? Thanks for the tips.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/05/03 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Doug Christman:
Hopefully my room has a good view its a executive king not a standard. What is Cabrini green a park? Thanks for the tips.

I guess you don't want this guy back in Wisconsin do you????

Posted By: ibub_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 12:22 AM

He should have told you to bring a kevlar vest for Cabrini Green. A good place to stay away from.

I recommend both the boat cruise someone else mentioned, and also a guided walking tour sponsored by Chicago Architectural Foundation. Hotel concierge will be able to help you. You're staying in a good area with many restaurants and much shopping a short walk away. If you want more info, pm me. I live only 2 miles from where you're staying.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 12:35 AM
Th Holiday Inn - is in the heart of the North Pier area, miles away from Cabrini Green (a housing project).

You can walk to numerous attractions from that hotel. Mich ave, Navy Pier, movies, restaurants, bars, shopping. Have a good time.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 12:40 AM
What is Cabrini green a park? Thanks for the tips.

I assume you are old enough to remember the show called "Good Times" it was set in cabrini green... if you go sout of comiskey park (yeah I know they changed the name) you are basicly in cabrini. so to answer your question it's the projects of chitown.

one of my room mate is from LA born and raised in the compton area and he won't go near cabrini
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 12:44 AM
"if you go sout of comiskey park (yeah I know they changed the name) you are basicly in cabrini"

Cabrini is actually on the North side, Division St and Halsted. Two miles west of the Lake.

South of Sox park is the Robert Taylor homes, which are nearly all torn down now.
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 02:31 AM
Cabrini Green isnt even that bad. Infact didnt they just tear it down? They are making it rich-town now. Earlier this year me and a bunch of buddies went through it about four times on a sunday night. Sure, I didnt make any full stops at the stop signs, but its not as bad as some neighborhoods. You want a rush? Drive by Cicero and Iowa.
Posted By: NITROS_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 03:35 AM
i dont know y u guys are complaing about cabrini green, i drove by there numerous times, all i heard is alot of shouting, it didnt seem nearly as bad as u guys are trying to discribe it. not 2 far away fromt here is a big ass mercedez dealer on division right next to the chicago river. and a street racign spot that is now closed, they put up concrete barriars to block the street. there no more street racing in chicago until new spots are found.
Posted By: m!key Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 03:39 AM
Originally posted by NITROS:
no more street racing in chicago until new spots are found.

yeah right.
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 04:28 AM
I can name a good few. PM me for some spots.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 05:14 AM
It doesnt seem to be as bad as it used to be. I pass it every once in awhile I I go that way to a bar. Theres quite a few drinking holes on Division and State.
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 05:16 AM
Originally posted by NITROS:
i dont know y u guys are complaing about cabrini green, i drove by there numerous times, all i heard is alot of shouting, it didnt seem nearly as bad as u guys are trying to discribe it. not 2 far away fromt here is a big ass mercedez dealer on division right next to the chicago river. and a street racign spot that is now closed, they put up concrete barriars to block the street. there no more street racing in chicago until new spots are found.

They hear stories. I've been there, its not the safest place in the world but if you mind your own business then you should be fine.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 04:11 PM
Cabrini is not that bad even at night...just don't do anything stupid.

Robert Taylor homes were bad. On some nights you could see lasers going from building to building. A lot of stuff went on there that you didn't hear on the news. That is a place you didn't want to drive through at night.
Posted By: Doug Christman Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/06/03 09:45 PM
Ok, thanks to the few of you that gave me advice. I am sure we will find something to keep us busy.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/07/03 07:18 AM
Ok, thanks to the few of you that gave me advice. I am sure we will find something to keep us busy.

Get a room!
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/07/03 03:59 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZ:
Get a room!

Yeah, just don't store the beer in there otherwise Steve, Hector, and Mikey will be there all night; trust me I know
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/07/03 05:07 PM
Originally posted by hetfield:
Get a room!

Yeah, just don't store the beer in there otherwise Steve, Hector, and Mikey will be there all night; trust me I know

Who Us?
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/07/03 06:15 PM
Originally posted by 2000GreenTour:
South of Sox park is the Robert Taylor homes, which are nearly all torn down now.

They are?? Wow... its been a while since i've driven in that way, apparently...i don't remember that!
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/07/03 06:18 PM
Cabrini is not that bad even at night...just don't do anything stupid.

Robert Taylor homes were bad. On some nights you could see lasers going from building to building. A lot of stuff went on there that you didn't hear on the news. That is a place you didn't want to drive through at night.

Lasers?? For what?? my favorite part of the Taylor homes were the fire charred bricks outside the windows that they hadn't bothered to clean up or even renovate the rooms.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/07/03 06:52 PM
Originally posted by bk4293:
Get a room!

Who Us?

Especially you!

Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/07/03 10:32 PM
Get a room!

Who Us?

Especially you!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA damn I missed tht for work [censored] man that sux azz. There must be a next timme for sure.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/08/03 05:00 AM
Get a room!

Who Us?

I don't know what your talking about.
Posted By: ibub_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/08/03 05:32 PM
anyway, regardless how much those areas have "improved", it's not a good idea for visitors who are not familiar with the ways in and out of the area to be there. As someone else said, there's tons of stuff that happens that doesn't make the news. I have a good friend who's a CHA cop, so any time you want stories............
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/08/03 05:59 PM
Originally posted by ibub:
anyway, regardless how much those areas have "improved", it's not a good idea for visitors who are not familiar with the ways in and out of the area to be there. As someone else said, there's tons of stuff that happens that doesn't make the news. I have a good friend who's a CHA cop, so any time you want stories............

My best friend's father is a firefighter stationed right in the middle of where the Robert Taylor homes were...talk about an adventure going up there.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/09/03 03:43 AM

Steve, isn't your head supposed to be ON the pillow?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/09/03 05:28 AM
Originally posted by LoCoChick:

Posted By: Doug Christman Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/09/03 10:08 PM
You know what I just thought. If the Cub's go to the world series, Chicago's going to be crazy for the weekend I am staying there(17-19) Traffic is going to be a mess.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/10/03 07:15 AM
Originally posted by LoCoChick:

Depends on how much you had to drink I guess.
Posted By: GnuLoCo_dup1 Re: For all you Chi-town ceger's - 10/13/03 01:24 PM
He should have told you to bring a kevlar vest for Cabrini Green.

LMAO, yea, Cabrini Green is synonymous with the phrase "kill whitey".

[GnuLoCo]
© CEG Archives