Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SHOgoFast Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/10/05 08:02 PM
Just got me a stock y-pipe that needs some optimization. Anyone have it done by a shop in west chicago or know someone with the ability to do so. I will be asking various muffler shops what they can do and at what cost, but thought I would ask the masses as well. I seem to feel more comfortable with referrals.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 02:04 PM
Just need a die grinder to grind down the wall.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 02:18 PM
Originally posted by SHOgoFast:
Just got me a stock y-pipe that needs some optimization. Anyone have it done by a shop in west chicago or know someone with the ability to do so. I will be asking various muffler shops what they can do and at what cost, but thought I would ask the masses as well. I seem to feel more comfortable with referrals.

I've done 5 of them, and i'ld put them up against anything you can buy in a heartbeat as far as flow is considdered .They don't look bad either. I have them ceraqmic coated as well when they're done
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 02:50 PM
Originally posted by pole120:

I've done 5 of them, and i'ld put them up against anything you can buy in a heartbeat as far as flow is considdered .They don't look bad either. I have them ceraqmic coated as well when they're done

I'll take that bet. Someone bring a car with a stock y-pipe with a 3 bolt flange and I'll hog the one I have out. If it makes 10hp with the optimized then you can have you're win. My car made 10hp with a SHOShop y-pipe with hi-flow cat.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 03:27 PM
Cmon now...thats not a fair comparisin (as if anything is). But an optomized y with stock 60k mile cat vs a sho y pipe with a NEW high flow cat. Thats comparing a car on wheels to another w/out. 10 HP is a nice gain too, but consider if your cat was clogged or crap before hand if it was robbing power from you...you could say a new cat got you up to par (where you should be) and the y pipe only gave you 5-6HP. I'm not saying all this applies to you, but its a lot more than this vs this.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 03:57 PM
Originally posted by todras:
My car made 10hp with a SHOShop y-pipe with hi-flow cat.

Thats kinda crapy for a 3L...shouldn't you be closer to 200 hp?

All joking aside, I think the key word in your statement is "high flow cat". Not to mention a sho-shop pipe can't be had any mroe unless you manage to come accross one on e-bay or something. I would love to flow test one of mine against an MSDS or WR because i HONESTLY think i'll out-do them both.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 04:02 PM
With that craptastic bend in the factory y-pipe no way in hell that a stock y-pipe is going to outflow a mandrel bent aftermarket y-pipe. You're on crack.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 04:12 PM
I would love to flow test one of mine against an MSDS or WR because i HONESTLY think i'll out-do them both.

I reworded my challenge just for you Todd...

Can't we all just get a bong....er along, yeah that's it, along
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 04:30 PM

Not when people make claims of grinding down a wall on the stock y-pipe being better than an aftermarket y. I'd bet the POS MSDS will even out flow it.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 04:39 PM

Not when people make claims of grinding down a wall on the stock y-pipe being better than an aftermarket y. I'd bet the POS MSDS will even out flow it.

I don't grind down...i re-build the whole section where the two pipes come together into a smooth free-flowing collector.

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 04:44 PM

I don't grind down...i re-build the whole section where the two pipes come together into a smooth free-flowing collector.

Well you didn't state that now did you? That's just a wee bit different.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 04:47 PM

Well you didn't state that now did you? That's just a wee bit different.

Thats why i put up the challenge you crazy bird, ask anyone who knows me, i do NOTHING half-assed.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 06:26 PM

Thats why i put up the challenge you crazy bird, ask anyone who knows me, i do NOTHING half-assed.

That isn't what you're girlfriend said. Dayum!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 06:34 PM
Originally posted by hetfield:

That isn't what you're girlfriend said. Dayum!

You're girlfriend would disagree. Dayum!
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/12/05 11:57 PM
Hey pole, I've got an extra y-pipe if you have an extra minute (:D) and want to optomize it for me...
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/13/05 12:25 AM
I have so much other [censored] goin on right now i barely have time to get laid.....when things calm down i'ld be more than happy to help you out man.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/13/05 12:54 AM
no time to get laid!? Oh damn man, that almost brings a tear to my eye. hehe. Anyways, good luck gettin all your [censored] straightened out. Stress = sucks.
Posted By: J3SVT Re: Y-Pipe Optimization - 12/15/05 12:58 AM

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=27

I'd be happy to get an optimization from you too pole. i'll have to keep in touch with your girlfriend to find out when you're not so busy doing other things.
© CEG Archives