Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: path914 Yet another audio idiot question - 12/04/03 04:01 PM
Do I need a 4 channel RCA cable for my amp if I'm bridging it into 2 channels? About to order a wiring kit and I wanted to make sure beforehand.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/04/03 11:23 PM
I was trying to figure out what happens to the left/right channels when you bridge a 2-channel amp to drive a subwoofer. It turns out that it combines them internally.

Here's what the manual for one amplifier says:

The California amplifiers are capable of being bridged in a mono configuration. This feature
allows you the flexibility of using the amplifier to drive a ** subwoofer or a center channel. In
this configuration the amplifier sums the right and left channel to deliver one channel (mono)
output.
Please note: in order for the amplifier to sum right and left signal information, both right and
left RCA connections must be made.

-------

That leads me to believe that you must use a Y-cable to feed the audio into both the left and right channels of the bridged amplifier.
Posted By: jisturm Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/04/03 11:27 PM
If you get a 4 channel and plan to run it in two channel mode all you have to do is get a set of RCA plitters or Y cables. Run it to the amp. It also depends on your amp too. I have a Cadence that can take the two inputs and make the amp run at a 4 channel operation.
Posted By: contouranado Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 06:00 AM
i dunno. it would seem to me you would have to run to sets of rca's or the 4 channel rca's like you said.
Posted By: path914 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 06:08 AM
All right, my understanding is that I need a 4 channel RCA from the hu to the amp, then a single speaker wire set to each crossover, then two speaker wire sets from each crossover to the tweet and driver. Sound about right?
Posted By: cthomp21 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 01:01 PM
Order a pair of these. Run a single patch cable and split it at the amp. No need to run two patch cables since you're running it bridged.

Posted By: path914 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 03:37 PM
Wouldn't this work? Seems like a cleaner way than having a couple of y-splits.

Posted By: nando1856 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 04:03 PM
How many preamp outputs does your HU have? If it only has 1 pair then you are wasting your money getting 2 pairs of RCAs, you will not be able to plug one of the pairs in. If you have 2 pairs of outputs then you might want to run the two pairs of RCAs just so you have flexability in the future in case you want to eventually run 1 pair of speakers and a sub or 2 pairs of speakers. If you want to be cheap, just get one pair of RCAs and split them at the end.
Posted By: path914 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 04:22 PM
My HU has four outputs so thats not a problem (an unexpected benefit of getting this HU instead of the SH707 that I was originally planning on). I don't really have any intentions of getting a sub or running the rear speakers on anything but the HU, so I think I'll be fine. If I do get a sub at some point then I could just take two of the four RCA inputs and run them over to the sub amp. As far as cost, I don't think one RCA and two splitters would be any cheaper than one 4 channel RCA cable.

I think my original question has been answered, I need to have 4 RCA inputs regardless of how I go about it. Thanks guys for all the help!
Posted By: cthomp21 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 06:23 PM
Originally posted by path914:

If you could hear a difference, then you should be signing up for RC's $10,000 amp challenge and prepare to collect.

It would be a little more asthetically pleasing, tho.
Posted By: path914 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 06:48 PM
Originally posted by cthomp21:

If you could hear a difference, then you should be signing up for RC's $10,000 amp challenge and prepare to collect.

It would be a little more asthetically pleasing, tho.

I only meant looks and installation-wise, I doubt I could tell the difference between any of the different cables
Posted By: cthomp21 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 09:48 PM
Quote:

I only meant looks and installation-wise, I doubt I could tell the difference between any of the different cables

Yeah, I figured. I was just thinking of ways to get 10 grand....
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/05/03 09:51 PM
Are those even shielded?

If not, one could make their own with Cat5 patch cable...and the twists on Cat5 are a lot tighter than what that picture shows.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/06/03 05:25 AM
those r knukonceptz rcas and i'm pretty sure they r shielded.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/07/03 04:58 AM
They don't look shielded, with the blue and silver wires twisted around each other like that....
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/07/03 07:45 AM
now u got me double thinking
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/07/03 11:20 AM
Umm... you won't really have to worry too much about shielding and whatnot. To be honest, you won't be able to tell the difference in sound with Radio Shack RCA's and expensive super twisted, silver lined, gold plated, ultra-mega-alpha-beta-gamma wave resistant RCA's. Just go with what you want to spend, and if you want it to look Golden.. or plain.

Ren
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/07/03 02:07 PM
I still want to know how Cat5 cable sounds
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/07/03 03:38 PM
It sounds like all other copper.

Seriously, you can make some nice cheap patch cable with cat5.
Posted By: nando1856 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/07/03 11:16 PM
Originally posted by dbzjr:
Umm... you won't really have to worry too much about shielding and whatnot. To be honest, you won't be able to tell the difference in sound with Radio Shack RCA's and expensive super twisted, silver lined, gold plated, ultra-mega-alpha-beta-gamma wave resistant RCA's. Just go with what you want to spend, and if you want it to look Golden.. or plain.

Ren

You can definitely tell the difference between cheap RCAs and the more expensive ones. I've tested it myself. One time I compared some RCA brand RCAs that I got at wal-mart to some RF white wolf RCAs on my house sub. The difference was incredible. It felt like the sub put out like 50% more power. I've also done some other similar comparisons before and I can always tell the difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones.
Posted By: cthomp21 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/08/03 02:20 AM
Originally posted by nando1856:

Ren

You can definitely tell the difference between cheap RCAs and the more expensive ones. I've tested it myself. One time I compared some RCA brand RCAs that I got at wal-mart to some RF white wolf RCAs on my house sub. The difference was incredible. It felt like the sub put out like 50% more power. I've also done some other similar comparisons before and I can always tell the difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones.

You should give Richard Clark a call and set up an appointment to win $10,000.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/08/03 04:06 AM

Ren

As long as you think you can hear a difference, more power to you. Spend all the extra money you want. I will take inexpensive wire and have equal sound.
Posted By: devonb_37 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/08/03 05:30 AM
I'm all for cheap Radio Shack wire. I can't afford drivers that would make a difference apparent. Maybe if I had 10,000 dollars for a custom setup...
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/08/03 01:57 PM
Originally posted by devonb_37:
I'm all for cheap Radio Shack wire. I can't afford drivers that would make a difference apparent. Maybe if I had 10,000 dollars for a custom setup...

You would still be wasting your time. I'm all for getting some good quality wires ( www.Knukonceptz.com ) but I see no reason to pay any kind of premium for sound. Pay a premium for pretty interconnects or better quality terminations, but keep in mind that the sound will be the same.

50% more power...

The sub put out 50% more power... LOL you iz the authority on audio shizzle
Posted By: devonb_37 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Honkeytonk Monkey:

The sub put out 50% more power... LOL you iz the authority on audio shizzle

What? I thought the sub powered the amp, which in turned created outstanding highs and mids through the HU. That's how it works isn't it guys...Guys?...Isn't it?
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 08:49 AM
Let's just say that the ears are playing tricks on those who can tell the difference
Posted By: contouranado Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 03:27 PM
difference in sound???? i highly doubt it. better cables may be more durable or be prettier or whatever. hell i doubt it but, maybe have a slightly cleaner signal, but i dont think it would be audible. but 50% more power????????????? i mean .... that's it???? man you gotta get better cables. ever since i picked up the knu konceptz, my pyramid amp actually really does put out 10,000,000,000,000 watts. see the rca's are the secret to car audio. it dont matter if your whole setup consists of pyramid and pyle, and it dont matter if everything was installed completely wrong, cus when you get good rca's everything sounds better. man now my roadgear subs hit harder than a 13w7. i also hit a 168 in lastyears dB drag. so don't delay get some new rca's today

this thread is called yet another audio idiot question, but it wasn't. it was actually a good question that deserved a good answer. but what it should be called is another good audio question with an another audio idiot answer. 50% more power???? i don't see how this could be true, maybe if your old cables were duds,like they were not making a tight connection and it was getting like half the signal or something, but i still cant see it making that big of a difference.and if this was the case that dosent mean every cheap set of cables is bad, you just got a faulty set

Posted By: path914 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 04:35 PM
All right, my understanding is that I need a 4 channel RCA from the hu to the amp, then a single speaker wire set to each crossover, then two speaker wire sets from each crossover to the tweet and driver. Sound about right?

Sorry to interrupt all the wonderful RCA talk , but can anyone give me a simple answer to my previous question. Thanks
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 04:36 PM
Maybe the sub used a DVC and only one was being used. Although, that would be 100% more power.
Posted By: 2G Sport_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 05:51 PM
Sorry to interrupt all the wonderful RCA talk , but can anyone give me a simple answer to my previous question. Thanks

OK. So you want to power front speakers with a bridged 4 channel amp, and power the rear speakers with the HU, right? No sub- yet.

The only reason you would want to use 2 pairs of RCA plugs instead of 2 Y adapters would be to retain the fader control on the HU, which would be pointless in this situation. IIRC a 4 channel amp is 1+2 and 3+4, so run a single pair of RCAs to the amp, use 1 Y on the right and connect to 1+2, use the other Y on the left and connect to 3+4.

However, if you decide to add a sub later and use 1+2 for L/R front speakers(not bridged) and 3+4 bridged for sub, I would add another pair of RCAs because your HU probably has a dedicated sub out. So, I guess to save time and money(if you plan to add a sub), you could run the 4 channel RCA wires you mentioned earlier in the thread from the front and rear outputs on the HU and connect both rights to 1+2 and lefts to 3+4. Does that help?

Right you are, but some crossovers allow each speaker to be amplified separately. Good luck!
Posted By: path914 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 06:36 PM
Originally posted by 2G Sport:
OK. So you want to power front speakers with a bridged 4 channel amp, and power the rear speakers with the HU, right? No sub- yet.

Yup, front drivers and tweeters off the amp and rear speakers off the HU

However, if you decide to add a sub later and use 1+2 for L/R front speakers(not bridged) and 3+4 bridged for sub, I would add another pair of RCAs because your HU probably has a dedicated sub out. So, I guess to save time and money(if you plan to add a sub), you could run the 4 channel RCA wires you mentioned earlier in the thread from the front and rear outputs on the HU and connect both rights to 1+2 and lefts to 3+4. Does that help?

I have no intention of getting a sub later, so that really isn't an issue. However, my HU does have a dedicated sub out, so if I changed my mind later, I would use that to connect to a seperate sub amp not affecting my other connections in any way.

Right you are, but some crossovers allow each speaker to be amplified separately. Good luck!

This wouldn't apply if I am bridging the amp so that one channel is going to each set of speakers, right?

Thanks for the informative response
Posted By: 2G Sport_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 07:00 PM
No, it wouldn't apply in your situation. Good luck. I bet you'll be wanting a small sub soon to compliment your components.
Posted By: path914 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/09/03 08:49 PM
You never know . I'm not really into the ground-shaking bass type of music, but then again six months ago I thought that replacing the door speakers and HU would be plenty, so...
Posted By: nando1856 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/10/03 04:22 PM
Originally posted by contouranado:

this thread is called yet another audio idiot question, but it wasn't. it was actually a good question that deserved a good answer. but what it should be called is another good audio question with an another audio idiot answer. 50% more power???? i don't see how this could be true, maybe if your old cables were duds,like they were not making a tight connection and it was getting like half the signal or something, but i still cant see it making that big of a difference.and if this was the case that dosent mean every cheap set of cables is bad, you just got a faulty set

I don't think you have the slightest clue of how the relation of increase in power to increase audible perception work to call this an idiot answer. If I was to increase the power of a 100w amp to 150w (50% increase) this would translate to a volume 1.75 decibels higher. This is an increase that is almost inaudible to the human ear. Your speaker will sound slightly louder and better. IT WILL NOT SOUND 50% LOUDER. This is what I meant by a 50% more power. If I would have said the sub was 50% louder which is what it seems like you though 50% more power means, this would require a lot more than a 50% increase in power.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/10/03 04:47 PM
Originally posted by contouranado:

I don't think you have the slightest clue of how the relation of increase in power to increase audible perception work to call this an idiot answer. If I was to increase the power of a 100w amp to 150w (50% increase) this would translate to a volume 1.75 decibels higher. This is an increase that is almost inaudible to the human ear. Your speaker will sound slightly louder and better. IT WILL NOT SOUND 50% LOUDER. This is what I meant by a 50% more power. If I would have said the sub was 50% louder which is what it seems like you though 50% more power means, this would require a lot more than a 50% increase in power.

Your post made it sound like wiring allowed you to extract more power out of your sub's amplifier. This is what humors people. Quality wires are nice to have to resist corroding and look nice, but the sonic benefits of a 2000.00 set of patch cables compared to a 15.00 set from Knukonceptz would be nil.

I will say this for the sake of all members. Get quality wires (quality, no expensive) that have nice terminations for longevity and to save equipment problems. I have seen cheap RCAs tear up the corresponding female plug on many electronics. Do NOT EVER spend anything more on wires because they will NOT change the sound. Especially speaker wires. Buy the proper guage and stop there.
Posted By: contouranado Re: Yet another audio idiot question - 12/11/03 07:14 AM
could you hear the difference between 100-150 watts? maybe/maybe not. but what about 300-450 watts(also 50%)?perhaps. i'm not going to argue that. but your statement was much much more incorrect. you said that different rca's made the sub "feel like it put out 50% more power."
now this is just my opinion but i think that the difference between 300 and 450 watts is much more audible than a different set of wires that do nothing but carry signal to an amp. oh and by the way an amplifier "puts out power" not a subwoofer.
© CEG Archives