Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 06:47 AM
Well, a day prior to the biggest car show in Western Canada, I went with my brother to the lake in his Contour. The car was all cleaned up and ready for the show, all it was missing was the Ascendant Audio Poly 6.5s that Canada Post lost in the mail. Other than that, everything, including a redone dash, the fiberglass enclosure I've been working on for over a year, my battery relocation and all my wiring were done, it all worked perfectly and everything looked perfect.

So I get home today and as I'm pulling into the lot I notice my car is sitting lobsided on two jacks and a wooden block. My Hotwheels Redline wheels are gone that I had already as much as sold to my friend, but they didn't stop there.

Everything that was in the hatch, including my battery is gone, all the amps, my sub and it's enclosure, the wires, the head unit, the speakers, and most of the wiring are gone. The alarm was obviously set off but once they got into the hatch and pulled the battery it was useless. I have no idea how the 50 appartments that overlook my car in the lot didn't notice it going off for as long as it did. The battery is a side post under the floor, it had to have been running for at least 5 minutes before they could have gotten at the post and even after that I built the hatch to only come apart in a certain order, it takes me over 15 minutes to do and I designed the damn thing. My keyfob had been vibrating on my coffee table so long it made it's way onto the floor.

They destroyed my switch panel prying it out and scratched up the dash trying to pop off the Autometer guages. They didn't get them out but they sure made a mess trying.

I think I said this before but I think I should have stuck to it. I'm done trying to have nice stuff, I take such good care of this car and worked so hard trying to make the stereo as good as I could, now it's all gone because someone else decided they wanted it. He'll probably get $300 for everything and buy crack with the money.

Anyways, this was the last time I took shots of everything long before it was finished. but after the battery had been moved. Since then I had the floor finished, one large flush piece with a view window of the fuse and distribution blocks as well as the battery and the amplifier under the enclosure. Also the enclosure was painted liquid grey with a carpet backing and underside. I was going to take pictures at the car show today but the car didn't make it there.

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 12:31 PM
Wow, sorry to see/hear that! Just one more reason why I hate people!

Mark
Posted By: MxRacer Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 12:39 PM
you're having all kinds of good luck, luke.

that friggin sucks. believe me when i say i know your pain. after having my ranger broken into twice in the same weekend, i won't ever build a nice system if i can't keep the car locked up in a garage.

i'm assuming all of this was insured?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 12:46 PM
Posted By: Pienstars Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 01:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad news. It really makes you feel like shat when you work so hard to put something nice together like that and then it's gone at the hands of some scum*$@.
Posted By: m4gician Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 01:47 PM
look at it this way, Karma will favour you someway or another you're just going to have to see it. Trust me, maybe it was for the best maybe those punks will get what they deserve. File a police report anyways and look out for someone with the same stuff as you on a focus. Sorry to hear about that, and well it looked like someone who knew what they were doing, try and see if you can find someone seeing who did it, or get a description...
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 02:23 PM
how did they get into the car? This happened in a parking lot in broad daylight?
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 04:59 PM
I don't even know you and I want to chop the hands off of whomever did this.
Didn't you post a while back about some scummer giving your car a little too much attention? It might have been someone else but it was definantly a focus.
I'm really sorry about this and I hope things get rectified.
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 05:30 PM
Happened Saturday night while I was at the lake. I called the cops right away and they went over the car. They told me the guys got in by popping the hatch lock somehow, the rubber surround on the lock is mangled so it makes sense. I still don't know how they figured out how to get the stuff out of the car.

I guess two other cars in the lot were broken into, a 2002 Civic SIR had it's 19" wheels stolen and a 2006 Civic Coupe had a set of 17s stolen. All our cars had alarms but we all live on the other side of the complex so they didnt hear anything.

Insurance will replace equipment, but does not factor in things like how long that took to build. The other thing is, my equipment is really old now, it works just fine, but it's value is nowhere near what it will cost to replace it all.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 05:34 PM
Pager alarm. Only way to fly.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Honkeytonk Monkey:
The other thing is, my equipment is really old now, it works just fine, but it's value is nowhere near what it will cost to replace it all.

Depends on your insurance company and if they take betterment. Most insurance companies will replace with like kind and quality which means you'll get the 2006 versions of what you had stolen no questions asked. Some companies WILL take into consideration customization and how long it takes to create. If it would take a shop 6 hours at $50 an hour and $50 materials to recreate your fiberglass box, you'll get $350 for your box.
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 06:39 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Pager alarm. Only way to fly.

Have one, the lake is 3 hours away so even if it was in range I'd be 3 hours late getting to the car.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear about the car, luke.

Just be glad you didn't have an antenna yet, or it would have been taken again.
Posted By: m4gician Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 09:57 PM
you're in SASKATOON? hrm there goes my 'gangsta' theory. You know what, it was probably someone close or someone you may know or have seen before. Okay because no one in their right mind would try that unless they knew intimate details..

aka. Where you were (were not), What was in the car, and how it was put in. I'm guessing you probably even spoke to at least one of these guys recently.

And remember what I said about Karma, it'll come back around so don't worry okay? You'll be fine, and once again I'm sorry to hear about that. I'd want all these dishonest people to be caught, charged and beaten ...
Posted By: gooserex Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/28/06 11:02 PM
Originally posted by m4gician:
you're in SASKATOON? hrm there goes my 'gangsta' theory. You know what, it was probably someone close or someone you may know or have seen before. Okay because no one in their right mind would try that unless they knew intimate details..

aka. Where you were (were not), What was in the car, and how it was put in. I'm guessing you probably even spoke to at least one of these guys recently.

And remember what I said about Karma, it'll come back around so don't worry okay? You'll be fine, and once again I'm sorry to hear about that. I'd want all these dishonest people to be caught, charged and beaten ...

First thing that caught my mind... thiefs rip sh*t out they don't remove things... Really sorry to hear about yer loss, I can only imagine what it feels like...
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/29/06 12:28 AM
You can't rip my stuff out, it's actually bolted together solid. They weren't exactly nice about getting the stuff out either, there was white chunks of the enclosure all over the hatch where they tried to get the enclosure past the amps, and there was broken pieces of wood as well.

I'm skeptical of whether they knew the car too, because anyone that's seen the car knows it has scissor doors, these guys bent the front fenders opening the doors, they didn't know they opened up.

The lot here should be secure, we have security drive through pretty frequently, our complex has over 600 appartments in it dozens of which face the lot. Very few spots are vacant meaning almost everyone in the complex works for a living. Also the ammount of modified cars in the lot suggest most of the people here would give a crap that a car alarm is blaring in the same lot as thier car. It's a simple case of "it's not my car I don't care" so nobody tried to stop it.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/29/06 12:34 AM
That sucks, Luke. If any of that hot merchandise makes it's way down here, I'll kill the sorry bastids selling it.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 08/29/06 01:40 AM
Sorry to see this Luke. I still feel the anger/pain when my car got broken into in MI 2 years ago.
Posted By: elraido Re: Got cleaned out :( - 09/01/06 05:55 AM
I don't mean to sound mean here or anything but what did you expect when you have that set up sitting in the hatch? Someone walking by can see it and easily get tempted. That is why I don't understand why people put all this money/time into a vehicle when it is most likly going to be stolen. I know it isn't YOUR fault that THOSE loosers stole it..but you have to take that into concideration when doing this stuff. If you look in my car, you see a set of JBL speakers in the rear dash and a Pioneer headunit (face removed in larger parking lots). That is it. I don't want anything sitting there that a thief might want to steal. I also know that you built it for show, but I would just suggest go with a quality system that you can hear and enjoy---systems should be heard not seen. And when I say heard, that should be only by the people in your car. Theifs also wait and see what car goes by with its speaker thumping, wait for it to park then steal like there is no tomorrow.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 09/01/06 07:35 PM
Originally posted by elraido:
I don't mean to sound mean here or anything but what did you expect when you have that set up sitting in the hatch? Someone walking by can see it and easily get tempted. That is why I don't understand why people put all this money/time into a vehicle when it is most likly going to be stolen. I know it isn't YOUR fault that THOSE loosers stole it..but you have to take that into concideration when doing this stuff. If you look in my car, you see a set of JBL speakers in the rear dash and a Pioneer headunit (face removed in larger parking lots). That is it. I don't want anything sitting there that a thief might want to steal. I also know that you built it for show, but I would just suggest go with a quality system that you can hear and enjoy---systems should be heard not seen. And when I say heard, that should be only by the people in your car. Theifs also wait and see what car goes by with its speaker thumping, wait for it to park then steal like there is no tomorrow.

Theres little you can do in life without risks. So what if the hobbies that some of us have run higher risks.. should we not do the things we love to do?
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Got cleaned out :( - 09/04/06 07:55 AM
Originally posted by elraido:
I don't mean to sound mean here or anything but what did you expect when you have that set up sitting in the hatch?

I expected to have a nice system I could enjoy both listening to and looking at at car shows. It's not like i drive into a 7-11 parking lot, open it up and tell everyone to come and see.

Aside from shows nobody can see a thing in the car, that's what the cover that goes over the hatch is for. People see even less walking by my car than they do walking by yours, nothing is visible from outside whatsoever. If there was a way I could hide the wheels when it's parked I would but that's just getting silly.
Posted By: Frosty Re: Got cleaned out :( - 09/04/06 10:51 PM
Wow, i just noticed this thread. I don't know you at all, but i'm sorry to hear that everything you put your time and talent into got ripped out/destroyed. That just really sucks. Glad to see you're covered though...at least you'll get something back. Good luck!

Kyle
Posted By: Rayn Re: Got cleaned out :( - 09/05/06 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Wow, sorry to see/hear that! Just one more reason why I hate people!

Mark

I second that! But add maybe "SPINELESS!!!" before the people...
Posted By: GS474 Re: Got cleaned out :( - 09/05/06 03:06 PM
well were i live you can't have nice things either
it pisses me off but unless you see it happen and walk up on the people and kick there ass theres not much you can do
© CEG Archives