Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Damien_dup1 too large gauge power cable - 08/25/06 08:06 PM
I have a fosgate 800a2 punch series, and have it installed with crappy 8 gauge power cable that was in the car when I bought it. I just got a brand new SVR 80-12 battery, 0 gauge cable platinum connectors, and a 140 amp circuit breaker for $100 from a friend at the audio store. Now I am wondering if it is possible to have too big of power cable?
Posted By: icysvt Re: too large gauge power cable - 08/25/06 08:29 PM
yes and no. IIRC those amps take up to 4ga wire. not too many amps will accept 0/1 or 2ga wire so you will prob have to reduce it with a distribution block of some sort near the amp.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: too large gauge power cable - 08/26/06 02:25 AM
Fosgate has warranty statements saying that a certain minimum wire gauge is required, It usually reflects the size opening on the wire terminal. I belive for yours it is 4ga. You won't be able to fit I/0 on your amp and it is overkill. But you can just cut some of the strands to make it fit, just make sure it doesnt spill over the terminal like a fat chick in tight pants and touch the RMS or ground.
Posted By: icysvt Re: too large gauge power cable - 08/26/06 02:37 AM
Originally posted by CarpePoon:
Fosgate has warranty statements saying that a certain minimum wire gauge is required, It usually reflects the size opening on the wire terminal. I belive for yours it is 4ga. You won't be able to fit I/0 on your amp and it is overkill. But you can just cut some of the strands to make it fit, just make sure it doesnt spill over the terminal like a fat chick in tight pants and touch the RMS or ground.

I would not recommend the cutting the strands they make an adapter that i think you set screw to the 1/0 and it has a solid bar end that is a 4ga size that would be the proper way to do that or a distribution block and if you went that route you could run an amp for your mids also if you ever felt like it!
© CEG Archives