Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: lizard too much bass? - 05/03/06 10:39 PM
i can actually say i have too much bass now from my recent setup.
it is an memphis mono block 1100rms amp hooked to a memphis MOJO 15" in a 4 cubic foot ported box. takes up the whole trunk but it sounds awesome untill your ears start to hurt.
Posted By: GreaseyMonkey Re: too much bass? - 05/04/06 02:13 PM
if that's the case, i've got some subs with a box for sale in the classifieds

wired in parallel for 2ohms to get 500w, they sound fantastic.
(that was the setup i had used with them for two years, and they still sound as good as day 1)
Posted By: G Stone Re: too much bass? - 05/05/06 04:23 AM
Too much bass?!? I've never heard of such a thing!! I'm kidding and I know what you are talking about. You might get used to it eventually if you want to keep the sub. Thats what happened to me at first, headaches for awhile and then I started getting more used to it aka deaf.
Posted By: batteredSVT Re: too much bass? - 05/05/06 01:47 PM
TOO MUCH BASS?
I dunno if you've ever had a setup that would actually pop the deck lid goin down the street. I set up a system in my brothers 03 Monte Carlo SS he used to have. two audiobahn 12" flameQ's two sony 1200 watt amps and the box was a ported with 1.5 ft^3 per chamber.

The subs were wired at 2 ohm to get 500 rms out of each amp and sub. When I was finished hooking these things up i sat in the back seat with the remote to tune it all in, about knocked the wind outta me. He had previously had me amp the in car speakers for good tonal quality and well we already planned on an insane bass set up. That is the remedey amp the highs and mids and your golden.

Oh and I am not kidding that the pressure in the trunk popped the deck lid. I had to get out after driving 2 miles down the road to shut it.

BTW the sub setup is for sale
Posted By: lizard Re: too much bass? - 05/05/06 08:47 PM
audiobahn lol
go research memphis 1100watts at 1 ohm
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: too much bass? - 05/05/06 10:22 PM
Too much bass is when your CD skips when the bass hits.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: too much bass? - 05/05/06 11:04 PM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:

That's why I love the flash memory in my HU. Rip a cd to the HU, then no more skipping!
Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: too much bass? - 05/06/06 02:53 AM

Re: too much bass?
#1232862 (Re: LocoGSR) 05/05/06 10:52 PM Edit Reply Quote

no that just means you have a crappy cd player.

143 spl single crossfire xt212 premade box < gapped the trunk. 15" woofer have bad sq.
^ sold it ^
ppi all the way!

Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: too much bass? - 05/06/06 02:55 AM
how the fu*k do you fit a four cubic foot ported box in your contour ? you must not have any trunk space.
whats the box tuned to ?
Posted By: G Stone Re: too much bass? - 05/06/06 06:02 AM

I hate that!
Posted By: Smorganin Re: too much bass? - 05/06/06 06:49 AM
Originally posted by 00SVTGA:

143 spl single crossfire xt212 premade box < gapped the trunk. 15" woofer have bad sq.
^ sold it ^
ppi all the way!

Real audio knowledge > j00

15's DON'T have bad SQ. I dare you to tell that to people that run IDMax, Adire Brahma/Tempest/Tumult, Elemental K/O/A flat cones, Phase Linear Aliante SI and LTD, Ascendant Audio Avalanche, PPI Pro, JBL GTi, Orion H2, JL 15w3, Resonant Engineering SX/XXX. Size has almost nothing to do with SQ. It's all in the install.

And as for me, the best I've seen is a 138 on a calibrated AC mic at 45 hertz. Single Digital Designs 9515d, single Lanzar Opti1000D ran @ 1 ohm, ported box tuned to 32 hertz. No electrical mods done. That's not bad for such a low tuned box.
Posted By: lizard Re: too much bass? - 05/07/06 04:57 PM
its a custom built box tuned for 35 herts(i beleive) and i have very little trunk left but who needs a trunk when you have a back seat
Posted By: batteredSVT Re: too much bass? - 05/08/06 01:46 PM
Originally posted by lizard:
audiobahn lol
go research memphis 1100watts at 1 ohm

According to my extensive research the flame q 12's spit the same rms values as the memphis 15 and at a measured 600 watts from each amp I'd say the setup has the same beef. BTW the audiobahn 15 has an option for 1300 rms or 2000 rms for slighty cheaper than the memphis. and the sony amps are stable for 1100 rms at 1 ohm. It could be loaded like that but even with a 1.5 farad cap the lights dim.
Posted By: SvtEdwardo420 Re: too much bass? - 05/08/06 02:09 PM
try 2 12" jbl gtis i havent heard anything louder in a street car that dosent go to competitions
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: too much bass? - 05/08/06 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Smorganin:
Originally posted by 00SVTGA:

^ sold it ^
ppi all the way!

Real audio knowledge > j00

15's DON'T have bad SQ. I dare you to tell that to people that run IDMax, Adire Brahma/Tempest/Tumult, Elemental K/O/A flat cones, Phase Linear Aliante SI and LTD, Ascendant Audio Avalanche, PPI Pro, JBL GTi, Orion H2, JL 15w3, Resonant Engineering SX/XXX. Size has almost nothing to do with SQ. It's all in the install.

And as for me, the best I've seen is a 138 on a calibrated AC mic at 45 hertz. Single Digital Designs 9515d, single Lanzar Opti1000D ran @ 1 ohm, ported box tuned to 32 hertz. No electrical mods done. That's not bad for such a low tuned box.

They don't have bad sound quality if you have they are good quality with lightweight cones and lots of power, or rather the appropriate design power.
Posted By: WhiteTour96 Re: too much bass? - 05/11/06 09:59 PM
Too much bass for me was when I rode in my friend's cousins Grand Prix GTP with 2 square Solo Baric subs and an 800w??? Rockford Amp. Felt like the entire car was falling apart :shocked:
Posted By: mvr Re: too much bass? - 05/12/06 01:17 AM
me and a bud installed one 10in pushin around 100 watts rms out of a old kicker amp over the weekend and its almost to much for me. im sure il get used to it and buy something better

btw the amp/sub/box was free
Posted By: CSVT.UA.SHO Re: too much bass? - 05/12/06 01:17 PM
a guy i knew at a local stereo shop here had a 93 volvo 240 wagon, with two TruBass 10"s on a 1200 watt Diamond Audio in slotted boxes. I think it is the loudest stereo I have heard so far.
Posted By: G Stone Re: too much bass? - 05/12/06 07:06 PM
There is a guy who lives in my home town who had a 90some Blazer with 6 or 8 12's I think and 4 amps. My friend was in there with him and he didn't even have it turned up all the way and it made it hard for him to breathe. So much pressure that is pushes down on your chest...nuts!

Another person I know had 2 Kenwood Twisters I think and blew the sunroof out of his Sunfire.
my brother had a tracer wagon with 2 12" Volfenhags and a Volfenhag 1600 watt amp. can you say back massage?

somewhat on original topic, what have you all done to get rid the trunk vents flapping from the subs hitting. it sounds ghey when i try to be cool and turn up my system
Posted By: SQLSVT Re: too much bass? (and another question) - 05/13/06 10:18 PM
For me too much bass is when it dramatically overpowers the mids & highs up front. I like to have a nice balance of power for the subs and the comonents up front. I run 1000 watts (one JL 1000/1) to my subs and 600 watts (two JL 300/2s) to my 3-way components up front.
Posted By: SpeakerBoxxx Re: too much bass? - 05/21/06 11:57 PM
Originally posted by G Stone:
Too much bass?!? I've never heard of such a thing!!

ditto
Posted By: SpeakerBoxxx Re: too much bass? - 05/21/06 11:59 PM
Originally posted by batteredSVT:
two audiobahn 12" flameQ's two sony 1200 watt amps and the box was a ported with 1.5 ft^3 per chamber.

BTW the sub setup is for sale

audiobahn AND sony? sign me up

buddy, my Tempest and Punch 500 popped my rear deck out. What are you saying?
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: too much bass? - 05/30/06 10:05 PM
2 words...arc audio..mwahahaha
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: too much bass? - 05/31/06 03:55 AM
One can never have "too much bass"

© CEG Archives