Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: teamSVTour Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 05:12 PM
Im looking to pick up another set to finish off my setup. Right now I have Crystal 5x7's in the fronts and stockers in the back. The crystals are o.k. but I want something better. The model I have is not produced any more and the new model they jumped the price on considerably. I'm not so impressed w/ them anyway that I would buy another set.

What I want is a simple drop in. I don't to have to fab up anything. So what do you guys suggest? I have an alpine 9833 w/ the built in v-drive (I think thats what its called...slipped my mind at the moment)so I want something that will sound good w/ the HU powering it. I don't want to run an additional amp. I'm thinking about moving the crystals to the back and putting in something better up front.

Ideas?
Posted By: getsum111 Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 05:36 PM
I've got Polk db507's and I really love them, but they aren't exactly cheap. I ran Pioneer 6x8's powered by an Orion 40004, and they sounded really good. For the money, they are a good choice. Just my .02.
Posted By: Pienstars Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 05:44 PM
Currently running Polk Momo's up front and they sound pretty good.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 05:47 PM
Originally posted by getsum111:
I've got Polk db507's and I really love them, but they aren't exactly cheap. I ran Pioneer 6x8's powered by an Orion 40004, and they sounded really good. For the money, they are a good choice. Just my .02.

Do you mean the db570, thats what I have in all four speaker places. For my first set of aftermarket speakers and I like them. Even though they do distort a bit when the bass is turned up with the volume, but what speaker doesn't. You can find the specs for them here. I found those speakers at Circuit City and got a deal of "buy first set, get second half off" so I had four speakers and installation just below $200.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 05:47 PM
what ever you do don't get polk ex357, my stock speakers sounded better. (I got them for free, so I can't really complain)
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 06:10 PM
any other ideas? I want a quality sounding set that I can power off the V-drive Alpine. I want something w/ crisp highs and mid range and good bass responce. I have one 12 to fill in the lower bass.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 06:21 PM
you would probably be better off going with a set of components.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ZetecGL:
you would probably be better off going with a set of components.

I dont want to have to fab up a moutning plate etc.

Are there any quality components in which case I would not have to fab up anything. If so what are they.

Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 07:14 PM
you can buy mounting plates pretty cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-REFERENCE-5010CS-5-1-4-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-225W_W0QQitemZ5881459824QQcategoryZ32818QQcmdZViewItem

those are what I have and even with 22wrms going to them they sound great
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 07:25 PM
ok so are these the best component speakers for under $100. Thats pretty much all I want to pay.

Also where can I pick up some mounting plates for cheap?
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 07:26 PM
i have no idea if they are the 'best' but they are certainly decent for what I wanted them for.

Let me try to find that page that had all the mounting plates and post a link. I made my own plates.

:edit: Well I know the plates are somewhere, I 'll have to search some more cause i thought it was at one site i usually go to but they don't have them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-REFERENCE-5010CS-5-1-4-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-225W_W0QQitemZ5881459824QQcategoryZ32818QQcmdZViewItem

talk about underpowering those Infinity reference speakers, the 5 1/4 inch components can handle 75 watts rms, I run those at 60 rms and I have 5x7 in the back doors, which are 65 watts rms and that is what I power those at, add one infinitey reference 12 in a sealed box at about 350 rms and it sounds great, sounds quality is very good imho

I think the Infinity Reference 5x7s are a good deal, I think they run around $60 to $70 and handle about 65 watts rms
I am using two sets of Audiobahn AS68Q's in all the doors. They have removable tweeters incase you ever wanted to do something fancy with them. If not they are a straight pop in. They also have built in crossovers to protect the tweets.

I think the model number on them has now changed since it is a new year, think it ends in "V" or something, just check the website. I got mine off of Ebay for around $100. I think they sound great and I am impressed. I am powering them with an external amp though, so, that might be something to consider since they do run 50rms per channel, but IMO I don't think it would make a big deal, should still sound clean. Bass response was pretty good but improved alot when I sound deadened the doors.

Hoped This Helped some.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/22/06 08:08 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:

talk about underpowering those Infinity reference speakers, the 5 1/4 inch components can handle 75 watts rms, I run those at 60 rms and I have 5x7 in the back doors, which are 65 watts rms and that is what I power those at, add one infinitey reference 12 in a sealed box at about 350 rms and it sounds great, sounds quality is very good imho

I think the Infinity Reference 5x7s are a good deal, I think they run around $60 to $70 and handle about 65 watts rms

Yea I'm underpowring them pretty bad, But I don't have enough spare money to get an amp for them yet.. Soon
Posted By: getsum111 Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/23/06 11:57 AM
I know that the Pep Boys by me has adapter plates to mount 6.5" in a 6x8 spot. I think I paid about $5 fora pair. I've also seen them on E-bay. HTH.
Posted By: kipsvt98 Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/24/06 12:46 AM
I have four Boston S85's, got a good deal on them so that is what I bought. They sound good clarity isn't bad. I was in the same boat, wanted something halfway decent without running an amp. No complaints so far.
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2005/audio/speakers/SRC5795/us-en-product-pf_1133851137622.html

i've got these all-around, powered only by my sony deck. i've not heard a more clear mid and high system. seriously. i'll prove how good they are if you are in the EGL region...
DONT GET SONY car audio...
haha

well id say the best 5x7s for the money are the 2005 model of the Alpine Type S for around 100 or so... you can pick them up cheap at best buy becasue they are the old models...

if you want to spend a few money buy the Alpine Type R compoent 5x7 for only 150 at best buy.. NOW THATS A DEAL 70 rms.. cant beat the price
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/24/06 01:20 PM
Originally posted by GreaseyMonkey:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2005/audio/speakers/SRC5795/us-en-product-pf_1133851137622.html

i've got these all-around, powered only by my sony deck. i've not heard a more clear mid and high system. seriously. i'll prove how good they are if you are in the EGL region...

those clarions are basically a component set up in the 5x7 bracket right? Any one else have experience w/ these? Is there any place I can get them for under $150?
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/24/06 03:30 PM
Originally posted by teamSVTour:

those clarions are basically a component set up in the 5x7 bracket right? Any one else have experience w/ these? Is there any place I can get them for under $150?

$74 HERE
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/24/06 04:24 PM
Thanks bud.

Keep the suggestions coming. I am looking for experienced audiophile input. Not necessarily what you have in your car now but what you KNOW sounds really good compared to speakers that do not.

Anyone else know of really good component sets that come in the 5x7 bracket so that it would be a simple drop in similar to those Clarions.

Anyone else have experience w/ these Clarions?
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/24/06 04:49 PM
I have a Clarion ProAudio HU, which I love (It's my 2nd). I've not tried their speakers though. I'm partial to Infinity Kappas, but they're not exactly budget. In the past I've had pretty good results from Pioneer speakers for budget builds.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/24/06 05:29 PM
Anyone have experince or try these...Boston Acoustics SL80 ?

I can pick them up on Ebay for a little over $150
Posted By: kipsvt98 Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/24/06 10:01 PM
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
Anyone have experince or try these...Boston Acoustics SL80 ?

I can pick them up on Ebay for a little over $150

That's a great deal I think those retail for near 300 a pair. I was considering them but I was told by my local car audio store that they are not worth buying if you don't run an amp to them. Just something to think about. iirc, you said you wouldn't be running an amp.
i think the clarion plate speakers end up getting blocked by part of the door panel. someone complained about this years ago. do they have a rotating tweeter? if so, u can install them with the tweeter on the bottom and aim them up.
Originally posted by hmouta:
i think the clarion plate speakers end up getting blocked by part of the door panel. someone complained about this years ago. do they have a rotating tweeter? if so, u can install them with the tweeter on the bottom and aim them up.

i don't have a problem with it...
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/27/06 02:48 PM
any other ideas?
Posted By: Tony D Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/29/06 06:46 PM
Try these
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/29/06 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Tony D:
Try these

whats so good about those?
Try these

they don't really give enough specs on that page to let you make an informed decision. price and wattage are not on the top of my list when shopping for speakers.
Posted By: Tony D Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/30/06 01:04 PM

they don't really give enough specs on that page to let you make an informed decision. price and wattage are not on the top of my list when shopping for speakers.

try Here you lazy bastard

try Here you lazy bastard

with an HONEST comparison, i'd still take the ones i recommended over those.
Posted By: Tony D Re: Best bang for the buck 5X7's out now? - 03/30/06 11:29 PM
BTW,

get the 6x9's instead of the 5x7's.
© CEG Archives