Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Opinions anyone?

My Volvo S40 is next under the knife. I hate the way the stock Audio sounds and I see no way to remove teh factory head unit, or even install an aftermarket deck. Darn manufacturers!

I think JL's Cleansweep is the only way I will get a clean signal for my audio.

Anyone use it? Anyone recommend it or not?

More importantly, does anyone have a have a hookup where I can get it cheap?

Thanks in advance..
no hookups but every audio mag thats reviewed/discussed said it works fantastically. did u get the s40 with any audio/premium upgrades? stock amp system?
I can hook you up with 10% over cost plus shipping.
I got it with the the normal system because I expected to shuck it all. Little did I know.
It is the basic in dash cd player stuff. That is really all I need, but with better sound quality and volume. The speakers suck.
Originally posted by CarpePoon:
I can hook you up with 10% over cost plus shipping.

PM sent.

Is this what it looks like?!
RF makes something similar to the cleansweep with drastically more options for not much more money. Before buying, look into it.
Yep! That is my new baby. I really like the clean layout and the location of everything. VERY well thought out and uncluttered. Just wish the sound system didn't suck.
It is a really cool car, especially with a 6 speed behind the 5 cylinder turbo with All Wheel Drive! Couldn't touch a hair on my SVT in anything but quietness and traction, but then I haven't worked any magic on it yet either.
Originally posted by dnewma04:
RF makes something similar to the cleansweep with drastically more options for not much more money. Before buying, look into it.

RF??

If it is fully automatic and will give me a good clean output, then I'm there. As far as cost, I won't be too thrilled if it is much more but I'll check it out. Got a website??
In the meantime I'll search for it.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: JL Audio Cleansweep...help me out here! - 02/26/06 03:39 AM
it's not out yet, but should be by the end of Q1.

linky
Tom,

You're going to have to do it anyway, so why not start with the speakers? Swap them out and see how that affects your sound. Perhaps the stock HU isn't a bad source.

Mark
Yeah, maybe. Bostonacoustics fit guide claims there standard 6.5" kit will fit with adaptations but I want the pro kit.

Anyone know who is top dog in the component speakers these days?

I've always been partial to Bostonacoustics components myself, at least their Pro series.

Right now my list is like this for my front end:
1. Bostonacoustics Pro60 (the older Pro's are what I had in my SVT)
2. Polk's new high end speakers/JLs/MB Quarts

3. Polk Momo's (nice but kinda dated, affordable however)

For my Sub I'm looking at ONE of these:

1.) JL Audio 12W7
2.) JBL W12GTi
3.) Boston G512-4
4.) Polk's new premium sub
5.) Orion HCA 12" can't remember the number

I only want one woofer this time with a moderate to small enclosure size and near perfect sound quality.

So what is the general consensus on these?
I'm Definitely With You On The BostonAcoustic Pros Tom. That's What Will Be Finding Their Way Into My SVT.

As Far As The Sub Goes, There Are Still Some Other Choices Out There, Like The Kicker Solobaric That Has A Decent Price Point.

Well, I'll look into them but last time I used them they took too much chamber volume.

I'm still really interested in the 12w7 though. Just looking for a good deal on one.

I pm'd the guy about a price on the cleansweep but he hasn't even been back on I guess. I like the rockford fosgate device but if it isn't available yet then the cleansweep is sufficient for me and locally I can get it for about $340.
I'm trying to get one delivered for about $300 though.
W7 is nice, but not a good value.
Yeah, but I really like it. It depends on the price I get it for.

I also like the
JBL a lot.
Originally posted by warmonger:
Anyone know who is top dog in the component speakers these days?

I enjoy building my own by picking out the drivers and making my own xovers.
Well,

I found a good sub, the JBL W12GTi on ebay for a good price, new.

Now I just need front end speakers and a DSP to interface with the head unit. I wish Fosgate were shipping their model, it looks friggin awesome; but I'm not waiting 2 more months to work on this sound system.
Well, I got the Cleansweep installed in my Volvo this weekend. Along with two amplifiers.
I was holding out on buying it but my wife got tired of hearing me [censored] about the sound so she went out and bought me one.

It is very easy to hook up, assuming you've got wiring schematics and know what wires to hook it up to.
I've got to give them props, it is a very clean sounding item and it has a few cool features.
If your stock deck doesn't have an AUX/AMP turn on wire, the cleansweep has an amp turn on and there is a signal sense switch that will turn the amps off when there is no audio signal sensed on the speaker inputs. This helps out so that all you have to do is hook it up to switched 12v and if the radio is off, then so are the amps.
the volume control comes with a silver or black knob and it matched my Volvo brushed steel trim perfectly.
The knob allows an auxilliary input such as an ipod or mp3 player and you just push it down to switch over. Now I have all the music I want on top of the regular stereo.

So it is clean and quiet with no engine noise despite being spliced inline on the factory speaker wires. Fortunately Volvo uses true 14 and 16 ga wire for their speaker connections so I didn't have to replace all of it. I used 18ga to go from the where I tapped the speaker harness to the cleansweep and then 16 ga from the amp back to the splice.

I ended up buying Bostonacoustics Pro60 speakers for the front and just finished installing them tonight, but no reviews for you guys yet.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: JL Audio Cleansweep...help me out here! - 04/04/06 02:08 AM
Well.. glad to hear it!!

As incredibly (anal)attentive as you are towards audio quality and setup ( Even as a deaf guy, I love you for that!) I know that you will have your Volvo sounding like perfection!

© CEG Archives