Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I guess I wanna start a database of CEG'ers posting the best ways and the mods that they can do to get the best and most of our 50L of gas per tank. I mean if we're realisitcally putting 50L of gas I expect AT LEAST (AT THE VERY LEAST) 500KM before the light comes on. But everyone has different experiences. What I do to improve fuel economy regularly:
- Fuel Injector Cleaner after EVERY FILL UP
- Checking and maintaining high tire pressure
- I clean the engine (moving parts) of any gunk, oil or whatever might cause the engine to work harder.
- After EVERY oil change, Oil stabilizer right in. (I got lucky and got a box of Oil stabilizer/Engine protectant for about $2.75 each.
- Trying to drive no more than 20 over the limit and making sure that I shut off my engine during long idles. I also try to make sure and maintain speed instead of stop and go.

I'm getting about 600ish, I've gotten 625 the other day. What are you guys doing?
Maybe about 350km per tank, Of course that consists of some city, some highway, and some "1/4 mile track". About $55-60 of 94 every 4 days or so. Just went to Sparta yesturday and got there (230km) on about half a tank.
i rarely do more than 400km with a tank... its probably because i like the sound of my engine too much
I see a very consistent ~450KMs per tank from a good mix of inner city (Toronto) and highway commuting (60kms return daily). I've seen over 500KMs with long consistent speed road trips, and even then I could have gotten more but I chose to refill at the next station�

I don't feel I do anything conscience to get ââ?¬Ë?goodââ?¬â?¢ gas mileage either... I use Sunoco 91 or 94 exclusively, run synthetic and change it every 5-7000kms depending on my mood, occasionally I'll put Redline fuel treatment in, stock SVT less K&N and no resonator and I check tire pressure on a regular basisââ?¬Â¦

Originally posted by m4gician:
I guess I wanna start a database of CEG'ers posting the best ways and the mods that they can do to get the best and most of our 50L of gas per tank. I mean if we're realisitcally putting 50L of gas I expect AT LEAST (AT THE VERY LEAST) 500KM before the light comes on. But everyone has different experiences. What I do to improve fuel economy regularly:
- Fuel Injector Cleaner after EVERY FILL UP
- Checking and maintaining high tire pressure
- I clean the engine (moving parts) of any gunk, oil or whatever might cause the engine to work harder.
- After EVERY oil change, Oil stabilizer right in. (I got lucky and got a box of Oil stabilizer/Engine protectant for about $2.75 each.
- Trying to drive no more than 20 over the limit and making sure that I shut off my engine during long idles. I also try to make sure and maintain speed instead of stop and go.

I'm getting about 600ish, I've gotten 625 the other day. What are you guys doing?

keep the air filter clean.....

i get 550 plus on my 2 litre just got 625 on last tank
450ish in the City..

get 550+ if all highway..

slow foot & lots of tuneups..

V6 Duratec

cheers
- Fuel Injector Cleaner after EVERY FILL UP = Overkill for sure
- Checking and maintaining high tire pressure Presuming you mean the correct pressure, yes
- I clean the engine (moving parts) of any gunk, oil or whatever might cause the engine to work harder. Yes
- After EVERY oil change, Oil stabilizer right in. (I got lucky and got a box of Oil stabilizer/Engine protectant for about $2.75 each. The only thing that goes in your engine is oil ... nothing else
- Trying to drive no more than 20 over the limit and making sure that I shut off my engine during long idles. I also try to make sure and maintain speed instead of stop and go. Steady is the key here, smooth and soft accelleration too

Clean air filter too, and an exhaust mod will help mileage. Turn off your air in the summer, use windows or just blower vents.
600km for 50l is pretty good. My wife gets between 600 - 700km for her mystique but then she drives 200km for work each day which is 100% highway.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much at 600km/tank.
IF you're trying to save money then the difference of 600 and 700km per 50L fill up (at $1/L) is only $0.01 per km ... or $7/tank maximum. Even whent it was $1.40/L we figured out a difference of just over $0.01 per tank.
With that driving range I'd be worrying more about getting into the local gas station before they change the price of gas for the 3rd time in a day. Anyone else notice that some gas stations adjust their prices according to the world markets rather than when they get their tanks re-filled?
My mileage is alright. I can usually get 500 k out of a tank of gas. Definately less if I drive too fast though. I do use injector cleaner every oil change which for me is about every two months. Other than that I use decent quality gas. I don't use Sunoco Gold as I seem to get worse mileage with it. 91 works well. I avoid Esso as it is one of the dirtest fuels on the market.

I dont really do much else other than the regular maintenance stuff.
Originally posted by lauraq:
My mileage is alright. I can usually get 500 k out of a tank of gas. Definately less if I drive too fast though. I do use injector cleaner every oil change which for me is about every two months. Other than that I use decent quality gas. I don't use Sunoco Gold as I seem to get worse mileage with it. 91 works well. I avoid Esso as it is one of the dirtest fuels on the market.

I dont really do much else other than the regular maintenance stuff.

Now i know I mean I believe Esso gas is the worst gas for mileage IMHO. But I thought or was convinced recently that those things didn't matter. IMHO Shell Gas gives me slightly better mileage, especially the premium mix, but again thats IMHO.

What kind of Exhaust mod would help me get more?! How much am I looking at to install it (pay for it as well)? Should I go with the SVT dual exhaust (mystique)? What do you guys recommend and who'd be able to do it in lets say the Toronto area.
i never bothered to measure it , just fill up when CHEAP !

i keep the tire pressures set right & drive THE speed limit on the 401 ( save 10% for sure over 120km/h )

gooserex went with no-resonator to improve power & sound . i would like to hear his car as I went with a 2.5" Cherrybomb Glasspack from canadian tire . this eliminated the standard 2.5L contour resonator that crimp's the center pipe down to 2" ! i definetly picked up 1-2hp & have less restriction .

to answer your latest question : i would NOT go with a dual-exhaust for these reasons 1- this will add weight & penalise your economy 2- you do not have the high-flow intake to take advantage of the dual exhaust requirments .

i would just add either or both of a glasspack ( way cheaper than the magnaflow ) resonator & high-perf muffler .

have a local garage install it , not advanced stuff ... i paid $40 to do just the resonator .

btw , i use ESSO 91 , not injection problems & i get tiger points !
i have no problems getting over 500kms on a tank going to and from work. letting it warm up min 3-5mins every time i start it morning and night(home form work). highway can get around 600kms usually. once i got a little over 630 but it started to cut out going up a hill outside of brantford .
easy on the gas, pace your lights if you can. keep your oil changed reuglarly.
i'll give you guys a tip for me, use pioneer gas, i tend to get my best mileage on that so does my wifes escape w/ 3.0l.
happy driving.
Wow,and I always thought the Duratec was great on gas. I could easily see 500-620km to a tank. I do all highway miles anyways. I had a cone filter,9mm plug wires and a 2.5" catback exhaust. I also drove the piss out of the car and it was still awesome on fuel.

You want crappy fuel milage? Drive a 1989 Mazda B2200 with a carburated 2.2L. It has a 50L tank,and I get maybe 350-400km to a tank. Yes. From a 4 cylinder. I fill up twice as much as I did my with Duratec.

My Zetec MTX got over 600km to it's last tank.
HOLY SH*T I have NEVER gotten more than 450km on any tank with my stique,. Usually I hit 400 exactly 100km per 1/4. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!
yah its sucks I usually get 450 in the city.. sometimes even 400.. keep in mind this is 90% City..

sucks , sucks & more sucks..

but all highway.. 500+ even 600+ with perfect conditions
My '98 Mystique Zetec ATX with 50 000km on the motor,from a full tank would travel only 100km before a quarter tank of fuel was already used. My Duratec would do about 220km before the fuel needle would even move.

The Mystique would get me 350-400km on average. The best I ever did was 425km with it and it was running on fumes. What a difference the ATX and MTX have on the Zetec.
yeah but i bet the needle drops right off on the last half.....

Got a new K and N filter. Wonder how many added KMS ill get eith that
Yeah the needle starts to drop a little quicker after the half way mark. I hit 370km today and the needle was just starting to move off the half way mark.

I'll have a CTA cold air intake,MSD ignition coil and a Ractive muffler and removed resonator all installed before the end of the week. Wonder how that'll help. Every vehicle I've put a drop in K&N or a cone filter on,I've noticed big gains in fuel economy.
What about driving with the secondaries open compared to not, how does that effect mileage?

Worse I would suspect.
Open secondaries is no good for economy not to mention you will have no torque in the lower RPM range.
Originally posted by CrzyViper:
What about driving with the secondaries open compared to not, how does that effect mileage?

Worse I would suspect.

Foot to the floor and beating the crap out of the car ALL the time and I always got over 500km to a tank. My UIM/LIM needed cleaning (obviously,with over 250 000km on the engine) and never did it.

Honestly,between my Zetec and Duratec MTXs,I notice almost no difference in fuel economy. Only my Zetec ATX was a pig and it was completely stock with 50k KM on a new motor. 350-450km to a tank on a good day.
What I also find helps is an intake and exhaust mod. Those things would really allow you to get more out of the gas you put in. Try also using Shell Gas in your cars vs. Esso or even Petro simply because of the quality I feel.
I have an MSD ignition coil,8mm wires,god knows how old spark plugs,stock intake,removed resonator and a 'performance' muffler (read: fart can) and I got 625km out of my Zetec last week,with the needle just under the quarter mark.

My Duratec had a cone filter,9mm wires,removed resonator and a 2.5" SVT-style exhaust with no mufflers. I was also cheap and would usually fill up around a half tank,but if I ran it down I got well over 500.
i havent done a thing with my engine at 191,000 km aside from plugs and wires at 100,000

i still get 450 hwy and i drive the hell out of it

to be honest the 2.50-5$ injector cleaner you use wont yeild back the 2-5 litres of fuel you could have bought

oil changes ever 6-8k (100% hwy driving oil is still clean after 8k and i dont need to top it up)

I got my Mystique at 160KM, it's at 250KM right now after about 2 to 2.5 years of driving it. Now what I'm debating, is the cost of removing resonator, adding SVT exhaust system (that cool looking dual exhaust), are worth it I mean that's $400 or $500 dollars right there with labour and that may be a waste, but you know I've just only NOW started to mod my car. We'll see.
© CEG Archives