Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Bailey Need help - 01/15/06 03:24 PM
Finding an apartment in the GTA area, i was finally able to convince Judy to move back to Ontario (GTA area), i won't have any trouble finding work ( i'm a drywall finisher).But i will need help to find a descent place.

Does anybody know of a website that could help me find a place, and/or could give me a heads up for the following :

- avg. prices for a 2 bedroom apt.
- is it still first and last months rent ( on signing the lease)
- pets allowed or not
and in what kind of neighborhood would that be

Thanks for the help
Posted By: GapBoyPCS_dup1 Re: Need help - 01/15/06 04:16 PM
Are you looking to either rent or buy? Depending on where you are and your financial position, it might be better to just buy a place because the rent monies you pay could well translate into physical equity in your place i.e. something you own.

Areas in the GTA...hmm...I guess it depends on what you want in terms of conveniences, distance to work, cost of living, etc.

If you're buying, you can try mls.ca for starters.
Posted By: Bailey Re: Need help - 01/15/06 04:24 PM
We want to rent for now, we would prefer in the gta/ miss. area because Judy will transfer to the Scotia bank head office in T.O., as for me it does not really matter cause in construction most of the time, you never stay on the same job site for too long.

I might just get a place like a room/board for now ( since i'll be going by myself for now and Judy will come and join me when i find a place.

Thanks for the help

P.S. what are the toronto newspapers, i only remember the sun
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Need help - 01/15/06 05:55 PM
Toronto Star and the Sun.

Aaron
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: Need help - 01/15/06 06:11 PM
You may consider the other side of TO as well since Judy would likley need to commute to begin with. Bowmanville is very nice and alot cheaper to rent/live.
Posted By: Bailey Re: Need help - 01/15/06 06:37 PM
Ok maybe this is a stupid question but what's the difference between a apartment and a flat, is a flat like what we call a loft
Posted By: BrianW Re: Need help - 01/15/06 08:32 PM
Renter's News

kickass web site for finding apartments. All of the big and small renting companies are on there. I've fond all of my 3 apartments on there in Ottawa and London.

Good luck with you move
Posted By: GapBoyPCS_dup1 Re: Need help - 01/15/06 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Bailey:
We want to rent for now, we would prefer in the gta/ miss. area because Judy will transfer to the Scotia bank head office in T.O., as for me it does not really matter cause in construction most of the time, you never stay on the same job site for too long.

I might just get a place like a room/board for now ( since i'll be going by myself for now and Judy will come and join me when i find a place.

If Judy is going to work at Scotia Plaza, then I suggest you find a place in the suburbs that's near the GO train lines (www.gotransit.com). Then she can experience Train 48 live
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Need help - 01/16/06 06:38 AM
Ok maybe this is a stupid question but what's the difference between a apartment and a flat, is a flat like what we call a loft

Flat is a European term for apartment .
Posted By: JULES_dup1 Re: Need help - 01/17/06 07:29 PM
Honestly the best place to search is www.viewit.ca you can search in great detail (price, locations, type apartment, condo, basement apt...etc). I was looking to move to T.O. because of my new job but came short on the cash.
Posted By: joe_dup1 Re: Need help - 01/17/06 07:40 PM
Finding an apartment in the GTA area, i was finally able to convince Judy to move back to Ontario (GTA area), i won't have any trouble finding work ( i'm a drywall finisher).But i will need help to find a descent place.

Does anybody know of a website that could help me find a place, and/or could give me a heads up for the following :

- avg. prices for a 2 bedroom apt.
- is it still first and last months rent ( on signing the lease)
- pets allowed or not
and in what kind of neighborhood would that be

Thanks for the help

- is it still first and last months rent
Yes

- pets allowed or not
No pets allowed is technically non-enforcable in Ontario. Landlord have other avenues for enforcing "no pets allowed", but only after the fact, like if you have a dog that barks its head off.
Posted By: gooserex Re: Need help - 01/18/06 08:22 PM
Or if the pet causes undue stress to someone with health issues, but even then it's something that would have to go thru the Tribunal for it to see any real action.

Also know your rights as a tenant in Ontario... And that rights on your landlord as they usually need to be reminded.

Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal

As for sites, I had a preference to viewit.ca, but nothing works as well as driving through the neighborhoods you would like to live in, the place I just moved into was found simply by driving around.

cheers, and good luck!
© CEG Archives