Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 You won't beleive it - 11/23/04 09:29 PM
I failed the e-test again. This time sporting a new Cat. Now I have just found out that you should wait a few days for the new cat to break in but one would think it may work better then the old one. I still think it will. Problem is my B-day is coming soon. Now my main cat that was pulled off had started to burn up. This implies that I am running super rich. So question now is what is causing me to run that rich. Anyone have any ideas? I need to get this rectified ASAP. As well since the last test a leak that allowed some unmetered air into the engine was repaired. The way I figured is that leak would have helped lean the engine out. So my guess is that this is part of why I failed so badly today. I need to find this rich problem. Looking to you guys for advice.

Thanks, Mark
Posted By: bigerik Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 12:00 AM
Hmm..
Could we swap plates/vins and I will do the test for ya?

Erik
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 12:04 AM
Originally posted by bigerik:
Hmm..

Erik

Don't joke. The thought almost crossed my mind.
Posted By: SVTforme_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 04:32 AM
Have you ever replaced your O2 sensors? The O2 sensors are the only feedback that you vehicle's engine controller has on the quality of the fuel burn - assuming that everything else is in working order (MAF, injectors, spark plugs/wires), and you can now knock the cats out of the equation since they are new. Not sure if you can get a heading of the O2 voltage or cross-counts from the OBD system - I will likely read rich or lean.

I was talking to a guy the other day when I got my car e-tested, and he mentioned that a few people had passed simply by changing their oil (not sure what the truth to that one is).

You can switch plates on my car and swap in your VIN .
Posted By: bigerik Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 05:22 AM
Originally posted by mbb41:
Hmm..

Erik

Who said I was jokin!
E
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 07:28 AM
I have a theroy. Does anyone know if a failing TPS could be at fault? I swapped one over in the summer from Chongo's mobile duratec store. It was said to be failing when he took it off his car but we were in a pinch since we toasted my OEM one. So I got to thinking that if it truely were failing and the TPS was giving a false reading to the computer. Thus the computer sending in more fuel then the there is air to mix with it making the car run rich in the lower RPM's till the secondaries open up. Now when they open the car goes faster then it ever has before the modding. Now I would assume that this could explain a lack of low end torque that my car definately is experincing. Does this make sense to anyone and is it even a possibilty. I'm thinking that it is possible to have a sensor show as out of wack on the OBDII but the OBDI not be able to detect it given its primative programing. At least at this point I'm really hoping that to be true.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 12:28 PM
Hmm..

Erik

What you do is have Mark's VIN scanned at the facility, but have Eric's car on the rollers doing the test. This way the ministry sees Mark's vehicle as registered for the etest, though Erik's car would be the one doing the actual etest. Make sense? .........but you didn't hear that from me.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 12:40 PM
This could be possible, we need Jeff to tell us what was causing the problem for him to have replaced it in th first place.
Posted By: bigerik Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 02:27 PM
Originally posted by cawong11:
Hmm..

Erik

What you do is have Mark's VIN scanned at the facility, but have Eric's car on the rollers doing the test. This way the ministry sees Mark's vehicle as registered for the etest, though Erik's car would be the one doing the actual etest. Make sense? .........but you didn't hear that from me.

Didn't hear nuthin!
And I am sure neither Mark nor I would even consider doing anything so underhanded and deceitful!
Erik
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 02:41 PM
I just gave the guy my VIN and a few days later I got a paper saying that my car had passed the E-test.

Aaron
Posted By: 96 2.5L GL Auto Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 02:44 PM
I learned a lesson (that most probably already knew about).. get your smog done a few days after your birthday (whether legit or a hot one)... that way when it's would be "due again" you don't have to do it..

a hot smog can be had all over for about $150-200.. ask any coffee truck driver.
Posted By: terrymcg Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 04:03 PM
Hi Mark...

Quote:

Now I have just found out that you should wait a few days for the new cat to break in but one would think it may work better then the old one

My go-round with etesting started with some exhaust repairs. After getting the holes fixed, I went back to the test facility, where they told me I should wait at least a week after getting new exhaust parts before doing the test. They suggested that crud left on the exhaust pipe/part surfaces during manufacturing would freak the meters.

Have you ever gotten any numbers out of the ECU wrt engine fuel trim levels?

Cheers,
--
Terry McG
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 05:48 PM
Originally posted by terrymcg:
Hi Mark...

Have you ever gotten any numbers out of the ECU wrt engine fuel trim levels?

Cheers,
--
Terry McG

That is interesting about the Exhaust thing. I will take that under advice.

As for your question. It is a little Greek to me. How does one go about this?
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 05:52 PM
The TPS does play a role in fuel metering...do you have any codes at all? And how new are your O2 sensors?
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
The TPS does play a role in fuel metering...do you have any codes at all? And how new are your O2 sensors?

O2's are within 30000kms. No there are no codes but to be honest I don't much trust the OBDI. I'm hoping someone can dispell that notion of mine or lay creedence to it.
Posted By: terrymcg Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 06:28 PM
Hi Mark...

It's another of those "gotta have a scan tool" things. I'm not sure just what you'd do with the data, but the ECU tracks long and short term fuel trim (rich vs. lean). At the very least, it would confirm (or not) if you were running rich.

Cheers,
--
Terry McG
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 08:54 PM
Originally posted by terrymcg:
Hi Mark...

It's another of those "gotta have a scan tool" things. I'm not sure just what you'd do with the data, but the ECU tracks long and short term fuel trim (rich vs. lean). At the very least, it would confirm (or not) if you were running rich.

Cheers,
--
Terry McG

I've seen this on the OBDII but is it out there for the OBDI?
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/24/04 09:02 PM
Mark have you checked the plugs? Incomplete burn could cause your problem as well.
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/25/04 02:27 AM
Originally posted by SVTCANUK:
Mark have you checked the plugs? Incomplete burn could cause your problem as well.

Think I'm going to do them tomorrow night. Running low on options and that is one of them now.
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: You won't beleive it - 11/25/04 03:02 AM
You can test the TPS. Using a multimeter set it to the 20 scale, turn the key to the ON position but dont turn on the car, with the TB closed like at idle voltage should be about .7, open the TB all the way does it go above 4 volts, if not then it is your problem.

Posted By: terrymcg Re: You won't beleive it - 11/25/04 02:54 PM

I've seen this on the OBDII but is it out there for the OBDI?

Not sure - I thought from the '96 in your sig that your car would be OBDII, my bad if that's not the case.

on edit - ah, now I see... there are two of 'em I suspect the ecu in the '95 will track this stuff (or something similar), but you'll need a different tool to get at the info (a Sentra I used to own had a couple of LEDs on the ecu that would flash out codes).

Worst case, it does sound like getting an 'under the table' pass is quite possible - just don't talk about it on line

Cheers,
--
Terry McG
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/25/04 05:42 PM
Just another thought....PCV Valve?
Posted By: LBVSVT_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/25/04 06:39 PM
It's your headers Mark ... take them off and sell 'em to me cheap and I'll give you my pre-cats ...
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: You won't beleive it - 11/26/04 01:58 AM
Originally posted by LBVSVT:
It's your headers Mark ... take them off and sell 'em to me cheap and I'll give you my pre-cats ...

I'm almost that desperate. And yes I know it has alot to do with my headers. But still I should be able to pass.
© CEG Archives