Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ScottK My turn... - 02/12/04 06:23 PM
Well, looks like my Grizzly kevlar clutch was only good for 30,000 miles

I just ordered parts from Bill (hey Eric - what's up with tying up his line while I'm trying to talk to him!) so if anyone feels like getting some free food and beer we can do a tranny pull at my house in the not to distant future.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: My turn... - 02/12/04 08:38 PM
well that sucks. Only 30,000 miles? That's pretty weak IMO.

Good luck though.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: My turn... - 02/12/04 09:07 PM
well between you, Eric and I. Im sure we can pull a tranny change a clutch in a weekend. Did you want to do anything to the tranny? diff? forks? syncro's? flywheel? Or just strait clutch.
Posted By: ScottK Re: My turn... - 02/12/04 09:25 PM
Originally posted by dubkatz:
well between you, Eric and I. Im sure we can pull a tranny change a clutch in a weekend. Did you want to do anything to the tranny? diff? forks? syncro's? flywheel? Or just strait clutch.

Well yes I'd love to do a torsen and synchros - but I'm just going to leave it at the clutch for now. I already have the SVT flywheel - so I'll probably just need to get it machined a bit for cleanup.

I figure with 80,000 miles of UDP life on the car it's only going to be a couple of years now before I'll have to throw a 3.0 in there , and I'll do the whole shebang then or sell it before it blows up.

Also - the pre-98 trannies supposedly (from Terry) had the strengthened spiders to begin with and had a better shifter forks that rides on ballbearings. Since I've never heard of a pre-98 blowing a diff I'm inclined to believe him. My shifting is pretty decent when warmed up with the redline fluid - so I'll just make this a "quick" clutch swap with a new rear main oil seal just in case.
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: My turn... - 02/12/04 09:53 PM
scott, i to had the same problme with the grizzly clutch...i wnet with SPEC stage 2 clutch...great choice IMO.

let me know how it goes.

Roz
Posted By: Mental Case Re: My turn... - 02/13/04 02:15 AM
Thats right dub,you did a new clutch and flywheel too,, what you gonna do with that old SVT flywheel? Or have you got rid of it already. If not, lets talk.
Posted By: ScottK Re: My turn... - 02/17/04 03:11 AM
well, I called Bill last thurs so hopefully I'll have parts to do the job over the upcoming weekend.

Question - did you guys rent a tranny jack and if so where'd you get it? Hopefully I can get everything rounded up before hand to make this a smooth job.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: My turn... - 02/19/04 11:59 PM
im not a big fan of stock clutches. Ill bring you mine
And scott im sure what you dont have(tools wise) i do. And are you planning on doing this with or without power tools? Because if you want i can bring my compressor and power tools. Id def. makes life alot easer.
Posted By: ScottK Re: My turn... - 02/20/04 03:00 AM
yeah - I heard you ripped the splines right off it! I'm a little scared of aftermarket right now - I figure a stocker should last at LEAST 60-80 under worst case - my high perf kevlar POS is dead at 30.

I have an electric impact wrench which works pretty good. I do need a good tq wrench for reassembly.

My plan is to work a few hours per night tonight and tomorow to do the "simple" one man stuff - hopefully leaving a pretty reasonable job for over the weekend. Even if it drags into next week (worst case) it'll still be okay.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: My turn... - 02/20/04 04:16 AM
well what are you gonna do about the flywheel? do you have someone that is gonna resurface it? when? I def. think its gonna be a 2 weekend project. o and i dont have a tq wrench unfortunatly. Do you have a axel puller? you are gonna need one for sure. andd i do have one of those, And you need something to hold the motor up while the subframe and tranny is gone. I used a regular car jack but one of those motor hanger thinges we used on eric's car is a lot better and more secure. You also need a pretty big star socket, wich i have an assortment of sizes If we put everything back together next weekend. Eric is much more likely to help being he has company this whole weekend. And i can assure you this, pulling and putting the tranny and subframe is a 3 man job.
Posted By: ScottK Re: My turn... - 02/20/04 05:11 AM
Where'd Eric get the engine support - that had me a little worried about supporting it with just a jack.

I'll pull the flywheel and take it to the local tranny shop hopefully for a resurface, i was counting on being able to get it done quickly like when you want rotors turned???

I'm going to go down to the rental place to look for a tranny jack to avoid any "oops" while lowering the tranny.

Supposedly you can drop the subframe with only removing the axles from the tranny side - when the ball joint, tie rod and sway bar are disconnected and the strut nut is loosened 5 turns you can move the whole knuckle assmbly enough to get the axle out of the tranny - saves the ballbusting work of getting the axles out of the hub. I'll swing over to kragen to borrow there slide hammer deal to get the axles out of the tranny unless that's what you have.

Whats the beig star socket for? I have the torx bits for the rotors - I think I have a t45, 47 or 50 or something like that. Luckily ALL of my bolts have been pre-loosened from various projects (clutch 30k ago, y pipe last year, new sway links last year) so I'm not expeccting TOO much headache there.

well see - it's nice to be optimistic, I'm sure my bubble will burst tomorow or the day after
Posted By: ScottK Re: My turn... - 02/20/04 06:16 AM
Well, so it begins

Shes up in the air, no front wheels, no battery, no maf or air filter, no y pipe or cat. Also pulled the accesory and radiator splash gaurds.

Couple of distrubing thingss so far - my driver side tie rod end was FINGER TIGHT. Not the joint - the inside adjuster you align it with. I put my hand on it and it started to unscrew I blame the retards at Goodyear tire on Poway Rd that did my alignment for me last summer, unless the guys who put on my new tires last week decided to F with me??? Also looks like the tie rod end bolt is going to give me trouble - the bolt is spinning in the bore but the nuts not moving - I read a similar problem here so I'll search for the solution to that. Good thing about working with 80k old parts is you don't give a crap if you have to destroy them for removal, especially since BAT sells them for 18 each.

Also my accesory pulley seal is leaking - I'll probably put off fixing that 'till another day, and it looks like I dripping a teeny bit off coolant from the new (20k old) metal impellar W/P weep hole - no drop in coolant level in months but I do see a drip coming off the bottom - makes me nervous since there are people here on there 5th pump for a rash of leaking out the weep hole.
Posted By: ScottK Re: My turn... - 02/20/04 06:15 PM
both tie rods off, gonna have to get some new ones

off to sea world before it rains...
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: My turn... - 02/20/04 11:29 PM
"I think I have a t45, 47 or 50 or something like that.""
thats all you need. and with a axel puller getting the axels out of the hub is no problem at all. Its accualy an axel pusher anyways if you need it i can bring it over tomorow. and eric got the motor hanger thingy from mitch's work. and if you have a big enough jack its not hard to pul;l the tranny. I dont think you need a tranny jack. its not that heavy, two guys can easy carry it. and ounce all the bolts are off its real eazy to just slide a screwdriver in to break the seal and the whole thing tranny just pops off.
Why am i telling you all this, you have already done a clutch.
Posted By: ScottK Re: My turn... - 02/21/04 02:35 AM
No - I paid to have it done last time, so this is all new for me. Just makes things easier that someone else got to break up the 50-60000 miles of NY road salt rusted up bolts first :-)

You probably be all hung over tomorow from Erics party - so whenever you can make it by is cool. Why don't you bring the axle puller over just in case.

I'll be in working on it all day, If you need a phone number to give me a call let me know and I'll PM you.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: My turn... - 02/21/04 03:17 AM
erics party is tomorow night so i dont think im gonna be hung over before the party(of course stranger things have happened) Anyways yea pm your # i might still have in my address book but shoot me it just in case.
Posted By: ScottK play by play - 02/21/04 05:48 AM
Well, the a-arm pinch bolts are out and the a-arms are 1/2 way out (got yelled at for banging too loud), the sway bar links are disconnected. The radiator is tied up and the lower radiator supports are off. Also the fender supports are removed.

Tomorow morning should be:

support the engine/tranny with jack, drain the p/s from the cooler lines, remove PS gear pinch bolt, remove shift rod pinch bolt and shift stabiler nut and the lower roll restrictors. Then the subframe should be ready to come down

After that it's "just" the tranny and assorted tranny stuff that needs to be disconnected (clutch line, starter, back up light, vss, speedo). Maybe I'll be able to get all that done in the morning too. Hopefully when people show up to help we can do all the two man removal stuff pretty quick so I don't hold you up too long.

Then if eveything goes PERFECTLY (ie my clutch does show up tomorow, I get the flywheel off before the shop closes to get it resurfaced, I get a new tie rod end...) I can start putting stuff together on Sunday. I have some friends from work on notice that I may be calling for a favor - so if I get stuck for help I can get them over. Even if it draags into the week I'll just have the wife chaufer me around for a bit
Posted By: ScottK Re: My turn... - 02/21/04 07:55 PM

okay - i'm stuck on the STUPIDEST thing

There is a pinch bolt that holds the shift rod to the tranny, once it's out the tranny side rod "just slides right out" of the shifter side u-joint sleeve.

Well - the damn rod is frozen solid in there, and there is no way the sub frame / tranny is going anywhere untill it's removed.

Maybe a good fire wrench would help? I suppose it's off to the store to look for a cheap propane torch...
Posted By: ScottK problem solved - another question - 02/22/04 01:48 AM
solved that one - fire wrench and creative leverage points.

Eric and Dub - the steering gear pinch bolt, was yours a small bolt with a torx head? How did you manage to reach it, and once the pinch bolt is out do you do anything else or will the colum seperate from the rack smoothly when you drop the subframe?

Looks like I'm waiting on a tie rod end so no way it'll be ready for monday, but I'm hoping tomorow is more productive than today.
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: problem solved - another question - 02/22/04 02:07 AM
It steering will come right apart once the bolt is out. If the steering comes apart in side the car, mine did, it is 4 bolts to undue the steering column and put it back together. Yeah it was a torks also.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: problem solved - another question - 02/22/04 02:29 AM
yea eric did mine too because my hands are too big to get up there. But from what it sounded like it was a real pain in the azz. Esp. when everything goes back together and you have to put the hydro lines back on the rack. That seemed to take us for ever.
Posted By: ScottK Re: problem solved - another question - 02/22/04 02:40 AM
Ahh - next question, the dumb ass manual says "lower subframe slightly, then remove high pressure power steering lines"

So we'll drop it and if I rip the PS lines apart then it was lowered more than "slightly"???

Seriously - how much can you drop it to reach the ps lines?

thanks guys

S
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: problem solved - another question - 02/22/04 09:17 AM
a couple of inches. The lines give a little. they are the last thing to come apart and the first thing to go together,
Posted By: ScottK Re: problem solved - another question - 02/22/04 06:21 PM
Thanks -

I think I'm going to be ready to drop the subframe and tranny today - is anyone available to help later this afternoon?

If not I'll try and get a couple of buddies from work.

Not that I need it just yet - but do one of you have the clutch alignment tool? I didn't get one with my clutch from Bill.

Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: problem solved - another question - 02/22/04 08:55 PM
yea i have one. Although im not sure if i can make it today. I had a late start on the day, thanks to Eric
and now i have a bunch of stuff i have to do.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Next weekend - 02/22/04 11:47 PM
Well, I've come as far as I can alone - so looks like your suggestion of next weekend is probably a good one.

Can either or both of you guys for sure make it over next weekend or maybe one night this week? (I supply beer and pizza of course )

I'm getting some greef from the wife 'casue she'll have to play chaufer next week, but when I tell her how much the dealer charges she stops complaining. The car was probably one day from being undrivable anyway, so I didn't lose anything by starting this weekend. I got in a good 8 hours of "prep" work, so we may be able to get the tranny down in just a few hours.

I actually was ready to drop the subframe alone just now, but realized my impact gun was to tall to fit under the rear subframe bolts and I didn't have my adapter to use the big sockets with my ratchet - and someone hmmmm still has my "calibrated breaker bar".

So to sum it up - HELP

1) I still have to get the ball joints out of the knuckle, on the pre98 I think it may be impossible! to get it all the way out without either jacking up the strut or lowering the subframe a bit - the a-arm bottoms out on the subframe with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the stud left inside the knuckle.

2) pull the axles

3) lower subframe, disconnect p/s lines, drop subframe

4) disconnect vss

(clutch hydralic line, back up light and starter are already done)

5) drop tranny
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Next weekend - 02/23/04 01:04 AM
well i work till 7:30pm everyday this week. But next weekend i dont have any big plans. I can bring my compressor so we can get to the subframe bolts.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Next weekend - 02/23/04 01:53 AM
Sounds good - hopefully Eric is free too!

Since you've done 2 of these now, how long would you guess it'd take to go from what I've done so far to having the flywheel out ready to drop off at the shop if all 3 of us are working on it?

Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Next weekend - 02/23/04 04:59 AM
2-3 hours if everything went smoothly and if Eric shows up when he says he will
Posted By: path914 Re: Next weekend - 02/23/04 03:43 PM
I can probably stop by next Saturday to lend an extra hand or at least moral support

I need to head up that way to get some of my leftover stuff from moving anyway.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Next weekend - 02/23/04 04:43 PM
2-3 hours if everything went smoothly and if Eric shows up when he says he will

Well - since we're counting on things going smoothly then you better double that

I get my new tie rod end today - so at least I have all the peices to put the car back together if I wanted too
Posted By: ScottK Is this advisable - 02/24/04 04:22 AM
I'm contemplating dropping my subframe with no assistance. Is the subframe over or under say 200 lbs?

According to the directions it "should" be doable.

The plan is to put a 40" 2x4 toward the back of the frame with a jack on each side. Then pull the back subframe mounts, and loosen the front to the bottom of travel. Then I could lower the back a couple few inches and undo the steering lines and what not. Then I could just pull the fronts and ease the frame down.

this is of course if the frame is of a manageable weight?

also - where exactly are the p/s lines I have to pull, the manual isn't very specific?

There's no way I'm going to do this if I have to lay underneath a 400 lb subframe jiggling stuff around, I'm impatient not stupid!!!

It's pretty funny - in the steering rack removal instructions it actually tells you to lower the subframe BEFORE trying to get the control arms undone:

"Allow subframe to lower slightly. Disconnect steering pressure and return hoses from steering gear. Remove the nut retaining steering cooler lines to right front of subframe and two bolts retaining cooler lines to rear of subframe. Carefully pry the lower control arms from steering knuckles and steering gear coupler from steering gear. Lower and remove subframe."

So - recipe for a big screw up or a manageable task?
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/24/04 06:44 AM
never mind the aabove question:

(Damn I like to post alot )

I feel like I'm typing in my diary here:

dear diary, I thought about dropping my subframe today...

Seriously - I went out and looked at things and my original plan was just to prone to a screw up. Jacks and heavy weights that may or may not want to shift around are just a bad idea!

but, like I said I'm impatient.

I took my set of steel ramps and 2 2x4 blocks to construct a solid platform to evenly support the weight of the whole subframe. I still had the one 40" 2x4 accross the center that I used to hold up the frame, I pulled all 4 sub frame bolts and very gently eased it down onto my little platform. Worked perfectly - I have room to reach in and undo the p/s lines, the s-frame is solidly supported, and like I had hoped the ball joints just slid right out of the knuckle. For tonight I rethreaded the front s-frame bolts loosely just to be doubly sure nothing slides around - hey we could have an earhtquake tonight right?

Tomorow I'll undo all the p/s lines and get a neighbor to help lift the s/f of the platform.

My hope is that by renting a real tranny jack I can even get the tranny down during the week, pull the flywheel for a resurface, and our clutch party saturday can be a "simple" reasembly of the poor car.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/25/04 06:03 AM
No more subframe.

Couple o tricks - don't diconnect the p/s lines from the steering rack. Disconnect the low presure return at the p/s resevoir, and the high presure feed at the p/s pump by the motor mount. Lines feed right down between engine and firewall and saves messing with tough to reach couplings on the rack.

After you lower the frame about 4-5 inches, go into the driver footwell and yank up on the steering column shaft, it's an easy way to seperate the coupling do-dad.

Just need to pull the axles and drop the tranny now.

Damn, things drag on when you do 1-2 hours of work per night.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Is this advisable - 02/25/04 06:34 AM
I just saw your posts now and would have agreed that pulling the sub-frame is totaly do-able with a jsck.
On regards to your tranny. There is no way in hell i would try that by myself. The tranny weight at least 150 pounds. Even if i had a jack i wouldnt do it without someone. I would say get someone to resurface the flywheel, sat. afternoon. I can come over sat. Morning'ish. Eric will come too. We can drop the tranny by noon. Get it resurfaced that day and then sunday we can put it and subframe back in and you can do the rest by yourself.
Posted By: path914 Re: Is this advisable - 02/25/04 04:11 PM
I can come by whenever you want on Saturday. I think it'll probably be >2pm before we see Eric though
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 04:08 AM
I just saw your posts now and would have agreed that pulling the sub-frame is totaly do-able with a jsck.
On regards to your tranny. There is no way in hell i would try that by myself. The tranny weight at least 150 pounds. Even if i had a jack i wouldnt do it without someone. I would say get someone to resurface the flywheel, sat. afternoon. I can come over sat. Morning'ish. Eric will come too. We can drop the tranny by noon. Get it resurfaced that day and then sunday we can put it and subframe back in and you can do the rest by yourself.

I haven't heard from Eric - is he for sure going to be able to make it Saturday?

I miss my car , and I'm starting to think 5-700 dollaars just to be done with it is not a bad deal.

Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 05:01 AM
2 more questions:

1) I was messing with it today and can easily remove the passenger side intermediate&half shaft. On the driver side there is NO WAY that the axle is coming out of the tranny - pry bars, slide hammer, rope..., nothing worked. But the axle does come right out of the the wheel hub - it looks like I could just leave the shaft in the tranny and pull it connected like that - what do you think?

2) Next, I was loosening bolts to make saturday easier, I've gotten all the mounts and the tranny bolts broken loose EXCEPT for the one tranny bolt. Its the one right behind the front precat that you can't get to with a socket. On top of that, the last shop COMPLETELY rounded the other side of the bolt. (This is the one and only tranny bolt that is a nut/bolt as opposed to just a bolt into the engine. I'm thinking maybe a flare wrench or a six point box end wrench (if I can find one) - but did you guys have any trouble with any of your tranny bolts? I suppose I could remove the front exhaust manifold to get it with a socket, but I'd really rather not!
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 05:39 AM
I may come over after work tomorrow to look over the situation and see what tools we may need. I will make it saturday but I have to work n the morning. should get done around ten.

Let me know if you will be home tomorrow around 5:30

Eric

Oh yeah, just leave the driver side axle in.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 04:43 PM
Sweet!

I'll be home anytime tonight after like 5.

I'm going to hit that bolt with the torch for a while tonight and see if I can break it loose with one of those fuel line flare wrenches.

We could always drill it out if we had too...
Posted By: path914 Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 04:56 PM
Or you could just file down two opposing sides and use a vise-grip wrench. My usual solution...
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 06:43 PM
It's a tough spot, there's a engine block rib or soemthing and the precat that interferes with access. You can get a vise-grip on it, but I couldn't really get a good grip.

I know if I took off the precat it would come right off with a socket - but that's just one more thing I don't feel like doing. I actually expect the flare wrench and torch should be able to get it out - I was just tired and pissed off at it yesterday. It was one of those times when you "just put down the tools and step away from the car, and no one gets hurt"
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 07:11 PM
Scott,

shot me a pm with your # so I can call you when I get off work.

I should have brought my racheting boxends with me. Those things are sweet.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 09:35 PM
Originally posted by myfastse:
Scott,

shot me a pm with your # so I can call you when I get off work.

I should have brought my racheting boxends with me. Those things are sweet.

Done.

Yeah - I've got to get a set of those! Regular wrenches suck!

Well, tomorow may just be a pull down the tranny type of day. The 2 local places who resurface flywheels (Poway Auto Machine or Midland Auto) aren't open on the weekends.

There is a small chance that with only 30,000 miles on it the flywheel is perfect - but if there is any question we'll just yank things out tomorow and leave reassembly for another day.
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Is this advisable - 02/27/04 10:53 PM
I'll bring my Dremel and I'll turn it myself. The redneck way. LOL
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/28/04 12:29 AM
I'll bring my Dremel and I'll turn it myself. The redneck way. LOL

Well, following the "unique apllication" thread theme from problems forum, we could hook a grinding wheel to the engine while the tranny is out and grind the hell out of it with that

I think if there are no cracks / grooves or bad burnt spots I may just rough it up a little and reuse it. We'll see how kind the kevlar clutch was to it first though, I sure as hell don't want to do this again real soon.

Harley - don't forget the clutch alignment tool and axle puller (pusher) tool.

We shouldn't need your air tank / tools since most of the big bolts are out and my electric impact wrench does a decent enough job.

thanks guys!

Scott
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Is this advisable - 02/28/04 07:56 AM
Originally posted by ScottK:

Harley - don't forget the clutch alignment tool and axle puller (pusher) tool.

They are already in the tour. And Scott you forgot to remind me to bring the big jack.
And i will be calling you tomorow to get directions.
Posted By: FightinVikin Re: Is this advisable - 02/28/04 08:59 AM
i think i have a little time to show up tomorrow to hang out with you guys, anyone wanna tell me how to get there?
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/28/04 04:17 PM
Originally posted by FightinVikin:
i think i have a little time to show up tomorrow to hang out with you guys, anyone wanna tell me how to get there?

Cool - the more the merrier.

I will PM you my phone number and directions.

The good news - the stuck bolt IS NO LONGER A PROBLEM. Notice I didn't say it was out, it's just not a problem. I tried every trick: torch, ice, pb blaster, flare end wrench, vise grips, dremeled a notch in it and tried to chisel it out. That nut is now part of the bolt! I just drilled out the head from the other side and popped it off. It's out off the way and totally loose, but the manifold keeps me from removing it all the way. I just have to dremel the bolt shaft on the other side to finish the extraction.

"Should" be a smooth job today - as I've had all the other bolts broken loose already.

Sounds like Eric is planning to be here 10:30 or 11 after he gets out of work.

BTW - Eric you left your hat and shades here yesterday.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Is this advisable - 02/29/04 12:19 AM

He leaves his hat and glasses everytime he comes to my house
Posted By: ScottK Re: Is this advisable - 02/29/04 03:00 AM

He leaves his hat and glasses everytime he comes to my house

I was going to collect up his watch and glasses and what not and sell it on E-bay

Thanks for your help guys!

For the intrested readers the tranny is off and the clutch removed.

The flywheel looked darn near perfect - no discoloration at all, no cracks (what do you expect with only 30k miles!). Almost completely perfect except for one small groove on the outer lip that was probably the edge of the disc wearing in. Will go for a very light clean up monday. The rear main seal was leaking pretty good, but there was no sign of oil on the clutch side of things. Helps explain the qt or so a month I've been using, also looks like theres a bigger leak from the oil pressure sender or cam position sensor - lots of oil behind the ac compressor.

The disc was jusst very very thin, and at some point (probably an accidental downshift to second instead of 4th) I had craked 3 of the arms holding the disc to the hub

I have the new rear main, and the flywheel will be done on Monday. Then we just need to find aanother time to get together to lift things up and start putting it together.
Posted By: ScottK Home Stretch - 03/02/04 02:08 AM
Well, I got the flywheel machined today and have the other misc parts. I'll put the rear seal / flywheel / clutch back in probably tonight.

I'm curious if anyone would be able to swing by any time this week just to help lift the tranny up and get a few bolts in it. Everything else I can work on myself, but there's no way I'd get that tranny back up without one or preferably two extra helpers.

It's funny, when I dropped off the flywheel the guy asked what it was from. I said Contour, he raised an eyebrow and asked "4 cylinder or 6?". I replied 6, and he said "You're a brave soul." Apparently it's one of there least favorite clutches to do
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 05:20 AM
wed. im off at 12:30pm I could come by after work if you wanted.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 05:41 AM
wed. im off at 12:30pm I could come by after work if you wanted.

That'd kick ass - my wife would be very happy to not have to cart me around anymore. I could probably be done with it completely by thursday night if it works out.

I'm thinking it takes 3 to get it back up - so hopefully Eric could swing by some time too?
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 06:06 AM
I could swing buy wed after work.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 06:17 AM

Sweet - just let me know what time is good and I'll make sure I'm here!
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 10:38 PM

Sweet - just let me know what time is good and I'll make sure I'm here!

The earlest, I dont realy want to drive to work. (sorento valey.) go home and then drive back to poway. But if i could hang out get lunch for an hour or two. that will work fine.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 11:21 PM
I can get out of work anytime (or just take the day off to finish the whole project) - so whenever is good for Eric will work for me.

Hopefully he's not working 'till too late?
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 11:23 PM
I try to come in early so I can get off early. I would like to see you car start tomorrow.

Where did you get the rear main oil seal and flywheel bolts?
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 11:44 PM
Perry Ford, down the road (full price )

Paid full price for my tie rod end there too.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/02/04 11:48 PM
Perry Ford, down the road (full price )

Just imagine what your bill would have been if you payed them full price for the labor
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 12:18 AM
It's funny - my service manual lists a lot of "disposable" parts like the axle circlips, the axle nuts, the ball joint pinch bolts, but says nothing about replacing the flywheel bolts.

The install procedure for the bolts is "tighten to 85 (##?) ft-lbs in an alternating pattern" or something of the sort - but no mention of a typical TTY procedure of tighten, loosen, retighten so maybe they went to TTY bolts on the later years?

I know my last shop didn't replace them - but that's not saying much since they reinstalled rounded bolts . Anyway - I'm planning to reuse the originals and use some threadlock on them. I also had an o-ring on the back of my throw out bearing, so I reused that but added some extra RTV just to be safe.
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 01:01 AM
Scott,

You have a brave soul. It is too much work to do this again. I don't think you will have any problems but, I wouldn't trust them. I was talking with Bill and he said that alot of customers didn't know they were TTY bolts. He has people call him all the time with a last minute order for bolts.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 01:28 AM
Scott,

You have a brave soul. It is too much work to do this again. I don't think you will have any problems but, I wouldn't trust them. I was talking with Bill and he said that alot of customers didn't know they were TTY bolts. He has people call him all the time with a last minute order for bolts.

Hmmm, I just re-read the service manual and there is no mention anywhere of new flywheeel bolts? Also the tightening procedure is NOT a typical TTY torque, back off, re-torque. I checked under the engine flywheel, transaxle and rear seal replacement procedures and all say the samee thing - so I'll take the chance I guess.

- Install -

2. Install flywheel and eight flywheel-to-crankshaft bolts. Tighten bolts to 112 N-m (83 lb-ft) in a criss-cross pattern.

Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 02:04 AM
Seems like it should be okay

link
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 04:53 AM

link

Yeah just rub it in my face . See if I come over tomorrow .
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 05:12 AM

link

Yeah just rub it in my face . See if I come over tomorrow .

Sorry - on one hand you have Bill who I'd never question and on the other you have warmonger and the service manual saying it's okay. Maybe you guys did the right thing and we're just pushing our luck?

I do have to go into work tomorow but could most likely get out after 1/2 a day. My work number is 858-385-3023, either give me a call or PM me here to see if we can set up a good time between the 3 of us.

Also - I want to double check - it takes quite a bit of "tapping" to seat the new rear main seal right? And once it's flush with the face of the block it's in far enough? My biggest fear is that my stupid 21 dollar oil seal will somehow fail and take out a weeks worth of work and the new clutch disk
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 05:31 AM
I'll call you before lunch,

What time should I expect the Limo to pick me up and bring me to your house?

LOL
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 05:41 AM
I'll call you before lunch,

What time should I expect the Limo to pick me up and bring me to your house?

LOL

If by Limo you mean a Grand Caravan full of crying kids, anytime you want.
Posted By: path914 Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 04:02 PM
You guys doing this today? If so, give me a call too. I got nothing going on after work and I want to show off my newly sanded headlights
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 07:27 PM
I'll be home from work around 1 - 1:30 at the latest. Not sure what time Harley and Eric will be over, but I'll be there.
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/03/04 07:42 PM
I think that harley is going over early. I won't be there until late 5:15ish
Posted By: FightinVikin Re: Home Stretch - 03/04/04 03:19 AM
I might be able to make it up tomorrow cause I don't have class, if you guys don't mind. Maybe I can finally get this 3L thing planned out.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/04/04 04:49 AM
Originally posted by FightinVikin:
I might be able to make it up tomorrow cause I don't have class, if you guys don't mind. Maybe I can finally get this 3L thing planned out.

Tomorow was today - we (Eric, Harley and I) got the tranny up and bolted in. BIG THANKS!!! guys - that thing is big and bulky and I can't imagine putting it up with one or even two people. I think I'll put the axles back in tonight and then leave it alone 'till tomorow.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/06/04 07:05 AM
Final post on this unless something goes wrong when I drive it.

Subframe went back up, tranny is filled, clutch is bled, ps is filled, steering column connected, tie rods, shocks, sway bar, ypipe and cat...

99% done other than rechecking important bolts. I do have to get a new pinch bolt for the ball joint - some of the threads were chewed up beyond reuse. Hopefully the dealer has them and it'll only be like 5 mintuess more work
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Home Stretch - 03/06/04 08:59 PM
congrats. And you sure did alot more work than me and eric. When we worked on my car. I wouldnt even get my tools out until eric showed up. So with that said when are we all going for a drive ?
Posted By: ScottK Re: Home Stretch - 03/06/04 10:45 PM
I got the pinch bolt today, it's off the jacks and started right up. I still had air in the clutch and scared myself "oh [censored] the clutch won't disengage"

I bled it again and it shifts good, but there was still some drag with the clutch pressed so I think I may have a bubble or two left to get out.

Thanks for your help again!!
© CEG Archives