Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 California Roads worth driving... - 12/07/03 06:21 AM
I've posted this site a couple times in the past, and I've decided to *sticky* this one...

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

I suggest donating at least $5 if you drive even one of these roads...

PayPal
Pay To:
mail@pashnit.com
Payment For:
California Motorcycle Roads

Be SAFE! and ENJOY!!!

Posted By: ScottK Re: great roads in California - 12/07/03 07:10 AM
It's only briefly mentioned in there - but for us San Diego guys, Highland Valley Rd off of Palomar (at the 15) kicks ass!!! If you've never driven it you need to go out tomorow and make the run - it can be a quick 20-30 minute trip, or an all day thing if you keep on going al the way out to Palomar.

Look out for crazy bikers and cars that don't know how to stay in a lane though! I swear some biker was layed over right on the divider, his helmet must have missed my mirror by no more than a foot...
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: great roads in California - 12/08/03 11:51 PM
im sure it isnt mentioned but the 14fwy leading up to the antelope valley from the 5fwy is great when there's no traffic...uphill most of the way with lots and lots of curves...my se wasn't the fastest going up but alot of others dont hang in the curves for very long

coming down is fun but more scary...u can hit 90-100 easy with lots of curves and chp
Posted By: ScottK Re: great roads in California - 12/09/03 03:40 AM
Originally posted by ScottK:
It's only briefly mentioned in there - but for us San Diego guys, Highland Valley Rd off of Palomar (at the 15) kicks ass!!! If you've never driven it you need to go out tomorow and make the run - it can be a quick 20-30 minute trip, or an all day thing if you keep on going al the way out to Palomar.

Look out for crazy bikers and cars that don't know how to stay in a lane though! I swear some biker was layed over right on the divider, his helmet must have missed my mirror by no more than a foot...

I should learn to type - palomar shouldd read pomerado
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: California Roads worth driving... - 04/10/04 02:52 AM
Busy in the summer, thus not always great for driving fast, but the view sure is great on Hwy 1:
Posted By: JB1 Re: California Roads worth driving... - 05/28/04 06:03 PM
oretga hwy when there is no traffic on a clear day. nice drive with a gorgeous view.
Posted By: path914 Re: California Roads worth driving... - 05/30/04 09:02 PM
I just got home from a great drive in San Diego. Take Hwy 94 East from Rancho San Diego and go all the way out to Potero near the Border across from Tecate. Also Hwy 78 from Escondido all the way up to Julian and South to Cuyamaca is another of my favorites.
Posted By: dmark101 Re: California Roads worth driving... - 07/02/04 06:07 PM
nice.

the upcoming drive through temecula is along some of the highways that site mentions.

so is the august event we have planned down in san diego as well. we'll go right through julian and up to palomar mountain.
Posted By: TheAlmightyMe Re: great roads in California - 07/02/04 09:22 PM
I drive that freeway every day. Too many CHP and not all that fun. Boquet Canyon between Santa Clarita and Antelope Valley is much more entertaining. You'll gain 10 pounds of muscle on your left leg too.
Posted By: luvmysvt_dup1 Re: great roads in California - 08/13/04 01:24 AM
The only problem with Bouquet now is more cops than ever since so many people moved up here. I'm personally a fan of the 210 and the 118, at the right times. Zoom zoom
Posted By: GoldTour Re: great roads in California - 08/13/04 05:57 PM
There is a nice back rode from Mt Baldy Village to Glendora on the other side of the mountains. I've only seen one cop up there and that was when the hills were freshly burnt. Just watch out for other drivers!
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: great roads in California - 11/08/04 11:25 PM
just to create more traffic - post here if you've driven any of these roads... or setup a meet!
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: great roads in California - 11/08/04 11:34 PM
Originally posted by GoldTour:
There is a nice back rode from Mt Baldy Village to Glendora on the other side of the mountains. I've only seen one cop up there and that was when the hills were freshly burnt. Just watch out for other drivers!

That's known as Glendora Ridge Road, or Glendora Mountain Road. It's a fun drive, mostly 2nd/3rd gear. It's only maintained like twice a year, so you also have to watch for loose dirt/sand/gravel. On the Glendora side, if you head down to Glendora instead of Azusa Canyon, you can sometimes run into photographers taking pictures of feature cars/motorcycles for magazines.
Posted By: hyperlitenerd Re: great roads in California - 12/02/04 07:03 AM
I've been enjoying 280 at night, then pagemill road is pretty fun at night as well. 17 could be alot of fun if you drove it alot and knew it well, dont drive it for the first time at night hehe so scary...
Posted By: Blackfoot Re: great roads in California - 07/14/05 08:37 AM
There's a road out here called the ?norweigen? grade, it's my favorite road. all twists and curves. Kanan/Dune on the way to the one from the 101 in agoura is pretty awsome drive too.
Posted By: d0tsplit Re: great roads in California - 08/08/05 02:02 AM
Hey if anyone is up north take the 121 towards lake berryessa. Anyone interested I live like 5 minutes away from the start. Its a two lane road that winds, and suggest taking it in the day. PM me for more details.
Posted By: DopePope Re: great roads in California - 08/08/05 05:38 AM
Originally posted by d0tsplit:
Hey if anyone is up north take the 121 towards lake berryessa. Anyone interested I live like 5 minutes away from the start. Its a two lane road that winds, and suggest taking it in the day. PM me for more details.

i can concur that this is a great road, it splits and the drive to napa is pretty good too. i actually prefer it at night as you can see when other cars are coming better, just my thoughts.
Posted By: DarthMuppet Re: California Roads worth driving... - 08/11/05 07:00 AM
Also if youre in the area, Hwy 101 from Crescent City to Arcata is a dream
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: California Roads worth driving... - 12/04/05 07:37 AM
Originally posted by DarthMuppet:
Also if youre in the area, Hwy 101 from Crescent City to Arcata is a dream

i did that this past summer, i agree - fun FUN drive just gotta be careful with the popo
Posted By: GilNewball Re: California Roads worth driving... - 12/04/05 02:19 PM
I love all roads in Palos Verdes in LA. Excellent views of the ocean, and Catalina, and when driving southboud from any of the roads there, you'll enter scenic San Pedro and LA Harbor.

I used to drive there a lot when I used to live there. Florida sucks. Guys, you may be persnickety about things in LA, but when you go away, you'll miss it all. I'm telling you by experience.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: California Roads worth driving... - 01/05/06 06:31 PM
who's hit some of these roads!?!?! any new stories??

i need new tires... i'm gettin old, i have 40K on one set of tires!!!
Posted By: svt4stv Re: California Roads worth driving... - 01/05/06 07:53 PM
wow. ive never actually read this thread and am suprised its so short. no mention of some of the really great roads around here..

Decker Canyon aka Hwy 138(?). its where we've had our two recent ceg runs. its pretty long. about 20 minutes or so to get through. pretty much all 2nd/3rd gear run with some crazy turns and no guardrails so dont get toooo crazy or youre goin over! one end is at PCH and the other turns into Thousand Oaks Blvd in Thousand Oaks. make sure you bring gas!!

Stunt Rd. i havent been there yet but i hear it runs into Decker Canyon about half way through. supposedly crazy/dangerous. a friend of a friend just (2 months ago) crashed his 06 Evo IX there.

Santa Susana Pass in Chatsworth. Its the first street you come to when exiting off of the 118 freeway. it will take you through the mountain all the way to Simi Valley. it lasts only about 10 minutes but is very fun. good traning ground. youll see a few hipo cars and bikes up there practicing. and unfortunately a few regular cars will get in the way too can be taken at a faster speed that the above mentioned since the turns arent so hairpin/blind. 2nd/3rd gear. i LOVE this road since its only minutes from my house. i test all my new gear there.

Topanga Canyon from Malibu to the valley. this would be the BEST road if it wasnt for all the [censored] traffic! unfortunately you can actually go through faster at night, but its more dangerous (naturally). unfortunately its more of a nice leisurely cruise most of the time.

Kanan Dume from Agoura to Zuma Beach. sweet road for some nice WOT driving but unfortunately filled with CHP and LASD! you almost always see someone in a fast car getting a ticket. near the end the lanes get wide and you can get to 4th/5th with no worries. LOTS of passing lanes

Malibu Canyon Ive only been to this one a few times. lots of twisties and was fun. pretty popular road so probably some traffic and po-po.

Angeles Crest Highway aka Hwy 22(iirc?) off of the 210 in Montrose, irrc. i met the Focus group for a spirited drive through this. VERY nice. some wide turns and long "straights". mixed driving. you can hit high speeds but look out for the occassional copper. upon our exit(return) one of my friends was pulled over speeding (and he couldnt even keep up with us!!) but was let go with just a warning. amazing views and youll see everything from high speed crotch-rockets to harleys to Lotus, hondas, mustangs, etc... there is a nice restaurant half way up that all the speed guys hang out. kinda like in the game "Road Rash" lol. the parking lot is almost like a car show. you can drive this road all the way to Palmdale if you like, which some did. i think this is where we should have our next SoCalCeg run.
Posted By: 111R Re: California Roads worth driving... - 01/05/06 08:08 PM
steve, decker canyon is rt 23 FYI (rt 23 south from 101)

i love topanga canyon but the traffic does suck, take OLD topanga canyon that interects in the middle of topanga and its even better! almost no traffic and it has even more insane off-camber turns.

Posted By: svt4stv Re: California Roads worth driving... - 01/05/06 08:20 PM
oh yeah. i was trying to remember what it was!
hwy 138 is "death ally" through Palmdale to the 15.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: California Roads worth driving... - 01/19/06 06:06 PM
I enjoyed driving to Bakersfield from LA early in the morning. Really pretty sunrise.

I also like driving from the San Fernando Valley (i.e. Woodland Hills) and taking the street to Culver City (where I used to live). Particularly at sunset.

Driving to Ventura County (NAWS Point Mugu) from Woodland Hills is also kinda cool, but it's REALLY LONG.

I also love PCH.

Long Beach is pretty at all hours, especially sunset.

From LA to Fontana early in the morning is also cool.

Palmdale is also nice. I have a few pics, actually. Have to post them.
Posted By: superrandomguy Re: California Roads worth driving... - 02/14/06 06:53 PM
For you guys that live in San Jose area...

Go down 680 to milpitas...take the Caleveras exit towards the mountains...and just keep going. Then take a left on Caleveras when it branches off...

You'll end up in Sunol 30 mins later...it's one of the scariest roads in the area because it's only 1 lane 80% of the time and half the areas dont have guard rails!

theres also a nice view of a resivoir so bring a camera...5 mins away from home and its like a different world!

Expect to waste 1/4 tank of gas and make sure you have good tires...it's REALLY windey.

The first time I drove it a mazda protege was keeping up with me...
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: California Roads worth driving... - 09/01/06 09:58 PM
any new roads found since February?
© CEG Archives