Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bradSVT Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/19/06 06:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone can pass smog with an open air filter intake. I have to get my car smogged before i take it apart to do my 3L swap.

Thanks
Posted By: superrandomguy Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/19/06 06:29 PM
just make sure theres a CARB sticker on it...haha

from my experience...its usually just visual failiure for having an aftermarket cai..

Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/19/06 06:47 PM
No,

you need to put the stock intake back on. It will fail visual.

Posted By: bradSVT Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/19/06 06:57 PM
Alright good thing I kept that somewhere.

Thanks for the quick help!
Posted By: path914 Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/19/06 07:40 PM
Actually, you can legally pass with an open air filter as long as all of the sensors are in their stock location. CARB doesn't apply as long as the modifications are still being monitored by the OBD sensors in the stock locations. So a CAI will fail as they usually move the MAF and sensors, but an open air filter in the stock location will be fine.

I left my K&N on all three times I had my car smogged (at three different locations) with no problems at all.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/19/06 08:18 PM
ive always passed smog with an open filter no problem. no carb stickers or nuttin.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/19/06 11:32 PM
I got turned away for my filter once, they let me go change it back to stock before doing the test. They said it would fail right off the bat unless there was a CARB number on it. Maybe they were just being overzealous?
Posted By: path914 Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/19/06 11:37 PM
Most likely they just did not know the laws completely. With CARB being such a royal pain in the rear, many places will error on the side of caution. Then again, many other places will look the other way for just about anything for the right $, so it goes both ways.

Heck, I still have the CARB sticker that I got with my old Ranger's K&N drop in that I could just slap on anything. Well, if I still owned a car that is...
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/20/06 02:26 AM
my SVT failed a visual with the KKM, but it pretty much all depends on 'who' you go to... if you pick jim bob's SMOG station it will probably be less of an issue than if you go to a state funded station

lucky me, my Injen CAI has a CARB Plate - i hope it works!
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/21/06 10:53 PM
Failed smog today...

I swapped out my SHO-Shop intake for the stock one then took it in to get tested.

Comprehensive Visual Inspection: PASS
Functional Check: FAIL
Emissions Test: PASS

I failed because I unhooked my battery from the car to swap out the intakes. They needed old records of my driving... Now I have to drive around 40 miles and get it retested. Also use up my lunch break again
Posted By: path914 Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/22/06 05:17 AM
Yup, they require a full driving cycle to be logged on the computer. This prevents people with CELs from just resetting the computer and not throwing a code.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/23/06 12:33 AM
You'll have to drive more than forty miles, I went through this a while ago. Look up OBDII driving cycles.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/23/06 01:19 AM
I passed!

I drove 50 highway miles. So I suppose it ended up being enough. What a waste of two lunch breaks though.

Now out the engine goes!
Posted By: vcontoursvt_dup1 Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/23/06 03:18 AM
I passed my SMOG test here in San Carlos with my RU-3530 howling away.

I guess it ultimately depends on where you go...although I sure was nervous.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/23/06 03:57 AM
The guy who inspected my car seemed like he didnt want me to pass. He went and looked at everything with his flash light and was asking me questions because he thought my car was all after market.

He had never seen an svt contour so he thought it was a contour with a body kit. He did smile though when he pushed on the gas

I just hope in two years after all my stuff is on i will be able to pass again.
Posted By: Matty K Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/23/06 05:02 PM
I failed with my KKM... but I went to "proper" places. Also, we reset our Jeep's CEL, drove it to the station (10 miles), and it passed. Is the logging a new thing?

Also, anyone know if I can smogged early? I'm about to do heavy renovations to the 'Tour.
Posted By: path914 Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/23/06 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Matty K:
I failed with my KKM... but I went to "proper" places. Also, we reset our Jeep's CEL, drove it to the station (10 miles), and it passed. Is the logging a new thing?

Also, anyone know if I can smogged early? I'm about to do heavy renovations to the 'Tour.

Again, you SHOULD have passed with your KKM if the place you took it knew the laws correctly. My understanding is that the current smog testing machines will not be able to run the test unless your car has a full driving cycle logged in the computer, so who knows with your Jeep?

Posted By: Matty K Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/23/06 07:32 PM
Yeah, really.... is there a good reference site with smog and CARB laws? Also, anyone know about going about 9 months early to be re-smogged?
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/24/06 07:31 AM
I learned that, you have to get your car smogged every two years after the date in which your car was made. Mine was a 98, so 2006 would be a year i would need a smog test. I dont know about doing it early, but if its in your year for the test it migth be aloud. I would go talk to your insurance maybe or DMV. I talked to my insurance because its alot faster.
Posted By: svt4b Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/26/06 10:01 PM
forget to cycle eh?! doesnt that suck
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 06/26/06 10:26 PM
Its all ok now. And my engine is in the process of being taken out!

only if I knew what I was doing
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Smog with Open Air Filter - 07/05/06 02:24 PM
a smog is good for 90 days. if youre car will be under the knife, just pay for the registration and get the smog whenever your car is ready. you wont get fined or anything if youve already paid for the registration. and yes, it can still pass after the 3L is put in. just DONT, i repeat DONT, tell the shop that it is not the motor that came in the car!!!! there are strict requirements that are supposed to be met when a motor swap has been done. my mechanic looked into it (he does smog). he said if hadnt known that i was doing a motor swap he would have the thought it was the stock motor for it, although he originally thought they were 4 bangers but youve seen my car, it easily looks like the factory motor to the unknowing eye.
© CEG Archives