Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Contour1998 speeding ticket - 05/13/06 09:49 PM
Got my first speeding ticket in 12 yrs. She claimed I was going 68 in 55 speed limit. I saw her from a distance and saw my speedometer when I was going barely after 60...say around 61-62mhp. I argued with her that I wasnt going that fast. She said she clocked me and would prove it. I asked her to show me the radar laser gun first. She wouldnt show it to me until I sign the ticket first. I asked her AGAIN to show it to me before I sign. She refuse to until I sign FIRST she said. So I signed and she showed me. Then I argued with her that she probably clocked a vehicle going downhill that just passed me as I was going up hill. Besides I was speeding at that speed to pass a slow moving vehicle for under 1/4 when she pulled me over. Should I just pay for the ticket for fight for it????
Posted By: SVTGT350 Re: speeding ticket - 05/13/06 10:03 PM
Just pay it and take traffic school. Much easier that fighting it and it won't have an effect on your insurance. Remember that the only way you will win in traffic court is if the officer fails to show. The judge will most always side with the officer. Also if you do go to traffic court and lose you may not be able to take traffic school.
Posted By: TheFordGuy Re: speeding ticket - 05/14/06 12:11 AM
Was it radar or laser? There are technical ways to beat these tickets, but you would have to be a pro in the courtroom, and have all bases covered in the proof and info areas.

Either way, he is right. You are probably better off just paying the fine and take traffic school, especially since you've been good for 12 years! Impressive.

Greg
Posted By: bradSVT Re: speeding ticket - 05/14/06 03:09 AM
Looks like you need some advice;
Go to this site and read www.ticketassassin.com

It could help ALOT.

I wish I had less finals to study this site. It has many ways to get out of tickets and fight them once you get them.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: speeding ticket - 05/14/06 06:38 AM
good luck...

i am fighting my first ticket (20 years driving) - long story...

i sent my paperwork in, didn't feel like spending 1/2 day in court - 11 pages altogether to state my case. they cashed my check, so we'll see what happens next!
Posted By: 111R Re: speeding ticket - 05/14/06 07:11 AM
99.99% of the time it should be radar. i have heard from my local audio shop, and from others, that ALL chp's use laser and i think its bs. [censored] man bout the ticket.

-a
Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 05/14/06 07:35 PM
I completely disagree with some of the opinions stated above. With all due respect, I fight every ticket I receive and have yet to lose a single one that I have taken to court. My experience has been that 50% of the time the cop does not show and the ticket is dismissed. The other 50% of the time I have merely told my side of the story in a pleasent, respectful manner, never complaining about the cop or insinuating that they did their job wrong in any way.

90% of what matters in court is your attitude IMHO. Come to court dressed professionally, without a bad attitude or anger and state that you were driving at a speed that you felt was reasonable and prudent for the existing traffic and weather conditions.

I've been fighting tickets in this manner for the past 5 years or so (before I just did the pay and traffic school thing) and have gotten out of 4-5 tickets in this manner. Your main problem in your situation is that you argued with the LEO and she is therefore more likely to take the time out of her schedule to show up to court and you can bet that she will remember you and your situation. I try to be as polite and forgettable as possible. I've had LEOs show up to court and not remember me at all and only be able to go off of the information on the ticket they wrote.

My long-winded .02...
Posted By: DarthMuppet Re: speeding ticket - 05/15/06 03:29 AM
Also one thing to always ask once the situation elevates to arguing is they ARE in fact legally responsible to show you your clocked speed. They are ALSO required to show proof that it was calibrated at the start of the day. All laser/radar guns are required to be calibrated every 24 hours or they are invalid. Its something they are required to log so if they cant show you that than you are in a much better position. Once again, only bring this up if you KNOW you are getting a ticket and theres no other way. They dont take too kindly to it.
Posted By: TheFordGuy Re: speeding ticket - 05/15/06 05:44 AM
I was just going to bring up the calibration issue. Good point!

Greg
Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 05/15/06 02:10 PM
Actually that is untrue for the radar guns at least, I don't know about the laser. Radar guns in CA are required to be calibrated and certified every 90 days last I heard. Many still are not within this window, so it is still something I would check on. The last calibration date should be listed somewhere on the gun. I would ask the officer to show you the date if you are already asking to see the clocked speed.
Posted By: svt4b Re: speeding ticket - 05/15/06 05:48 PM
fighting it is a good option especially if you have things going for you like in this case...but if you plead guilty and then lose later you will get 100% of the fine and all additional charges which is the downside...if you lose or give in to the system do traffic school at fun4ufast2.com . i just did that recently and it only cost $20 and took about 2 hours vs 8 hrs with some crazy old man in a marriot hotel room!! oh yeah and *edited*
Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 05/15/06 07:18 PM
Bypassing the censors is against forum rules and will not be tolerated in such a blatant manner. Let's keep this on topic please.
Posted By: Contour1998 Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 01:00 AM
Its been nearly 3 weeks since my ticket and have not received the bill in the mail. Should I worry? How long does it normally takes?
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Contour1998:
Its been nearly 3 weeks since my ticket and have not received the bill in the mail. Should I worry? How long does it normally takes?

it took 3 weeks for mine :S

also, i still haven't heard back from my written trial... i submitted it on 4/28 - almost a month!

anyone know how long the cop has to respond? it's been almost 2 months since the ticket!
Posted By: svt4b Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 05:27 AM
ive had them take months to get to me
Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 02:18 PM

The court has no obligation to send you a "bill". It is merely a courtesy notice reminding you of your court date and offering you the chance to plead guilty and pay a lesser fine by not going to court. They usually come within 3-4 weeks, but even you do not receive a notice, you are still obligated to show up to court on the date specified by the ticket.

If you are not already aware, you can go in to the court at any point before your assigned date and pay your fine to the clerks office.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me, I have spent quite a bit of time dealing with traffic violations over the years and can answer most questions.
Posted By: Contour1998 Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 03:29 PM
"I have spent quite a bit of time dealing with traffic violations over the years and can answer most questions"

LOL..sounds like youre trouble driver. how much would I be paying for a ticket going 68 according to the [censored] police on a 55mph highway?
Posted By: DarthMuppet Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 04:26 PM
I got one for doing 90 in a 65 and it was Approx $250 +20 for traffic school. It was alot less than I was expecting but it couldve been worse. Worst part was it was during the 2 hours I had unplugged my radar detector to charge my phone. I have since purchased a multi port adapter so that I can do both. Live and learn.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 04:44 PM
i would just pay the damn ticket you were speeding. fighting it just makes it worst.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 06:18 PM
Originally posted by contourfreak22:
i would just pay the damn ticket you were speeding. fighting it just makes it worst.

That�s what most people do. But if it is your second offense in a certain amount of time period it is going to be a point unless you fight it.

Most people just pay, when you fight a ticket the rate of succeeding is very high.
Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 05/30/06 10:40 PM
"I have spent quite a bit of time dealing with traffic violations over the years and can answer most questions"

LOL..sounds like youre trouble driver. how much would I be paying for a ticket going 68 according to the [censored] police on a 55mph highway?

The cost of violations vary according to the city where you were cited. Some areas can be more than twice the cost of others in California. 13mph over the posted limit is a minor offense and should be under $125 in most areas. Usually cost goes up substantially at 15mph and 20mph over.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: speeding ticket - 05/31/06 12:16 AM
Originally posted by svt4b:

that sucks, they give you < 1 month to follow process and they don't follow process at all
Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 05/31/06 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Toadster:

that sucks, they give you < 1 month to follow process and they don't follow process at all

Like I posted above, they are not required to send you anything, it is simply a courtesy notice. You know that you got written a citation and it says the date right on it. All the notice does is remind you of the date and list your options of dealing with it.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: speeding ticket - 05/31/06 06:11 PM
Originally posted by path914:

Like I posted above, they are not required to send you anything, it is simply a courtesy notice. You know that you got written a citation and it says the date right on it. All the notice does is remind you of the date and list your options of dealing with it.

yes, but when i submit a 'declaration by written trial' i have to have my paperwork mailed 5-days prior to my court date - and i haven't heard back from them in a month!

does anyone know how long the cop has to respond to a written declaration?
Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 05/31/06 10:46 PM
Originally posted by path914:

yes, but when i submit a 'declaration by written trial' i have to have my paperwork mailed 5-days prior to my court date - and i haven't heard back from them in a month!

does anyone know how long the cop has to respond to a written declaration?

Sorry, I didn't realize what you were referring to. The court does not have a specified amount of time in which they need to notify you of their decision, but one month is pretty quick. I would assume that they give the officer at least that long to respond. I would expect a timeframe of 6-9 weeks.

Here is some basic info:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/documents/tr200.pdf#search='california%20trial%20by%20declaration'
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: speeding ticket - 05/31/06 11:26 PM
Quote:

After the clerk receives the Request for Trial by Written Declaration, the clerk will notify the officer who issued you the citation. The officer will be given an opportunity to submit a declaration regarding the citation by a specified due date. You will be notified by mail of the court's decision.

no timeframe
Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 06/01/06 01:28 AM
Quote:

After the clerk receives the Request for Trial by Written Declaration, the clerk will notify the officer who issued you the citation. The officer will be given an opportunity to submit a declaration regarding the citation by a specified due date. You will be notified by mail of the court's decision.

no timeframe

Nope. The one time that I did a trial by declaration the officer never bothered to write a response so it was dismissed. I was notified about 6 weeks after my court date and issued a check for the ticket amount.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: speeding ticket - 06/20/06 02:28 AM
YAY!! they sent me the court notice that the cop didn't contest the ticket!!!

$227 check back in my wallet!!

now if i could only sue for the loss in bank interest and get that back too
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: speeding ticket - 06/20/06 02:55 AM

What are you a [censored] bean counter?

Posted By: path914 Re: speeding ticket - 06/20/06 04:59 AM
Congrats, once again proving that it is worth fighting any and all tickets...
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: speeding ticket - 06/20/06 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Fmr12B:

What are you a [censored] bean counter?

LOL - well, if you think about it, the court has a pretty lucrative setup... they get your money - hold it for 4-6 weeks, and make profit off the interest...
© CEG Archives