Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Matty K Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/21/05 03:28 AM
Ok kids, here's the official thread!

This Sunday, July 24th, we're meeting at 11 AM in the Ralph's parking lot on Lincoln Blvd southbound in Marina Del Rey. The address is listed below. This Ralph's is directly at the west mouth of Rt. 90.... actually, if you come 90 west, I believe you'll need to make a U-turn to get into the lot. It's right next to a large apartment complex.

We'll be meeting at 11 AM, and hanging out for a half an hour to make sure the group is all there.

From there, we will be going north on Lincoln to the beginning of PCH, and continue north on PCH into Malibu. In Malibu, we will switch over to Rt. 23 eastbound. Rt. 23 is a very twisty canyon road, but tends to get some traffic. For the run through, I STRONGLY reccommend making it a slow cruise. At the conclusion of 23, there's on-ramps for the 101, and a large shopping complex. This would be a good place to park... we can put the cars together for photos, chill, whatever. From there, people can make runs back through the canyon in smaller groups... I believe there's talk of filming, which would be facilitated by smaller groups. Naturally, when it's all said and done, we split... 101 north, 101 south, back through the canyon, wherever.

Of course, activities are open for debate... I'm not planning this, just trying to keep it together.

The other debate is food: Steve showed us a restaurant on PCH that looked good, I'm just concerned about size/parking. There was also a few fast-food-y type joints at the shopping complex at the conclusion of the cruise. Thoughts?

But the definate:
We're meeting at 11 AM, 7/24/05, at this Ralph's:

4311 Lincoln Blvd.
Marina del Rey, CA

And I'll be there:

1) Matt
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/21/05 03:36 AM
Quote:

1) Matt
2) Chbix (chris)
3) Joel (chbix brother
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Originally posted by chbix:
Quote:

1) Matt
2) Chbix (chris)
3) Joel (chbix brother
4) Steve (chbix fellow CEGer).....a few possible flaky friends
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Posted By: 111R Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/21/05 06:15 AM
Originally posted by svt4stv:
Quote:

1) Matt
2) Chbix (chris)
3) Joel (chbix brother
5) Ary (111R)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

ohhh so nowwwww we are hitting rt. 23 up?? i knew you had it in you.

people unfamiliar with the road you have to take it slow and expect traffic and rock slides. damn wish i had a video camera...
Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/21/05 06:32 AM
I will be bringing the same video camera again. Along with a nice camera and a nice tripod.

I am also looking to try and set something up inside the car as well.....hmmm
Ary: Weren't we always? :P

We'll go through it slow the first time, but after we stop (where I parked when I got a ride in the Lotus), we can always re-run it a bit more, um, spirited.

Although, if this is it for a head count, all bets may be off....
Posted By: 111R Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/21/05 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Matty K:
Ary: Weren't we always? :P

We'll go through it slow the first time, but after we stop (where I parked when I got a ride in the Lotus), we can always re-run it a bit more, um, spirited.

Although, if this is it for a head count, all bets may be off....

ouch, well keep us posted if it will happen or not.

if we re-run 23 a bit more spirited i wouldnt mind having a camera man sitting shot-gun for sh*ts & giggles
I'm going to try to make it, all depends on if I feel better or not. More to come in the next 48 hours.

~C
Apologies Ary, I meant all bets are off as in the first pass through 23 may not be a slow cruise . The meet's happening even if it's just me by my lonesome.
Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/21/05 06:10 PM
You wont be alone matty. Did you get your wheel bearing fixed?

I am having some reservations about running this weekend. I think I need to do the water pump and tranny fluid change this sat just to be safe.
Car's in the shop as we speak... err, type.
Do you have a little more detail about where you will meet in Westlake? That is where the 23 (called Westlake Blvd at this point) and the 101 meet.

I won't be able to drive down to Marina Del Rey (family and church commitments) but I should be able to swing by if you know where and roughly when on the upper end. I live nearby in Thousand Oaks.

Be careful on the 23 (Decker Canyon, part of Mulholland Highway, and part of Westlake Blvd). There are parts of it that are treacherous.
Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/22/05 05:56 AM
does anyone want the full copy of the 13 min video taken last week at pre run?
sure, if there's more footage of my car than the itsy bitsy appearance on the clips you posted.

my buddy with the 3rd gen wont be able to make it this weekend so he'll be riding shotgun in my car with my camcorder. anybody else going to do the same? we can combine the vids to make one nice dvd.
Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/22/05 03:33 PM
well I was riding in mattys SVT and with his wheel bearing he was taking it semi easy. We just couldnt keep up so unfortunately what you see is about all that we got of your car and hte lotus.

I am going to try and rig something up saturday to mount a camcorder, and my brothers GF will be maining the one I brought last time in his stang.
Latest updates:

I had the waterpump replaced. It turned out to be the original, so not a bad idea (75k miles). The clunk when I turn the wheel all the way over is a minor tear in the CV boot. So, at some point, I'll need to do that axle. However, after the car left the shop yesterday, I smelled burning coolant. I got it home, and the engine is spewing coolant from somewhere high up on the block. So, I rushed the car back to them, and there it sits. More updates to follow.

Again, the meets gonna happen, even if I'm rollerblading.
Jim: Not sure what time we'll be at Westlake; it all depends on what we do for food and how quickly we take Decker. Ball park of maybe 1:30 to 3ish? The complex I'm thinking of is at the southwest corner of Westlake and the 101 (S). There's a gas station at the corner, and a big lot behind it, with a Wells Fargo bank and some other stuff.

My car is up and running again... a bypass hose wasn't secure, fell into the belt, and had a hole burned into it. Hence rubber AND coolant smells.
Originally posted by 111R:
Quote:

1) Matt
2) Chbix (chris)
3) Joel (chbix brother
5) Ary (111R)
6) Robert (LoFocus)
7)
8)
9)
10)

btw Matt, there isnt a link on the original post to this one. you should add it to the begining of the tread. the only way i found this tread was by searching for 7/24 .

Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/22/05 11:34 PM
glad to hear matt, I will be doing my WP stuff tonight. Was going to do the trans fluid change but decided to wait. Anyway im excited and ready to go.
Chris's Focus story is a good one.

I added a post to the other thread.... although you shouldn't have had to search, they're literally right on top of each other.

Here's the list, copied over:

Rasta Roster:
1) Matt (Matty K, duh)
2) SVT4STV
3) Jose 3rd gen SHO
4)Chris 96 SE
5)Joel 2004 Mustang GT (my brother)
6)RealLazySVT
7)Ary (111R)
8) Robert (LoFocus)
9)
10)
Additional info:

The meeting place is on the corner of Lincoln and Maxella/Marina Pointe... it's Maxella on the east side of Lincoln, and Marina Pointe on the west. You can actually turn onto Marina Pointe, and turn into the rear end of the lot.

If you come down the 90 W, you will need to get all the way left immediately after the exit to make the left onto Marina Pointe. Otherwise, just go past and pull a U-turn.

Matty K's To-Do list:

1) Re-Flash ECU
2) Finish Painting Interior Pieces_Done.
3) Install interior pieces_Done.
4) Install Sub & Amp_Done.
5) Get the car into a shop for a waterpump_Done.
6) Warsh the car_Tomorrow morning
7) Oil Change_Later or tomorrow morning

Ok, doing aight so far.

Chad, dude..... You alive?
Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/23/05 08:11 PM
Chris's to do list.

Oil change... done about a month ago
Performance Brake pads...done last weekend
Install CD player for kick ass tunes.....done last weekend
New water pump just to be safe.... done last night
new thermostat.....dont last night
new resivoir.....dont last night.

Burn Last weeks run onto cd for 111r
Burn cds for drive

Basically I was having some temperature issues, so I decided that since it was a pre98 i have, that I was better off to replace the pump now at 85k miles, then wait for it to fail.

So I pulled off the old water pump, and its a stupid metal impellar already. After my initial fit about having a good one on thre and wasting time, it was aparant that the metal impellar old one had been on there for some time. So i reaplaced it anyway with a new black plastic one. new thermostat and everything seems good to go.
Chris's to do list.
Install CD player for kick ass tunes.....done last weekend

DAMMIT DUDE! I can't compete with kick ass tunes!

Can you burn me a copy of the run, as well?

-Matt ( )
Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/23/05 11:24 PM
yeah ill get you a copy of the movie as well. Im pissed about the stereo its messed up at higher volume but still got some tunes to carve the mountain
Not going to make it, still too sick to go out and play.

I'll make the next one, for sure. Maybe we outta make this a once a month thing?

Have fun boys, BE SAFE!

My Best,

~C
steve's to do list.
1. wake up
2. eat cereal
3. relocate crap from inside of car to trunk
4. drive to marina del ray

i had a couple of things i wanted to do but its too damned hot
Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/24/05 04:01 AM
My list is completed.

put new belt, fixed battery terminal, washed car, checked fluids. Got the directions again, im at my moms, so when I get home burn my mixes and the 2 cds of last weeks trip for Ary and matt as requested.

Got the 2-ways and video/camera ready as well.]

see you guys in about 13 hours.
steve's to do list.
1. wake up
2. eat cereal
3. relocate crap from inside of car to trunk
4. drive to marina del ray

i had a couple of things i wanted to do but its too damned hot

hay this was my list too, except for #3.

although i washed my car, as svt4stv said its too damned hot to do anything!
Originally posted by ChadEbert:
Not going to make it, still too sick to go out and play.

I'll make the next one, for sure. Maybe we outta make this a once a month thing?

Have fun boys, BE SAFE!

My Best,

~C

Feel better Chad! I would definately make this a once-a-month dealy!

Matty K's To-Do list:

1) Re-Flash ECU_Tomorrow morning
2) Finish Painting Interior Pieces_Done.
3) Install interior pieces_Done.
4) Install Sub & Amp_Done.
5) Get the car into a shop for a waterpump_Done.
6) Warsh the car_Tomorrow morning
7) Oil Change_Done.

See everyone tomorrow!

Matt: 310.902.2821

nice cruise today guys....AWESOME ROAD!!
lets do it again.

heres the pics i took. (click on the pics to enlarge)
http://www.realbigfamily.com/photogallery/listpics.asp?dir=Videos%5C05%2D07%2D24%5FPCH%5FCanyon%5FCruise
those pics suck
i knew we should have parked in the sun. I told y'all!

i guess we'll just all have to meet again to take some more.
Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/25/05 03:40 PM
I see how it is, you take the group picture after I leave..

Did you guys do any more runs?

I apologize for having to leave early, that calamari I had at the restraunt has tore me up, thinking food poison, but not sure, I only threw up once and that was after about 2 hours after I got home at 6 ish, its more coming out the other end (I know TMI) any way im thinking its a combination of the food and being in the sun so long.

It was fun guys, Focus guys your cars look awsome, (i am terrible with names but I think its paul in the SVT and robert in the other?) and the Sho guy (think your name was Jose?) that car is a beast and now I am on a mission to find one. Ary, matt, steve, it was a pleasure as always (or should I say twice.)

Big Jim, its an honor to meet you, and your SVT tour is clean. Glad you were able to meet up.

I would definately like to make this a regular thing, maybe every 2 or 3 months. But find different routes and roads.

I pushed the tour a little bit harder than I should have, should have gotten new tires, and definately should get the sway bar, strut brace, and some new suspension. On one turn I went way wide and had to change my pants afterward. The car was sliding all over the place. I was impressed at the same time with what I was able to do given the stock status of my car. I am still a little hesitant about going full out and pushing this car as its my DD but I enjoy the need. I am also contemplating the redline event at the end of august. at willow springs.

Who amoung you here would go? I am going to start a new thread and see.

as posted in the Willow spings/ca speedway thread I posted, the guy at redline will offer a discount if enough people sign up.
Posted By: 111R Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/25/05 06:20 PM
i had a great time! the drive was great and i love seeing all the cars in one spot! i must say Jim has the most beautiful contour i have ever seen! if you ever plan on selling it Jim, PLEASE let me know

sorry about the group picture chris, it was a last minute type of thing, and we just sat around and chatted for a while and did not go on another run.

i am very much in favor for meeting again on a regular basis going for a drive, but certianly open for looking for other roads even if it is just in malibu.

speaking of willowsprings, my father and i think we are going, but when we went to fontana speed ventures (www.speedventures.com) hosted it and it will be more expensive but they are very nice and horribly professional. so we are still at odd's when we are going and with what group. speed ventures is on a earlier date and is a bit more expensive (150 flat fee that may include luch/drinks and 30 minutes of track time and most likely you can go much longer if you wish).

great time in the canyon! would love to rip around the track sometime soon!

oh and chris thanks for that heavily scratched disk; it played perfectly on my pc! (go figure). i especially loved the in-car commentary... maybe your new future carrer? nice video!

look forward to seeing all of you at a track or another meet and greet for another great drive! maybe one day i will bring norton along for some fun lol

-ary

look forward to seeing all of you at a track or another meet and greet for another great drive! maybe one day i will bring norton along for some fun lol

-ary

norton??
BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Good times everyone, thanks so much. My tune settled in on the way home... wow. There is a serious difference in the way the car drives now, and man, is it cool.

What's that fabulous looking car behind that green turd?
Posted By: 111R Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/26/05 05:41 AM

lol who is that dude?

btw this is norton - he likes to drive around sometimes with me. but he loves to go on walks on a leash

matty - what exactly did you preprogram again? what differences could you see/feel? just curious
I put a custom tune into the ECU... so new fuel curves, etc.

The powerband feels much fatter: I'm going through the gears way faster than I did before, and the car jumps foward at upshifts. Also, I can put it into a higher gear at lower speed without having to clutch like crazy.
Posted By: 111R Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/26/05 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Matty K:
I put a custom tune into the ECU... so new fuel curves, etc.

The powerband feels much fatter: I'm going through the gears way faster than I did before, and the car jumps foward at upshifts. Also, I can put it into a higher gear at lower speed without having to clutch like crazy.

hmmm interesting... let me know if it has any effect on gas consumption... i probably should buy one of those things just to read computer errors
Dude, on those roads, Norton = projectile kitty.

Chris, good videography. There were a few humorous moments:

C: "Oops, gave him a scare."

The whole time: "We need petrol!"

As we roll up to a traffic light and Ary and Steve line up:
Me: "Uh oh."
C: "What? Oh, oh [censored]."

Posted By: chbix Re: Official SoCal Cruise Thread; 7/24 @ 11 AM - 07/27/05 04:10 PM
new career for me . I wished we had gotten up to the canyon road sooner, would have liked to gotten another run in and set up some camera locations.

Anyway had a great time.
So sorry I missed all the fun.

Well, I'm FINALLY well enough and back to work. Nice little week off I had to get well.

Is there anyone interested in doing this again in 3-4 weeks? I'm bummed I missed the first one and would love to do one. We can pick a new course, maybe a PCH cruise in OC? Just an idea. Let me know.

Thanks!

~C
Of course! The weekend of 8/27-8/28 is out for me, but anything else should be ok.
OK, I'll start braining up something. Look for a thread sooner than later!

~C

hmmm interesting... let me know if it has any effect on gas consumption... i probably should buy one of those things just to read computer errors

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but the verdict is in... after two tanks, highway driving remains unaffected, but city driving dropped 1-2 mpg. As such, I'll re-tune it until the gas prices drop some... good thing the whole process takes 20 seconds .

Still recommend it though.
© CEG Archives