Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I'm going to be heading up to either Iron Range rec area or Spider Lake one of these weekends and didn't know if there was anybody with a 4x4 that wanted to go with. The cost there to go on the trails is free, but your vehicle has to be registered as an ORV (off road vehicle) at the DMV first and that costs $38.50 for 3 years in MN.

This is just what I drive, probably not what we will be doing (that took be a week to get like 80% of that mud off
Dude, that its awesome!! I just had a friend go up there. Him and a bunch of Jeep Liberty owners went up to Gilbert (I think the Iron Range Rec Area)

Anyways heres a link to some pics from his adventure. Is this one of the areas you were looking to go to??

Off-Road Trip
That is exactly what I'm looking to do. That looks awesome, but right now, the only person I know with a decent four wheel drive doesn't want to go because it will cost him too much gas or something like that. This is why I wanted to know if there was someone else on here that wanted to go with. You'll have to get ahold of him and ask if he wants to go there again
I'll check it out for ya. He's the only guy in our group of friends who really likes off-roading, so he is always looking for someone to go with him. I'll let you know what he says, and if he is planning on going up there again.

BTW, where are you located. He is here in Duluth, so its a quick trip up there for him.
I'm in Rochester so its not just a quick trip for me. Let me know what he says because I would like to find out a little more info on what I have to do, when I can do it, ect.
Remeber that it is closed during deer hunting! and make sure you go to the whitling bird while you are up here...you will need to make reservations. And there is a new (BIG) car wash in gilbert, you should check it out when you are done.
Firearm
Zone 1 Nov. 5 - 20
Zone 2 Nov. 5 - 13
Zone 3A Nov. 5 - 11
Zone 3B Nov. 19 - 27
Zone 4A Nov. 5 - 6
Zone 4B Nov. 12 - 15
Metro Deer Zone(Permit Areas 228 and 337) Nov. 5 - 27
Early Antlerless Season (Permit areas 209, 210, 225, 227, 236, 252, 256, 257) Oct. 15 - 16
NW Youth Season Oct. 22 - 23
Muzzleloader Nov. 26 - Dec. 11

I have no clue what dates we can't go. I'll have to give them a call Thursday or Friday
Originally posted by elraido:
Remeber that it is closed during deer hunting! and make sure you go to the whitling bird while you are up here...you will need to make reservations. And there is a new (BIG) car wash in gilbert, you should check it out when you are done.

Is this Whitling bird a restaurant or something?
Yup! Best resteraunt in the area. It is a funky little jamacian place right in downtown gilbert. The owner is actually from Jamaca too. People actually come up from the cities just to eat there. When they were filming North Country up here Charlize Theron went there ALL the time. The really really really good items are Hawiian Teryiaki Steak, Cocanut Shrimp, or the mediteranian medly. But just to warn you, it does cost $10 and up for dinner. I would have to say it averages $15/plate + beverages.
Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:
Firearm
Zone 1 Nov. 5 - 20
Zone 2 Nov. 5 - 13
Zone 3A Nov. 5 - 11
Zone 3B Nov. 19 - 27
Zone 4A Nov. 5 - 6
Zone 4B Nov. 12 - 15
Metro Deer Zone(Permit Areas 228 and 337) Nov. 5 - 27
Early Antlerless Season (Permit areas 209, 210, 225, 227, 236, 252, 256, 257) Oct. 15 - 16
NW Youth Season Oct. 22 - 23
Muzzleloader Nov. 26 - Dec. 11

I have no clue what dates we can't go. I'll have to give them a call Thursday or Friday

November 5-20th is deer hunting up here...so those would be the dates you can't go. (Zone 1)
Sounds like a good de-virginizing of my "X"
Originally posted by IWishIHadASVT:
Sounds like a good de-virginizing of my "X"

Definately a good way to break it in. Might want to take off those running boards first as well as some good tires. Judging by your current pictures, your X won't last too long on the harder trails.

These are the sneakers on my X
I would but I have the Snowplow and winter tires on the Bronco already ( Live 2 miles from the Iron-Range OHV park) I run 38x5x11x15 boggers in the summer. whistling bird resturant is pretty good but EVERYTIME I've gone there I end up waiting over an hour to get my food. Grandma's in Virgina is ALOT better.
Rancher, I sure hope the Grandmas in Virginia is better than the Grandmas in Duluth. I am not to fond of them. I've never been to Whistling bird, so I can't speak to that.

Anyways, he (Nick) hopes to be going soon, in fact he was installing a CB at the time for the next time he goes. He will let me know when he has more concrete plans, and I will pass them on to you. Or, I can give him your contact info, so he can get ahold of you directly. Either way, let me know. my guess is that it will have to be after deer season. By then you'll have lots of snow to go through as well!!
I guess I'm not sure what the weather will be like but the 26-27 weekend looks like a good time to go. I can still ask for it off and deer season will be done. Ask Nick if he will be willing to go with because as usual, the more the better
I will do. I'll let you know.

Plus, wouldn't bad weather make it more fun??
Originally posted by spacemonkey:
I will do. I'll let you know.

Plus, wouldn't bad weather make it more fun??

I have no clue, this is my first 4x4. First is was a 93 HP ranger, then my car, now my car plus the X so I guess I'll find out won't I
Rancher, I sure hope the Grandmas in Virginia is better than the Grandmas in Duluth. I am not to fond of them. I've never been to Whistling bird, so I can't speak to that.

I acutally like the one in duluth better then here. The last time I went here the food wasn't that good and they raised the prices on each plate by a buck or two.

I acutally like the one in duluth better then here. The last time I went here the food wasn't that good and they raised the prices on each plate by a buck or two.

Which one did you go to. The one in canal park is ok, I've only been to the one by the mall once, and the food was downright gross. I did go to the one in the West End, it was pretty good. Overall, the food at Grandma's is nothing exciting. They have ok food at ok prices. Plus, half of the resteraunts in town are owned by grandmas. They have such a stranglehold on the market, it makes it almost impossible for us to get chain resteraunts.(I.E Chilis, TGIF, etc.) Oh well. There are alot of good smaller ones in town, like Hacienda del Sol.
Man,

Hunting season is only 15 days? That sucks.

I will be wanting to go as soon as I move up there. Watch out, hoping to build an older Yoda when I get there.

E
Yup! Best resteraunt in the area. It is a funky little jamacian place right in downtown gilbert. The owner is actually from Jamaca too. People actually come up from the cities just to eat there. When they were filming North Country up here Charlize Theron went there ALL the time. The really really really good items are Hawiian Teryiaki Steak, Cocanut Shrimp, or the mediteranian medly. But just to warn you, it does cost $10 and up for dinner. I would have to say it averages $15/plate + beverages.

I can only imagine the comments of that pricing from many of the locals in the area!
Originally posted by leavethembanned:
Man,

I will be wanting to go as soon as I move up there. Watch out, hoping to build an older Yoda when I get there.

E

Those trucks normally don't have enough power to have any fun up here. There are lots and lots and lots of f-150 and silverados though.
Originally posted by leavethembanned:
Man,

E

Those trucks normally don't have enough power to have any fun up here. There are lots and lots and lots of f-150 and silverados though.

You have never seen an older Yoda with a small block 350 in it have you. Yoda's can hold their own with a 4 cyl. bartender at the local pub has a v6 with the TRD supercharger on it. That thing is sick.

If I could find on older late 70 4wd ford I would jump all over it. I miss driving my dad's all the time.
yeah...but a lot of the people around here have heavily built 460 fords and stuff like that. Not to mention no emissions means you can do whatever you want to to mod it.
Since I was being lazy as I am I still haven't called but by the looks of it I'm going to ask for the weekend of the 26th off. Spacemonkey, if you want to ask your friend if he would like to go, that'd be great. Let me know so I can pm you my cell number if all goes well.

BTW, here is my most recent clean picture of my X that I have. I still say not bad for $800. The next thing I'll do is probably a 3" body lift. Hehe, it damn near qualified for Jeff Foxworthy's redneck joke "If the tires on your truck cost more than your truck, you might be a redneck"

That is very impressive!! Especially for $800. Was it in that condition when you bought it, or did you give it some TLC?

Anywho, Nick said that date would possibly work, but he has a hard time scheduling more than 2 weeks in advance. (Which I personally don't get.) Anyway, my question is, are you planning on going even of he doesn't? I don't want you to make all these plans, and have him not be able to go. I will make sure to keep up on him, and try to pin him down. to a yes or a no.
yeah...but a lot of the people around here have heavily built 460 fords and stuff like that. Not to mention no emissions means you can do whatever you want to to mod it.

NO, Built 300 inline 6's, mine makes 232hp and 343ft-lb...... enough to spin my 38" boggers on the bronco, especially once I put the turbo on the 300-6.
I think my dads truck has that much hp stock. But then again a bronco weighs just a liiiiiitle bit less....and that is what counts when muddin. varooooooooooom
© CEG Archives