Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Midwest Meet Poll - 06/01/05 06:14 PM
OK guys and gals, in light of having gotten some positive feedback to put on an event this summer I thought I'd post up a few ideas for a meet here in Des Moines. The idea is to center on a weekend with things going on Friday night, Saturday and early on Sunday.

Currently I'm looking at centering the event around either a trip to the drag strip or an auto-x. There are two problems in that the nearest 1/4 mile is 2 hours north of Des Moines in Janesville, Iowa (Cedar Falls Raceway) or that the only currently scheduled auto-x's in August are on Sundays so it would put you headed home late afternoon if you stayed for that event.

The overall schedule plan would be hangout Friday night and go shoot pool, Saturday do some type of event or cruise, Saturday night probably grill out/hang out at our place, Sunday short drive and picnic or an auto-x depending on everyone's vote.

Please vote only if you truly plan on attending the event. I want to get a date set early this month so everyone can have ample notice and get time off arranged if needed.

Dates and Events
August 7- Auto-x
August 13- Drag Racing
August 27- Drag Racing

Those are all the car events I can find for August. However, the Iowa state fair does run from August 11-21 here in Des Moines and is a pretty fun time as well. Please vote for your best date/event and then if there are certain dates you absolutely couldn't make, please post them.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/01/05 06:55 PM
I'm down for August 13th. Can't do the 27th, so I had to go with when the State Fair is. Nations best, right?
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/01/05 07:18 PM
It's supposed to be one of the best if not the best fair in the nation.

Rick
Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/01/05 07:25 PM
I'm not sure I'd consider that something to brag about...
Posted By: White99SE Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/01/05 08:45 PM
I'm probably the only one that will vote for the 7th, but that's the only one that works for me, and I'm not even 100% sure I can make that. The 13th and 27 are getting too close to my wife giving birth. The 7th might get nixed for the same reason. I also prefer AutoX to the drags, but I'm probably in the minority there as well. But I really would like to make it up there.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/01/05 09:12 PM
Roger,

You'd be more than welcome to come up so I hope you can make it. I'll pretty much be going by majority rules as far as the date goes. I like to auto-x too, but to put it on a Sunday where a lot of people would have 5+ hour drives to get back home is asking a bit much for most. Too bad I couldn't find a local Saturday auto-x.

Also, I've got a rumor that there might be an SVTOA twin cities shootout versus the non ford people on the 13th of August at the drag strip as well which was a great time when I went last year. I'm trying to get confirmation on that right now.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: m!key Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/01/05 10:08 PM
i am there whenever you want me there. i cant wait.
Posted By: Super Karve S Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/01/05 11:18 PM
Any of those dates work for me. I'll be all healed up from my injury by than.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/02/05 12:35 AM
Voting the 7th, because drag just doesn't do it for me.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/02/05 02:24 AM
I am game for any of those weekends too.

Should be a good time and I hope some new faces (to me at least) will be there!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/02/05 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Davo:
I'm down for August 13th. Can't do the 27th, so I had to go with when the State Fair is. Nations best, right?

My Bday is the 14th....might take off a day anyway....
Posted By: rmcd79_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/02/05 06:15 AM
I could make any work. Karve and anybody else who needs a place to stay I should have 2 open couches, but I'm an hour or a little less north of Rick.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/02/05 01:17 PM
I'm up for a meet as usual! Im not sure which date works best yet but once one is chosen ill try my best tto make it!
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/02/05 05:19 PM
Something I forgot to mention is that your significant other's are more than welcome to attend and I'm sure Miranda can find some things for the gals to do if they don't want to hang around and talk cars all weekend.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/02/05 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Something I forgot to mention is that your significant other's are more than welcome to attend and I'm sure Miranda can find some things for the gals to do if they don't want to hang around and talk cars all weekend.

Thanks,
Rick

Thank God! I will go now!
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/03/05 12:11 AM
I figured you were holding out since we all know Kim isn't into cars at all!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/03/05 03:27 AM
I figured you were holding out since we all know Kim isn't into cars at all!

LOL....she is into them....just not Contours. Now if we were talking about Grand Ams.....
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/06/05 06:07 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
I'm up for a meet as usual! Im not sure which date works best yet but once one is chosen ill try my best tto make it!

Yeah, like he said i'll try and make it too, I'm up for anything but i'm not going to vote because i don't know when/if i could actually make it. I don't know if i'd be up for auto x but it'd still be fun to watch. I also think i'd only be able to make it down there for saturday cuz i have to work fridays, but hey that's probably when the exciting stuff would be going on
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/11/05 04:59 PM
Ok guys and gals, since the voting hasn't gone much further, we I'm closing voting and the meet will be held the weekend of August 13. We will have activities Friday afternoon/evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday late morning/early afternoon.

I'll see if I can get some rooms wrangled around. If you hit up priceline you might be able to get some rooms for $30-40/night or if you don't need anything fancy there is also a motel 6 by the airport that is around $35/night if you tell them it's just a single person. If you get a room, try to stay around the airport area as that is the closest to where we will be doing things and closest to my place though you can get anywhere in this town in less than 20 minutes.

I'll put up a separate post detailing the events as I get time. See you all on the 13th!

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/11/05 11:49 PM
I'm there. Thanks for organizing this, Rick.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/12/05 06:16 AM
dang. i was hoping that i would be able to stop by. im going to a wedding in Ohio on the 6th, will probably be passing through in the 8th.

not to take away from this thread, but if anyone is interested in a bite to eat or something on the 8th (not for certain, but close) let me know. if not, i may take I 70 b/c i believe its a bit shorter from cinci. i dont have any problems with a little detour on I 80.

rick, i remember you mentioning steaks?

Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/12/05 07:51 AM
Try to swing through on a weekend dude. But anyways, if you can stop when you're coming through here, let me know.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/13/05 12:22 PM
Chris,

If you give me a day or two heads up I'll pull some steaks out to throw on the grill. Might make it worth your while driving up I-80 instead of I-70

Rick
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/13/05 09:47 PM
Might make it worth your while driving up I-80 instead of I-70

Rick

Heck yes it will!

Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/14/05 06:11 AM
The american inn wasn't too bad once you got used to the mild smell. Final tally was 49.28 per night. Two beds, TV, bathroom, and pretty close to Rick's place. Pretty much everything you need.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/14/05 12:00 PM
Funny you guys consider that close to my place, shoot that's the other side of town! Anything much over 5 minutes isn't very close to my place

Rick
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/14/05 09:46 PM
its a pretty short drive. plus, the directions are easy
Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/14/05 09:55 PM
...plus speed limit will be 70 in Iowa and already is 75 in Nebraska.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/14/05 10:21 PM
well, on city streets that doesnt really play into things
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/14/05 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Davo:
...plus speed limit will be 70 in Iowa and already is 75 in Nebraska.

It's about freaking time... now to work towards the proper rural interstate speed limit... 80
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/19/05 01:02 AM
Cool, an Iowa meet (been a while since I poked my head in here). I hope my 383 is done by then so I can see what it will actually do.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/19/05 06:02 AM
Just keep me posted and I'm in. Just have to make sure of the dates and ask for them off.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/20/05 03:34 AM
Have you contacted any hotel's for a group rate yet? I did a bit of looking the other night, cheapest I found was $69/night. It looks like Traci (Girlfriend) and I are in, Outlawd and family is a possibility. hopefully Marcus too.

There is always the priceline.com option though. When I started one, it kept telling me "based on recent transactions" until I put in $40. I chose the airport area and West Des Moines. I think that is where Timmmay and I stayed on our way to SZ 02. I know we were closer to Brad's place than yours, but like you said 20 minutes will get you anywhere.

Is there a Holiday Inn Express near you? They have nice breakfasts every morning and those kick azz shower heads that make you feel smarter. We all know I need all the help I can get!

Is it going to make it harder to get a room since the state fair is going on?
Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/20/05 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Eric L:

I didn't even think of that, and the answer is probably yes.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/20/05 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Eric L:
Have you contacted any hotel's for a group rate yet? I did a bit of looking the other night, cheapest I found was $69/night. It looks like Traci (Girlfriend) and I are in, Outlawd and family is a possibility. hopefully Marcus too.

There is always the priceline.com option though. When I started one, it kept telling me "based on recent transactions" until I put in $40. I chose the airport area and West Des Moines. I think that is where Timmmay and I stayed on our way to SZ 02. I know we were closer to Brad's place than yours, but like you said 20 minutes will get you anywhere.

Is there a Holiday Inn Express near you? They have nice breakfasts every morning and those kick azz shower heads that make you feel smarter. We all know I need all the help I can get!

It's especially easy to get around to the South side now that the highway 65 bypass is complete. You can stay in the newer hotels in West Des Moines and still get there in 20 minutes or less. If you're stuck on getting Holiday Inn Express nearer Buckshot though, here's the one you want H I Xpress on Fluer Dr.

Otherwise, I know Hampton Inn serves good breakfastesssesesee too...
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/21/05 03:03 AM
Count me in. Would love to go to Des Moines again...
Posted By: KSpencer Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/23/05 05:34 AM

Hello,

My names ken ive got a 1998 se moving to nebraska havent been to a meet in about 2 years would love to go has a date been determinned yet the only days in august i cant go are the 7-8 so any other day would be fine when finalized let me now thanks ken
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/23/05 12:34 PM
Ken,

The meet is going on the weekend of the 13th. As soon as I can get some more items planned, I'll post the actual events for each day.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: KSpencer Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/23/05 09:09 PM
Thanks for the info by the way were does your business operate out of?
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 06/23/05 11:31 PM
Originally posted by KSpencer:
Thanks for the info by the way were does your business operate out of?

His garage!
Posted By: Midnight_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/08/05 12:57 AM
Hey i am i still allowed to come if i dont have my contour any more.?? I gave it to some friends in St. paul on the south side because they needed a car. But i do have a ford to bring dose it matter if it's an '86 Mustang GT. If you drag i would love to see what it will do. I've been itchen to get to a track that would work well, i would be able to be down there late sat. and all day sunday.

Thanks, Eric

Fromer own of a blue '96 contour "rember the price"
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/09/05 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Midnight:
... it's an '86 Mustang GT. If you drag i would love to see what it will do. I've been itchen to get to a track that would work well, i would be able to be down there late sat. and all day sunday.

It''l be like 1986 all over again. I'll be there with my '86 Trans Am. We can blast some 80's hair band music in the pits...
Posted By: Tisby Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/10/05 08:00 AM
If I'm invited I'll show up with my stock zetec! Not sure though, work schedule isn't up yet...
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/11/05 01:28 PM
The more the merrier. Hopefully I'll be able to get some info on hotels and stuff put up this week.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/12/05 08:59 PM
Argh!! The chic I know lives in Sioux City, which isn't as close to Des Moines as I had hoped! From what she says it's 2 hours away? I should have looked at a map! I'll let you know Rick!

Mark
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/12/05 10:30 PM
Uhh Sioux city is more like 3 hours away. LOL you silly boy!

Rick
Posted By: m!key Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/12/05 10:34 PM
when is this again?
Posted By: 98EB_Expedition Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/13/05 03:03 AM
oh oh mikeys coming too??

Morettes=
Posted By: m!key Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/13/05 03:16 AM
i am there for sure.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/13/05 03:34 AM
August 12-14

I'll be turning in my vacation tomorrow!

I haven't seen any good corn fileds in a while, is it in season?
Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/13/05 03:45 AM
Sweet! This is looking like it could be one of the best meets we've ever had. Can't wait!
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/13/05 03:47 AM
Shhhh, don't jinx it!
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/13/05 04:28 AM
im still undecided as to if i will make it, but im trying!
Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/13/05 01:12 PM
You will make it!!!
Posted By: m!key Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/14/05 10:00 PM
ok ok who is planning on coming?, especially peeps i havent met before.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/14/05 10:30 PM
I'm not sure if met @ SZ 02 or not?

Eitehr way, I'll be there and I believe OutlawdSVT will be there too. He doesn't post much anymore since he has a kid now.

Posted By: rmcd79_dup1 Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/14/05 10:46 PM
Well, I'm coming but I was at SZ '04. I know Super Karve and his brother are coming and I'm pretty sure you haven't met them.
Posted By: Davo Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/14/05 10:52 PM
I've never met you before, and I'll be there.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/15/05 12:38 AM
too many new people. mikey needs to make nametags!
Posted By: m!key Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/15/05 12:47 AM
ha! that might be a good idea actually.
Posted By: 98EB_Expedition Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/15/05 02:45 AM
ill hopefully be there!! in the GL though
Posted By: Family Re: Midwest Meet Poll - 07/15/05 11:47 AM
I work in Des Moines once a month, I will bring my car up to drag race.

btw Hi.

© CEG Archives