Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Loco4G63 Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/20/05 03:10 AM
When do we plan on meeting up at the Lincoln Oasis here in IL? Like I posted before it depends on when we want to arrive in Fort Wayne. Discuss.
well, i would like to arrive at the fort in the early to mid afternoon. thats just me, we'll see what everyone else leaving from des moines thinks. . . .

im not sure how long the drive from des moines to you is, and then how far after that, but earlier is better! i plan on being in des moines early on wednesday so i can get a good nights sleep for thursday.
I usually like to leave Des Moines around 7 in the morning. That should put us on the far side of Chicago sometime around 12-1 depending on the notorious tie up around Gary. That should put us in Fort Wayne sometime around 4-5.

Rick
does anyone have a helicoppter that people can take? Cause that would be awesome....play the airwolf theme the whole way.
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
I usually like to leave Des Moines around 7 in the morning. That should put us on the far side of Chicago sometime around 12-1 depending on the notorious tie up around Gary. That should put us in Fort Wayne sometime around 4-5.

Rick

that sounds perfect to me. thats right when i wanted to get there. not the first, but not the last.
Posted By: Davo Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/20/05 09:35 PM
Kingpin, are still planning on coming through here on your way out?
yup

mapquest says 10.5 hours from here to des moines. im guessing it will take about 9. i would like to get in at 5ish, so ill probably leave here around 7 (dont forget +1 hour, wait, are you central time?).

so, mapquest says from here to licoln is 7.75 hours. im guessing around 6-6.5 maybe? ill be in licoln a tad after lunch. hell, i can leave ealier if you want to meet for lunch or something (if thats what you were thinking). i dont mind hanging out and getting into des moines a little later.

i just want to get into des moines at a reasonable time so i can get a good nights sleep from a long day of driving and for the next day.

let me know if you want to meet up. if so we'll work something out.

Posted By: Davo Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/21/05 12:23 AM
Yeah, it would be cool if we could work something out. The earlier in the day you can get here, the better, since I don't know what time we'll be heading to the theater. If you get in town sometime in the mid- to early afternoon, we should be good.
Just a wee bit early for us in this neck of the woods...

We'd be looking at a 6 am departure time.

Doable, but a bit earlier than preferred.
What time would the Minnesota guys be in Rochester? I'm still trying to decide if I want to head with them or head down to des moines and ride with those guys. I live in rochester so help me out people
Originally posted by Davo:
Yeah, it would be cool if we could work something out. The earlier in the day you can get here, the better, since I don't know what time we'll be heading to the theater. If you get in town sometime in the mid- to early afternoon, we should be good.

we'll work something out then. ill shoot for a 12ish arrival if that works.

i just realized that i spelled lincoln wrong every time earlier.

we'll set up something solid a little closer to my departure.
Soon 12pm at the Lincoln Oasis in IL sound good?
For the meet up in Des Moines, we will be departing from the Bosselman Travel center in Altoona at 7AM sharp. It is at exit 142 in Altoona. There are some hotels at that exit as well. Plan to be there by 6:30 so we can meet up distribute radios and get everything ready to go.

Please post here if you are planning to meet up in Des Moines.

Thanks,
Rick
Hector, it appears to be right about 320 miles from our location so as long as we can hit a 65 mph average then we will be there at noon. Otherwise it will be shortly thereafter. It appears as long as we get out of the Oasis by 1 we will be in Fort Wayne by 4 at the latest.

What route are we planning to take? I-80 clear across Indiana and then drop south on I69 or do we want to run highway 30 across to Fort Wayne? I vote for hwy 30 unless Mark or Jim have a reason to sway us from that. Hwy 30 shows as a divided hwy so no two lane running necessary.

Rick
What route are we planning to take? I-80 clear across Indiana and then drop south on I69 or do we want to run highway 30 across to Fort Wayne? I vote for hwy 30 unless Mark or Jim have a reason to sway us from that. Hwy 30 shows as a divided hwy so no two lane running necessary.

Rick

Are you thinking of Hwy 30 thru Iowa? If so it's 2 lane except in Cedar Rapids and near Clinton (I'm from Clinton), then drops back to 2 lane for as long as I've been on it in Illinois...

I-80 probly a better choice...
No, I'm talking Hwy 30 in Indiana. I actually mapquested everything out and we'll be taking I-80 into the edge of Indiana and then dropping down to take Hwy 30 across to Fort Wayne. Even though it's a 55 mph speed limit it's still 4 lane divided and more direct than taking I-80 over to I-69 and then dropping straight south

According to the timeline I've put together as long as we leave our meet with the Chicago boys by 1 pm, we'll be in Fort Wayne around 4:30. Mark and the Hahns will be over to the hotel around 6.

Rick
Posted By: m!key Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/21/05 10:40 PM
as long as we leave our meet with the Chicago boys by 1 pm, we'll be in Fort Wayne around 4:30.

if the chicagoans arent there on time i say we leave without them again.
Originally posted by mikey boy:
as long as we leave our meet with the Chicago boys by 1 pm, we'll be in Fort Wayne around 4:30.

seconded! i dont want to sit at a gas station for an hour. be there on time!
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

Yeah funny, someone breaks down and we call and say wait 5 min and you guys cant...Nice
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:

Yeah funny, someone breaks down and we call and say wait 5 min and you guys cant...Nice

well if you call thats different. i dont know what happened last time so i guess ill shut up.

i just hate waiting around not knowing whats up. ill give you my cell # specifically for this reason
We will be there at noon. Kevin is staying by my place the night before.....we will be ready.
No, I'm talking Hwy 30 in Indiana. I actually mapquested everything out and we'll be taking I-80 into the edge of Indiana and then dropping down to take Hwy 30 across to Fort Wayne. Even though it's a 55 mph speed limit it's still 4 lane divided and more direct than taking I-80 over to I-69 and then dropping straight south

According to the timeline I've put together as long as we leave our meet with the Chicago boys by 1 pm, we'll be in Fort Wayne around 4:30. Mark and the Hahns will be over to the hotel around 6.

Rick

I was thinking about HWY30 too. If it is 4 lane divided that looks like the best and most direct route.
Originally posted by LoCoZsc:

Rick

I was thinking about HWY30 too. If it is 4 lane divided that looks like the best and most direct route.

Ok, since you guys seem to have the route fairly planned out how about this one:
Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:
What time would the Minnesota guys be in Rochester? I'm still trying to decide if I want to head with them or head down to des moines and ride with those guys. I live in rochester so help me out people

I'd rather be with the larger contour group but whatever, at least I'm going. I just DON'T want to be by myself (brings back my childhood memories)
From Rochester you'll definitely be time ahead to hook up with Zoom Zoom and Zenboy. I'm not sure if Slinger is going with them or coming here first. Best bet would be to get an arrangement made for them to call you about 1/2 hour before they go by your town and then hook up with them at a nearby rest stop/gas station.

Rick
From Rochester you'll definitely be time ahead to hook up with Zoom Zoom and Zenboy. I'm not sure if Slinger is going with them or coming here first. Best bet would be to get an arrangement made for them to call you about 1/2 hour before they go by your town and then hook up with them at a nearby rest stop/gas station.

Rick

I will also be in the TC bandwagon!
Posted By: m!key Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/22/05 09:57 PM
someone breaks down and we call and say wait 5 min and you guys cant...Nice

breaks down? is that what you call changing plug wires the day we are supposed to be leaving? now thats funny.

lets roll!
Posted By: Davo Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/22/05 11:10 PM
breaks down? is that what you call changing plug wires the day we are supposed to be leaving? now thats funny.

LOL Pizoooowwwneed.

All this talk about the caravan has me itching to go. Too bad I already have my tickets to the Episode III 12:01am showing!
Posted By: m!key Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/22/05 11:33 PM
how ghey are you exactly?
Posted By: Davo Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/22/05 11:53 PM
I think somebody's jealous.
Posted By: m!key Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/23/05 01:17 AM
jealous? of a trekky convention?! yeah man i am jealous alright. all i am going to be doing is having a great extended weekend with a lot of friends and cars.
I think somebody's jealous.

nope, thats the lamest excuse ive ever heard!

ill give you chit in person if i get the chance!
someone breaks down and we call and say wait 5 min and you guys cant...Nice

lets roll!

Nope....Sean's car was stalling/losing power....so I fixed it at the Oasis gas station.
Posted By: Davo Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/23/05 05:23 AM
nope, thats the lamest excuse ive ever heard!

ill give you chit in person if i get the chance!

No, it's that among other things, and Mike knows that. I need to head to Chicago the very next week, so two trips only a few days apart is out of the question. Oh and before you guys ask: Yes, the trip to Chicago is much more important than SZ.
Posted By: m!key Re: Since it is almost less than a month away. - 04/23/05 06:10 AM
Originally posted by LoCoZsc:
I fixed it at the Oasis gas station.

no no, you didnt fix it. seans car would run way faster than a 17 second car.

just giving back.
I hate everyone...
Can we not push this a little later? It's 435 miles for us leaving from the Twin Cities (and I'm assuming south metro departure point)... this is an honest 7 hour drive, and we'd have to leave at 5am to meet up with this aggressive scheduling... and nobody could be late (which has NEVER happened.)

This would land Rochester for a 6:30 departure, and not much room for negotiation.

I would vote for a later meet up time with a shorter departure window. I don't think the people will be meeting and greeting until later anyway.
All this talk about the caravan has me itching to go. Too bad I already have my tickets to the Episode III 12:01am showing!

My... I'm surprised you weren't in Indy last weekend... putting a movie which will still be there a week later over a great car meet... what is the world coming to...
Originally posted by Zoom Zoom Diva:
Can we not push this a little later? It's 435 miles for us leaving from the Twin Cities (and I'm assuming south metro departure point)... this is an honest 7 hour drive, and we'd have to leave at 5am to meet up with this aggressive scheduling... and nobody could be late (which has NEVER happened.)

YIKES 5AM! A later start time would be nice!
that's why we should go to des moines the night before......motel6 is only 39.99/night....plus we can start fresh the next day.

I may do this anyways....I haven't quite decided yet.

thoughts?
i will be in des moines on wednesday night. im staying at one of the hotels near I80 though since that is how i will be arriving.
Kingpin and Slinger, you could easily share a room for the night at the Bavarian Inn I PM'd you about Kingpin.

Rick
James,

The reason we were setting the departure times as we were is to allow for some time at the Oasis if need be for people to show up. Though we're planning on meeting at noon, I'm not expecting us to leave there until about 1. Drop me a PM and we can discuss it further and swap cell numbers.

Rick
Rick,

As you know my cousin lives down there so I would probably crash at her place......I'd offer others to stay too but I'll be sleeping on the floor as it is.

If all goes as planned.....I would like to leave the night before around 7:00PM and get to Des Moines around 10:00-10:30 and hit the sack right away.

TC guys - what do you think?? I think I've got my mind made up on the IA thing.....anyone want to join me??

Let me know.

later, slingersvt
Originally posted by slingersvt:
Rick,

As you know my cousin lives down there so I would probably crash at her place......I'd offer others to stay too but I'll be sleeping on the floor as it is.

If all goes as planned.....I would like to leave the night before around 7:00PM and get to Des Moines around 10:00-10:30 and hit the sack right away.

TC guys - what do you think?? I think I've got my mind made up on the IA thing.....anyone want to join me??

Let me know.

later, slingersvt

hmm im thinking this may be a better option for me aswell. I would prefer to sleep a bit later in the moring and drive the night before. I could definitely follow you down there but I dont get home from work til 6pm so the closer to 7pm that we leave would be better.

Who all is planning on getting a hotel room in IA?

I would be up for splitting a room to save some $$.

Kingpin is the only one getting a room that I know of.

Rick
My cousins house is like 2-3 hours away but they stay at their appt. in Des Moines during the week for college......I have find out if she'll be around for sure or not.....otherwise, my buddy and I will just stay at the motel 6 for $39.99 a few miles from Rick's.....I will most likely determine this at the last minute.....so.....

What about Alex (Rochester)......talk to him....see other thread on Spring Zing.......

Why do we have 2 threads on this anyways.......???

later, slingersvt
OK, I'm locking this one to keep us focused on one thread.

Rick
© CEG Archives