Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: XKontour98 Busted! - 03/08/05 03:05 AM
My car was super dirty this weekend and only got worse come today. I was going to wash it before heading home from Rochester but I figured id wait til later. I probably should have as I could have gained a few mpg it was THAT dirty!jk

I recall thinking that this must be the worst I have ever let my car get and that I would be embarrassed to let anyone see it this way.

Anyway on my way back around 5pm I was on hwy 52 almost to 494 when I noticed a Silver frost SVT in my mirror. I nearly crapped my pants as I had recently passed a silver crown vic I am pretty sure its another CEG'er but one I havent met. It had a hood scoop and aftermarket exhaust.

I was driving my Se. I think they exited on Concord as I was not enjoying the dead stop of the 494 bridge.

Just wondering if it was anyone on here.
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: Busted! - 03/08/05 05:08 AM

I know it is a crapy pic but is this the car your talking about? If so no I do not think he is a member but I know where he lives.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/08/05 05:29 AM
Originally posted by ellmers95:

I know it is a crapy pic but is this the car your talking about? If so no I do not think he is a member but I know where he lives.

I also know where he lives
It's a pretty sweet car but personally i think the guy is a cocky bastard. He was going to do some bodywork for my friend on his '69 Bronco, but the guy like kept avoiding his calls. Anyhow he's convinced that 98.5 was the only year of the SVT so i'm sure he doesn't know much and probably isn't a CEG member.
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: Busted! - 03/08/05 05:32 AM
Yeah I tried to talk to the guy and was pretty much ignored by him. I did not like the attitude he had so I stoped talking and left. Nice car though.
Posted By: Davo Re: Busted! - 03/08/05 05:42 AM

That's a stalker pic if I've ever seen one.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Busted! - 03/08/05 08:29 AM
Ok cool,then its ok to talk trash about him lol! JK The kid drove like a cocky bastard and the car to me was not tastefully done! The exhaust had 2 chrome tips pointed at the ground and about 6-8 inches of chrome was showing

It also had side markers. That definitely looks like the car i saw today (inthe pic). And definitely looks like a stalker shot j/k
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: Busted! - 03/08/05 04:51 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!! Yeah it sure does look like one!
Posted By: elraido Re: Busted! - 03/09/05 05:52 PM
Well, I am in the "market" in CSVT with a hood scoop...who wants to give me a "hand" in getting that car...ummmm...I mean a car? The SVT's should only be in the hands of people who like other CEG'ers.
Posted By: chikenkiwi2 Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 03:00 AM
lol,you don't want that car...salvaged,needs new tranny and clutch also. hood scoop is off a 4runner.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 03:56 AM
Lol, don't knock the Salvage title it makes things affordable!! I see you know that guy too, i also knew about the scoop, but the not the clutch and tranny.....
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 04:04 AM
Originally posted by chikenkiwi2:
lol,you don't want that car...salvaged,needs new tranny and clutch also. hood scoop is off a 4runner.

Well... needing a new tranny isn't the worst thing in the world if the price is right. The scoop has got to go, though.

I would avoid a salvage title. You can't claim any damage on it after that.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Redlineracer12:

It's a pretty sweet car but personally i think the guy is a cocky bastard. He was going to do some bodywork for my friend on his '69 Bronco, but the guy like kept avoiding his calls. Anyhow he's convinced that 98.5 was the only year of the SVT so i'm sure he doesn't know much and probably isn't a CEG member.

Especially considering it's an E0 1998 if the wheels are original.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Zoom Zoom Diva:

Especially considering it's an E0 1998 if the wheels are original.

Aw SNAP! good point James!
Posted By: captainandy15 Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 04:02 PM
Whats wrong with 98 EO's with original wheels?
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 06:03 PM
Anyhow he's convinced that 98.5 was the only year of the SVT so i'm sure he doesn't know much and probably isn't a CEG member.

Calm down Andy There aint nothin wrong with E0's rollin on stockers! Its ironic that SVT only made the Contour in 98.5 = E1 and he's rollin on E0's...
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 07:03 PM

You certainly can, up to the replacement cost of the vehicle. Usually the insurance company offers trade in value as retail (as a percentage), so... Great condition, trade in would be considered roughly 80% of retail, so a private party seller of a salvage vehicle should be roughly 80% of trade in value. Otherwise you're getting ripped.

Insured for that full value, you can still make damage claims, but damage to the same stress points can total a vehicle again much quicker. Even for lower total damage impacts, because the metal can only be pulled a couple of times before cracks will form around certain areas.

I've done a lot of research over the last 10 years or so looking for the perfect project vehicle in bulder lots. Some day I will find my jewel...
Posted By: 98EB_Expedition Re: Busted! - 03/10/05 09:24 PM
Originally posted by bnoon:

You certainly can, up to the replacement cost of the vehicle. Usually the insurance company offers trade in value as retail (as a percentage), so... Great condition, trade in would be considered roughly 80% of retail, so a private party seller of a salvage vehicle should be roughly 80% of trade in value. Otherwise you're getting ripped.

Insured for that full value, you can still make damage claims, but damage to the same stress points can total a vehicle again much quicker. Even for lower total damage impacts, because the metal can only be pulled a couple of times before cracks will form around certain areas.

I've done a lot of research over the last 10 years or so looking for the perfect project vehicle in bulder lots. Some day I will find my jewel...

Yup, my winter beaters been totalled out twice , i think its 3 inches shorter now lol(rear ended early last year, t-boned a kid late last year)
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: Busted! - 03/11/05 12:17 AM
Originally posted by chikenkiwi2:

Thats hilarious!!! Especially the hood scoop!!
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Busted! - 03/11/05 01:39 AM
Originally posted by captainandy15:
Whats wrong with 98 EO's with original wheels?

Nothing at all. I prefer the E0 wheels.

It's just that this guy is driving a car he says does not exist.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Busted! - 03/11/05 01:42 AM
On the salvage title... I guess a friend of mine got screwed then, which is entirely possible.

He bought a car not knowing it was salvage, put full coverage on it. When the insurance company found out (before my friend did), they would only let him put liability coverage on the car.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/11/05 02:48 AM
I don't remember if he said 98 or 98.5, but still he thinks it's the only one ever made..... even when i clearly pointed out mine was a 2000 As for the Salvage Title, i thought it was perfectly fine to get full coverage it just doesn't cover as much value if it gets totalled again right? I'm thinking about Full coverage this year
Posted By: ShortySVTC Re: Busted! - 03/11/05 04:56 PM
I also have a salvage title, what is it with these contour drivers yikes, they wreck all of them. Come on... they only made so many lol. Anyway, I called my insurance company before I bought the car, we have progressive, and they said they would cover it (full coverage) So my story..... my car was at Superior Ford off of hwy 169 and Bass Lake road in Plymoth. They wanted $6,998 for it and then, THEY found out it had a salvage title (if I'm smart enough to check first, shouldn't they) they marked it down to $5,998 and parked it in the back lot. I saw it on autotrader and went and looked at it. When I went to buy it, it took a little convincing, but I got the price down to $4,500. Even though I knew it should be fine. the person drove it for 18,000 miles after the total, and it's been a year and a half I think it was. So for me that was a hell of a deal on a svt just cuz of the salvage title. They almost wouldn't sell it to me, they said the car wasn't a good enough, because they sell quality cars. They wanted to put it back on the auction. but I begged them saying I would take it as in an wouldn't expect anything from them, a black one is hard to find in my area or even in minnesota. so they sold it to me, then I went to the service bay to take it home AFTER signing the "as is" papers and SOME DUMBASS HIT IT!!! some guy who worked there drove it or drove something into the front bumper. So to make a long story short they're a very nice dealership and I have a brand new paint job on my front bumper and it's very very nice and only being 18 I got a rental car out of it too. so that's my salvage title story. Sorry it is sooooooo long! -Denise
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Busted! - 03/11/05 05:43 PM
On the salvage title... I guess a friend of mine got screwed then, which is entirely possible.

He bought a car not knowing it was salvage, put full coverage on it. When the insurance company found out (before my friend did), they would only let him put liability coverage on the car.

That would be true if your friend didn't take the car to be inspected by an insurance agent, have an appraisal done, or have the repairs done at a reputable body shop. If nobody can prove that it was fixed to prior condition, liability is all that can be offered for insurance.

Heck, my '86 Trans Am could be totaled by having a light tap on the nose or tail simply because it would cost more to fix the car than the car is worth to replace the whole thing. Anymore, totalling a car is about funds, not unfixable damage like it used to be.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/11/05 09:46 PM
Originally posted by ShortySVTC:
but I got the price down to $4,500.

Dang! how many miles does yours have?! The previous owners of mine wanted $10K for it! Maybe were just nuts?! At least i didn't pay that much though
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: Busted! - 03/11/05 11:31 PM
All this talk I did a little research on my car to find out it was also wrecked. I found where the xar was. Insurance auto auctions. Did a little diging to find out it was hit twice. The first one was little but the second one required all new sheetmetal up front, windshield, and airbags. I paid 2000 for my lx. No visable frame damage though just looked like cosmetic. My title is new and clean says nothing about salvage on it. I just noticed it in the paper work from the dealer I bought it from. I told him and suddenly he droped the remaining 500 from 2500 and I paid 2000.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Busted! - 03/12/05 04:26 AM
Originally posted by ShortySVTC:
but I got the price down to $4,500.

Dang! how many miles does yours have?! The previous owners of mine wanted $10K for it! Maybe were just nuts?! At least i didn't pay that much though

Yeah that dude was crack head thinking he was going to get that kind of money out of a salvaged titled car. Even if it didnt have a salvage title it would be hard to get 10G's for it.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/13/05 07:07 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:

Yeah that dude was crack head thinking he was going to get that kind of money out of a salvaged titled car. Even if it didnt have a salvage title it would be hard to get 10G's for it.

But it had a performance Air Filter!!
Well i'm sure glad i didn't pay THAT much for it
Posted By: ShortySVTC Re: Busted! - 03/14/05 04:15 PM
it's has 92,000 or 95,000 I can't remember which but that's not alot to me, I've been shopping around and it's hard to find them with low miles plus cheaper than 10G's
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/14/05 09:16 PM
Hey 90k still isn't too bad, that's brand new compared to a lot of people's SVT's. I agree they're very hard to find, especially with low miles, i ended up driving an hour and a half just to test drive my car then later in the week 2 1/2 hours to pick it up I must say it was well worth it though
Posted By: ShortySVTC Re: Busted! - 03/16/05 02:55 PM
yeah mine was like 45 min away which wasn't too bad I drive down there for work every day. It was worth it also. How many miles do you have on your's? And hey are you coming to the meeting saturday? I'll be there, I hope. I have an interview at 4 that I'm trying to get changed but they can't call me back till friday. But I'm sure I will. -Denise
Posted By: slingersvt Re: Busted! - 03/16/05 04:25 PM
Geeeeez.....I went all the way out to New York for mine.....it only had 34-35K on it.....now it has 37K. I won't be able to make it this weekend either.....I'm most likely heading down to buckshots on Sat.....not sure though. He's finishing up a few things for me.

Later.

Mike
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/16/05 11:34 PM
Um... Not sure what time is the meeting at? Is it at the Lakeville Ford again? I have to make sure i don't have to work still. I have 44k miles on my SVT, it had 36k when i bought it last year.
Posted By: ShortySVTC Re: Busted! - 03/17/05 11:46 PM
wow that's not alot at all you guys... I wish. The meeting is at lakeville ford and it is at 3:00 sharp, it goes till 4 then we caravan over to eat somewhere usually in apple valley. then it's all car discussion from there. it's a whole buncha men non stop, and then there's the girls section we either listen, join in, or find something else to talk about. it's cool though. they pay some attention to us. lol.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/18/05 02:32 AM
Alright that sounds cool, i'll try and make it, we'll have to see how my weekend shapes out. Tony
Posted By: ShortySVTC Re: Busted! - 03/21/05 02:48 PM
ok so nobody made it again. Well you guys missed out on a hand drawn black and white # 7 of 500 picture of an svt contour. It is sooooooooooo detailed it even have the reflection of the trees, cement, garage door, and everything. For only $30, I bought it but there is more if anyone's interested. They have the lightning, contour, cobra coupe, cobra convertible, and the focus. Maybe I'll post a picture of it if anyone's interested. Let me know. You can order a whole set but they'll run out fast. Our chapter director got them at CLT. They're beautiful. Let me know -Denise
Posted By: 00LS5spd Re: Busted! - 03/21/05 04:56 PM
You should post a pic of that for sure, Denise. What's the scoop on this weekend? My wife and I are going to try and get out of the house for the late afternoon and evening...so time's and details would be great.

Sean
Posted By: captainandy15 Re: Busted! - 03/21/05 07:40 PM
I am gonna try real hard to make the next one! I'd like to meet all the CEG'ers up in the cities.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/22/05 07:00 AM
That sounds pretty cool, i'd be interested if you could post a pic or something that'd be cool. Tony
Posted By: ShortySVTC Re: Busted! - 03/24/05 02:28 AM
i will bring the picture for sure. See you guys there! I can't believe you're finally coming. It's been taking me a while to get you to come. I must not be as good of a smooth talker as I thought I was.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/25/05 02:13 AM
Ha ha, yeah maybe. I just think the MOA is an easy place to meet, and luckily it works out with my schedule this week (Spring Break so most things do )
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Busted! - 03/25/05 02:24 AM
We should all park in the same area so we can meet up and checkout rides!
Posted By: ShortySVTC Re: Busted! - 03/25/05 12:57 PM
Sounds good, if anyone needs to call and find me 763-443-8013 or tell me a place to meet & I'll be there. -Denise
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: Busted! - 03/25/05 09:23 PM
Lol, who wants to check out the probe? Yeah let me know if there's a certain area you wanna park Doug. 651-216-0087. Tony
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: Busted! - 03/26/05 05:03 AM
so what's the scoop? When is the meet and where is it gonna be for sure? I would love to be there. Tony
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Busted! - 03/26/05 05:05 AM
Im thinking of parking on 3rd floor of the MOA in the Macy's parking lot. my cell is 507-313-8351 if anyone needs it.
© CEG Archives