Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I would like to plan the next installment of this years NFS (need for speed for those that are acronym challenged) runs. I proposed the 15th and the 29th of April, getting nearly unanimous response for the latter.

I plan an approx 4 pm departure, (we will need to stick to the departure time due to the restaraunt reservation) allowing approx 3 hours of daylight driving and maybe 2 hrs in the dark. It will require a reservation at the Kirkland Jct restaurant so I'd like for some folks to commit to a list of names so I can get on with it.

As I mentioned it will depart MUCH EARLIER (4 pm) and ON TIME this time. I would hope folks could arrive with enough petrol too, so fill it up on the way here. Let's stick with the departure from the North Phoenix Happy Valley Town Center. Seemed to work out ok last time. For anyone registered on the Focaljet, just log in and check
under Dezert Focus, the thread shouldn't be hard to find.

Rodewaryer in - (29 April)
SVTCTR15 in - (29 April)
Massive in - (29 April)
Broke_two_foci in - (29 April) Massives co pilot.
Vduuub in - (29 April)
tparker in - (29 April)
FocusAZ1 in - (29 April)
lil_silver_rocket maybe - (29 April)
phxtravis maybe - (29 April)
SVTRallyFocus maybe - (29 April)

SVTRallyFocus is suggesting a additional hill and without knowing the details, it could very well be added as a diversion off the planned route. All told this will be about an hour longer than the last run.

Does anyone that went on the last run have one of my radios? I am still missing the red one I loaned out on the last drive.....

Like I said on the Jet, count me in for whenever. I'll let the NECO guys know as well.
Count me in as well!

Greg
I just saw this over on NECO. I won't be attending. I'll be in Colorado, all dressed up in my blues for one of my good friend's wedding on the 29th. He's getting hitched before he leaves for Iraq this summer.
if i have it off definately, so count me as a maybe. too far away to tell.
Latest list then:

Rodewaryer - In
SVTCTR15 - In
Massive - In
Broke_two_foci - In (Massives co pilot-why?)
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
lil_silver_rocket - Maybe
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
TheFordGuy (NECO/CEG)- In
Greg - NECO - In
Engineear - In
azbobbybooshay_10 (NECO/CEG) - In
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
Frank (Host Friend) - Maybe
Adding two more, we're up to 17 cars:

Rodewaryer - In
SVTCTR15 - In
Massive - In
Broke_two_foci - In (Massives co pilot-why?)
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
Greg - NECO - In
Engineear - In
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - Maybe
I guess I listed Greg twice:

List updated:

Rodewaryer - In
SVTCTR15 - In
Massive - In
Broke_two_foci - In (Massives co pilot...Maybe)
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
Engineear - In
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe

Want more Contours!! :-)
I just checked the azsolo2 schedule, and there's an autocross that day. There's no way I could do both
Understand, sorry I don't look for those anymore, did that years ago and got sick of 20-40 min waits for 60-90 sec runs. Autocrossed for years before finally winning two consecutive seasons in EP, but the clincher was the annual SCCA banquet at years end finding the SOLO I "WORKERS" got more podium time/awards than the SOLO II winners. Something about that just got me, so I haven't looked back since.

Have fun.
In case you still like to know about SCCA stuff... this year they merged Solo1 into Time-Trials. Solo2 is now just Solo. Strange... I remember Solo2 as far back as 1990.. not sure when it was created though.

I'm sure one of these NFS events will match my schedule
My meager success was in the 80's in my Sunbeam. There was some competition that was fun, like beating guys in NEW sponsored cars.....with my home tuned old car.....need to get that old beastie running again some day.....
Bumping, don't want this to get buried.

Remember there will be a nice dinner stop on this drive around 6 pm at the Kirkland Restaurant. Good food.

Rodewaryer - In
SVTCTR15/can't drive 55 - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
Engineear - In (with navigator)
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe

4 CEG'rs, so far not bad.....
Rodewaryer - In
SVTCTR15/can't drive 55 - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe
Mudi "the 3L guy" (NECO) - In

^^^^ Added him here too!

Greg
I was wanting to go to the meet tonight... but in talking to the wife, I brought up this NFS meet. She said I could go out and play even though I'm autocrossing that morning! So please count me in for this

What time would you guess we'll be returning at? Sounds like 9-10pm... but wasn't sure.
We'll see how my plan works out I may be moving out to Tucson. Maybe I can attend, but it would be a very last minute...

PS I will still need my SVT tuned. 3L turbo...maybe ADC can do it.
There's like 6-7 weeks to get our cars tweaked or latest mod's installed so don't procrastinate too long! We're probably going to do a team tech day in the next 3-4 weeks as well. However I don't forsee much real tuning going on, mostly sway bar installs, light upgrades, CAI installs etc, stuff that doesn't involve too much serious wrench bending.

BTW, the meet at Sonic on friday night had two Contours and a Cougar along with over half the Sonic's parking taken up with Focus'. Good turnout, good G2G.

Oh yeah, sorry Morbid, almost forgot you, we almost never make estimated return times due to the fact that with a group of varying people, every stop is fairly long and things happen (mechanical issues, people not showing up with enough fuel, need air in tires etc). This time we have a restaurant stop as well. I forsee more like midnight.

The list has changed again....

Rodewaryer - In
SVTCTR15/can't_drive_55 (CEG) - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
Frank (Host's Friend) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe
turboeco - Maybe
Morbid - Maybe
my car will probably still be stock, seemed to hold up well last time. if i do come i will probably be bringing a passenger.
Some find it better to have a navigator, as well as someone to operate a radio if you have one. I'll be considering a little different stategy to keep the stop time down to a minimum and yet keep people together.
I saw some of those GSM radios or whatever they are at Fry's the other day. I'll probably pick some up before this next meet, and maybe before any planned "short Yarnell run" you guys may do before the 29th of April.

Sonic the other night was awesome, even though I felt like I was driving to New Mexico.
Sounds good.. I'll tell the wife not to wait up

I'm in.
Hey... are other people invited? I was talking to one of my stepbrothers (Ron) about it and he said he'd like to go.. but didn't know if he was allowed. My other brothers would probably also be interested.

I have 1 brother and 2 stepbrothers...

Ron - 1992 Daytona IROC R/T Turbo (wicked fast!)
Rich - 1995 Eclipse GST
Mitch - 1999 Eclipse GSX

I'm the only one without a turbo
Originally posted by morbid:
(wicked fast!)

Yessssssss, some east-coast terminology, I'm so sick of all the west-coast "hella", that word(not really a word) is so gay, it makes absolutely no sense....

I use wicked all the time and everyone is like what the hell is "wicked", and I just reply with, "what the F. is hella".......
heheh I was born in Phoenix and somehow became accustomed to using it for the past ~20 years.

I agree about "hella"... the only time I use that term is either when I'm goofing off or making fun of someone (or both).
i lived in the north east my whole life and i dont say wicked.... my sister does tho cuz she lives in boston

and im thinkin bout inviting this guy i know who has a 2005 cobalt ss
I dont think there are any limitations on what kind of cars are invited, as long as they don't try to be Billy Badass and do stupid [censored] on the cruise (weave in and out of traffic or otherwise drive like an idiot). As long as they stay cool they are more than welcome to join us.
cool... I'll let them know. Even though 2 of my brothers drive Eclipse's, they aren't ricers and they're more or less mature (about as much as me )

Either way... I'll make sure they know not to do anything stupid.

Oh... I know 4:00pm is the departure time, but do you know when people will start gathering? I'd love to have time to check out some of the cars... that Cobalt SS too, if that guy comes.
yeah i still gotta talk to him, hes kinda a douche bag tho idk if i want him to come. he thinks his car is the [censored]. also i know a kid who drives a wrx waggon i might throw a invite his way.
heh.. Cobalt SS's are kind of cool.. but in the end, they're still GM products
We had a Cobalt SS/SC there last time

Greg
Are there additions to the list or does it still stand as last shown.....?
If I can add a comment relating to support of the statement "not doing anything stupid". Last time if you will recall, a few people had the uncontrollable urge to do redline bursts in public parking areas (before we left and in Wickenburg at the gas station) whilst this was mostly the bikes showing off, a few cars had to get involved. Our mass of vehicles was enough of an attention getter (usually not good, we don't need the badges to see us) and we certainly didn't need anymore.....that can be done to your hearts content out on the open road and in the "outlands", areas. Nothing like a badge to ruin a drive for the whole group, and when they see us, trust me, they'll be real interested to tag along and the fun ends there.

Added a couple, and one dropped out: NEED MORE CONTOURS!!

Rodewaryer - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe
Morbid (CEG)- Maybe
Dayona Guy - Maybe
Eclipse GST Guy - Maybe
Eclipse GSX Guy - Maybe
I can bring the tour this time if you want??

Greg
hey.. mark me as "in"

I'm trying to get more definitive answers from my brothers.
Rodewaryer - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe
Morbid (CEG)- In
Dayona Guy - Maybe
Eclipse GST Guy - Maybe
Eclipse GSX Guy - Maybe

If someone doesn't want to drive, I'm looking for a codriver. Let me know if anyone's interested.
Greg, Bring the Contour! I'm not trying to disassociate any one type of car, but they haven't been particularly well represented, not sure we've ever seen more than 4-5 at once, other than maybe at a pavillions about a decade ago......
I can't give a def. answer but if I can make it I would love to be their.... As long as you guys don't mind the Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde look to my car right now(my pass. side is thrashed from a lil accident I had on the way out here)....
Originally posted by Rodewaryer:
Greg, Bring the Contour! I'm not trying to disassociate any one type of car, but they haven't been particularly well represented, not sure we've ever seen more than 4-5 at once, other than maybe at a pavillions about a decade ago......

Ok will do! It will probably handle better for this type of deal than the Cougar did.

Greg
k... got confirmation from my 2 step-brothers... they're both in. My brother is iffy... and I would count him out.

Rodewaryer - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe
Morbid (CEG)- In
Ron (Dayona Guy) - In
Rich (Eclipse GST Guy) - In
Mitch (Eclipse GSX Guy) - (says he's out... but there's still hope )
Manch-VegasSVT, if it's still a solid driver bring it. I'll put you on the list as a maybe. Anything you think could be done on our team tech day? Not sure if we have any bodymen in the group but I can ask. Even if it's only some partial restorative work, any progress is worth it....

Rodewaryer - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe
Morbid (CEG)- In
Ron (Dayona Guy) - In
Rich (Eclipse GST Guy) - In
Manch-VegasSVT (CEG)- Maybe
Hey Manch, what kind of work needs to be done on the car? I've done a little bit of body work on my car, I might be able to help out a little bit? If you make it over to the Tech Day I'm sure we could get something done. Post up a pic if you don't mind of the damage and I'll see what I can do.
Related to my other speedworld related post, can you remove Rich (Eclipse GST Guy) from the list? He blew his motor last night and I doubt he'll have it running by then. He might still ride along with me or Ron.

Oh.. Ron ran too, but got 15.0 @ 101mph (same mph as the 13.7 sec guy ). We're working out his traction issues as he's burning through to the top of 3rd.
Heh, yea "that guy"

Greg
Don't like to hear about cars breaking, even if I'm used to it with my own problem child.

List revised and I have not compared it to the Focaljet one yet....Take care of those cars! Remember the team tech day.....15 Apr....

Rodewaryer - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -Maybe
Chewy - Maybe
Morbid (CEG)- In
Ron (Dayona Guy) - In
Manch-VegasSVT (CEG)- Maybe
yup... but it's much better for his car to break 20 mins from home. Sounds like his valve train locked up. *Might* be easily fixable, but I wouldn't bet on it.
You broke something?

Greg
Who broke something?
OK, the list has grown considerably and is now up to 29. We have to break this up and run a couple different groups, not sure that many cars will even fit at some of the stops we make. Hopefully the restaurant won't be a problem.

Rodewaryer - In
Massive - In
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In
phxtravis - Maybe
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
azbobbybooshay_10 (NECO/CEG) - In (codriver wanted, maybe)
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -IN
Chewy - Maybe
Morbid (CEG)- In
Ron (Dayona Guy) - In
Manch-VegasSVT (CEG)- Maybe (needs bodywork)
LightingGod - Maybe
Try2Fcs - In
fm-corey - In
Zx2AZ1 - In (Josh's co-driver)
JessV6 (NECO) - Maybe (may ride with me, may take own vehicle)
byrdman (NECO) - Maybe (he's from Sierra Vista and would like to come, not sure on his schedule as of yet)
Total: 18 "In", 11 "Maybe", 29 total
Ok... my step-brother Rich (ex-Eclipse guy) is getting a new car this week. So please add to the list:
Rich (Dodge Spirit R/T guy) - Maybe

He definetly wants to go... but wants to go over the car this weekend. It's supposed to be in great shape... but even if somethings wrong with it, I think he'll at least be navigating for Ron.

Ooh... I should be installing my new suspension next weekend, so I'll be able to test it out
Can you also add:
Shawn (Corvette guy) - maybe

I'll see if I can get definite answers for them tomorrow.
Sorry for not answering the tech day thread, I spent nearly all my waking hours for over a week preparing for the tech day as well as this drive. We were looking for more Contours (I know they were maybe's) too bad too, as there was only one.

The question has been asked about how long this will take. If we did nothing but drive, I would guess between 10 and 11 pm we'd be back into the city, but with a meal stop, and this many cars I can't guess how many times we'll stop or how for how long. I'd guess at around 1 am being back to the outskirts of Phoenix. I hope it's earlier but I know with nearly 30 cars, something will happen and a car will break, or a tire will let go or something, maybe several somethings......

Rodewaryer - In
Massive - In (Broke_two_foci - Massives co pilot)
Vduuub - In
tparker - In
FocusAZ1 - In (Zx2AZ1 Josh's co-driver)
phxtravis - Unlikely
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
azbobbybooshay_10 (NECO/CEG) - In (codriver wanted, maybe)
MVR (CEG) - Maybe
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -IN
Chewy - Maybe
Morbid (CEG)- In
Ron (Dayona Guy) - In
LightingGod - Maybe
fm-corey - In
JessV6 (NECO) - Maybe (may ride with me, may take own vehicle)
CivicSi - Maybe
byrdman (NECO) - Maybe (he's from Sierra Vista and would like to come, not sure on his schedule as of yet)
Shawn (Corvette guy) - maybe

By the way, how many CEG'rs and NECO folks planned on having a navigator or co-driver?
My step brother with the eclipse is in, but with a different car.

I thought it might be cool to have the car type in the list... maybe also color and something to identify the car. At least for us going in that are complete strangers... we'll be able to identify who's who.
alright guys i will not be comming due to the fact that i will be moving back to ct next week.
I'l fill in those that I know, and I'll also get over on [FJ] and try to get car descriptions.

Rodewaryer (Blue SVT Focus) - In (the DDJ is the maybe.....)
SVTCTR15/can't_drive_55 (Silver Contour SVT)(CEG) - In
Massive - In
Vduuub (Dark Blue VW Golf GTI)- In
tparker (White ZX3 Focus)- In
FocusAZ1 - In (Zx2AZ1 Josh's co-driver)
phxtravis - Unlikely
SVTRallyFocus - Maybe
TheFordGuy (Silver Turbo Contour SVT)(NECO/CEG)- In
azbobbybooshay_10 (Gold Cougar)(NECO/CEG) - In (codriver wanted, maybe)
MVR (CEG) - OUT
OscarSVTee - Maybe
halftoned - In
Condor -IN
Chewy - Unlikely
Mudi "the 3L guy" (Black 3L Cougar)(NECO) - In
Morbid (Black SVT Contour)(CEG)- In
Ron (Dayona Guy) - In
Rich (Dodge Spirit guy) - IN
LightingGod - Maybe
fm-corey - In
JessV6 (Green Cougar)(NECO) - In
byrdman (NECO) - Out (has to work)
CivicSi - Maybe
Shawn (Corvette guy) - Maybe
Total:

Radios:
Bobby - 2 (1 will be used by myself, along with my earpiece)
Rodewaryer - 7
FocusAZ1 - 2
TheFordGuy - 5
Zona Kona (via James) - 1
Massive - 4
fm-corey - 4
chewbacca - 1 (maybe; needs to check on Tech Day)
Total: 26 radios, multiple loaner earpieces available
Ug... there's been problems with my brothers (Rich) car transport, and he won't be receiving it until next Monday. He still might ride with Ron, but he's not going to be driving.

Sorry for all the flip-flopping
No problems.

I need to say for those going, please try to get to the Happy Valley Center by 3pm!! We will be LEAVING at 4pm sharp! I'm sure Robert will come in and give more info, but here is what I know.

We will be travelling in TWO groups. There are a couple reasons for doing this. 1, we don't want to attract negative attention by having so many cars all together. 2, we are splitting up for our fueling stop in Wickenburg. The first group will fill up at the Chevron on the north side of town, and the 2nd group will fuel up at the Shell on the south side, before the river.

Robert (Rodewaryer, Sonic Blue Focus SVT) will lead the first group, and Nathan (SVTCTR15;cant_drive_55, Silver Contour SVT) will lead the 2nd group. Robert will get up Yarnell ahead of the group and try to take as many pictures as possible of us coming up the hill. From there, someone else will lead the group to the Kirkland Restaurant, where we will be eating dinner.

Robert has printed up about 40 "course notes" for everyone, including a good map of Yarnell.

If you have any FRS radio's, BRING THEM! We are hoping to have a radio in every car!

Until then, see you guys Saturday!
I'd like to request being in the second group. Ron won't be able to get there until about 3:45... but incase he's later, he can catch up and I can give him a course paper. He's also going to lend me a radio. He gets off work at 3:00 from Chandler.

I'll talk to Shawn to let him know to be there at 3:00.

I think Shawn also has a radio.. so we'll all have radios.
holy crap that was sooo much fun!!
It sure was!

Greg
© CEG Archives