Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Brandonb85 WTB Svt - 11/04/05 01:47 AM
Hey everyone i am new to owning/wanting a SVT but have researched to make sure this is the car I would like to buy next.I am fan of the Svt and am looking to purchase one within 500 miles of my hometown Lamar, Colorado 81052. I only ask that the car is in good condition and has less than 100,xxx miles. Thanks for the help
Posted By: stadtsoldat Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 02:00 AM
Damn. I'm at 106k with a bad first gear synchro, in Fort Collins. I'm always willing to sell, don't like the prospect of fixing that tranny...

Are you sure you want one? I was right there. I didn't know about all the transmission problems these cars have... I bought mine in Denver, at 91k with no problems. The synchro started grinding four months later. Now I wish I had stuck to my original plan and gotten a ZX3 for the same price. But I thought, oh, an SVT Contour! I've always wanted one! And for so cheap, who wouldn't want the performance edge over the Focus?

Eh, I donno, just me ranting... They are nice cars, if unreliable.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 02:32 AM
You are welcome to my car for $11,000.
Posted By: stadtsoldat Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 02:36 AM
Mine for 5k! Granted, not near as nice, but still! Discount here!
Posted By: stilov Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 02:38 AM
pm me...there is one here in SLC for sale 88k miles...I would go look at it for you and check it out.

As for knowing contours...I have done my fair share of work on mine.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 03:42 AM
Originally posted by stadtsoldat:
Discount here!

That is by no means what my car is worth, but thats what it would take for me to give it up. Well, I may be negotiable.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 04:41 AM
I'd probably give mine up for 8k or so. ~78K miles, good condition. I don't have any real reason other than I'd love to get a used A4. But, I have no problems with my car as it is, and I truley enjoy it. Your call, maybe I'd go less.
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 04:56 AM
Anymore around here? Still looking..
Posted By: stilov Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 05:51 AM
I would let mine go for 13k in a heart beat. Although it is hard to say b/c I am not even done with it yet. Maybe after time goes by I'd let it go for 10k.
Posted By: stilov Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 05:52 AM
As far as a car goes...they actually are reliable. You just need to get one that has been treated well...

It's the same with all the SVT cars.
Posted By: BlackwidowSVTT Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 06:50 AM
well well well, I have a turbocharged SVT here in Pueblo. Some days I want to sell it and others I dont. Its 1998 with 103k miles. It has no problems and everything works great. I am at 12psi at about 280whp, that I have not proven yet. You want an SVT that has it all, this ones it. I would let it go for around $8,700.
It has about 4G's in mods. Let me know -B.
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 04:34 PM
man - I guess I sold mine uber cheap -

I sold mine what - 4 years ago? 3? for $7400 with like 56K miles in good shape . . .

are SVT's appreciating?
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: WTB Svt - 11/04/05 07:13 PM
I dont think they are appreciating, but you did sell yours for a steal it seems. I thought I stole mine from its original owner with 42,000 miles (in 2003) in perfect shape for $8300.
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/05/05 12:27 AM
Originally posted by BlackwidowSVTT:
well well well, I have a turbocharged SVT here in Pueblo. Some days I want to sell it and others I dont. Its 1998 with 103k miles. It has no problems and everything works great. I am at 12psi at about 280whp, that I have not proven yet. You want an SVT that has it all, this ones it. I would let it go for around $8,700.
It has about 4G's in mods. Let me know -B.

Sounds nice.. pushing the price i was wanting to spend but maybe if it is already modded. If you can round up some pics send em to my email, brandonb85@gmail.com , Thanks a bunch

Anymore out there? I'm about to get the loan and dont want to find a better deal(that always happens to me).
Posted By: stilov Re: WTB Svt - 11/05/05 01:04 AM
Let's see 2 yrs ago I paid 7000 for my 98 w/ 72k on it. I wouldn't say they are appreciating, but probably have depreciated as far as they will go with age...and they will depreciate more with mileage/condition now.
Posted By: stadtsoldat Re: WTB Svt - 11/05/05 10:12 PM
Originally posted by stilov:
they actually are reliable.

In general, perhaps. But it seems to me these transmissions are nightmares.
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/06/05 01:03 AM
Any other heads up about the svt? Still searching for the right one.
Posted By: stilov Re: WTB Svt - 11/06/05 01:25 AM
as far as the transmissions...the SVT generally have been driven hard...that's why they break, but the normal MTX driven normally last for a long time.

As for the SVT...I will go look at it for you as soon as you let the guy know that I am coming.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: WTB Svt - 11/06/05 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Brandonb85:
Still searching for the right one.

Here it is!

Oh wait, I sold it back in January. I really enjoyed having that car, and I definately plan on having another sports sedan in the future. Good luck on your SVT hunt!
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/06/05 02:41 AM
Nice Svt Derk.. That's what im going for something clean like that.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: WTB Svt - 11/06/05 04:36 AM

360 ftlbs and 388hp went through mine with no issues.
Posted By: BlackwidowSVTT Re: WTB Svt - 11/06/05 11:35 PM

Sounds nice.. pushing the price i was wanting to spend but maybe if it is already modded. If you can round up some pics send em to my email, brandonb85@gmail.com , Thanks a bunch

Anymore out there? I'm about to get the loan and dont want to find a better deal(that always happens to me).

Done, check your email. -B.
Posted By: slc_svt Re: WTB Svt - 11/07/05 09:46 AM
Quote:

Anymore around here? Still looking..

I've been considering selling mine, but dunno for sure. Check your PM and see if you're interested.
Posted By: stadtsoldat Re: WTB Svt - 11/07/05 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Keyser:

Yeah, well, mine hasn't been abused and the first gear synchro is shot. All stock, 200hp, 167ft-lbs. Go figure?
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: WTB Svt - 11/09/05 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Keyser:

Yeah, well, mine hasn't been abused and the first gear synchro is shot. All stock, 200hp, 167ft-lbs. Go figure?

original owner?
Posted By: stadtsoldat Re: WTB Svt - 11/09/05 02:16 AM
No, so I do stand corrected, it may have been abused. But first gear synchro? Wouldn't you have guessed third? Or maybe the diff?

I guess I'm just bitter. I love the car otherwise, but as a college student, I am POOR and need reliable transportation. I didn't do my homework on these cars before I bought it. I checked out the "common problems" on the main page, but the tranny shifted fine at the time. I was looking for a Focus, but in my $6k range an SVT Contour popped up, and I'd always loved the way they looked, so I couldn't resist.
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/10/05 12:22 AM
Well i thought i found the Svt i was going to buy but turns out the guy sold it. Still looking for one. Let me know asap please. I am going to buy within the next two weeks.

Thanks
Posted By: BlackwidowSVTT Re: WTB Svt - 11/10/05 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Brandonb85:
Well i thought i found the Svt i was going to buy but turns out the guy sold it. Still looking for one. Let me know asap please. I am going to buy within the next two weeks.

I did not sell it yet ! lol -B.
Make an offer.
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/10/05 01:41 AM
idk 8,700 is up there in the price range and over 100k miles lol. Nice car though so you could pm me with another price if you would like.

Come on i know some one around here wants their car to have some TLC. I will take a car off someone's hands with open arms..
Posted By: stadtsoldat Re: WTB Svt - 11/10/05 02:39 AM
Well, if there are none available, you have to budge on one of your restrictions, or go without.
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/10/05 03:31 AM
Thats what im trying to talk my credit union into Lmao.. They weren't to happy with the last loan(to a dsm which broke down).
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: WTB Svt - 11/10/05 05:21 PM
I already threw mine out there. I suppose I could go a little less, but I don't have any real need to get rid of it. I still owe money on it, so I'd need enough left over to put down a downpayment and get a loan for an upgrade with financing that I could afford. (Toyota 4Runner perhaps? or even an A4 if I could find one in my price range....)

PM me if you're serious about wanting one.

Mines got a nice loud exhaust, few little mods here and there, K&N, poly mounts, new tires, new Optima Redtop, and some bad quirks here and there. But it certainly doesn't get the love I used to show it back down in Denver, and I'm not too attached to it anymore. No garage/tools/carwash utilities up here...
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/13/05 11:48 AM
Still waiting for your reply PlatoSVT
Posted By: Brandonb85 Re: WTB Svt - 11/15/05 02:03 AM
Well im in the process of a loan any last comments or offers?
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: WTB Svt - 11/15/05 04:53 AM
Good luck with your find Brandon. What do you think you'll go for if you can't find an SVT?
Posted By: stadtsoldat Re: WTB Svt - 11/18/05 02:27 AM
There's one for sale on autotrader for like $7k or so, with 68k miles, somewhere here in Colorado. (44 miles from Fort Collins?) Check it out.
© CEG Archives