Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo Just about there..... - 09/05/05 08:07 AM
Well I have everything done with the 3L swap (using 3L UIM and adapting the EGR system) and the turbo system, but am being held up by an ill fitting intercooler

I have to change the outlet on my spearco water to air IC, tap an existing sensor hole to allow the use of a Lightning IAT and cut a hole for my BOV bung.

I was going to bypass the IC for now, but I've decided to just be done with the SOB and end my everlast project as soon as I can. Here I thought I'd be done at the end of spring, and here it is at the end of summer/ start of fall

Posted By: stilov Re: Just about there..... - 09/05/05 04:00 PM
I feel ya!!!

Everytime it takes way longer than I thought it would...I am so naive about it I guess!!

Did you find an aluminum welder?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Just about there..... - 09/06/05 10:08 PM
I'm going to give your guy a call this week. I just got some 1/8" T6-6061 plate to either make an all new end tank or atleast patch in the existing end tank.

With a few ideas from Scot, I think I'll try to mod the existing tank to minimize the chance of introducing any debris into the core. Lots and lots of prep work will go into this before any cutting even happens
Posted By: Swazo Re: Just about there..... - 09/16/05 07:06 AM
Just an update....

I installed my fuel pump tonight, it wasn't the same without Scot and Derek there to supervise me this time around

My IC resivor is going where my windshield washer resivor used to go. It's a sweet looking custom aluminum tank, so that kind of bites. I should have gone with a cheapy PCV home built jobby after all

I have my intercooler all ready to get welded, but I have to wait until next week when I get paid to have it done. I do have everything else installed for the IC system, so that is a bonus. It truely is down to the IC getting finished

Other than that, I am pulling my exhaust from the engine-back off so I can paint it with high temp paint and wrap some more of it now that I got some more heat wrap. I will be taking pics while it's off the car.

I should also be molding in Scot's sweet DIN gauge pods into my pre-98 console. I have the midnight blue paint, charcoal grey and clear, CF ( ), custom boots and all the goodies for it on hand.

This weekend should see some good progress on detail work
Posted By: Pinebox_dup1 Re: Just about there..... - 09/16/05 01:22 PM
glad to see progress!

vroooooom...phssssst...vroooooom...phssssst is fun, you're gonna love it
Posted By: Swazo Re: Just about there..... - 09/17/05 12:49 AM
I am going insane just dreaming about how good it's going to sound to my ears!

If all goes as well tomorrow with the piping, I may just fab up a discharge pipe to get it started up for the first time and get any vacuum issues out of the way
Posted By: Swazo So close I can taste it! - 10/08/05 12:25 AM
My car is ready to start as soon as I get to meet up with Jon and get one other minor part Sometime this week (if I get time to take it down, or have it taken down on a flat bed that is....) I am going to get the final tune taken care of and will have a dyno sheet to see what my turbo 3L puts down

I'm really stoked
Posted By: stilov Re: So close I can taste it! - 10/08/05 12:52 AM
are you going to break it in before a dyno?
Posted By: Swazo Re: So close I can taste it! - 10/08/05 12:59 AM
I'll be driving it around and racking up as much milage as I can before hand. It'll get some light dyno pulls too before any WOT runs.
Posted By: stilov Re: So close I can taste it! - 10/08/05 01:03 AM
I plan on getting mine done and getting a decent tune for LOW boost, and then after break in head to the dyno for WAT and tuning for WOT. Hopefully I can get sopme help from a couple fellow CEGer's
Posted By: Swazo Re: So close I can taste it! - 10/08/05 01:10 AM
With the base tune that I have to tinker with, it should be good enough for break in purposes. I'm only going to be pushing 3.63 psi for break in and 10+ psi for my street tune and maybe 12 psi for a track tune
Here is a fairly recent pic of my dirty engine bay. It's already much cleaner now..... but it gives you guys an idea of what it will look like when done
shiney stuff!
and I thought my engine bay was a little cramped.
Swazo, that is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It is so perfect, I idolize you!
Like I said in the FI section, like a little girl. Hurry up! That looks AMAZING!
That looks fan-freakin-tastic!
I can't wait to see what you all think in person and when it's tuned!

Originally posted by Swazo:
..and 10+ psi for my street tune..

I can't wait to see what you all think in person and when it's tuned!

but only 10 lbs??

just kidding, it should be fun
There's no replacment for displacment (all 185 ci )
I'm guessing I'll be at about 350 HP/TQ at the wheels with only 7-10 psi
There's no replacment for displacment (all 185 ci )
I'm guessing I'll be at about 350 HP/TQ at the wheels with only 7-10 psi

I guess that .6L and 2 more cylinders would do that
telling you dave -

you run WAY more boost - but get less HP per # than the duratec and maybe even my ol Iron Block Brick . . .
I'm gonna run more than 10
Originally posted by stilov:

I'm already running more than 10.

Wait, you're talking about psi, not horsepower. DANG!

Originally posted by Derk-xB:

Originally posted by Pinebox:

he means wheel size derek -

as in get some that are bigger than 10's
I'm just getting the relays all wired in, routed cleanly soldered, heat shrinked, heat protection wrap..... and all the good stuff done. Funny how you need headlights, a functional accusump and IC pump to actually break in a car legally and safely

Now to get my mits on an IAT and put my dash/console back together
I had to run all over town yesterday finding a few misc electircla connectors in order to connect my O2 guage (NB) so that I can have half a prayer at leaning the ol girl out. if not shell stay a fat rich pig until I can get her to someone who can tune her.
Give me the low down on your setup and what you want done. I'll be down in my old neck of the woods and might be able to pop in that Volvo shop.

I asked Heath @ Modular Madness, but he looked at me like I was nuts for even asking

I have worked out a deal to get a club dyno day deal. 10-19 we can get a wide band dyno session (Up to 3 runs each) for $55 each, and if we get 20+ it'd be $45 It is a Mustang dyno though...
Give me the low down on your setup and what you want done. I'll be down in my old neck of the woods and might be able to pop in that Volvo shop.

I asked Heath @ Modular Madness, but he looked at me like I was nuts for even asking

I have worked out a deal to get a club dyno day deal. 10-19 we can get a wide band dyno session (Up to 3 runs each) for $55 each, and if we get 20+ it'd be $45 It is a Mustang dyno though...

the setup -

1982 Volvo 242
2.1L B21FT engine aprox compression is around 7.8:1 (low comp turbo motor baby) - it was originally a hot air car (no intercooler) but has since been retrofitted with the Volvo turbo IC.
Bosch K-jet mechanical fuel injection system unk system pressure, but has a 740 turbo in tank prepump.
Lambda sensor system
2.5" turbo back side exit exhuast. (that needs a major revamp and 3" with new cat and muffler)
Garret T3 watercooled center section running about 7-9 psi (id know better but I cant peg my boost needle because of the cylinder dropping)
M46 4speed with OD trans
stock volvo turbo rear end - should be the 1031

what else you wants to know?

and your car is done when?
IIRC, you've got a miss and you're running really rich? I might be down in that area today.

Talk about being antsy, I'm growing pincers I lost a few simple, but key items during my latest move.... one being a simple IAT. I've been able to round up everything else, but am waiting on a lame ol' IAT to be delivered by the brown suit bandits.

Atleast I have time to get my interior put back together while I'm waiting. T'is looking functional, yet sharp
so..........when do you think you can get it fired and start breaking it in?
IIRC, you've got a miss and you're running really rich? I might be down in that area today.

Talk about being antsy, I'm growing pincers I lost a few simple, but key items during my latest move.... one being a simple IAT. I've been able to round up everything else, but am waiting on a lame ol' IAT to be delivered by the brown suit bandits.

Atleast I have time to get my interior put back together while I'm waiting. T'is looking functional, yet sharp

I just finished motor mounts and a tranny mount - and installed an AM A/F guage- it is acting really strange - says im lean at WOT - but I know im not . . .
Originally posted by Horse:
says im lean at WOT - but I know im not . . .

Switch some wires?
Well I got my heads on and torqued down finally (today)...now I need to cold time the thing.
Originally posted by Horse:
says im lean at WOT - but I know im not . . .

Switch some wires?

one wire - its a "lambda" sensor not an "oxygen" sensor . . .

(ps - got to love old volvos - a new one is $10 from autozone!)
Originally posted by Pinebox:
so..........when do you think you can get it fired and start breaking it in?

As soon as the UPS guy finds time to make deliver my IAT, then I'll be running around SLC a lot. Mainly in the industrial area around 1300 South and between Bangater and Redwood Road to have just about have the streets to myself.... and to get some decent datalogging time in.

I'm going to try to get atleast 300 miles on 'er before she goes in for dyno tuning.
© CEG Archives