Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: stilov progress - 07/07/05 04:33 AM
well I got all my engine parts from the machine shop last fri...just started checking everything today...the shop told me everything was within specs and they micro polished the crank...I used the ol' plastigauge tonight just to make sure...everything is flawless...the smallest allowable clearance...it's like it is brand new!!!
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: progress - 07/07/05 08:45 AM
well - start putting it together

what shop did you stuff again?
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 07/07/05 01:20 PM
I used Clegg's in Orem
I had them hone the block, gap the rings, micropolish the crank, and balance the whole assembly...and they just got a new balancing machine...same one NASCAR uses...and my stuff was blanced on it!!!

Plus they measured te pistons etc, and saved me from a noisy motor when they realized the clearnce was too large piston-cylinder.
Posted By: Swazo Re: progress - 07/07/05 08:57 PM
That bad boy hardly had an mileage on it You should be off to a good start!

Bad news: The welder I had lined up to TIG my piping and a few other things has packed up and moved to California

Good news: I have the number to another "great" welder that my dad's friend swears by, so I'll let you know what I find out.
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 07/08/05 02:07 AM
well crank is in...spins like hot corn in butter...
what sucks is I don't have rod bolts!!! I thought I ordered them at the sae time I bought all the stuff for the block...it's been so long and I never really checked them...so I guess I need to order some new ones!!!
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 07/14/05 02:28 PM
well all the pistons are in...spins very smoothly, got the scraper, oil pump and pickup installed. Tonight will be the rear main seal, and I have 3 oil pans...I had the wrong one tapped and the fitting put on, so i have to go get it done AGAIN!!!
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 07/16/05 12:22 AM
Well the block is done with the exception of the rear main seal...oil pan to pistons is complete. I still need to cut the bushing and grind the alt tab. Wed the main seal and new mount should arrive...then goes the flywheel/clutch and tranny and into the car they go!!!
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: progress - 07/16/05 01:44 AM
oh baby - getting excited!!!
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 07/16/05 01:52 AM
freaking stoked!!!
Still need to spend money on a couple things
Turbo rebuild
turbo blanket
I/C exchanger
MAF
injectors
couple gaskets here and there
and a good boost controller
70 mm TB

I will have to modify a couple things...i/c so it will fit with the master cylinder there, figure out how to mount my bov with such a small amount of pipeing from turbo to TB.

Crap after typing all of it...I still have a ways to go!!
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: progress - 07/16/05 02:25 AM
Originally posted by stilov:

thats the way it will always be
Posted By: Swazo Re: progress - 07/16/05 02:46 AM
Originally posted by stilov:

I will have to modify a couple things...i/c so it will fit with the master cylinder there, figure out how to mount my bov with such a small amount of pipeing from turbo to TB.

Won't an elbow between the TB and IC work like you were thinking? I'm using a 3L UIM, so my TB is sitting at a 45* already

BOV should be fairly easy to mount. Just mount it on the section before the charge passes through the core (on either side where the inlet pipe dumps) Hole saw or a spade drill bit, and it'll be ready for the BOV bung to be welded in. That's my plan atleast.

BTW, I got my cat back fab'd up this morning. I'll be taking all of my piping to get TIG'd monday or tuesday if time permits. Now to get that dang P/S mount resolved
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 07/16/05 02:55 AM
that might work...I won't know until I get the motor in and heads done...my BOV just clamps on with a hose barb...I am sure I can figure something out.
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 08/06/05 10:52 PM
okay got the block and tranny in today...here comes soem ehad porting!!!
Posted By: Swazo Re: progress - 08/06/05 11:25 PM
Wear some eye protection With the carbide bits you're going to be cutting through the aluminum like butter with a hot knife
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: progress - 08/07/05 02:12 AM
you DID return that right taylor?
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 08/07/05 04:26 AM
I didn't...it really isn't that powerful...I tried it out and figured I could do the majority of cutting with it, and then leave a lot to finish with my RTX
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: progress - 08/07/05 05:01 AM
sounds good - as long as you can control it - that was my major concern
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 08/07/05 04:00 PM
well I really don't hink it has any more power than the RTX, but it accepts bigger bits...it also has a shield where you can progressively lower the control...the bits are long enough as well that I could use a fingertip control with a glove on. I will be extra careful as well, and use a grease like someone said it was either buchshot or bnoon.
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 08/20/05 06:46 PM
Well I started porting today...it is going very smoothly...I tried several different bits and I have found some that work very well!!!
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 09/17/05 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Horse:
you DID return that right taylor?

Well i should have...I about killed myself a couple weekends ago. I was porting and using one of Daymon (lended) carbide bits...it's about 6in long. I turn the router on and somehow it malfunctioned and bent the bit at about a 45 degree angle. (that wasn't the bad part)

It did not shut off. Does anyone know what a bent 6in long bit feels like spinning at 30k RPMS???

I could barely hold on..."TURN IT OF MORON!!!" you're thinking. Well it was one of those shielded switches. There was no way I could get the switch with it vibrating so hard. Imagine if I would have dropped it!! Well I realized I couldn't let go so I held on finally realized I could unplug it..scared the crap out of me!!

Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 09/17/05 05:39 PM
Well this is where I am at...

This is one head...I am close to being done with it. I have the rough cuts in the other head, so i am coming along.
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 09/17/05 05:43 PM
And my injectors are on their way, my flange/downpipe is on it's way. I got the rest of my gaskets from Bill.

And I got this little bad boy...

My T3/T4!!!

I still need my wastegate, MAF, and that's about it. Oh I also bought a lot of 3 Kenne Bell (Garrett) heat exchangers they use on the mustangs/cobras...I will be using one, so I have 2 for sale if anyone is interested.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: progress - 09/18/05 03:07 AM
Looks like there is a vacuum port on the flute of that turbo. I prefer using boost directly from the manifold.

Care to test your turbo knowledge?

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/portal?smap=turbo&page=turbofactsbenifits_IQtest&theme=P1&c=n
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 09/18/05 05:35 AM
well last time I had my gauge measuring from the manifold and the wastegate from the turbo...I see the point of taking boost from the manifold so you know what the engine is seeing, but really in my old set-up it didn't matter.

I adjusted the the wastegate until it saw 8psi at the motor...I didn't care what the turbo was pushing
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 11/06/05 04:05 PM
Well i got the engine cold timed yesterday...I put th correct pulse wheel on...now it's time for the timing cover!! VERY SLOWLY, but surely. (I don't have enough time!!!)
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 11/09/05 05:54 AM
So I forgot to cut off the ear on the head...so I pulled my motor tonight cut it off, got the power steering pump and pulley on and actually bolted the engine to the frame...before it was suspended...wow...how nice it feels to make GOOD progress. I busted a cv axle in the process, but oh well.
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 11/18/05 11:39 PM
Well I got my MSDS headers today...maybe some test fitting and cutting this weekend!!!
Posted By: stilov Re: progress - 12/31/05 08:04 PM
Well I got the rear header on and the a/c compressor and alt bracket and alt. Mostly the coolant hoses are ran. Still deciding on what to do with the manifold.
© CEG Archives