Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ZeroHour 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/22/06 01:04 AM
So my suspension project hit a good bump tonight.

I had the rear completely assemblied except for the tie rods. I was going to wait for those till tomorrow. I went to turn off the bench light and go upstairs, and guess what i found! The top plate to the strut! Things can never be easy.
Posted By: Black 98 CSVT Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/22/06 01:34 AM
oh man. been there done that
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/22/06 12:39 PM
Something will always go wrong, count on it!

Hopefully, you won't have any more issues getting the install completed.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/22/06 11:51 PM
Well kind running double posts now, but meh!

I got all the problems sorted out. Took the car for a test drive with just the new rear on it. I noticed some improvement but for reason posted already I didn't try to mess with it.

Originally posted by ZeroHour:
I noticed slight improvement but did not try to drive above the posted speed limits because one it was the test run, two dusk sunlight = zero visibility, three I passed the same cop twice. I was thinking of turning around just to wave as I drove past him again, but that might be rude.

Tomorrow begins the fronts!
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/23/06 12:38 AM
Hopefully the front will be easier for you. **fingers crossed**
Posted By: R_G Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/23/06 10:51 PM
Originally posted by LUCA:
Something will always go wrong, count on it!

Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/24/06 02:30 AM
at the rate I'm going I'll have one hand left by Saturday.

I spend 9 hours getting no where...

First out of the two T-55 torx bits we have, both were mia and only figured this out after cleaning the entire garage.

Not to mention 5 hours later I still can not get the lower control arm off. This is possibly the worst problem I have EVER had doing anything. Such a simple freakin object to just fall out of a open hole, but nooooo. It wants to stay in there. Or at least until I take the angle grinder cut the [censored] out and order two new LCA and laugh at the pieces of the old ones.
Posted By: Pen_Two Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/24/06 03:31 AM
This is possibly the worst problem I have EVER had doing anything.

Let me be the first to give you some motivation here and tell you,

"Wait till you need an alternator."

Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/24/06 12:44 PM
edited to remove dozens of mad faces:

No I could do the alternator especially since I have all the room in the world now that inner cv joint came out.

I saw to god I'm going to find a deer and throw into my car. I am just completely pissed at this point and I dont even want to think about this anymore.

I have no freakin clue how to do a CV joint nor do I have the extra money to go replacing $xxx parts or a way to tow this freakin car to a garage without a front axle.

Anyone in the area feel like making a road trip?
Posted By: Pen_Two Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/24/06 01:13 PM
Anyone in the area feel like making a road trip?

Sorry to hear of the latest news dude.

As for the request: "Loc: Eastern PA"

That's a big place buddy.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/24/06 03:42 PM
Lehighton PA. haha Actually 895 is closer to where I live. But I think 248 might be your ride into Lehighton.

And I thought your clutch was going? We don't need two contours Stuck in my drive way JK
Posted By: Pen_Two Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/24/06 05:47 PM
And I thought your clutch was going? We don't need two contours Stuck in my drive way JK

Lol! I thought it was, but I think my transmission is "unhappy." Some gears are occasionally very rough to get into, and sometimes it feels like the shift tower itself grinds on something. So, I have no clue. I'll probably find out when I go to this meet and can't make it back.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/24/06 08:03 PM
Hooray for Advanced autoparts never having parts!

I had to order strut bearings online. They won't be here till at least Monday next week.

But at least I have the Ball Joint Tool now
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/25/06 01:30 AM
Maybe next weekend we can come help you. Would that work?
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/25/06 02:31 AM
Haha It might. As of right now I believe I have gotten the cv joint back in. But it seems to come out fairly easy. So I'm not so sure if it is in correctly. Tomorrow I'll have to try to get a light and my camera taped to the fender.

The Strut bearings should be here next week while I'm at school and I'll have a three day weekend because of Labor day. I have the ball joint fork so that should aid in romoving the other side. Hopefully I will be able to wrap this up then next weekend.

I still can't believe how painful this has been. I did struts and springs on my brother's subaru and it was a PITA until we figured out how to do it. But this doesn't even begin to compare.
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/25/06 02:41 AM
It's a Contour, that's why you are having problems. Trust me, I know, anyone who has worked on one knows.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/25/06 02:05 PM
lol Most any project has its pita moments. This only part that wasn't a pita was ordering the springs and bushings. Everything after just went down hill...

I'm trying to think of cost to date:
Bushings: ~35
Springs: ~180
Struts: ~325
Strut Bearings: ~40
Propane Torch & Stricker: ~20
Undercoat & Paint: ~15
Ball Joint Tool & 6mm allen: ~15
Another floor jack: ~30

Total Cost: ~660
Posted By: Pen_Two Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/25/06 03:33 PM
You should never tally up the project cost. It usually makes things worse. Just try to think of how much better the car will be with the money invested.
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/25/06 06:05 PM
...and think of all the knowledge and experience you gained...
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/25/06 07:35 PM
haha I know, Its just a price limited college kid. And the orignal budget just about doubled.

And I had plenty of experienced be mad at stuff already.

The biggest let down right now is that I won't make the meet Saturday for frisbee golf. Not to mention with the extra 12+++ hours and all the time waiting on parts and researching, I'm coming down to line to get everything ready for college.

Althought right now the only thing missing off my list of stuff to get it duct tape looks like round 4 at walmart.
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/26/06 01:04 AM
Originally posted by 99 red SVT:
...and think of all the knowledge and experience you gained...

Really!

Duct tape? You gonna duct tape the suspension together.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: 4 steps forwards 8 steps back... - 08/26/06 05:30 AM
Duct tape suspension bearings are used in alot of european cars...lol

But I have that now. Just need to load up the blazer and maybe my dad's taurus tomorrow. And Its off to ESU Sunday.
© CEG Archives