Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Quick MA inspection question - 06/21/06 07:44 PM
Anyone know about the inspection rules? I registered my truck last week, and they told me that I had a week (I think it was, or was it 2) to get it inspected.

I didn't do it earlier, because the horn wouldn't work and I needed new wipers. I fixed both of those things last night. I am over a week though.

Are there late fees or penalties, etc.? Or am I just at risk by driving around without a sticker? I really don't have time (or $$) until end of next week.
Posted By: Snipey Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/21/06 07:59 PM
im pretty sure they dont charge you a late fee when you go to get your late inspection... but you are at risk of getting caught without up-to-date registration
im not proud of it but i was driving with a Rejection sticker since january and only got it passed end of april. luckily i didnt get caught but theres always the chance (supposedly $50 fine, but if youre related to Goonz you might lose your license )
Posted By: ElKy Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/21/06 09:19 PM
you have 7 days from date of registration.
and there are no late fees.
Posted By: rouar Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/21/06 09:50 PM
Definitely would recommend getting it inspected and then just tooling around with a Rejection sticker. You have 30 days to get the Rejection sticker fixed, and you don't have to pay to get it re-inspected. (at least I didn't in 2002 when the Contour failed for tie rod ends.)
Posted By: ElKy Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/22/06 01:52 AM
it all depends on what it fails for.
safety items have to be repaired immediately
and emmisions items have 60 days.
Posted By: rouar Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/22/06 02:14 AM
Originally posted by ElKy:
it all depends on what it fails for.
safety items have to be repaired immediately
and emmisions items have 60 days.

odd .. tie rods were definitely a safety issue, and I had 30 days no problem ..
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/22/06 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Rouar:
Definitely would recommend getting it inspected and then just tooling around with a Rejection sticker. You have 30 days to get the Rejection sticker fixed, and you don't have to pay to get it re-inspected. (at least I didn't in 2002 when the Contour failed for tie rod ends.)

Well, I already missed the 7 days. I don't have time to do it right now, and with all the repairs and registration expenses, etc. I really can't afford the $29 this week. It's that or gas to get to work!

Our $$ situation right now really sucks ! Trying to fix get fixed the Contour really bled us dry!
Posted By: ronin45 Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/25/06 10:09 PM
yeah, i had a rejection sticker on my svt for about two months before i got around to getting it fixed. failed due to window tinting but the most cops ever said was to get it done asap. i just didn't have that much time back then since i just started a new job and didn't wake up that early on the weekends. plus, i just kinda forgot about it but yeah just get it done as soon as you can and i'm really sorry to hear about the car.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 11:37 AM
got the SVT inspected saturday.
only needed safety so it was quick and easy.

but today on teh way to work a threw a CEL!
blah!!!
Posted By: JSmith_dup1 Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 11:43 AM
Better to have the CEL after inspection rather than before.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 11:45 AM
wouldnt matter really, since my brother in law did the sticker.
he looked at the old one, saw that i just needed safety and smiled.

put my info intot the computer, hit the 'P' button a bunch of times and printed out my sticker.
hehe
Posted By: JSmith_dup1 Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 12:01 PM
ahhh... The CEL isn't a safety issue.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 12:52 PM
wouldnt matter really, since my brother in law did the sticker.
he looked at the old one, saw that i just needed safety and smiled.

put my info intot the computer, hit the 'P' button a bunch of times and printed out my sticker.
hehe

I don't suppose he would do mine would he? I probably need the whole thing, but am not too sure it will pass...
Posted By: ElKy Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 01:04 PM
unfortunatly i don't think he will.
he works at a dealership and they watch closely.
he said he couldnt do goonerzoobombies (and i didnt even tell him he was brown)

i think he does it/ gets away with it because i am 'family'

sorry
Posted By: ElKy Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 07:15 PM
cel turned out to be a P0455, large evap leak.
gas cap was tight and since the code got cleared it hasnt come back.
but we will see.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 07:41 PM
do you mean that you tightened the gas cap, and now there's no CEL?
or are you saying the gas cap was too tight causing the CEL?
Posted By: ElKy Re: Quick MA inspection question - 06/26/06 07:59 PM
i tightened the gas cap after the code was cleared.
and the cel never came on the whole ride home.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Quick MA inspection question - 07/07/06 04:41 PM
I finally got it inspected today. Good news is that it passed emissions, bad news is that it DID NOT pass safety.

I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT TO THE LITTLE SHOP IN MY TOWN! THEY NEVER CHECK ANYTHING!

He said that I need a new front driver's side ball joint and wheel bearing. Since it's a safety failure, I'm not supposed to drive it. Another piece of good news, once I get it fixed if I go back to the same shop, they will reinspect it for FREE! Weehaa!

Anyone know if I can just take it to another shop and have them inspect it? One that I know is lax. Or is it all computerized and I'm screwed now.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Quick MA inspection question - 07/07/06 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Mean'Tour:

He said that I need a new front driver's side ball joint and wheel bearing. Since it's a safety failure, I'm not supposed to drive it. Another piece of good news, once I get it fixed if I go back to the same shop, they will reinspect it for FREE! Weehaa!

I think they always do that. They do in NH anyway.

I'm pretty sure you can take it to another place and they'd be none the wiser.

Hopefully you do still get those things fixed eventually, even if you pass.
Gotta keep the car safe to protect the kiddo.
Posted By: cruises8_dup1 Re: Quick MA inspection question - 07/07/06 05:06 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
Originally posted by Ex-Mean'Tour:

I think they always do that. They do in NH anyway.

Concord Lincoln Mercury charged me an additional $13 to reinspect when the SVT failed due to tires.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Quick MA inspection question - 07/07/06 06:20 PM
re-inspecttion is free at the shop that did the original inspection.

you can bring it to another place, but they will charge you $29 and they will see the reject sticker.
and odds are the other place will notice the ball joint if they check the front end like they are supposed to.

a bad ball joint isnt anything to fugg with either.
depending on how bad it is, it could fail on you at any time causing you more problems or even your life.

the mechanic wouldnt be able to tell it was a ball joint and bearing, unless the bearing was so bad he could hear/feel it when he spun the wheel.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Quick MA inspection question - 07/07/06 06:50 PM
Yes, I would get them fixed eventually. Now couldn't be a worse time though.

There are no signs or symptoms that I'm aware of. When the Contours front bearings went they made horrible noises especially when turning. But I saw the truck up on the front lift and watched him wiggling the tire...

I knew what he was checking (I didn't know it was part of an inspection however).

Great, what is that going to cost? Anyone? It is a 4x4.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Quick MA inspection question - 07/07/06 06:54 PM
re-inspection is free at the shop that did the original inspection.

you can bring it to another place, but they will charge you $29 and they will see the reject sticker.
and odds are the other place will notice the ball joint if they check the front end like they are supposed to.

a bad ball joint isnt anything to fugg with either.
depending on how bad it is, it could fail on you at any time causing you more problems or even your life.

the mechanic wouldnt be able to tell it was a ball joint and bearing, unless the bearing was so bad he could hear/feel it when he spun the wheel.

I did know about the re-inspection being free, I was just being sarcastic.

They wouldn't see the reject sticker if I took it off. That was what I was thinking.

I KNOW the other place wouldn't notice the ball joint. When I took the Contour there a few months ago, all I did was sit in there turn on the lights, honk the horn, etc. Then he got in and told me my wipers were too bad and wouldn't pass. Then he sold me replacements.

That was it.

But I guess it is good to know that there is a potential problem. The timing for a NEW $$ problem couldn't be worse.

Maybe I'll be back on the bike for the rest of the summer.
© CEG Archives