Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: baco99 RAIN! - 05/15/06 12:19 AM
Holy crap. Make it stop!!!!!!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 12:27 AM
Originally posted by baco99:
Holy crap. Make it stop!!!!!!!

your tellin me, my car got stuck at my friends place cause I cant get outa his town, all the roads are flooded!
Posted By: rouar Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 12:34 AM
Yes.

It was 75 degrees and beautiful out ... all through my finals week when I was inside cursing the sun.

It has been consistently very cold and rainy since my classes ended on May 2nd and is predicted to do so till graduation on the 20th.

Talk about a damper to any senior activities. Most I've done with friends this past week is watch a bunch of movies while cursing the rain. (And drink of course, though it's no fun when you can't go on sketchy excursions across campus or town.) We had all sorts of plans including tent parties, BBQs and road trips.

At least my Maxima can tolerate the wetness. The Contour got this funny loud whine whenever it had to tackle the slightest of puddles, which made me afraid to drive it in rain. I hate driving any vehicle in the rain - actually prefer driving in snow rather than rain.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 01:20 AM
This is insane!

Anyone getting leaks and floods?

Stay safe, hang tough!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 02:17 AM
Be safe everyone. The rain is crazy (we're getting it here in IL also).
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 02:23 AM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
This is insane!

Anyone getting leaks and floods?

Stay safe, hang tough!

yea, my town river is overflowing and the dam is cracking..Im concerned on our drive to SZ now, with this rain, its gonna get tough
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 03:18 AM
At least the rain doesn't make you want to be outside as much during finals week, and you have nothing better to do but study.
Posted By: FrozenSection Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 10:35 AM
Can't believe that it's the middle of May and we still need to turn the furnace on regularly -- just a few weeks ago, we thought we were done with oil use for the season.

Hope everyone, esp. North Shore and NH folks, are hangin' in there with all this water. In the grand scheme of things, it hasn't been too bad here in Newton.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 10:56 AM
Work is closed for Steve and I today. We work in the Millyard in Manchester, which is right along the Merrimack river.
The footage on the news this morning is just insane!

Mike and I are also slightly concerned about the drive to SZ.
We're just trying to wait things out for now and go from there.

Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 11:17 AM
Be safe up there everyone!
Posted By: ElKy Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 12:21 PM
my sump pump has been on constantly all weekend, my backyard is underwater, my garage roof is leaking everywhere, my breezway is leaking, and i have a waterfall running down the side of my chimney in my family room.

almost lost the SVT in the trench on saturday going to do the LCAs.

there is a temporary bridge on the merrimac behind where kim works that they put up while doing road construction, it is completely under water and the river is up to some of the windows on the mill buildings.

ths sucks.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 12:24 PM
My boss called me and said the ground level parking garage where our execs park has 3 feet of water!

It's nice to be home for the day to keep an eye on things, but at the same time, I wanted to get some stuff done at work before leaving for SZ. ohhhh well!
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 12:39 PM
Mike, I'm really sorry to hear about all that water leaking in.
I was checking out the weather channel and saw all the flood warning/watches.

Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 12:52 PM
yeah it is pretty bad, I was home yesterday and it wasn't rainging there but my father had to dif a hole outside of the basement and put a sump pump in there to help with the water as we are about 3 feet above the water table, chances are now we are under the water table, as the back yard is flooded.

I am sure the rain will clear out, we will just have to take our time getting to SZ, no rush right?

I am alittle concerned about my apartment as it is slightly underground, but no leaks as of yet, the parking lot is about one floor up so the hill banks sharply down to the building, the spot where water was rushing under the stairs to my apartment in the rain has been plugged so that it good ...
Posted By: Cueball Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 01:04 PM
I had a little water in the garage, but it would have been much, much worse if I had not installed some drainage last fall...

My town, Hooksett, is under a state of emergency and I had to pass two National Guard checkpoints to get out this morning (using my 2nd alternate route). Fun stuff.
Posted By: getsum111 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 03:20 PM
Just thinking of you guys as I saw the news this a.m. Stay safe!
Posted By: DefZ Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 04:21 PM
Ugh - this is painful. Rain has slowed temp in Brighton for the moment - but this sucks. We haven't washed a car in a week.
Posted By: bishop375_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 04:42 PM
Our pump started Saturday... unfortunately, the PVC that it was running out to had a cracked coupling and was dumping the water right back into the basement as it was pumping back out.

Our basement had about 4"- 5" of even water coverage, and we spent a good few hours last night using our shopvac to take up 12gal of water at a time and put it right back to the pump.

And of course, there's a ton of seepage since the ground is soaked, so it just catches right back up to where we drained.

We had to revamp some of our drainage, too.

*sigh*

Homeownership.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 04:52 PM
man this is a horrible way to start summer
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 05:11 PM
I guess everyone is getting hit much harder than me for some reason. It's rainy and messy out but nothing like the flooding you guys are talking about.

It was the first few days of the rain, tons of roads were blocked around here. It just started to come down heavy again here and only going to get heavier as the day goes on.

Such a pain in the arse trying to mod my car for SZ with all this rain. I gotta paint my calipers today. I have a garage but the temp. and moisture in the air doesn't help too much.
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 05:34 PM
I haven't had any water issues but this rain is crazy. There are some road problems in my town though. We are all gonna look like blinded moles when the sun comes out . I feeling a little low in the vitamin D department .
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 05:37 PM
yeah I have had very little energy the last few days because of the rain ... I feel like sleeping right now and staring at data isn't going to help at all ...
Posted By: cruises8_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 05:45 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
My boss called me and said the ground level parking garage where our execs park has 3 feet of water!

It's nice to be home for the day to keep an eye on things, but at the same time, I wanted to get some stuff done at work before leaving for SZ. ohhhh well!

I hear ya! I have soooo much crap to get done before we leave thursday! Now I have to try and squeeze it into 2 days. Oh well, it will will be there when I get back.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 05:45 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:
yeah I have had very little energy the last few days because of the rain ... I feel like sleeping right now and staring at data isn't going to help at all ...

The only thing keeping me going is the fact that I need to finish my car. But everytime I get home and stop for a few mins and sit down, I just want to sleep.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 05:49 PM
well your car doesn't need to be finished, mine is still a work in progress, had some things "fall" into place the last week, luckly this A/C shouldn't kill me though, but its some money I wasn't planning on ...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 05:54 PM
well your car doesn't need to be finished, mine is still a work in progress, had some things "fall" into place the last week, luckly this A/C shouldn't kill me though, but its some money I wasn't planning on ...

It does NEED to be finished. At least in my eyes it does. Doing up my car for SZ is important to me. Only some locals have seen my car and it's my first SZ so I want it to be good.

The wheels and tires set me back a pretty penny. $1300

I'm barely going to have enough cash to get to SZ, then the rest comes into my checking account Friday morning through direct deposit for work.
Posted By: rouar Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 05:58 PM
Guys I want pics! I'm high and dry here in Worcester, and even Millbury is okay to my knowledge right now (odd since we were at the height of the flooding last fall link ). ElKy that yard sounds insane - I was wondering how that trench was holding up.
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 06:12 PM
daaaang, I just shuffled through the pic's on NH's WMUR.com and it looks pretty back back home....

Cheer up guys, I get enough sun for everyone down here where it's a 100 degrees and sunny everyday ...
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 06:18 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

It does NEED to be finished. At least in my eyes it does. Doing up my car for SZ is important to me. Only some locals have seen my car and it's my first SZ so I want it to be good.

The wheels and tires set me back a pretty penny. $1300

I'm barely going to have enough cash to get to SZ, then the rest comes into my checking account Friday morning through direct deposit for work.

trust me I know what you mean, I rather not show anything off until it is done and done to the best of my ability. But its crunch time and you can only get so much done

at least don't be like Elky and change the brakes and oil right before you leave, or maybe that is a good thing

I am sure we can all help you out if you need it on the trip out, what else is traveling in a group for?
Posted By: ElKy Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 06:32 PM

at least don't be like Elky and change the brakes and oil right before you leave, or maybe that is a good thing

hey now.
the oil was changed on saturday, along with tthe fuel filter which was amazingly spotless.
tonight will be drivers side axle, since my nimrod brother in law melted the inner boot with the torch!
they werent even showing signs of cracking either and they were original!
thats an extra $80 i wasnt expecting to spend.

also when i did my LCAs the original bolts were still gold!

oh and i put in the pole120 rear mount too.
fun fun !
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 06:46 PM
yeah the A/C is fixed, just need to get the alignment straightened out
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 07:57 PM
just got my car back from my buddies, all the roads were flooded. My inake is drenched and the car is completely running like arse, it needs a good dry time

also it was at a shop where I was getting my axle looked at. My axle is fine, apparently while the car was jacked up on a lift the mechanic was driving it to see the rims and it appeared that the tires were not spinning smoothly, they were bumping right and left and not flush on the tire!i do have the hubcaps too.. thats soo messed up! I dont know how to tackle this one now, worse come to worse I'll hafta put in my stock E0's for the trip ughh
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 08:43 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:

hey now.
the oil was changed on saturday, along with tthe fuel filter which was amazingly spotless.
tonight will be drivers side axle, since my nimrod brother in law melted the inner boot with the torch!

Wow, guess I wasn't the only one to do that, well mine was the outer CV boot I set on fire with a torch. I was wondering why grease was dropping on the floor lol was having serious trouble with the pinch bolt and felt the need to use a torch (figured replacing the ball joint anyway) but got the CV somehow...

And speaking of rain got to change an alt in the rain yesterday on a GMC truck. But used a tarp over the hood and fence to make a tent. Kept me dry and the engine bay.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
also it was at a shop where I was getting my axle looked at. My axle is fine, apparently while the car was jacked up on a lift the mechanic was driving it to see the rims and it appeared that the tires were not spinning smoothly, they were bumping right and left and not flush on the tire! i do have the hubcaps too .. thats soo messed up! I dont know how to tackle this one now, worse come to worse I'll hafta put in my stock E0's for the trip ughh

Huh?
Posted By: Ed98.5SVT Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 10:30 PM
The road about 1/2 mile from here collapsed yesterday. My road eroded quite a bit and there was a stream flowing over it all day yesterday. We drove through Goffstown last night and it was like those specials on the weather channel "storm stories". The water flowing over the damn in Goffstown was unbelievable.

Insane!!!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: RAIN! - 05/15/06 11:09 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
also it was at a shop where I was getting my axle looked at. My axle is fine, apparently while the car was jacked up on a lift the mechanic was driving it to see the rims and it appeared that the tires were not spinning smoothly, they were bumping right and left and not flush on the tire! i do have the hubcaps too .. thats soo messed up! I dont know how to tackle this one now, worse come to worse I'll hafta put in my stock E0's for the trip ughh

Huh?

hubrings
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/16/06 01:02 AM
They cancelled work for tomorrow too.
Too bad the weather is so crappy. I could get some kick ass waxing done on the truck with all this free time.
Posted By: ElKy Re: RAIN! - 05/16/06 11:42 AM
i am at work today..pewper.
i also might not have the SVT ready for this week.
i spent 5 hours in the garage (soaking wet garage) trying to get my drivers side axle out of the tranny.
i bent a prybar and broke a prybar.
i even went out searching for one of those special tools that todles likes t use.
i pounded on that thing with a slide hammer for a long time, it will not budge!

so i pulled the axle apart and will try to get a new boot tonight, and hope and pray that everything will be ok.
with my luck the clip that is fighting me will break off in the tranny on the way out to SZ and trash it.
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/16/06 12:25 PM
elky, those quick boots might work well for you in this case, you know the type that is split and you glue together. we used one on our taurus way back, in the winter no less, it held and I think we sold the car with it that way, gl either way
Posted By: ElKy Re: RAIN! - 05/16/06 01:07 PM
no quick boot, but an actual replacement boot.
i have the end of the axle apart, now all ihave to do is put the new boot on, grease it up and put it back together.

if the end of the axle in the tranny isnt bent i might will do this to get me thru SZ, otherwise i will be pulling the passenger side and punching the drivers side out.
Posted By: JSmith_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/16/06 01:33 PM
I can't wait for it to stop. Its killing me, I can't work.

We managed to get in a half a day yesterday, but today looks like a complete wash.

I feel for all of you folks with water problems. The rivers around here aren't yet at crisis stage but they're getting there as the water flows down from up north.

The soil here is pretty sandy so as soon as the rain lets up for an hour or so the water soaks in.

First it was heavy rain for a week in october now almost the same thing again in May. I guess we're getting all the rain we were supposed to have in april, just that its all happening in one week.
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: RAIN! - 05/16/06 01:55 PM
I have to go out and do work in the rain First up today is a 2003 Mazda Protege. Just front pads. Second will be my tour, rear brakes, new drums, wheel cylinders, brake hose, shoes, and retract springs. The wheel cylinders is leaking badly now and I can't wait. Plus all the noise from the shoes to drums coated with brake fluid. 18ft by 20ft tarp should do the trick in keeping me dry.

I pray this will stop soon, I feel for those in the areas getting hit hard, plus the flooding. Be safe, drive safe if you go out in this crap.

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/16/06 06:08 PM
Elky,

I've had my share of PITA axles. The best way besides the slide hammer method is to wedge a prybar in there and then hit the CV joint housing with a hammer to get the c-clip unstuck. If you do that and try different spots on the axle by rotating it, it will eventually pop free. I broke several pry bars just trying to use the bar by itself. My method works best with two people doing the work. One person prying and the other person tapping. Good luck.

Rick
Posted By: ElKy Re: RAIN! - 05/16/06 06:10 PM
hrrmm..
i like that idea!
i will try that when i get home.
other wise i will either just replace the boot and limp to SZ and save the new axle for when i get home, or i will pull the passenger side axle and punch the drivers side out.
Posted By: JSmith_dup1 Re: RAIN! - 05/17/06 12:30 AM
this afternoon it stopped raining for a minute and I saw a little patch of blue sky hiding in the clouds. I got excited and told everyone, then it started to rain again but then a few minutes later I thought I saw shadows outside, I went out to see and it was sprinkling lightly but they sky was blue and the sun was out for just a bit until the sun set behind the trees.
© CEG Archives