Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: baco99 Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/05/06 02:32 PM
I can't be stopped!

1973 VW Karmann Ghia convertible with the rare Auto-Stick option.

Good engine and transmission (I think!). Needs floors, front fenders, and interior.

I have a sickness.

It's painted red, but original color is green on tan.

Anyone want to help me take this home this weekend...???? I'll pay, provide food, beer, etc...
this weekend is bad for us.
The trailer is undergoing modifications to cater to the SVT, we're doing yardwork, and we're attending a party.
sorry man

and I agree, you definitely have a sickness.

edit: forgot to say congrats on your new project car.
I like those a lot. Wish I could help out but the only trailer I know of is in PA this weekend. My friend has the same sickness.
Posted By: Cueball Re: Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/05/06 03:33 PM
Nice wheels. Oh yeah - you are SICK!
Posted By: baco99 Re: Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/05/06 03:56 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
this weekend is bad for us.
The trailer is undergoing modifications to cater to the SVT, we're doing yardwork, and we're attending a party.
sorry man

and I agree, you definitely have a sickness.

edit: forgot to say congrats on your new project car.

if you would seriously be willing to help, i can maybe ask the seller to wait until next weekend. i can pass papers this weekend and just pick it up whenever you're free.

it's generally closer to you too. I'm picking it up in Georgetown and taking it ot my Dad's in Haverhill.

sounds like my mothers first car. green over tan, autostick. i know she loved that car til it started falling apart. where did you find it?
Posted By: baco99 Re: Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/05/06 04:03 PM
for anyone who's counting, this is old car #5:

1974 MGB GT - Sold
1979 MGB parts car - Stripped and dumped
1973 Mercedes 280 - Sold
1988 Saab 900 Turbo - Sold

and now this. incidentally, an orange KG convertible is what started this all about 7 years ago. i was going to buy it for $500 before the owner's son came over and took it. then the car search began!

also, if anyone knows someone with an old 40s or 50s pickup, gimme a holler.

we honestly wouldn't have time to do this until mid June
way too much ish going on with us lately.
Posted By: baco99 Re: Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/05/06 04:04 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
we honestly wouldn't have time to do this until mid June
way too much ish going on with us lately.

no worries. i may use Uhaul.
Originally posted by baco99:
for anyone who's counting, this is old car #5:

1974 MGB GT - Sold
1979 MGB parts car - Stripped and dumped
1973 Mercedes 280 - Sold
1988 Saab 900 Turbo - Sold

and now this.

As a fellow old-car lover, all I can say is... ROCK ON!

I'd love to help you out and check out the ride, but this is a really bad month for me. Definitely post some photos when you get a chance.
Posted By: TGO Re: Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/07/06 04:18 AM
please explain the auto stick feature.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/07/06 08:03 AM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
schweeet double post!!!!
Posted By: baco99 Re: Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/08/06 01:21 AM
Originally posted by TGO:
please explain the auto stick feature.

i'm still learning about it, but it is not common in Ghias. Seen mostly in buses and Type III delivery vans.

it's basically a manual, but without a clutch pedal. You still have to shift through the 3 forward gears to get moving. when you touch the gear stick, a switch activates a series of vaccuums that release the clutch. It all happens very quickly as you move the gearstick. once you let go of the stick, the vaccuums disengage and the car slips into the next gear. pretty neat! when you come to a complete stop, the brake pedal also disengages the clutch so you can get it back into 1st.

the car needs floors and doglegs. aside from that, the body and frame are in good shape. needs a new top, but the top frame is complete. electrical system is simple and complete, as is the engine. the motor is clean and ready to run.

i can't wait!
Posted By: TGO Re: Oh no...Just bought another rust bucket - 05/13/06 12:22 AM
sounds cool...wonder if it works well ?

EDIT: it'd be funny if it worked better than BMW's crappy SMG - and it probably does!
Posted By: baco99 ANOTHER UH OH!... Got my 2-wheelin license. - 06/12/06 12:55 PM
Passed the exam this weekend. Need bike.

my buddy's first car was a karman ghia...that thing got some looks...he had some funky exhaust on it called a "zoom tube" i believe, thing made some serious noise for a little car...he also had a MGB GT shortly after that too...we called that thing the alphabet, haha, so many letters for such a little car, good luck with the new project
© CEG Archives