Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 01:02 PM
Kinda funny how life is sometimes:

Last month, on my mother's birthday, we went to a wake for a girl my mother practically raised for the first few years of her life. She was a childhood playmate for me until we moved. The funeral was the day after the wake.

This past weekend, Mike's grandmother passed away after an illness, at the age of 94. My birthday is tomorrow, so is the wake. The funeral is on Wednesday.

It's kinda creepy.
My father's birthday is in May, and my younger brother's bday is the day after. I hope the trend does not continue. That would be a rough month.
The coincidences are all too weird for me.

I'm glad I don't put a lot of stock into birthdays. I like being able to sneak under the radar and not have everyone make a fuss out of me on my birthday.
It'll be nice to see everyone put that energy into helping the family grieve.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 01:15 PM
Posted By: ElKy Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 01:23 PM
sucks...

Posted By: ronin45 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 01:26 PM
wow, i'm extremely sorry to hear that and i hope that mike and his family are doing ok. it seems that him and his family are really close so it must be pretty rough but everything will be ok in the end. gotta keep that chin up ya know sorry
Posted By: Cueball Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 01:43 PM
You have my condolences.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 01:47 PM
bleh. HR denied my request for leave. Apparently company policy doesn't allow for bereavement leave for spouse's family.
So much for when two become one and all that fancy marriage lingo. Luckily I earn more vacation days than Mike.

We have a decent relationship with his family.
We try to see them all as much as possible.
I think if Mike's mom wasn't around so much, I'd really love his family that much more. (I keed, I keed!)
Posted By: ElKy Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 01:55 PM
your company sucks....blah
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 02:12 PM
That sucks, sorry to hear.

My birthday is only 4 days after yours, so happy birthday tomorrow, at least.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 02:37 PM
I doublechecked the policy - I only get leave for spouse and spouse's parent. Doesn't go as far as grandparent.
I guess that's reasonable.

cruises8's wife's bday is also tomorrow.
Posted By: rouar Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 03:11 PM
I'm beginning to be disgusted by the types of "vacation hours" and "bereavement leave" and other specified whatnot that companies set. If your job doesn't require you to be there for a specific time or to work in person with others then I feel you should be paid for the amount of work you're able to accomplish. Perhaps this is my ignorance of "the real world" showing.

I'm sorry to hear about Mike's grandmother, though she is very lucky to have lived as long as she did.

and ... happy birthday?
Posted By: baco99 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 04:24 PM
definitely makes one stop and think, eh?
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 07:53 PM
My thoughts and prayers to you, Mike and his family.

My husband's grandmother passed away two days before my sister-in-laws b'day and three days before mine. The veiwing was on her b'day and the funeral on mine.
I was kinda weird when everyone sang happy birthday to us at the reception following the funeral.

My MIL made all the arrangements and then realized that the services would be on our b'days, she wanted to cancel but we wouldn't let her. B'day are over rated when you get older.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 08:06 PM
Originally posted by LUCA:

B'day are over rated when you get older.

damn skippy
Posted By: Cueball Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 08:50 PM
Yeah - I try to forget mine every year but my sister has to remind me. Yuck!
Posted By: JSmith_dup1 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/10/06 09:10 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this.
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: Funeral on a Birthday - 04/13/06 03:35 PM
Thank you everyone, for your kind words.
© CEG Archives