Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CSVT1214 Woot woot! - 03/09/06 05:15 PM
I just got a email this morning saying that want to interview me tomorrow morning at 10 am for a full time Network Technician position that just opened up. I applied last week for it. It was only a 5 day job posting and did not even announce it outside East Hartford Public Schools. So I don't think many actually applied for it.

My current position with the school system is great but it's only 19 hours a week, so I still continue to work my other bullsh*t job to make up for it.

This job starts at 41-46k and is only 34 hours a week.

I hope I get it.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 05:23 PM
good deal, good luck
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 05:27 PM
nice!
good luck!
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 05:30 PM
Good luck! Knock 'em dead.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 05:30 PM
dammn you!!!

you know i love you
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 05:32 PM
Only thing I'm kinda pissed off about is that it is so last minute. I'm nervous and feel unprepared for it.

I was actually deleting my school email today, deleted the one about the interview, then went back a read it after I caught the subject of it.
Posted By: rouar Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 07:30 PM
wow congrats!!!! I've just started applying for jobs too. Good luck at that interview, it sounds like a sweet position...
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 07:34 PM
Hey tony, just curious, do you have any certifications or anything like that? I'd like to think that I'm capable of similar jobs but only have some experience, no A+ certs or mcse for me which makes me think I'm less likely to get a job like that.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 07:43 PM
Originally posted by hotdimmes:
Hey tony, just curious, do you have any certifications or anything like that? I'd like to think that I'm capable of similar jobs but only have some experience, no A+ certs or mcse for me which makes me think I'm less likely to get a job like that.

I would think that a degree would help you with that
Posted By: xchang_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 09:02 PM
Coming from a Professional in the field, I do believe now a days, certs are not as important in Tech fields, unless you are part of a large consulting team. I have no certs, no classes, but I have enouogh knowledge from experience that I can get my certs without problems, but I don't want to pay the $150 to $2k for the classes to then pay the same amount for the tests.

Good luck in your interview, and a word of advice. Don't be nervous, be yourself and make sure you let them know you are a people person... only if you really are.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 09:26 PM
Steve, I agree with you 100%. Degrees for working in the technician field are totally useless. I don't know how many times a day I have to turn people away for jobs because they just don't cut it when it comes to repairs and diagnostics. They can have 4 years of college behind them and it proves nothing about servicing computers.

I went to a tech. school for only 1 year to get my certs (A+ Hardware, A+ Software, MCP, and Security +). I did it only because it's something good to have along with hands on experience, but certs. alone do not cut it.

Chris, if you want to get into a job with computers, you need to get some hands on experience first before trying to jump into it. Take a lower paying, decent job first doing repairs then when you feel comfortable with your skills, try for something better.

That's how I did it. I've worked at my other job for almost 5 years now. Started when I just turned 16, no drivers license. The knowledge I gained from this place is something a school can never offer you.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 09:28 PM
I still have 4-5 years of pharmacy school left I wanna make money now
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

please, that is one of the most highly payed jobs right out of college, and they are in demand ...
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 10:19 PM
I already have a pretty good amount of work experience in the tech field for networking/pc repair etc. I'll have a computer engineering degree in May but that's kind of related but kind of not y'know? Im just trying to explore my work options...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Woot woot! - 03/09/06 10:37 PM
I already have a pretty good amount of work experience in the tech field for networking/pc repair etc. I'll have a computer engineering degree in May but that's kind of related but kind of not y'know? Im just trying to explore my work options...

I think you are on the right track then. Takes time to get into the field but when you get something good, you are pretty much set from there.
Posted By: xchang_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/10/06 12:00 AM
Originally posted by BrApple:

please, that is one of the most highly payed jobs right out of college, and they are in demand ...

And the most highly robbed from at the pharmacy... lol. That is a lot of work, but that profession MASSIVELY pays off later on.

I have a 5 year degree in CIS and to tell you the truth, I only needed the two years for some programming and business IS stuff. Otherwise, everything is experience. Lemme tell you, if you are going into the education arena, start learning up on Novell. Most schools around michigan are Novell. Don't ask, but they are. Never understood it myself. ???
Posted By: xchang_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/10/06 12:06 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

I think you are on the right track then. Takes time to get into the field but when you get something good, you are pretty much set from there.

Yeah, my luckiest break was helping out a lady that worked as the director for a healthcare company in town. She loved my knowledge that she offered me a part time position at HealthCare Midwest. That part time job paid 2.5X more than fulltime at Best Buy. That was my biggest break.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Woot woot! - 03/10/06 01:21 AM
Originally posted by xchang:

And the most highly robbed from at the pharmacy... lol. That is a lot of work, but that profession MASSIVELY pays off later on.

I have a 5 year degree in CIS and to tell you the truth, I only needed the two years for some programming and business IS stuff. Otherwise, everything is experience. Lemme tell you, if you are going into the education arena, start learning up on Novell. Most schools around michigan are Novell. Don't ask, but they are. Never understood it myself. ???

Still Novell? My school system has just finally phased out Novell completely.

Still a few old computer kicking around the school that I've found to have Novell but don't actually use it for the domain.
Posted By: xchang_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/10/06 01:47 AM
Yeah, it is an endless cycle with Novell. They keep coming out with upgrades that never cease to amaze how many bugs are in it until they fix it with SPs... LOL!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Woot woot! - 03/10/06 03:01 AM
Originally posted by xchang:

Im almost suicidle..im not gonna lie..soo much work, i haven seen my friends in months!!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Woot woot! - 03/24/06 04:04 AM
Well, I got this email yesterday. Sound good?

Quote:

Tony,

Please be available on Tuesday March 28th at 10 am to meet with Mr. Jan Skolnick, the director of human resources, in regard to your candidacy for the Network Technician position. This meeting will take place at the board office in Mr. Skolnick�s office. Please confirm.

Thank you,

Guy Collins
Supervisor of Information Technology
East Hartford Public Schools
1110 Main Street
East Hartford, Ct 06118
Phone: (860) 622-5150
Email: Gcollins@easthartford.org

Posted By: wontgrowup_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/24/06 04:06 AM
Way to go man....Knock 'em dead
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Woot woot! - 03/24/06 01:06 PM
aaalllright
Posted By: CSVT1214 GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 01:09 AM
Had my meeting this morning and it went great. End of the meeting, they just kinda looked around at each other in silence, and then after a couple mins, looked at me and said, alright you start Monday.

$23.50 an hour, 35 hours a week, $822.50 a week, $42,770 a year. Not bad for 20 years old huh?

This job is going to be awesome and so much easier compared to my current job.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 01:26 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Had my meeting this morning and it went great. End of the meeting, they just kinda looked around at each other in silence, and then after a couple mins, looked at me and said, alright you start Monday.

$23.50 an hour, 35 hours a week, $822.50 a week, $42,770 a year. Not bad for 20 years old huh?

This job is going to be awesome and so much easier compared to my current job.

great deal, congrats, thats is really good for the first job
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 02:39 AM
Awesome, congratulations dude!
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 02:48 AM
Congratulations Tony!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 02:50 AM
Originally posted by LUCA:
Congratulations Tony!

Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 05:00 AM
Thanks everyon3

Off to b ed now, a few drinks and exhasted, nity night
Posted By: ctmystique Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 12:07 PM
Good job. Congrats to ya! That's totally awesome for a first "real" job.
Posted By: ElKy Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 12:39 PM
congrats!
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 12:49 PM
nice!
Posted By: baco99 Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 01:30 PM
nice one! that is a very good salary for the first effort.

Posted By: cruises8_dup1 Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 01:52 PM
Congrats!
Posted By: Nick98CSVT Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 02:34 PM
Congrats and good luck.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 02:39 PM
Posted By: FrozenSection Re: GOT THE JOB!!! - 03/29/06 08:10 PM
That's pretty sweet! and you probably don't have much in the way of educational loans, either.
© CEG Archives