Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: rouar I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/27/05 09:48 PM

My house is by the bottom of the "D" in "Springfield" ... we're up next!!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/27/05 10:16 PM
My town is getting hit the hardest in CT right now. I was driving when it started. The entire time all you can hear was thunder after thunder non-stop. I never heard anything like this in my life. It's just continuous lighting.

Tree in front of me when I was driving got hit and a bunch of bark and [censored] landed on my car.
i had to drive through the rain in hartford, for once I didn't mind having to do 40 -50 mph because it was raining that hard

I got home about 6 and now it is hitting here

I saw some good lighting over hartford coming down to the city. one was close enough I saw the flash and it sounded like a shot gun went off a second later
Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/27/05 10:25 PM
You know what, this storm just missed us COMPLETELY. It's something like the tenth decent storm this summer that went right around us. I'm angry now ... perhaps the second band will do something worthwhile ..
it just ended here, still raining some, temp dropped no less then 10 degrees
BIG STORMS here!!! Thank GOD for Rain-X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 12:05 AM
Originally posted by wontgrowup:
BIG STORMS here!!! Thank GOD for Rain-X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had that but still needed wipers!! OMG my car survived this storm on the highway!!! I though it woulda stall with the CAI!! man o man she SURVIVED!! she was stutering and etc. Got home and checked under the car, the filter was soaked beyong imagination, thank god for the bypass valve, but still a scary thought
did any else get to see the absolutely beautiful and colorful sky afterwards, it was breathtaking.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Manch-VegasSVT:
did any else get to see the absolutely beautiful and colorful sky afterwards, it was breathtaking.

I was too busy cleaning my filter out with a blow dryer..seriously it was pretty bad for me
Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 05:32 AM
I .. um .. fell asleep around 8PM. By that time we STILL hadn't had anything significant past a few lightning strikes close by. I dunno if it did anything decent around here after that. I was really hoping to see something significant too.

The sunset just before then shone through the clouds, giving an eerie yellow twilight and making all the houses look mustard-colored ... it was awesome ...
Posted By: ElKy Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 10:39 AM
driving in that sucked.
i cant believe how much stuff got thrown at my car.
i forgot about a huge dip in th eraod nea rthe train tracks and when i hit it the water came over my hood.
bah!
we didn't get hit too hard, but the wind must have been crazy.
When Mike and I got home, the shower curtain was blown all the way open and a shampoo bottle got blown off the shelf!
also our garbage can was totall tipped over and a patio chair was knocked over.
crazy.
I wish I coulda seen that blast come through!

awesome lightning storm too!
Posted By: sail114 Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 01:45 PM
Nice! Nothing like turning the 'tour into a boat. I was in Groton driving home from work and the side of the road was one giant river... which sucked because of all the silty [censored] that was being thrown up on my roof/windshield/hood.
Thank god for a well-designed splashguard system. All I could think of was getting the plug wires wet and killing the car. --why I used to love driving diesels.
We were at Home Depot in Hooksett when the worst of it passed through. We decided to wait inside until the rain slowed down. By the time we got home it was pouring again. It made the yard work a little tough to get done.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 03:19 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

it was like war of the worlds! I thought that alien ship was gonna bust out and freggin pop a laser up my arse!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

it was like war of the worlds! I thought that alien ship was gonna bust out and freggin pop a laser up my arse!

I was thinking the same sh*t when I was watching the lightning from my house. They say lightning never strikes the same spot twice, but I'm not convinced.

I stared at the same spot in the sky for 5 mins and I saw lighting continue to come down in the same spot the whole time.
Posted By: sail114 Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 04:25 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

I was thinking the same sh*t when I was watching the lightning from my house. They say lightning never strikes the same spot twice, but I'm not convinced.

I stared at the same spot in the sky for 5 mins and I saw lighting continue to come down in the same spot the whole time.

Actually I think because the area where the lightening came down in already pre-charged, it has a higher chance of striking in that same general area then eslewhere... but I could be mistaking.

The scariest was when I was sailing up from the Cape back to Gloucester 2 years ago and a squall line moved offshore from Boston. You've never experienced a lightening storm until you have it striking the water 200 feet from your boat, and you're the only 35 foot aluminum mast in what appeared to be a 10 mile radius.
Posted By: ElKy Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 07/28/05 09:45 PM
tons of trees knocked down in lowell
big one too

crazy schtuff
Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/19/06 10:24 PM
And again

hopefully it does something more in Worcester county than last year's did
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/19/06 10:48 PM
sweet! I love thunderstorms!
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/19/06 10:50 PM
I was thinking of knauberizing this week too
disappointed again ...
Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 01:17 AM
Originally posted by BrApple:
disappointed again ...

blah you're right. Hasn't even started here yet, and yahoo is showing barely moderate rain now.
ugh will it get here already?! damn!
I know we've had tons of rain lately, but we didn't water our plants or the plants at my parents place tonight because we expected a storm.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Rouar:
Originally posted by BrApple:
disappointed again ...

blah you're right. Hasn't even started here yet, and yahoo is showing barely moderate rain now.

what a lame storm!
Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 02:09 AM
yeah .. and now yahoo is showing no rain! w00t!
Posted By: ElKy Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 11:19 AM
i was out walking the puppy last night and the sky was dark and had teh feeling of rain, but nothing ever came of it.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 05:32 PM
Yep, that was a pretty nice storm when it hit here (a little above Albany). There was tons of lightening and it poured incredibly hard. But it made such a change in temperature and humidity here. Last night it was beautiful.
I just got one of those annoying weather advisories over my radio.
Expect nickel sized hail!
It's coming right for us!
(MA and southern NH).

The GL will get nailed, but it'll be cool to hear that racket hit the roof here.

Although last time we were told hail, we got nuttin'.

Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 05:47 PM
w00t! I'm outside right now (covered deck, like brapple's house) and it just turned from sunny to dark in a minute. I can hear all sorts of thunder - should probably head in soon. My dog is getting scared and such ...
Posted By: ElKy Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 05:53 PM
we had a nasty little downpour here around 12:15.

kim, i heard an advisory like that last night on my way up to salem to wash the puppy.
they said nickel sized hail last night too!

wait, it has been raining today

(gets up and takes a walk to the door to actually see outside ....)

edit: lies, lies I say, its overcast and a little humid, not as bad as yesterday ...
Posted By: ElKy Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 06:02 PM
well, you are a little ways away from me.

hell, saturday around 8 pm it started pouring in Lowell.
15 miles away in North reading my parents were sitting outside on the deck all night and not a drop of rain fell.
Originally posted by ElKy:
well, you are a little ways away from me.

hell, saturday around 8 pm it started pouring in Lowell.
15 miles away in North reading my parents were sitting outside on the deck all night and not a drop of rain fell.

yup I have had stuff like that happen at home, pretty interesting to say the least
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 06:34 PM
Fuggin storm went right around us again. I have a ton of fertilizer I put down on the yard yesterday. It rained here for literally 1 minute last night and again about 10 minutes ago and thats it! Dammit!
Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 06:36 PM
Same here .. at least I actually heard some thunder tonight ... the map shows the severe weather literally stopping at a line right before it hits our town, like I have a force field around our house or something.

Ok next time there's a storm I'm not posting.
Posted By: ElKy Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 06:39 PM
i hate rain!!!
keep it away!!!
well, at least until i can afford to do the roof on my gargae and house. and pave my backyard!
haha
Same here .. at least I actually heard some thunder tonight ... the map shows the severe weather literally stopping at a line right before it hits our town, like I have a force field around our house or something.

Ok next time there's a storm I'm not posting.

naw, just drive into the storm

you will see it that way
Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 06:48 PM
You know .. I actually had time today to do that ...
You know .. I actually had time today to do that ...

whats this time thing that you speak off? I have been at work since aroudn 6 - 630 ... leaving sometime after 4, maybe five, and driving down with the gf to return the rental she has since her car was in for a repair yesterday that took longer then expected ...
Posted By: rouar Re: I hear thunder in the background ... - 06/20/06 07:08 PM
It won't happen starting next week, I guarantee you. Combine ~2 hour commute each way with a 8:30-5 job means I'll be unavailable from 5am till 7pm each weekday. I'm enjoying my last week of freedom (though I'm off to work in a few minutes for the other job!)
It won't happen starting next week, I guarantee you. Combine ~2 hour commute each way with a 8:30-5 job means I'll be unavailable from 5am till 7pm each weekday. I'm enjoying my last week of freedom (though I'm off to work in a few minutes for the other job!)

I know the whole commuting thing, gl and find a place sooner then later and you will thank yourself
© CEG Archives