Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TourDeForce DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/21/04 02:17 PM
A little guide for those not familiar with the area:

Most young CEGers tend to favor the Tellico Plains area at the entry to the Chero-Hala Skyway. Great driving as soon as you leave the parking lots.

Friendly management and a picturesque backdrop consisting of the Tellico River & the foothills of the Smokey Mountains set this KOA site apart from any others I've seen. They have tent sites from $19 & sleeping cabins for up to 4 from $35:
http://www.koatellicoplains.com/

For those who prefer something a little less rustic and close to their CEGer friends at the cabins, try the local bed & breakfast, $80 double with breakfast included:
http://www.tellicoinn.com/

Robbinsville, NC is at the opposite end of the Skyway, at the very tip of the Dragons tail. Probably the most popular stay for the motorcycling crowd and PLENTY of choices to fit most any budget. National chains to mom & pop BnBs, but I have not stayed there myself - yet:
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/accomodations_robbinsville.html

Best Western Sweetwater, TN located off I-75 at Hwy 68 about 30 minutes from Tellico Plains is one of my favorites because I like to warm my engine up before I cross the Skyway & tame the Dragon â?? not to mention the indoor pool & free breakfast buffet. Not just toast & bagels, but bacon, waffles, 7 kinds of juice, just about everything you can think of. Can be a budget saver if you bring the kids, and they will take small pets too $60-$80 per night, internet rates may be available:
http://travel.weatherhub.com/SWEETWATER-TN-US/BW-SWEETWATER.asp

Add your suggestions to this thread if you wish. Perhaps we can start a dinner/hangout planning thread too.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/21/04 03:44 PM
I'll stay at home. I'm just an hour away.
Posted By: Kinyoto Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/21/04 04:02 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
A little guide for those not familiar with the area:

Most young CEGers tend to favor the Tellico Plains area at the entry to the Chero-Hala Skyway. Great driving as soon as you leave the parking lots.

Friendly management and a picturesque backdrop consisting of the Tellico River & the foothills of the Smokey Mountains set this KOA site apart from any others I've seen. They have tent sites from $19 & sleeping cabins for up to 4 from $35:
http://www.koatellicoplains.com/

For those who prefer something a little less rustic and close to their CEGer friends at the cabins, try the local bed & breakfast, $80 double with breakfast included:
http://www.tellicoinn.com/

Robbinsville, NC is at the opposite end of the Skyway, at the very tip of the Dragons tail. Probably the most popular stay for the motorcycling crowd and PLENTY of choices to fit most any budget. National chains to mom & pop BnBs, but I have not stayed there myself - yet:
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/accomodations_robbinsville.html

Best Western Sweetwater, TN located off I-75 at Hwy 68 about 30 minutes from Tellico Plains is one of my favorites because I like to warm my engine up before I cross the Skyway & tame the Dragon â?? not to mention the indoor pool & free breakfast buffet. Not just toast & bagels, but bacon, waffles, 7 kinds of juice, just about everything you can think of. Can be a budget saver if you bring the kids, and they will take small pets too $60-$80 per night, internet rates may be available:
http://travel.weatherhub.com/SWEETWATER-TN-US/BW-SWEETWATER.asp

Add your suggestions to this thread if you wish. Perhaps we can start a dinner/hangout planning thread too.

Thanks for the great info....any suggestions on how far out to reserve any of these...(not counting the tent's...not a camper..to many of those days in the Army).
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/21/04 04:44 PM
Make your reservations as soon as possible for these reasons:
  • You'll get better rates from the big chains if you reserve in advance, and can change the reservation if you find a better deal.
  • The popular local spots like the cabins in Tellico Plains will fill up first - I don't know how many they have available, but they're limited.
I do suggest that you coordinate with any folks you like to hang out with so you can stay in the same place.

Overall, there will be PLENTY of space for everybody to stay at very reasonable prices - even the last minute tag alongs (and you're most welcome to drive with us at the last minute). We may not get everybody in the same location, but choices abound.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/21/04 06:38 PM
I'm gonna stay at Eric's house, he's just an hour away (or about 20 minutes if I drive).
Posted By: Kinyoto Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/21/04 08:58 PM
Well..I am a new CEGer so this will be my first big gathering....maybe I will have met some of the Raleigh guys before then
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/22/04 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I'm gonna stay at Eric's house, he's just an hour away (or about 20 minutes if I drive).

I think you misunderstand, Ross. I live 2 hours away, or 1 hour if I drive.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/22/04 04:53 AM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:

I think you misunderstand, Ross. I live 2 hours away, or 1 hour if I drive.

I did a 50 mile drive in under 30 minutes the other night. And we actually went sorta slow for much of it. Just give me a chance and we'll see. Do you have a chip, that speed limiter is fun, eh?
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/22/04 04:57 AM
No chip. I like the guvnah, he's a good guy. He keeps me from hitting trees at 120+.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/22/04 05:09 AM
No chip. I like the guvnah, he's a good guy. He keeps me from hitting trees at 120+.

Haha, yeah he can be helpful sometimes, but luckily in south georgia, we don't have many curves to make us go off roading un-willingly.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/22/04 02:57 PM

Haha, yeah he can be helpful sometimes, but luckily in south georgia, we don't have many curves to make us go off roading un-willingly.

OK guys. Stop hijacking the info thread. Nothing else to see here, move along people, move along....
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/22/04 04:02 PM

OK guys. Stop hijacking the info thread. Nothing else to see here, move along people, move along....

Sorry to take up space where you can slander Weapon R. I mean c'mon, even the name is fast! R!!!
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/23/04 01:49 AM
We need this thumbtacked at the top
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/23/04 12:57 PM
Who's moderatin' aroun' these here parts?
Posted By: unisys12 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/23/04 02:45 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:

Who needs a sticky post `round here when you have Eric and Ross posting in the same thread??
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/23/04 06:43 PM
Originally posted by unisys12:

Who needs a sticky post `round here when you have Eric and Ross posting in the same thread??

Are you calling me a thumbtack?
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/23/04 06:45 PM
Originally posted by unisys12:

Are you calling me a thumbtack?

[Fonz]Eeeehhhhh! Sit on it![/Fonz]
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/23/04 07:33 PM
Would you guys please quit cluttering up the info thread.

And just so you know...

Chicks REALLY dig a guy that can PM instead of posting in info threads. Yeah, really. Check it out. You'll pro'lly get lucky this weekend if you start right away.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/23/04 11:08 PM
This weekend nothin! Sorry Jim, I'd delete all my worthless, annoying, uninformed, and wasteful posts, but deleting all 4,204 of 'em would take a long time!
Posted By: unisys12 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/24/04 12:53 AM
Would you guys please quit cluttering up the info thread.

And just so you know...

Chicks REALLY dig a guy that can PM instead of posting in info threads. Yeah, really. Check it out. You'll pro'lly get lucky this weekend if you start right away.

My point was made for me, without me even having to post.

Oops! I just did!

But seriously... The wife and I have been watching these two threads closely because we are thinking about trying to make it. After I saw all the classic hogging going on, I couldn't resist!
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/30/04 02:02 PM
Caney Creek Village

This is where my wife and I stayed last year and get this, its only 3.5 miles from the very beginning of The Cherahola Skyway, very convienant The cabin cost us $135.00 for THREE nights, can't beat that! In addition to that, the cabins are very nice and they do have two larger cabins that have two beds and a jacuzzi , those cost $90.00 a night IIRC. The local town has a pizza place, a Hardees, a small supermarket and a great little restaraunt called The Tellica Cafe', good food and family owned and operated. Theres also a gas station and quarter car wash, a must

Heres the address info if you want to do a quick mapquest

P.O. Box 296
5854 Hwy 360
Tellico Plains, TN 37385

BTW, if you call them and tell em' your intentions and ask, they'll send you a bunch of info on the surrounding area, very helpful
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 07/30/04 08:35 PM
I checked their rates link and I see the prices are higher, but IIRC, thats what the rates were last year and they only charged us $135.00 for 3 nights, hmmm Something else we could do is a kinda of GB on this. I'm going to get my cabin reserved by the first week of September, so maybe we can get a group rate on this, you'll not be sorry
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/10/04 12:06 AM
Caney Creek Village

This is where my wife and I stayed last year and get this, its only 3.5 miles from the very beginning of The Cherahola Skyway, very convienant The cabin cost us $135.00 for THREE nights, can't beat that! In addition to that, the cabins are very nice and they do have two larger cabins that have two beds and a jacuzzi , those cost $90.00 a night IIRC. The local town has a pizza place, a Hardees, a small supermarket and a great little restaraunt called The Tellica Cafe', good food and family owned and operated. Theres also a gas station and quarter car wash, a must

Heres the address info if you want to do a quick mapquest

P.O. Box 296
5854 Hwy 360
Tellico Plains, TN 37385

BTW, if you call them and tell em' your intentions and ask, they'll send you a bunch of info on the surrounding area, very helpful

I plan on pre-paying for my cabin the first week of Sept and will let them know theres possibly a couple more of us staying with them, so maybe they'll cut us a break, they did last year as I only paid $135.00 for (3) nights, GREAT deal and great people to deal with
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/15/04 02:34 AM
Is anyone planning on stayin' at Cany Creek
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/15/04 02:43 AM
Looks like most are looking to stay in the Tellico area in or near the cabins. I'll still be in Sweetwater - I love that free breakfast buffet & the jacuzzi!

It also looks like my daughter will be driving the ZX2, so I'll have 2 cars at the meet. This is gonna be sup'm!
Posted By: zm830101 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/15/04 04:14 AM
I am plannin on being at caney creek!! i need to call and talk to them about the rates though. i want to know if we will be charged peak season or off season rates
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/24/04 08:02 PM
Since most of us are staying in the Tellico Plains area we all need to have a good dinner at the Tellica Cafe', great food from a little local restaraunt, support the locals
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/24/04 08:58 PM
What about the Hardee's that plays gangsta rap? "You can find me in da club..."
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/24/04 10:41 PM
Well if you're like me, you eat more than one meal a day. Let's hit any/all of the interesting local eateries.
Posted By: SAV Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/25/04 02:40 AM
Well if you're like me, you eat more than one meal a day. Let's hit any/all of the interesting local eateries.

Damn right. I am so down for some food any time anyone else is. And at times no one else is.

In fact, I'ma go raid the fridge...again.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/27/04 08:33 PM
My wife called in for my reservations today and it appears that one of the owners was involved in an auto accident, but she's ok and will call us back, so wish he a speedy recovery when/if you call them, thanks
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/30/04 04:59 AM
... was involved in an auto accident, ...

Freaky!

My daughter was hit by a guy that ran a red light. She's OK, but I'm not sure if the car is gonna make it to the Dragon. I still plan to be there with my Contour & whatever car we have come October.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/30/04 05:11 AM
Glad she's OK. ((get a focus))
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/30/04 09:01 PM
A mountains view
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/30/04 10:48 PM
Jim - two words: Ding King.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/30/04 11:52 PM
That was so wrong it was funny!

Well like I said before, "Don't put anything in stone!", we will not be able to make it this year. Based on the timing of everything, I would have only gotten two full paychecks at the time of the meet.

Thanks for the offer Jim, but we ran the numbers and we have found one thing... The numbers do not like us right now!

We will just have to shoot for next year.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/31/04 12:12 AM
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/31/04 01:43 AM

We'll miss you & Kim #1 with your sweet childrens laughter... I'll have a drink to you guys <S>.

(Runs away after kicking Eric in the shin)
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/31/04 01:58 AM
LMAO!!!

See what you'll be missin Phil n Kim #1?!??!?!
Posted By: unisys12 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 08/31/04 02:28 AM
LMAO!!!

See what you'll be missin Phil n Kim #1?!??!?!

Yeah... I know...

I just hope everyone takes a ton of pictures!! Welp! I've had enough of these tests for now. I've got 10 of the 18 down so far. I going to watch a movie with the old lady!
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/03/04 02:14 AM
... was involved in an auto accident, ...

Freaky!

My daughter was hit by a guy that ran a red light. She's OK, but I'm not sure if the car is gonna make it to the Dragon. I still plan to be there with my Contour & whatever car we have come October.

Glad to hear your daughter is ok, but do yourself a favor and pull off that rear wing off of the ZX2, it looks great on a Contour, trust me
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/19/04 06:49 PM
Chris, wanna get the 6 person cabin? Between me, u, and sean, that will be $73 each to stay there two nites. I should have two girls with me, actually I'll need you to take a couple folks in your car probably. Or we get the cheaper cabin with two bed. These girls r cool so it doesn't matter what we get to them. We gotta get sean real drunk though so he'll definitely sleep on the floor. Sound like a plan? Bring whateva you prefer to wear in a hottub, we'll definitely be hittin dat up.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/19/04 06:57 PM
Chris, we're getting the 6 person cabin dood. I did my math and it's only $16 more or so each to get it. Party in my cabin!!!!
Posted By: SAV Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/19/04 11:24 PM
I'm so down with that Ross.

On a side note, Jim, terribly sorry to hear of your daughter's mishap. Seems the world isn't liking ZX2s lately. That's two down in a matter of days.

Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/19/04 11:49 PM
Aw Chris, that'll buff right out.
Posted By: SAV Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/19/04 11:50 PM
I already have a Ding King.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/20/04 07:30 PM
Ok, called to make reservations, their website showed that they still had plenty of cabins left, they need to update it. Anyways, a stupid motorcycle group booked it all up. I really wanted a cabin, anybody know if there are any other ones in the area? If not, what would be a good hotel or something for 5-7 people? I gotta get my crunkness going on somewhere. Thanks.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/20/04 07:57 PM
I still havn't called, but Jim is staying at the Holiday Inn in Sweetwater; I need to call and make a reservation, too.

Jim - do they have a sweet pimp suite?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/20/04 08:04 PM
I can't find a Holiday Inn in Sweetwater, found one in Athens, TN, but how far is that from everything? Any hotel should have a suite, but if it's more than $125 a night or so, I don't want it. I shot off a buncha emails to cabins,etc. in the area. We'll see.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/20/04 08:05 PM
I still havn't called, but Jim is staying at the Holiday Inn in Sweetwater; I need to call and make a reservation, too.

Jim - do they have a sweet pimp suite?

If you're talkin' to me, I'll be booking at the Best Western in Sweetwater by the end of this week. Rates are just over $60 per night, but well worth it 'cause I likes my comforts. Pool, jacuzzi, free buffet breakfasts to the max (there was last year).

Use choicehotels.com and click on the internet users rate thingy when you start your room search.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/20/04 08:29 PM
Yeah that's what I said, Best Western.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/20/04 08:37 PM
If it comes down to it, we'll probably just get two rooms, most likely at Best Western.
Posted By: SAV Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/20/04 08:46 PM
As long as there's a jacuzzi, I don't care if I have to camp out in a tent.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/20/04 08:59 PM
Originally posted by SAV-ZX2:
As long as there's a jacuzzi, I don't care if I have to camp out in a tent.

Doesn't really matter what you want, it matters what the girls want.
Posted By: SAV Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/21/04 03:28 AM
It matters what I want from the girls too.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/21/04 03:34 AM
It matters what I want from the girls too.

Yeah, but well I'm calling both of the ones I'm bringing (should be bringing, they wanna come, just gotta make sure nothing else going down) cuz they're both cool. We might bring more. Like I said, go find some chicks, tell them they get to see pretty mountains and crap.
Posted By: SAV Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/21/04 03:51 AM
They're down for the pretty mountains and flowery...flowers.

But once I tell them that I'm going, they seem to suddenly have plans.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/21/04 04:06 AM
They're down for the pretty mountains and flowery...flowers.

But once I tell them that I'm going, they seem to suddenly have plans.

Tell them I'm going, they'll come.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/22/04 12:09 AM
Aight, we got a cabin at http://www.panthercreekproperties.com/ in Robbinsville. That is if I gave the woman my correct address, so confusing living in two places. No hot tub, but it's a pretty sweet cabin.

Also yellow branch called me and said they have no places but had room the week after that, nice people.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/22/04 03:04 PM
Aw you shoulda got the room at Yellow Branch. That's an awesome photo chop waiting to happen.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: DRAGON RUN '04 Accomodations - 09/22/04 05:13 PM
Bawhwahaha.
© CEG Archives