Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SVTaslinger Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/20/03 04:04 AM
February 23rd some Focal Jetters and SVTOA folks are planning on going to Deals Gap. I mentioned the idea to the CEGrs at the regional meet now I would like to extend the invite to everyone else. Hopefully we will have a big crowd to go tame the dragon.
Posted By: chemguru_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/20/03 05:04 AM
Werd! I wanna go!

Now to decide which vehicle to take...

--JamesT
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/20/03 02:36 PM
I'd be intersted in going. Been a while since I last went.
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/20/03 03:20 PM
I would love to go as well, but not going to the TN side. Long story, do a search. But, I can't come on this time of the year. If you guys go down in the fall again, I'll be there!
Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/20/03 05:17 PM
Ill be there more than likely. Where and when is everyone meeting? It will be my first time going. Im a dragons tail virgin. chemguru, you have to take the SVT man, if you take the bike, youll leave us behind!
Posted By: SVTJoe_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/20/03 05:32 PM
Don't feel bad I am a Dragon's Tail virgin also. But I so want to go, but in clear nice weather.

Joe
Posted By: SVTaslinger Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/21/03 05:44 AM
There is a store at the intersection of TN hwy 72 and US 129 where we usually meet at. Don't have a time frame yet.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/21/03 12:05 PM
I'm down, I've never done it before either, but it sounds like a blast.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/21/03 12:41 PM
Alright.. I MUST be a dragon's tail virgin.. WTF is THAT??

call me stupid, but still tell me..

Ray

Posted By: tiv_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/21/03 02:08 PM

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

it's a place where you dismount the radar detector
because it blocks most of your corner view

a word of advice: if you go there, drive. most ppl who
go there as passengers, will learn a couple of things
about carsickness

T.

Posted By: SVTaslinger Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/21/03 04:08 PM
A FocalJetter had a good point about meeting at that store on 129. They didnt seem to appreciate us sitting there when there were only three of us, so I know they dont wont to see a convoy sittin there. I might have to take a trip up there this weekend( I hate that) to find a good meeting place.
Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/21/03 10:27 PM
This should be fun, ill definetly go if there are more contours there. I can meet all you ATL people in ATL if you want, and then we could caravan up to wherever the others meet at. Ive heard that its an awesome drive, cant wait to find out for myself.
Posted By: perry_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/22/03 01:33 AM
Here's pictures of the last time we went: http://www.webmasterp.com/gallery/dragon

This should explain Chris' relunctance to travel in TN: http://www.webmasterp.com/gallery/dragon/abe
Posted By: chemguru_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/22/03 04:42 AM
Originally posted by midnghtflm:
Alright.. I MUST be a dragon's tail virgin.. WTF is THAT??

call me stupid, but still tell me..

Ray

11 miles... 318 turns...

I haven't taken the CSVT, so I'll most likely be in that. I'll save the bike for another time...

--JamesT
Posted By: Wthermans_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/22/03 06:52 AM
I will try to go...I will also try to get a time to do a solo run to see how it is this time of year. The dragon is only about 30-45 minutes from me . I'm buying a new truck so I may take it up there and take a nice drive.
Posted By: SVTaslinger Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/22/03 01:49 PM
Here ya go, for those that dont know.
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/23/03 01:40 AM
Originally posted by perry:
Here's pictures of the last time we went: http://www.webmasterp.com/gallery/dragon

This should explain Chris' relunctance to travel in TN: http://www.webmasterp.com/gallery/dragon/abe

Thanks, P for reminding me.

Yeah, when we went, we all had a blast! I really want to come back down, but sometime in the Fall. Hope you guys go and take lots of pix!
Posted By: SVTJoe_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/23/03 03:09 AM
Anyone have an idea of what the weather will be like in February? Will the road be clear enough to be safe, don't want to wreck my baby.

Just Askin,
Joe
Posted By: JVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/23/03 08:13 PM
I'd be up for a run in October...

-John
Posted By: Wthermans_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/23/03 10:17 PM
Weather conditions is the greatest threat. We have had bone-chilling temperatures here in the TN Valley and quite a bit of snow. Most of our snow seems to fall in the Jan-Mar season also.
Posted By: SVTJoe_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/23/03 10:40 PM
Oh well I don't think I will going if there is snow and weather threats.

Lets try and go up when weather is better. What does everyone think?

Joe
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/23/03 11:06 PM
Originally posted by JVT:
I'd be up for a run in October...

-John

Oh man, if its in Oct, I am coming down. That would be so much fun, plus, I now have the BAT kit and the S03's. Whee, grip, grip and more grip!
Posted By: Wthermans_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/23/03 11:42 PM
October would be awesome for me as well...I will have the TCE Wilwood Kit most likely by then
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/23/03 11:54 PM
I think we would have a better chance with the weather doing it in October. I would be up for doing it then as well.
Posted By: SVTaslinger Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/24/03 04:32 AM
OK here it is: People over on FocalJet are gonna meet and caravan up. Exit 60 on I75 in TN is hwy 68. Get off the exit go right, McDonalds is immediate left. Meet there around 12:30-1. Caravan up and meet the rest of the TN folks at the overlook at Deals Gap. In the event of inclimate weather dont bother coming up. I ,as will be the other TN folks, will bekeeping an eye on the weather. I will try to make a last minute post to give updates.

BTW: if you all can get the two way radios like we had in ATL that will be great( motorola talkabouts or whatever). They are great for cop spotting.
Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/24/03 05:19 AM
Ok guys, whats the deal? Is anyone still going to go on the 23rd? Tim, you still going to go? Im still up for it as long as the weather holds out. But if everyone wants to hold off till Oct, thats fine with me. I can go then. But I will still go in Feb (even if you guys wait till Oct) if some one else will go too.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/24/03 05:25 AM
i'll go, if i can drive somebody's svt, and if somebody will work at my job for me. i wish i had money.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/24/03 12:25 PM
I don't know what happened? What's this october thing? I'll go then, but I want to go in Feb too. Aurthur I'm down man, the Atlanta SVTOA is going on the same day again too. Hopefully Matt (Matt2kSVT) will go this time, he's got a T-red svt too. Joe.... you still comin'?
Posted By: SVTJoe_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/24/03 12:40 PM
I don't know, it depends on the weather situation up there.

TN keep us posted of the conditions up there.

Joe
Posted By: Wthermans_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/24/03 04:31 PM
Ok I will make a drive up there a few days before the 23rd and check out the overall conditions of the road.
Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/25/03 03:31 AM
Well, if nothing else, me and you are in for sure Tim. Should be a good time. And this way, if a bigger group goes in October, we will have a heads-up and know the road better.
Posted By: Blorton_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/28/03 04:53 AM
Sorry guys, but I think you'll find visiting the Tail at the end of February to be a disappointing experience.

A friend of mine just went up there, and there's snow all over the place, along with lots of sand in the corners. As much as we might hope for the best, these are mountain roads, and it will be well into March before they are worth visiting.

Sorry.

Dan Beggs
99 Cougar V6
00 VFR800 - dragon bit
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/28/03 02:06 PM
So, do I hear a Fall ToD run?!?
Posted By: JVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/30/03 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy:
So, do I hear a Fall ToD run?!?

W3rd.

I'm up for it.

-J
Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/30/03 07:17 PM
Yeh, Im definetly down for a fall run. Tim and Joe, do you still plan on going Feb 23rd with the SVTOA or are we just going to not worry about it until the fall?
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/30/03 08:03 PM
Unless it's snowin' I'm goin'.
Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 01/30/03 10:40 PM
Haha, nice rhyme dude. Im going to start calling you eminem. Alright, Im still in then as long as another is.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/07/03 07:46 PM
Aight ya bastaads, what's goin' on here, I ain't just gonna go up there... who's comin' with me????? Arthur? Joemama?

Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/07/03 10:10 PM
Joemama. Hah, thats great. Im still in for this one. Like you said, if it aint snowin', im goin'. The 23rd is on a sunday, maybe I can meet up with you in ATL? Or I might even come up and check out the ATl scene saturday night.
Posted By: SVTJoe_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/07/03 11:49 PM
Tim,

that wasn't directed at me now was it? j/k

nah, i am not going, wait til it is nicer out

Joe
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/10/03 12:45 PM
No offense Joe... that just cracks me up I guess we'll be seeing you next time then huh?
Thats good to hear that you're still coming Aurthur, I'll post back in this thread again as it gets closer. Maybe we'll exchange cell numbers or something....
Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/10/03 05:35 PM
Sounds good to me. Now to get the car tuned-up and something done about my brakes before then.
Posted By: SVTJoe_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/10/03 09:04 PM
Yeah, I will see you soon, maybe in Nashville.

Joe
Posted By: SVTaslinger Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/20/03 04:25 AM
Calling it a NO GO for this weekend. Snow predicted for all weekend NO GO!!!
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/20/03 12:53 PM
Oh fukn well, better luck next time then... dammit!
Posted By: WR99SVT_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/20/03 10:43 PM
Thats too bad. Oh well, I guess we will just have to go in October.
Posted By: Coil99_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 02/21/03 03:02 AM
Originally posted by SVTaslinger:
Snow predicted for all weekend

They are forecasting snow for this weekend...don't want any more of that. And it is supposed to rain straight through until it switches over to snow. I'm in the next county over and it's raining some now.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Deals Gap/ Dragons Tail - 03/07/03 04:30 AM
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump! TTT! Josh says this is going to be rescheduled for Sunday, March 9, unless it rains again. I'll be going to this one! I don't know the exact details of the run-meet times and what not, I just know when I have to be at Josh's house to leave. Lemme know if anyone has questions about stuff and I'll be sure he gets them.
© CEG Archives